Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

Interesting car. Not a looker, but then again not many EVs are. I saw the FullyCharged review on Ioniq, and he was very positive over all.

I too would love an EV Estate but so far there's nothing like that being discussed anywhere.. would have thought it would make sense as an estate platform would have loads of room for a flat battery pack etc. Oh well, must be the weight and cost of battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Dont know if its been posted yet but

US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) released its official fuel economy rating for the new 2017 Hyundai Ioniq Electric, the Korean automaker’s first all-electric car, and it took the first spot as the most efficient car rated by the agency – dethroning the BMW i3.

HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Got mine ordered yesterday, will be collecting January 3rd. Can't wait.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Am thinking of buying one too just looking up the range this is what i found.

Model: Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium
    Price: £24,495 (including Govt. grant)
    Engine: Electric motor, lithium-ion batteries
    Transmission: Single-speed auto, front-wheel drive
    Power/torque: 119bhp/295Nm

0-62mpg: 10.2 seconds
    Top speed: 103mph
    Range: 174 miles
    CO2: 0g/km
    On sale: Now

174 Miles looks a lot better than the Leaf ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,547 ✭✭✭✭unkel

BrendanD wrote: »
    174 Miles looks a lot better than the Leaf ?.

Not a hope of anywhere near 174 miles

From your own link to the EPA page: it uses 25kWh per 100 miles. So that's about the range. 100 miles. Not bad 160km, but no where near that 280km...

• Advertisement

The Renault Zoe 40 Kwh 210-280 kms, the lower Km would be driving quiet hard.

Nothing beats Zoe for range and charging at this time, noting affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

unkel wrote: »
    Not a hope of anywhere near 174 miles

From your own link to the EPA page: it uses 25kWh per 100 miles. So that's about the range. 100 miles. Not bad 160km, but no where near that 280km...

I wouldn't be that pessimistic. Sure, 280km is taking the proverbial, but the Ioniq's EPA rating is 200km. Most Irish EV drivers tend to beat the EPA rated range in normal driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

The Renault Zoe 40 Kwh 210-280 kms, the lower Km would be driving quiet hard.

Nothing beats Zoe for range and charging at this time, noting affordable.

It looks awful though, both inside and out.

Seriously ? certainly doesn't look awful, it's unfortunately got a Renault badge on it.

However I'm not a fan of Renault interiors at all. It doesn't have that ultra bright dash any more either which helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

What does the cold pack on the leaf give you.

Does the iqonic have fast charging like the 6.6 kwh charger on the leaf as standard.

• Advertisement

Cold pack gives you heated seats front and rear, heated steering and heated mirrors, not sure if the heated mirrors are standard.

Ioniq has 7 Kw charger standard. But I do caution about getting one right now, Hyundai have said more range is on the way but at what cost is unknown so if the current range suits you then go for it if you like it.

Leaf is rather old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

The higher capacity battery for the Ioniq will not be available for at least 12-14 months. And it will be more expensive.

If the range suits you now (and unless you have a ~200km commute like me, it does) I'd go right ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

cros13 wrote: »
    The higher capacity battery for the Ioniq will not be available for at least 12-14 months. And it will be more expensive.

If the range suits you now (and unless you have a ~200km commute like me, it does) I'd go right ahead.
    Or wait till the bigger one comes out and the existing one will be cheaper???
    Wishful thinking maybe..hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

shedweller wrote: »
    Or wait till the bigger one comes out and the existing one will be cheaper???
    Wishful thinking maybe..hehe

Residuals of used will drop almost instantaneously, but it will take a while for the prices of new-yet-small battery to be reduced.

Doing further research on this model, read somewhere that Ioniq comes with 5 year unlimited mileage warranty and a 8 year 125000 miles warranty on battery (not sure about the exact details).

I was wondering what would really happen after say 5-8 years. Battery technology would have moved forward, and lets assume battery prices drops by 50%. How likely is it that a Ioniq (or a current LEAF) owner could replace the old battery with a newer, cheaper one with longer range without changing anything else in the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

positron wrote: »
    Doing further research on this model, read somewhere that Ioniq comes with 5 year unlimited mileage warranty and a 8 year 125000 miles warranty on battery (not sure about the exact details).

I was wondering what would really happen after say 5-8 years. Battery technology would have moved forward, and lets assume battery prices drops by 50%. How likely is it that a Ioniq (or a current LEAF) owner could replace the old battery with a newer, cheaper one with longer range without changing anything else in the car?

You will of course be able to buy a new battery from Hyundai. Whether they will provide a battery with increased range or not is anyones guess. Its not in their interest to give you a longer range battery. They will want you to buy a new car.

Nissan dont allow you to upgrade to the longer range battery today(24-->30). I believe BMW do, but open to correction on that.

So, how likely?... no one knows... 50/50 chance maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I would suspect if the makers won't facilitate the early adopters by allowing them battery upgrades, then spurious options will become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Water John wrote: »
    I would suspect if the makers won't facilitate the early adopters by allowing them battery upgrades, then spurious options will become available.

The question is always a cost.

Retrofitting battery with higher density might require not only reprogramming the electronics of the car, but also additional liquid cooling for the battery.

The cost of the whole operation, which will be labour intensive, might render it insensible. It simply might be cheaper to sell the current car and buy a newer one...

Reading on Toyota this morning. Talking of a more efficient battery which will need less cooling. Also, the battery you take out has a residual value for storing electricity. Swings and roundabouts.

It's highly unlikely you'd loose 50% capacity after 5-8 years.

It's entirely possible to fit a newer higher capacity battery if they want to, however if the electronics need to be changed then this would most likely make it too expensive though things like chargers and BMS which to make a long story short is what controls the battery and these are usually reprogrammable if they need to be.

Heat would most likely be a non issue, for instance , lets say you have a 60 AH battery and you double energy density and you now have 120 Ah.

If the 60 AH battery could take a 2C charge rate this would be 120 amps.

For a 120 Ah battery this 120 amps now becomes a 1C charge rate or 240 Amp charge becomes 2C and so on.

So, for the same chemistry, fast charging a battery with double the capacity should hardly warm it at all.

The same applies to discharge rates though batteries are usually rated for much higher discharge currents.

Other factors such as internal resistance come to play also which is how efficient a battery is at moving energy around the higher the resistance the more inefficient it will be.

I would imagine the need for cooling would be for hot climates or for batteries that may pack a lot of energy and are packed close together perhaps.

In Ireland we have more a need for warming batteries in winter because batteries can't store as much energy when cold , this is where you do need cooling because if you heat the battery to 20 Deg C and blast down the road and fast charge 3 times it will be pretty toasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Seriously ? certainly doesn't look awful, it's unfortunately got a Renault badge on it.

However I'm not a fan of Renault interiors at all. It doesn't have that ultra bright dash any more either which helps.

...but you have no problem driving a Renault with a Nissan badge ? Sorry, that makes no sense at all........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Cheers, I agree that it's not in Hyundai's interest to give upgrade options, and I can see similarities to tyring to upgrade hard disk and memory in a 4-5 year old laptop - probably doable but often a new laptop will make better sense.

PS: Turns out there's at least one third party company selling LEAF battery / upgrade pack.

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...but you have no problem driving a Renault with a Nissan badge ? Sorry, that makes no sense at all........

LOL Don't put words in my mouth.

I said the problem with the Renault is the badge, I didn't say it's a problem for me........

What I actually meant was the problem for Zoe itself is the Renault badge....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

grogi wrote: »
    The question is always a cost.

Retrofitting battery with higher density might require not only reprogramming the electronics of the car, but also additional liquid cooling for the battery.

The cost of the whole operation, which will be labour intensive, might render it insensible. It simply might be cheaper to sell the current car and buy a newer one...

The replacement with like for like is very straightforward , any handynan could do the exchange themselves. As leafs age there will be a considerable market in after market batteries as a replacement would rejuvenate the car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

positron wrote: »
    Cheers, I agree that it's not in Hyundai's interest to give upgrade options, and I can see similarities to tyring to upgrade hard disk and memory in a 4-5 year old laptop - probably doable but often a new laptop will make better sense.

You could be right but I'm *hoping* there will be sufficient used Leafs around to make it worthwhile for a third party to tackle battery upgrades. I get your laptop analogy - only difference is the capital costs involved. A car is a capital intensive item - many multiples of a laptop. Again, I could be completely wrong - but lets see.

At worst, there will be a residual market for an old Leaf that has lost capacity - for someone who just wants it to scoot around town (the price-point being cheap at that point). Otherwise, I'd be hopeful that the car could be rejuvenated with a modestly priced replacement battery from Nissan (i.e. not the current unreasonable replacement cost) when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,547 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A replacement battery costing €5k now might only cost €2.5k in 5 years time, but the 10 year old Leaf will only be worth around that.

Nobody in their right mind* is gonna spend €2.5k on a €2.5k car if that only makes it worth €3-€4k

More likely that a third party will be able to commercially "fix" batteries by replacing some dodgy battery modules - as people have already successfully and cheaply done - DIY! - on their Lexus hybrids. For a few hundred rather than a few thousand

*except Clementine Bald Metronome :p

But if a rebooted (new battery) Leaf went for another 7 years, isn't that the measure of its value to you, not the market sale price prior to rebooting.

Hoping batteries come at 3.5K. Lets say the residual value of the old battery covers the mechanical work and some more.

That is 3.5 divided by 7 = €500/year.

LOL,

well you could be right, however , electrics are not like ICE's, that 2.5K will make an excellent car, sure you'll get suspension problems etc and as long as the body is good there will be a market for cheap cars.

As batteries improve they will last years and most likely the life of the car.

Water John wrote: »
    But if a rebooted (new battery) Leaf went for another 7 years, isn't that the measure of its value to you, not the market sale price prior to rebooting.

Hoping batteries come at 3.5K. Lets say the residual value of the old battery covers the mechanical work and some more.

That is 3.5 divided by 7 = €500/year.

Lets hope Nissan remain committed to offering batteries for the Leaf and possibly all their future electrics if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭kave2

Hi everyone, test drove Ionic ev yesterday. Quite impressed tbh. Few things I miss are front parking sensors, half leather seats would be nice, heated steering wheel and blind spot monitoring. Just want to verify few things that dealer told me.

Range is around 250km in city. Purely motorway around 170-180km. Are these figures accurate?

Is the charging point outside of the house is installed for free by esb? And then public charging is free too? How long is that going to stay free?

How long does the car keeps the charge? For example if I leave it on airport for 2 weeks, will there still be charge left?

Thanks a lot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement