Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

It's been suggested that the part2 launch of the model3 will include heads up displays on high end models. Apparently this person is saying the reason it wasn't revealed, as they didn't want people to stop buying the high end X and S.
    People might feel these car would be obsolete..

Edit - https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=1m15s&v=H00xFIhWfmM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

There is nothing to stop them putting that display on the S and X, in fact if its going to be on the Model 3 it will be in the S and X first

The reason for a part 1&2 reveal is for maximum publicity, Tesla don't advertise, they like to get into the news and media for free

• Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Scottie99 wrote: »
    It's been suggested that the part2 launch of the model3 will include heads up displays on high end models. Apparently this person is saying the reason it wasn't revealed, as they didn't want people to stop buying the high end X and S.
    People might feel these car would be obsolete..

Edit - https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=1m15s&v=H00xFIhWfmM

Jesus that's an awful system, those hand jestures look like it could be very confusing , surly a control stalk would be a better option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

This might have been posted already, but looks like a store will be coming soon.

https://www.teslamotors.com/careers/job/store-managerdublinireland-32119

I would be interested if they brought over a few secondhand Model S, particularly if they were available on PCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fastpud

Tesla just tweeted : 325K orders for model 3 in one week over $14B if all convert into sales

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

While the 14bn is not a definite, getting $325 million for just having a sweet marketing campaign is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Fastpud wrote: »
    Tesla just tweeted : 325K orders for model 3 in one week over $14B if all convert into sales

the first car company in history to deliver all its vehicles to its customers after the model has been retired ...........:D

I suspect a huge number with take deposit back , when they realise in a few years that they can apply for free travel passes instead :D

eeguy wrote: »
    While the 14bn is not a definite, getting $325 million for just having a sweet marketing campaign is amazing.

yes but the deposits cant be used for anything , except invested in a manner that they can be returned and given the cash flow burn , 300 million is chicken feed to tesla

Fastpud wrote: »

At what stage should they have stopped. If they maintain a 33% they still gets 110k orders and as they clear these it'll fill up again

BoatMad wrote: »
    yes but the deposits cant be used for anything , except invested in a manner that they can be returned and given the cash flow burn , 300 million is chicken feed to tesla

They can use it to leverage cheap finance. If you go to a bank and say you have 325 million in deposit for orders of 24bn you'll find they have no problem lending a billion or five

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    They can use it to leverage cheap finance. If you go to a bank and say you have 325 million in deposit for orders of 24bn you'll find they have no problem lending a billion or five

not if the banks think you are massively overtrading , they wont

anyway Tesla raises finance in the markets as a public company , not banks ( banks provide cash flow )

300 million is chicken feed in this regard

given Teslas difficulties in meeting delivery dates in the past, I think is was very unwise for Musk to allow the bookings to exceed 100,000, there will have to be a massive customer expectation management exercise and a scorned customer is worse then not having them in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Will launch be this year or will it be 2018? And I wonder when we'll get them here? Maybe late '18?
    So 35 K USD, + 23 % VAT and 14% VRT = 43,015 (EURO's)

That calculation is not quite there. VRT is based on the OMSP - usually about 92% of the RRP, specified by the importer. And also you forgot to add in the import duty. This is based on the value of the car + shipping costs and is 10% iirc.

I'll try the calculation again, any comments are welcome :)

So say value of the car is €33.5k (USD 35k - assuming there will be no charge for RHD conversion). Transporation costs say €500. Then import duty is €3.4k

So base price of car is €36.9k. Another assumption is you get no discount (it will be a desirable model) but Tesla won't be mean to add any other delivery costs

A bit of fiddling in excel will give you a RRP of €54k (before subsidies), so OMSP (92%) of €49.7k hence VRT (14%) of €7k and VAT (RRP includes 23%) of €10.1k

€5k subsidy and €5k discount on VRT mean a net price to the customer of €44k...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Apparently they're on schedule with the car. So I'm expecting the second launch in March with sale in California later in the year. As for Uk and Ireland, you're probably right, 2018.
    I'm hearing if you put a deposit down today, don't expect delivery until March 19'. Not sure how true that is but would sounds about right.

Sounds a bit overhyped though, doesn't it? Looks like very good value for €44k. But it's still €44k. You can buy a well specced BMW or Mercedes of the same size for that kinda money. Or almost a much bigger E-class or 5-series. Well established high quality, highly rated executive cars. When the long term quality, reliability, and lack of depreciation of Tesla is not yet known. It being made in the US doesn't inspire confidence. US cars have always had a terrible build quality (not saying Teslas are not well built)

I'm not gonna put a deposit down anytime soon, if anyone was wondering :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

unkel wrote: »
    . It being made in the US doesn't inspire confidence. US cars have always had a terrible build quality (not saying Teslas are not well built)

20-30 years ago maybe. Build quality is much improved now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Sounds a bit overhyped though, doesn't it? Looks like very good value for €44k. But it's still €44k. You can buy a well specced BMW or Mercedes of the same size for that kinda money. Or almost a much bigger E-class or 5-series. Well established high quality, highly rated executive cars. When the long term quality, reliability, and lack of depreciation of Tesla is not yet known. It being made in the US doesn't inspire confidence. US cars have always had a terrible build quality (not saying Teslas are not well built)

QC is a major issue for Tesla. They've continually struggled with it. It's something they're aware of (going by recent hires) and know they cannot build a volume product like the 3 without tightening up their act. It's one of the reasons I wouldn't go near the 3 initially. They've no competence in doing a mass recall, if needs be.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    20-30 years ago maybe. Build quality is much improved now.

Quality might have improved but I very much doubt it is on the same level as premium German brands like BMW and Mercedes. Hell, Mercedes nearly collapsed when they had US influence in the company during the Daimler-Chrysler years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Quality might have improved but I very much doubt it is on the same level as premium German brands like BMW and Mercedes. Hell, Mercedes nearly collapsed when they had US influence in the company during the Daimler-Chrysler years!

Maybe so. I wouldn't want to be the first in line to buy ANY car, but in fairness, BMW have been building cars for 100 years, Tesla for 10.

They've been playing a serious game of catchup in the last 2 years as they ramp up production.

eeguy wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to be the first in line to buy ANY car.

That wouldn't worry me so much!

New car comes with a warranty, so as long as the dealer is not too far away, any problems should be quickly resolved (any presuming I'd get the lend of a Model S any time my Model 3 would be in for fixing) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

You can buy a well specced BMW or Mercedes of the same size for that kinda money.
    Neither are a Tesla though (and neither are beacons of reliability either).

It's like why buy an iPhone when you can have a Samsung. A large part of the reason is because it's an iPhone.

• Advertisement

I have a hand me down Iphone 6S Plus from my brother, IOS is far superior to Andoid, I've had both. Android will do fine but IOS does it a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Not sure if I made my point correctly. Some people will want Apple stuff just because it's Apple. Tesla is the same. It's the Apple of the motor industry, something it's actively trying to be.

Ah right yeah I get ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

I have a hand me down Iphone 6S Plus from my brother, IOS is far superior to Andoid, I've had both. Android will do fine but IOS does it a lot better.
    Disagree entirely

Disagree entirely

Of course you would because I said it. Surprise surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Of course you would because I said it. Surprise surprise.

Paranoid much?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Paranoid much?

Yeah it must be paranoia, I mean what else can it be ?

Yeah it must be paranoia, I mean what else can it be ?

Pretty sure it's paranoia. Either that or you've been bottling up frustration during your ban and can't wait to start more fights now you're back.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's paranoia. Either that or you've been bottling up frustration during your ban and can't wait to start more fights now you're back.

Ban ? oh, you mean the couple of hours. hahah , no I have had to divert my time to other things, mainly family.

• Advertisement

Ban ? oh, you mean the couple of hours. hahah , no I have had to divert my time to other things, mainly family.

Couple of hours, also known as a month...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement