Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

JohnnyB23 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    1) Would a Hyundai Ioniq have enough poke. I guess the only way to get a satisfactory answer to this is to get a test drive.

This will be my first EV and the drive sold it for me really - definitely take one for a test drive. I've been in Leaf's before and was always impressed by the instant torque but Sport mode in the Ioniq took me by surprise. I'm coming from a 140bhp 2.2 diesel which I would say has sufficient poke and was very satisfied with the Ioniq in that regard. Now it's not going to have the same kind of pull as the diesel for overtaking at 100kmh+ but I found it to be a nice stable cruiser on the motorway and nice and nippy around town. It did feel a bit sluggish in eco mode on an incline but I guess that's eco mode doing it's thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Someone on the Irish EV Owners FB group did Fota Island -> Dublin with a stop in Ballycolla last weekend.

They averaged ~110kmh for the first 100km and then slowed to ~105kmh arriving at the Ballycolla FCP with 28km in the tank. They charged up to 95% (183km indicated) in 35 mins at the FCP and arrived in Dublin with 67km left after averaging 120kmh from Ballycolla.

I'm planning on doing Cork -> Ikea in a couple of weeks when I get mine. I will try 115-120kmh with one stop in Urlingford which seems to be roughly half way. Efficiency could take a hit on the way back depending how much cargo we pick up :rolleyes:

Hmm, about 95 km from ballycolla, 30 kwh leaf would do it at 120kmph, but wouldn't have a lot left at that point . Thats very good going at 120kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

slave1 wrote: »
    @unkel, any sign of your baby?

Ha! Hopefully before the end of the month. It won't be my baby though, I've already got 4 women in my life and a Porsche. 5 babies is enough for me :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Seems we have a problem with the onboard charger, we mainly fast charge but have tried to do slow charges each weekend.

Will be giving the garage a call in the morning. I'll keep you posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

liamog wrote: »
    Seems we have a problem with the onboard charger, we mainly fast charge but have tried to do slow charges each weekend.

Will be giving the garage a call in the morning. I'll keep you posted.

What are the symptoms? Does it do nothing or does it start but only partially charge?

Have you tried a different cable and a different charge point because it could be the car, the cable or the EVSE?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

KCross wrote: »
    What are the symptoms? Does it do nothing or does it start but only partially charge?

Have you tried a different cable and a different charge point because it could be the car, the cable or the EVSE?

Plug in at a slow charger, and come back a while later and the charging has stopped percentage has ranged from 2% to 5%.

Tried 4 different chargers at this point. I don't have a second cable to test, either way the garage will be taking a look. I believe there was one other person on the Facebook group who had a similar issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Hello all.

Been trying to read entire thread before posting, but just can't keep up with it due to family and work (even writing this post took me 3 attempts) 🀓ðŸ˜႒ Started from page 51, went all the way to mid 60... Don't like to post questions which were already answered, but if I do please don't get angry 😊

Loved the car the moment I drove it! We were (mark the word) in the market for family/commute car and tried likes of Leaf, Octavia, Focus, C-Max, Seat Leon ST and Ioniq of course.

Got my deposit done today for Platinum Silver Ioniq which I hope to drive away before Easter.

Don't know why but I don't have or feel excitement as of yet, maybe due to wait time...
    Wanted Aurora Silver initially, but it (amongst rest of colours) available only by October. I cannot wait that long for a car.

I hope to finish reading rest of post in couple of days 🀓

Mope wrote: »

Been trying to read entire thread before posting, but just can't keep up with it due to family and work (even writing this post took me 3 attempts) 🀓ðŸ˜႒ Started from page 51, went all the way to mid 60... Don't like to post questions which were already answered, but if I do please don't get angry 😊

I feel you pain, I went to considerable effort to make a good honest review of the Ioniq after nearly 300 Kms Total test drive and went to the trouble of writing up the review and posting it when Boards.ie decided to merge it with this thread and destroy it. I was very very pissed they did this and it's not right, I created a new thread which would have made a lot of useful information a lot easier to find than burying it in 70 odd pages of another thread.
    Loved the car the moment I drove it! We were (mark the word) in the market for family/commute car and tried likes of Leaf, Octavia, Focus, C-Max, Seat Leon ST and Ioniq of course.

Got my deposit done today for Platinum Silver Ioniq which I hope to drive away before Easter.

Don't know why but I don't have or feel excitement as of yet, maybe due to wait time...
    Wanted Aurora Silver initially, but it (amongst rest of colours) available only by October. I cannot wait that long for a car.

I hope to finish reading rest of post in couple of days 🀓

You will love it, it's a great car, charges fast from the fast chargers and you should get a good 170 kms range in winter. Possibly more in winter.

You will never get bored driving an EV especially when you realise you can drive it pretty hard and it cost very little to run, way less than even the most efficient Diesel which will usually be smaller and a lot slower and still cost much more to run.

I still love driving the Leaf after just over 2 years and 62,000 kms.

You will love it, it's a great car, charges fast from the fast chargers and you should get a good 170 kms range in winter. Possibly more in winter.

Several owners in the Netherlands have been reporting to average 200km per charge in the last 2 months. And it's a lot colder over there than it is here in winter! Also Bjørn Nyland reported about / almost 200km in -5 to -10 temps in atrocious winter conditions in Norway with freezing rain and snow on the roads.

• Advertisement

Pretty decent review of the Ioniq, with emphasis on how it drives, and they drive it on a bit, which is refreshing :)

And I don't understand Slovak, but in the below they drive it for 950km and average 11.7kWh/km, so an implied average range of 240km

My consumption of 15.3 Kwh/100 Kms over what was it again, 207 Kms ? would suggest that 183 Kms would be more accurate so I'll correct that 170 Kms figure, however you'd probably want to be plugged in at that point.

I was driving 100-110 Kph, started about 10 deg C IIRC, wet roads, strong breeze for the first 60 odd Kms, then got to dry roads for the rest of the trip but still breezy.

I'd imagine winds would have a greater effect on range than cold, wind and wet roads. So perhaps colder weather isn't as bad in the Ioniq. The car was not pre heated.

I'm coming to this car after owning, if I'm not mistaken 4 or 5 Subaru cars... So I was very pleased with how Ioniq is responding to wheel input. Sport mode was a joy as well.

Re your post - could you point towards it? Would like to read it.

Re some stickies - are they coming out any time soon as i read so much info on charging, chargers, kW and etc that in order to understand them all clearly you need some sort of cheat book.

Could we not create a thread something like IONIQ guide + tips and tricks?

I'm totally alien with electrical stuff, so all abbreviations take time to sink in.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

How long does it normally take for grant approval from the SEAI?

Dealer said about a week but they seem to be a bit flakey - I'm not even sure they applied when they said they did.

I was driving 100-110 Kph, started about 10 deg C IIRC, wet roads, strong breeze

Strong headwind would make a massive difference!!!

At not much wind the Ioniq at 110km/h uses 14kW, so has a range of 220km (several people have reported this)

with just a 27km/h head wind (wind force 4), driving at 110km/h, it's the same as driving the car at 137km/h, and consumption is 26kW*, so range of less than 150km

*see the other clip from the same youtuber from Slovakia where he drives at 137km/h. The speedo apparently is very accurate

11.7 Kwh/100 Kms ? no a chance in hell, not in normal driving. That would be like me saying my leaf gets 13 kwh/100 kms, yes it sure does, but not in what I call normal driving.

How long does it normally take for grant approval from the SEAI?

Mine was very quick. Days rather than weeks. But my dealer was on the ball, and proactive. Pushing for a quick approval. Same for the approval for the free EV charging point. I had approval within a week or so, but then it took the subcontractor a good 4-5 weeks to install it.

11.7 Kwh/100 Kms ? no a chance in hell, not in normal driving.

Proof is in the clip. Also, you do remember they drove it for 354km on motorways around Seoul keeping up with the other traffic before the warning came on (so battery not dead yet)?

That's averaging an incredible 7.9kWh/100km

unkel wrote: »
    Mine was very quick. Days rather than weeks. But my dealer was on the ball, and proactive. Pushing for a quick approval. Same for the approval for the free EV charging point. I had approval within a week or so, but then it took the subcontractor a good 4-5 weeks to install it.

Were you ringing them to check in on how are they doing? Like "hi, could you let me know at what stage is my car and/or ESB charging point in the process"?

Or you happen to get on VERY professional lad who just took care of everything for you without you reminding him?

• Advertisement

Strong headwind would make a massive difference!!!

At not much wind the Ioniq at 110km/h uses 14kW, so has a range of 220km (several people have reported this)

with just a 27km/h head wind (wind force 4), driving at 110km/h, it's the same as driving the car at 137km/h, and consumption is 26kW*, so range of less than 150km

*see the other clip from the same youtuber from Slovakia where he drives at 137km/h. The speedo apparently is very accurate

I think my 15.3 Kwh/100 kwh was more in line with the EPA and I'd trust that more than some hypermilers.

I've nothing against the Ioniq but I don't want people reading this thinking they got a comfortable 200 Km range EV because that was not my experience however, as I keep pointing out, the real revelation is not the ioniq's efficiency but it's fast charging. So good distances are not hard to cover. 300 Kms should be do-a-ble with a 30 odd min charge.

Were you ringing them to check in on how are they doing? Like "hi, could you let me know at what stage is my car and/or ESB charging point in the process"?

Or you happen to get on VERY professional lad who just took care of everything for you without you reminding him?

Car - dealer will do all this themselves. Ring them every couple of days to make sure there are no delays. It's in their interest to get the grant, as you will be paying net-of-grant. Much better than in the olden days when you had to apply for an SEAI grant yourself and then you got the money back several months later...

Charge point - you need the grant number for your car (from the dealer) and the dealer code (basically their customer number with the SEAI). You can do the rest online yourself. Get on this ASAP as the free chargers are running out soon!!!

I've nothing against the Ioniq but I don't want people reading this thinking they got a comfortable 200 Km range EV because that was not my experience however

I've no intention to even get 150km range from my Ioniq :p

Your experience was not normal because of the strong winds though. That will make it almost impossible to compare with other people's experiences (and there are many, many to be found online, take my word for it and look at the links that I alone have posted in this thread alone)

Most people driving like they drive any normal car will easily average around 200km in their Ioniq over the year if they don't go over the posted speed limits, I have no doubt about that. Possibly a lot more than that. A yearly average is obviously just that. Have a bad trip in winter with heavy headwind and you might only get 150km. Drive like me and you might only get 100km :p Drive like they did in South Korea and you might get 350km...

Car - dealer will do all this themselves. Ring them every couple of days to make sure there are no delays. It's in their interest to get the grant, as you will be paying net-of-grant. Much better than in the olden days when you had to apply for an SEAI grant yourself and then you got the money back several months later...

Charge point - you need the grant number for your car (from the dealer) and the dealer code (basically their customer number with the SEAI). You can do the rest online yourself. Get on this ASAP as the free chargers are running out soon!!!

I am sorry - I can or I should do the 2nd bit instead waiting for Garage to do it?
    Did you get 32kW charging station or stick with 16? (pardon if I used incorrect numbers and abbreviations all together) :rolleyes:

You should do the second bit. It's online:

linky

See my big thread about home installation. Free installation is 16A. This is what I did, asking them to use 32A cable that I provided (cost €15 delivered). They install a 16A charger that can be flashed to 32A. Also they install a 16A RMBO. You can buy a 32A / 40A RMBO for about €25 delivered. So you need to flash the unit and then pay a registered electrician to replace the RMBO (2 minute job)

Or just stick with the free 16A installation. Or pay the installer $$$ to do a 32A install. For me an important aspect of owning an EV is about saving money, so I need to do everything within a tight budget :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

With all of my vehicles the dealer handled both the grant application and the chargepoint application.

The problem is it takes a while for dealers to figure out what they need to do when they first start selling EVs and often they initially oly start the paperwork when the car arrives.

For my i3 for example... as soon as the VIN was assigned at the factory the grant paperwork was in. which meant no delays for delivery 2-3 weeks later (not exactly true... had some issues taxing the car and it had to be done manually.... on the plus side my reg wasn't in PULSE for over a year... which saved me a lot of fixed penalty notices for speeding).

You should do the second bit. It's online:

linky

See my big thread about home installation. Free installation is 16A. This is what I did, asking them to use 32A cable that I provided (cost €15 delivered). They install a 16A charger that can be flashed to 32A. Also they install a 16A RMBO. You can buy a 32A / 40A RMBO for about €25 delivered. So you need to flash the unit and then pay a registered electrician to replace the RMBO (2 minute job)

Or just stick with the free 16A installation. Or pay the installer $$$ to do a 32A install. For me an important aspect of owning an EV is about saving money, so I need to do everything within a tight budget :)

I will most likely leave everything in capable (I hope) hands of dealer, do not want to interfere.

As for charger will go with standard 16A for now. If I am not mistaken reading above it is 25 + 15 Eur for equipment and something to the spark to actually install/change/replace 16A to 32A?

If the installer uses your cable (costs €15 to buy your own, incl. shipping)) then an electrician will just have to fit a part that will cost you €25 incl. shipping and is a 2 minute job

The unit will also have to be flashed. Which I'm not sure any electrician can / will do, but it can be done DIY and hopefully we'll get a guide up. You'll need a tool for this too which costs €5 incl. shipping, so €45 in total plus an electrician call out rate to turn your free 16A into a 32A charging point

Just saw a white Ioniq EV parked outside one of the schools in Adamstown here. Anyone on here? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

11.7 Kwh/100 Kms ? no a chance in hell, not in normal driving. That would be like me saying my leaf gets 13 kwh/100 kms, yes it sure does, but not in what I call normal driving.

Definitely a chance in hell. I've gotten 11.4kwh/100kms, and expect it to go lower as the weather improves.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement

Definitely a chance in hell. I've gotten 11.4kwh/100kms, and expect it to go lower as the weather improves.

That's 250km. In winter that is very good, you must have a fairly light foot :)

I too would expect many, many people world wide will average 240km or so in the Ioniq EV over a full year

The main exceptions will be in extreme cold (Nordic countries in winter), people that do max acceleration all the time, people who consistently / mostly drive faster than 110km/h or so and of course freaky weather with strong winds)

I haven't seen a lot of evidence yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if people who do mainly city area travel well under 100km/h in mild climates would average more like 280-300km

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement