Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3

Comments

No you don't get me, I was banned, for some hours, been away longer due to family reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Lol

Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Getting back to Tesla, any news on an Irish showroom opening date, and the location of same?
    any supercharger installations planned for 2017 in ireland, and if so where are the locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I'll be suprised if the model 3 will be still competitive by the time the RHD versions are actually on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    Getting back to Tesla, any news on an Irish showroom opening date, and the location of same?
    any supercharger installations planned for 2017 in ireland, and if so where are the locations?

The showroom location is Sandyford, Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Mc-BigE wrote: »

Ballacolla (M8, J3) is to be one of the supercharger locations with 8 bays: http://www.eplanning.ie/LaoisCC/AppFileRefDetails/16589/0

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Pkiernan wrote: »
    20-30 years ago maybe. Build quality is much improved now.
    I had thought Tesla were on a par with European mid range cars but apparently that's not so. There are issue with panel gaps and build quality in general. It's not terrible, wouldn't turn me off getting a Tesla but we're certainly not talking about Volkswagen/BMW/Mercedes quality. It's probably slightly below most European brands on general manufacturing quality. Which isn't that surprising for a new company that's only really made two cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭54and56

Sabre Man wrote: »
    The showroom location is Sandyford, Dublin.

Is it the new showroom being built on the site of the old Atlas premises in Sandyford opposite the Beacon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I've subscribed to this some months ago, I find it informative..

https://youtu.be/AbcXwX5kwm8

• Registered Users Posts: 64,545 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's probably slightly below most European brands on general manufacturing quality.

Which means it is miles ahead of the main US brands. Which is quite an achievement for a company that is yet to build their first mass manufactured car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

They are improving quite rapidly.

For the first two years Model S had a good few issues with build quality, they pretty much had it figured out by last year.

Then the Model X came along with it's complex doors and panelwork. For a good while on the same line as the Model S. Everything went a little awry again.

If they'd been making one standard model of car they'd have got everything nailed down by now, but they are pushing ~20 modifications a week per model into the production line which complicates things further.

Peter Hochholdinger (VP Production, Ex-Audi) and Anders Bell (Head of Interiors, Ex-Volvo) both joined last year and are tasked with sorting it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

cros13 wrote: »
    They are improving quite rapidly.

For the first two years Model S had a good few issues with build quality, they pretty much had it figured out by last year.

Then the Model X came along with it's complex doors and panelwork. For a good while on the same line as the Model S. Everything went a little awry again.

If they'd been making one standard model of car they'd have got everything nailed down by now, but they are pushing ~20 modifications a week per model into the production line which complicates things further.

Peter Hochholdinger (VP Production, Ex-Audi) and Anders Bell (Head of Interiors, Ex-Volvo) both joined last year and are tasked with sorting it out.

They're still having issues with the S and those hand built Xs QC was woeful. This is one of the more flagged videos; with his build from September 2016... he's not alone though. Also, hiring from Audi doesn't fill me with confidence. The VAG group are serial offenders in regard to quality issues, with Audi being amongst the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The VAG group are serial offenders in regard to quality issues, with Audi being amongst the worst.

I'm glad someone else said that. A bit startled to see people equating German makes in general with quality!

I would expect a Tesla to in time to be one of the best built. No doubt they're already looking beyond Lexus (which is ahead of any German make).

I don't know about that , all the Audi's my brother had were amazingly well built, A5 , A4 , A6 and back to A4. From 2008-142. Not a single issue, rattle except from a woeful Sub speaker in the 142 A4 which looked like it cost about 50 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The doors might close with a reassuring clunk, but diesels in particular regularly suffer major failures. I don't equate quality with door clunks but rather how often I've to get something fixed.

I stand corrected, apologies. He had an issue with a 2004 Multitronic A4, the Multitronic was repaired. All the Audi's since were new with 0 issues.

Perhaps higher mileage would reveal issues, but so far he has had none with the newer Gen Audi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

Is it the new showroom being built on the site of the old Atlas premises in Sandyford opposite the Beacon?

No that is the new Spirit Volvo showrooms

In fairness, Tesla flew out an engineer and fixed the issue to MKBHD's satisfaction. Issue was a contaminant on one of the control boards for the power steering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

New a4 looks amazing. Would hands down have one over one of these dork mobiles.

Mod note - banned for not loving EVs

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In fairness, Tesla flew out an engineer and fixed the issue to MKBHD's satisfaction. Issue was a contaminant on one of the control boards for the power steering.

Yes Tesla handled it very well, but this issue had to hurt!

For those of you who don't watch youtube, MKBHD is probably the number one reviewer of tech gadgets (mostly smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc.) on youtube.

His videos are great, filmed at a very high quality and he comes across as a very nice and sincere guy who gives pretty balanced reviews. He was super pyshced about getting a Tesla and had done lots of great detailed videos about it when he got it. So it is some seriously bad publicity for Tesla, specially with the younger demographic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

New a4 looks amazing. Would hands down have one over one of these dork mobiles.

The new a4 looks like every other audi produced in the last 10 years... Audi have seriously fallen behind compared to the other German manufacturers.

They don't look too bad to me and I really like their interiors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

They don't look too bad to me and I really like their interiors.

Audi are a great looking car, but they've always played it very safe with their styling, resulting a line up that's more evolutionary than revolutionary.

Yes but they don't age as bad as other cars either with their oddball looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

bk wrote: »
    Yes Tesla handled it very well, but this issue had to hurt!

For those of you who don't watch youtube, MKBHD is probably the number one reviewer of tech gadgets (mostly smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc.) on youtube.

His videos are great, filmed at a very high quality and he comes across as a very nice and sincere guy who gives pretty balanced reviews. He was super pyshced about getting a Tesla and had done lots of great detailed videos about it when he got it. So it is some seriously bad publicity for Tesla, specially with the younger demographic.

Tesal have actually had a terrible service record with the Model S, its all been hidden and customers kept happy by extraordinary service response , i.e. flying engineers around etc. But the underlying record remains. A mass market car like the Model 3 will require far greater care inits engineering to be reliable, as that type of service response will not be possible.

I do believe Tesla have resolved many quality issues with their cars and they are much more reliable now.

BoatMad wrote: »
    Tesal have actually had a terrible service record with the Model S

It really has got a lot better. They've had a big focus on quietly simplifying the Model S design and making it more manufacturable. A lot of the early flaws have been corrected by several iterations of the original design or completely redesigned components. Most of the issues were motor, coolant system or door handle mechanism related, and in almost all cases these components were replaced pre-emptively in affected vehicles before an issue occurred.
    BoatMad wrote: »
    A mass market car like the Model 3 will require far greater care inits engineering to be reliable, as that type of service response will not be possible.

Very true. They need a massive build-out of service centers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Very true. They need a massive build-out of service centers.

Is there any info from Nissan or Tesla comparing their electric vs ICE when it comes to servicing?

eeguy wrote: »
    Is there any info from Nissan or Tesla comparing their electric vs ICE when it comes to servicing?

Not really. All Tesla servicing is entirely optional and not doing it does not impact their warranty. Nissan requires an annual inspection to keep up the 8 year powertrain warranty.

The reason Tesla have to build out service centers is mainly for repairs not regular servicing. Although they do have occasional coolant replacements every 80,000km and A/C system / brake fluid every two years.

You can check out the Leaf maintainence schedule here:
    https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/LEAF/2015/2015-LEAF-service-maintenance-guide.pdf

It's basically nothing but looking to see if anything's broken, rotating the tires and changing the pollen filter... and maybe a little brake fluid until coolant replacement at 15 Years / 200,000km.

My Leafs have never had an issue (bar a seat belt sensor that went on the fritz) and my i3 is having it's first service this month, two years and over 100,000km since I picked it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Latest info on Model3
    https://youtu.be/hBel7v4tEXI

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement