Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Cros, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Spoke with Hyundai dealer yesterday and they are still very much on a learning curve here but they will have the hybrid and full EV next week, both on his price list at €35k but not sure if the EV Figure is before or after grants etc.

Sadly he said it looks like late 2017 the PHEV model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Based on the announced UK pricing I'd say that was pre-grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Its still not on hyundai.ie.
    Is there an official launch date known?

KCross wrote: »
    Its still not on hyundai.ie.
    Is there an official launch date known?

Dealer launch was last week, he said they will have cars by end of next week

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    Dealer launch was last week, he said they will have cars by end of next week

If its already launched you'd think their website would have it listed! :eek:
    I see a link here: http://www.hyundai.ie/ioniq/
    Just nothing in their "new cars" section.

According to the UK spec it can do 0-100 in under 10secs as it has an 88kW motor(vs 80kW in Leaf) and it has the 6.6kW charger as standard so it is better than the Leaf in those points but depends on price I suppose.

28kw battery would be disappointing tbh

Yes , especially with the 40 Kwh Zoe now for order, It makes the Ioniq a very, very hard sell, unless you're in for the hybrid model, Hyundai did say they will have more battery options as production ramps up.

It's pathetic really they didn't at least have a 40 Kwh option. Anyway it will give the Leaf a good run for it's money, at least for now, but I do like it, if I were in the market for a new EV now I would give the Ioniq serious consideration, the Leaf looks dated now. Though actually if I were in the market for a new EV right now I'd probably give the Zoe first choice, though then again the Ioniq does have a decent bit more power than the Zoe.

From what I saw of the Ioniq online, the boot looks a lot better and more practical than either the Leaf or Zoe and this is important to me. Anyway seeing it int he flesh would be cool.

Lol more choice now today, that's good though.

hyundai-ioniq-4-1.jpg

Now that I've got the all digital display in the Leaf I do like it over the analogue, though wouldn't it be cool if they'd put a display instead that you can change to analogue or digital and better again, customise it ?

• Advertisement

If its already launched you'd think their website would have it listed! :eek:
    I see a link here: http://www.hyundai.ie/ioniq/
    Just nothing in their "new cars" section.

According to the UK spec it can do 0-100 in under 10secs as it has an 88kW motor(vs 80kW in Leaf) and it has the 6.6kW charger as standard so it is better than the Leaf in those points but depends on price I suppose.

Don't forget 80kW (advertised as 100kW) CCS rapid charging.

cros13 wrote: »
    Don't forget 80kW (advertised as 100kW) CCS rapid charging.

Are you sure?
    The UK brochure has "CCS Combo Rapid Charge Port (50kW)".

Also, what use is 80Kw charging in Ireland? Arent nearly all the chargers capped at 50kW and unlikely to change?

80 Kw charging wouldn't matter much in a 28 Kwh battery. It would ramp power down very quickly as the battery charges up.

I agree.
    Regardless, the car and the Irish chargers don't support it so I'm unsure where @cros13 is coming from. I think his info is bad.

Nope my info is accurate. The Ioniq is advertised with 100kW CCS support in many markets but they chose recently to list different specs in different markets. However there is no difference in the charging profile used between markets. Put a UK Ioniq (advertised as 50KW CCS) on a 100kW rapid in Norway and it will peak at 80kW same as the Norwegian Ioniq (advertised as 70KW CCS) or the german one (advertised as 100kW).

Quote from the stage at NYIAS when they hosted the US Ioniq launch:

“Charging the Ioniq Electric’s lithium-ion polymer battery up to 80 percent only takes about 20 minutes using a SAE Combo Level 3 DC, 100 kW fast-charger. An integrated In-Cable Control Box (ICCB) also allows drivers to charge their Ioniq at a standard household electric socket.”

Also Hyundai's news site repeats:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:0Jd9QwznbfAJ:https://www.hyundai.news/eu/models/all-new-ioniq-powertrains-the-power-of-choice-for-customers/+&cd=14&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

Hyundai Norway advertises 70kW rapid charging:

https://www.hyundai.no/modeller/hyundai-ioniq-electric/

I'm fully aware that there are no rapid chargers that provide more than 50kW installed on ESBs network. However the ability to charge at more than 50kW is a feature worth noting, especially when they introduce the 50kWh pack for the Ioniq (which will be in 18-24 months). There will be high power CCS rapids in Ireland, it's only a question of when (there are already 40 100-150kW CCS rapids installed throughout europe, with commercial quantity product announcements from efacec and ABB in the next few months).

I'm stunned the GM Bolt only charges at 45-50 Kw.

cros13 wrote: »
    Nope my info is accurate. The Ioniq is advertised with 100kW CCS support in many markets but they chose recently to list different specs in different markets. However there is no difference in the charging profile used between markets. Put a UK Ioniq (advertised as 50KW CCS) on a 100kW rapid in Norway and it will peak at 80kW same as the Norwegian Ioniq (advertised as 70KW CCS) or the german one (advertised as 100kW).

Thats a strange marketing strategy. Why would they under declare the capability of the car? What have they to gain from that?

Are they just declaring whatever the max is for the market based on the chargers currently available so as to no mislead users on charge time? Still strange though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Are they just declaring whatever the max is for the market based on the chargers currently available so as to no mislead users on charge time? Still strange though.
    I can only imagine that's the reason - in case they get accused of mis-selling...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I can only imagine that's the reason - in case they get accused of mis-selling...

yes I suspect thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,855 ✭✭✭Soarer

So are these yokes any good or what?

Open weekend this weekend, and might swing over for a look if they're flip hot.

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »

If you rarely need more than about 160-180 kms I'd say take it for a spin, certainly looks good and is a decent size, on the other hand the 40 Kwh Zoe will offer 220-280 kms range....... the Ioniq larger and faster, Zoe smaller with a lot more range......... you also can't beat that AC charger in the Zoe 22 Kw from normal AC street charge points ! such a difficult life ! :D

Soarer wrote: »

I'm waiting on the PHEV but sounds like it could be late next year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Now that I've got the all digital display in the Leaf I do like it over the analogue, though wouldn't it be cool if they'd put a display instead that you can change to analogue or digital and better again, customise it ?

The display in front of the steering wheel is a TFT screen, not an actual dial, so it may well be possible to change how it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,684 ✭✭✭✭unkel

it has the 6.6kW charger as standard so it is better than the Leaf in those points.

Leaf is only sold with the 6.6 kw charger these days and I could have brought one home for €20k incl metallic paint all in

I have to say the Ionic is a much better looking car than the Leaf. How could it not be? :p

How much does the cheapest model retail for (net of subsidy) - anybody know? It doesn't seem to be on their website.
    grogi wrote: »
    99% of people don't really care how their car drives, how it is maintained etc. They just want as cheap as possible A to B transportation...

Exactly. Up to recently they have been buying meh econoboxes like Kia C'eed diesels, and before that Toyota Corrolla petrols

Now for significantly lower total cost of ownership (ONLY because of the subsidies), they could own an EV but few people do. I find that strange. Must be ignorance?

unkel wrote: »
    Leaf is only sold with the 6.6 kw charger these days

What makes you say that?
    The 6.6kW is still listed as a €900 optional extra on their website.

Yeah, but when you go into Windsor Nissan (surely the biggest seller of Leafs in Ireland?), they have a new price list. Or more like a leaflet really. This was a few months ago when I test drove the car and fairly seriously tested the water in relation to pricing / discount

I was trying to keep the total all-in price to an absolute minimum and I specifically asked for the 3.3 kw charger. Only to be told it was not available any more and the price on the list was for one with the 6.6 kw charger (it did say 6.6 kw on the leaflet)

All-in price for cash (no trade in) was about €20k, with metallic paint and 6.6kw charger

Just looked up their website and the basic model is €22.5k, metallic €600 and 6.6 kw €900, so total of €24k, so discount was 17%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Yeah, but when you go into Windsor Nissan (surely the biggest seller of Leafs in Ireland?), they have a new price list. Or more like a leaflet really. This was a few months ago when I test drove the car and fairly seriously tested the water in relation to pricing / discount

I was trying to keep the total all-in price to an absolute minimum and I specifically asked for the 3.3 kw charger. Only to be told it was not available any more and the price on the list was for one with the 6.6 kw charger (it did say 6.6 kw on the leaflet)

All-in price for cash (no trade in) was about €20k, with metallic paint and 6.6kw charger
    News to me - Windsor Link

Thats from earlier in the year but to my knowledge, 6.6kW charging is not as yet standard.

Now for significantly lower total cost of ownership (ONLY because of the subsidies), they could own an EV but few people do. I find that strange. Must be ignorance?

There are a few issues, people really don't believe how cheap it is to drive on electricity.

It's too easy to hand 50+ cash for fuel over the counter and forget about it, if they got a monthly or yearly bill for fuel then people might re-think.

There's also a lack of choice in electrics and family sized electrics at that.

Also, the ultimate "no way" when people think of an EV they think of range.

I think once 300+ Km range electrics appear then we will see a change but the problem will still be a lack of choice, and cost, electrics need to drop in cost fast and not have the tax payer subsidising the auto industry and battery makers in particular.

There is also a certain ignorance in relation to electrics, I've heard crap like " I heard the battery lasts only 20,000 miles" "it only goes for 30 miles" "it can't go over 40 mph" "take 20 hrs to charge" and this always cracks me up " can it charge as it's driving ?"

• Advertisement

The range is still a real issue for me unless the fast charging nationwide network gets more reliable. I can't see the renting an ICE car for a weekend away to Donegal would be a solution anyone but a hardcore early adaptor would go for. I wouldn't mind the trip over there taking me 5 hours instead of 2.5 hours the once or twice a year I would make a trip like that (for leisure anyway, not for work). I would mind a fast charger not working, or a queue of cars ahead of me waiting to get charged.

Another one I've heard: it's dangerous because it's silent and no one can hear you. Heard that before?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement