Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nissan Leaf

Comments

Judging by the sounds of it the Ioniq EV would meet your needs perfectly well with some fast charging on longer trips.

I guarantee you'd prefer the Pure EV drive a lot more than hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Deedsie wrote: »
    Anyone know where the different Electric vehicles are manufactured? I like to try and buy from EU countries where possible and with the UK leaving the EU I don't really want to buy from cars manufactured in the U.K. Leaf from the Sunderland plant etc.

Will the 2nd gen Leaf be made in Sunderland? Are all RHD electric vehicles available on the Irish market built in the U.K.?
    Airside motors would have jap import Leafs every now and then.

Anyone know where the different Electric vehicles are manufactured? I like to try and buy from EU countries where possible and with the UK leaving the EU I don't really want to buy from cars manufactured in the U.K. Leaf from the Sunderland plant etc.

Will the 2nd gen Leaf be made in Sunderland? Are all RHD electric vehicles available on the Irish market built in the U.K.?

Why on earth would you not buy a car manufacturer in the E.U ?

Edit,

what I meant , why on earth would you not buy a car that hasn't been manufactured in the E.U.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Other way round Mad Lad, but it's still a strange question.
    I wouldn't give a fiddlers, as long as it was reputable for manufacturing.

Water John wrote: »
    Other way round Mad Lad, but it's still a strange question.
    I wouldn't give a fiddlers, as long as it was reputable for manufacturing.

Lol yeah, got it arse to front.

I couldn't give a fiddlers either , I think the Leaf is extremely well built from the Sunderland plant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Reading between the lines I'd say an anti British sentiment rather than a pro EU one and entitled to that view.

I'd be more interested in quality and value for money though.

I presume the BWM i3, VW e-Golf and Renault Zoe are EU manufactured?
    The new Ioniq is South Korea and Malaysia, I think.
    I doubt Sunderland plant is closing anytime soon so Gen 2 Leaf is likely to be feeding BEV's to the EU for a while yet.... pending tariff negotiations I suppose.

So why wouldn't you support British workers ? Who cares about the E.U when it comes to buying cars ?

If everyone thought like that the factory would close causing a lot of hardship for a lot of families......

Certainly no anti British sentiment behind it. Pro European I guess.

A quick look at wikipedia, if you consider that a good enough source, they are assembled as follows:

i3 - Leipzig, Germany
    Zoe - Flins, France
    e-Golf - Wolfsburg, Germany

Look at how VW thanked their loyal fans.

Ireland is part of and will continue to be part of the EU, they are our chief trading partners. I'm not trying to take business from a Sunderland plant I am creating business for a German or French plant.

Well I certainly would not want to contribute to the loss of Jobs and cause needless suffering for any family all because people chose to exercise their right to vote even if it may or may not turn out in a way I think it should.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Look at how VW thanked their loyal fans.

Deedsie doesn't care about loyalty , only a political agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Deedsie doesn't care about loyalty , only a political agenda.

This thread seems to have veered off course. I couldn't give a fiddlers where the Leaf is produced. If the product is right, it will sell. If it's not, it won't.

I couldn't give a fiddlers where the Leaf is produced. If the product is right, it will sell. If it's not, it won't.

I couldn't care where it's produced either, however , deciding not to buy a product based on the outcome of a democratically held election is just bonkers and if everyone had that opinion many people would be without jobs effecting real people and families.

I'm sure Angel is delighted with you. So we are going for EU protectionism.

I beg your pardon, my only agenda is buying from Irelands fellow EU countries rather than from other areas. I mean it's the same principle as buying Irish products to support the Irish economy as much as I can.

Buying Irish is one thing to support your own, other E.U countries are not Irish therefore not your own....... We do not produce cars.

You not Buying a car based on some political view is not damaging in itself nor is not buying a German car, however if enough people have the same views then it can have damaging consequences to real people and this is what matters not countries, people.

The E.U is heading in one direction and Brexit was the beginning and it will not be the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Ireland is part of and will continue to be part of the EU, they are our chief trading partners. I'm not trying to take business from a Sunderland plant I am creating business for a German or French plant.

The U.K. Is by far and away our chief trading partner

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Kennypants

I hate to interrupt the Brexit negotiations, and sorry for the amateur hour quoting, but I can't for the life of me get those quote buttons to work. It just ain't happening; maybe it's a new user restriction.

@KCross

"Will you be able to plug in the granny cable at your house? I think that will be important since you are not keen on installing a proper EVSE in your rented house."

Yes, I'll be using the granny cable. As I am (almost certainly) importing, that will be supplied as I think they are standard issue with UK Leafs. I'll pick up a Type 2 to Type 1 while there, or maybe I'll haggle one in as part of the deal.

"You don't want to depend on the public network from a money and practical perspective. If you can plug in the granny cable and protect it from the weather it will work fine for a day or two per week. I used the granny cable daily for a few months and it did the job fine. You just need to make sure you can keep the plug dry."

That's my hunch, I've been watching the accessibility of public charge points a I go about my business of late, and it's not encouraging. They are routinely blocked by ICEs who treat them like any other parking spot. I will have to plan any longer trips carefully to make sure there is always another near my planned charging point that I can fall back on. Otherwise—and more likely—I'll swap cars with my dad for the day if that's what's needed.

"We are a family of five as well and it manages fine so no worries there."

That's reassuring. My primary reason for choosing electric is TCO. The environmental benefits are well and good, and secondary, to be honest. the free availability of work charging is what clinches the deal for me. Seeing that it is also a reasonably practical family car for others is helpful. We have higher expectations than we used to, also. the five of us crammed into our Fiat Panda for a holiday to France back in 1987, roof rack and all. Still don't know how my dad did it.

@pwurple

"We are a 5 person family, 24kwh leaf for almost 2 years. Buggy, yes, out n about nipper single, or double, both fit with loads of room. 2 isofix carseats, not a problem, with room in the middle for another person. Can't fit three carseats."

As I said to KCross, that's good to hear... Three carseats is a long way off for us!

"I've been exclusively charging at work for the last month or so. Not a problem. Enjoying preheating the car from my phone every evening and morning before i head off. We live in cork city. Cork- Killarney is not a problem in the leaf. Piece of cake. Or dublin, galway, athlone, limerick. All easy peasy. The only time we took an ice was a trip to donegal."

I still wonder about *relying* on public chargers for longer trips though, but perhaps it's not so bad. I'm living in Midleton and the two charge point areas are routinely blocked during the day, but perhaps this is not the case everywhere.

"I use public charging infrastructure once in a blue moon, so it really doesn't affect me. And you're going to love the cork benefits on drive4zero. Free parking in loads of places, all very well marked on street and in the multistories on the city."

I looked this up and it appears to only apply to those who buy their car with the SEI grant, but I intend to import. Does anyone know if this can be circumvented for those who import their cars from the UK?

I did—as it happens—investigate car finance here and the current scrappage deal with Nissan, but the terms are hilarious. GMFV contingent on 10,000 km a year or less? Sure. Yeah. Deal me in. Will you give me a set of floor mats as well? Sound! There are a couple of reasons to go second-hand, one of the chief ones is that EVs' residual value goes off a cliff in the first year. Nearly-new used is the way to buy for for us, right now. I need to keep the monthly payments down without having the nuisance of an anchor payment at the end.

@Alessia Glamorous Peddle

"Judging by the sounds of it the 24 Kwh will suit you perfectly well, especially with work charging, just make sure it's the updated model from late 2013+, that one I linked to is a updated model (mid spec) which is more efficient with a much better battery than the original leaf 20111-late 2013 and it has the 6.6 Kw AC charger which means charging from the standard street charge points in half the time, saving time waiting at fast chargers should you travel further it, arrive in town , plug in and get 50% charge in 2 hrs, could be plenty for return trip. For instance, I travel to Blanch centre , 80 kms one way, plug in, 2-2.5 hrs later return to a almost fully charged car, 2 hrs would probably even get me home at a decent speed. I don't have to come back and then wait to fast charge.

That leaf is worth serious consideration !"

I looked at that car, and I noted the spec. It does look likely that a 30kwh model is beyond me (but we'll see, I might be able to stretch a few more quid), but from what you and others are saying, a 6.6 Kw charger should be the main requirement for me. I can see the sense in that, a bigger battery is not much good when you are waiting twice as long for a fill of electrons.

Does anyone know if the pre-heat feature is standard, or is it part of the "Cold Pack" option. I understand this option is not available on UK Leafs. It's not a dealbreaker by any means, but it would be nice to have.

Thanks very much for your help, folks. I've really appreciated it.

Kennypants wrote: »
    I looked at that car, and I noted the spec. It does look likely that a 30kwh model is beyond me (but we'll see, I might be able to stretch a few more quid), but from what you and others are saying, a 6.6 Kw charger should be the main requirement for me. I can see the sense in that, a bigger battery is not much good when you are waiting twice as long for a fill of electrons.
    30kwh is going to be out of range price wise - they're simply too fresh yet. If you did stump up the money for an outright purchase of one, you are going to suffer a big chunk of depreciation almost immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Sorry a non sleeping baby means I can't read through, but what sort of range would you expect out of an 11/12 leaf? Also what would be the rough cost of getting a home charge point installed? Also how long would you roughly expect a battery to be useful for.

I did—as it happens—investigate car finance here and the current scrappage deal with Nissan, but the terms are hilarious. GMFV contingent on 10,000 km a year or less? Sure. Yeah. Deal me in. Will you give me a set of floor mats as well? Sound! There are a couple of reasons to go second-hand, one of the chief ones is that EVs' residual value goes off a cliff in the first year. Nearly-new used is the way to buy for for us, right now. I need to keep the monthly payments down without having the nuisance of an anchor payment at the end.

I got PCP with 30K Kms a year, it's no real problem if you go over a few thousand, if you go way over it might effect resale value for instance, if your PCP allowance is 7K a year and you drive 30K Kms then this will seriously effect your resale value compared to having 30 K Kms a year and driving 35K Kms, the car will have suffered most of the depreciation for which you are paying on PCP anyway, + interest. So choose PCP mileage carefully.
    I can see the sense in that, a bigger battery is not much good when you are waiting twice as long for a fill of electrons.

A bigger battery is always better and it means more range from your home charge point, get the max range you can afford. Even if the battery is 40 Kwh you'll still get the same or roughly the same Kms per same time on the charger of the same power the difference being that 40 Kwh gives you about twice the range of 24 Kwh from your home charge point and not to be underestimated. The 6.6 Kw charger is definitely very convenient when you need it even if you don't need it every day.

The 30 Kwh leaf also charges faster at the fast charger and goes to 80% in roughly the same as the 24 Kwh for the same time on the charger but giving more range and could be worth it for longer trips.
    Does anyone know if the pre-heat feature is standard, or is it part of the "Cold Pack" option. I understand this option is not available on UK Leafs. It's not a dealbreaker by any means, but it would be nice to have.

Pre heat is standard on all leafs by setting a timer on the Navigation unit. Only the Mid spec "SV and top spec "SVE" have remote activation of heat and AC.

• Advertisement

The 30 Kwh leaf also charges faster at the fast charger and goes to 80% in roughly the same as the 24 Kwh for the same time on the charger but giving more range and could be worth it for longer trips.

The 30kwh is preferable yes - just as sometime soon, the 40kwh will be preferable, ad-nauseum. I'm not going to get into the PCP vs. outright purchase debate here - that's something that the OP has to decide upon. He also has to decide what mileage he will be doing, nature of driving/driving style, etc. etc.

No one size fits all - but there's enough info here for him to come to the conclusion that best meets his needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I got PCP with 30K Kms a year, it's no real problem if you go over a few thousand, if you go way over it might effect resale value for instance, if your PCP allowance is 7K a year and you drive 30K Kms then this will seriously effect your resale value compared to having 30 K Kms a year and driving 35K Kms, the car will have suffered most of the depreciation for which you are paying on PCP anyway, + interest. So choose PCP mileage carefully.

Mileage has no effect on PCP depreciation , you clearly do not understand how PCPs work, Alessia Glamorous Peddle . AT the end of the day if you exceed your PCP stated mileage all that happens is the GMFV is in essence reduced. BUT , the value you get for the car will be the commercial value , and may in fact be greater then the GMFV ( as is the hope of all PCP users !!) . Doing 30K on a 7K PCP, all That happens is the GMFV gets seriously reduced, but the dealer will give you the commercial value of the car NOT the GMFV , anyway once its higher then the GMFV

whether you are on HP , cash or PCP, the resale value is in essence a commercial value, which is of course affected by the mileage, BUT , the value is NOT affected by what type of finance you take out

The value of the car is the value of the car

BoatMad wrote: »
    Mileage has no effect on PCP depreciation , you clearly do not understand how PCPs work, Alessia Glamorous Peddle . AT the end of the day if you exceed your PCP stated mileage all that happens is the GMFV is in essence reduced. BUT , the value you get for the car will be the commercial value , and may in fact be greater then the GMFV ( as is the hope of all PCP users !!) . Doing 30K on a 7K PCP, all That happens is the GMFV gets seriously reduced, but the dealer will give you the commercial value of the car NOT the GMFV , anyway once its higher then the GMFV

whether you are on HP , cash or PCP, the resale value is in essence a commercial value, which is of course affected by the mileage, BUT , the value is NOT affected by what type of finance you take out

The value of the car is the value of the car

You must love reading your on Bull Sh**e BoatMad !

Mod note, banned for uncivilness (it's a word!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭josip

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hopefully things will now cool down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭josip

Just in case anyone had any lingering doubts about attaching a towbar to a Leaf.
    http://newatlas.com/nissan-self-driving-leaf-imv-oppama-tow/46778/

30kwh is going to be out of range price wise - they're simply too fresh yet. If you did stump up the money for an outright purchase of one, you are going to suffer a big chunk of depreciation almost immediately.

Yeah, a 30kWh battery is almost certainly out of range for me. I might be able to choke up a couple more G's, but exchange rate instability is as likely to be a factor now as anything else. We'll see.

A bigger battery is always better and it means more range from your home charge point, get the max range you can afford. Even if the battery is 40 Kwh you'll still get the same or roughly the same Kms per same time on the charger of the same power the difference being that 40 Kwh gives you about twice the range of 24 Kwh from your home charge point and not to be underestimated. The 6.6 Kw charger is definitely very convenient when you need it even if you don't need it every day.

Pre heat is standard on all leafs by setting a timer on the Navigation unit. Only the Mid spec "SV and top spec "SVE" have remote activation of heat and AC.

Thanks for the feedback. As I said above, a 30kWh is probably beyond reach for now. Waiting any longer is not really an option, my car has a valid NCT, a good set of tyres, and is running well, so now's the time to make the move. A bigger battery would be nice, but I reckon that it wouldn't make a huge difference considering our driving habits. I've been persuaded that a 6.6kW charger is the essential option.

We haven't completely ruled out buying on a PCP here, either. We can walk away after three years if we like (all going well), and if we can get a good deal—a very good deal—the payments might be under our threshold. We'll be talking to a few dealers locally this month. If they want to do a deal and sell us a car, great. If not, that's fine too. Either suits us.

There are definite upsides to buying new in Ireland. Free charger installation, the drive4zero scheme here in Cork, not to mention a squeaky-clean new car and battery. But, for us, it's a close call between buying over here or importing ourselves.

There are definite upsides to buying new in Ireland. Free charger installation, the drive4zero scheme here in Cork, not to mention a squeaky-clean new car and battery. But, for us, it's a close call between buying over here or importing ourselves.

The charger install is worth somewhere between €500-1000 depending on how you go about installing your own one.

The drive4zero campaign is not dependent on buying a new car.

An imported demo model leaf is as good as new as far as Im concerned and still has manufacturers warranty so little risk as you will be buying from a main dealer not a cowboy. Mine had 5000 miles on it and had 100% battery health at 1yr old and still does.

So, overall, is the free charge point that important?

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    So, overall, is the free charge point that important?
    Doesn't have to be if the OP puts some effort into sourcing an inexpensive one - and gets a local (reasonable) sparks to install. It's certainly not worth what they claim i.e. up to €1k!

kennypants wrote:
    Yeah, a 30kWh battery is almost certainly out of range for me. I might be able to choke up a couple more G's, but exchange rate instability is as likely to be a factor now as anything else. We'll see.
    If you have worked out that for the most part, 24kW would suit your purposes (95% of the time), get a used gen 1.5 - thats where the value is.
    As regards fx rate, I see that as a secondary issue. Been monitoring prices and it seems that prices have increased on used Leafs in the UK. I bought when the rate was gbp = €1.23 back in August. In between times, it seems to be harder to find a good deal on a similar Leaf. Doesnt mean you can't snag a good deal - might take a bit more work to do so - that's all.

You can buy now, make use of free charging (for however long it continues) - then body swerve the 30kW and when the time comes, upgrade to an EV with a far better range. The 24kW will still have residual value as it ages - i.e. will still be of use at smaller price point to a city dweller.

Advertisement