Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider-Man - PS4

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,704 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A good management would work within the constraints of a budget and time line.

The momentum thing doesn't fly with me anyway. Taking the slow motion example, when has slow motion ever killed the momentum in an action scene? It certainly doesn't in action games, look at the QTEs in Bayonetta and Vanquish. Also the slow motion this is only one example, I can come up with dozens more ways of handling these QTEs better. I just feel the current implementation is Spiderman 3 levels of lazy. Hopefully it gets improved in the final release.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,365 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Considering it's a vague 2018 release date they still have plenty of time to work on it, we're far from the finished product I'd say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,704 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah, I don't know how you can argue this went through a design process and this is the best they could come up with. I'd me more surprised if it wasn't changed by release especially after the backlash. I'd be more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt that it's just a placeholder.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't know how you can argue this went through a design process and this is the best they could come up with. I'd me more surprised if it wasn't changed by release especially after the backlash. I'd be more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt that it's just a placeholder.

I genuinely don't see what the problem is with it.

Basically it looks like something from a game from 2006. Resi 4 and God of War come out in 2005 and do QTEs and do them right. Lots of lesser developers shoe horn them into their game and completely miss the point of how and why they worked, with arbitrary button presses just to try and keep up with the current trend.

I'd expect something more from a big budget exclusive from a respected studio than something that looks like a game design faux pas from over a decade ago. I'm not the biggest fan of arkham style combat but it's a whore to code the animation AI and other AI systems for it and it seems at the very least competent in this game, so why neglect this area and leave in what I feel is a game design relic.

Anyway I expect it to be a lot different next time its shown. I'd be very, very surprised it survives the development process especially considering the fan feedback. From my experience it's going to get ripped apart in focus testing, but I doubt it will get that far.

• Advertisement

I think you're being unnecessarily harsh. I'd have no issue with playing that and don't think it would detract from the game to any tangible degree if it's used as sparingly as they're indicating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They've shown a lot more gameplay, turns out most of the apparent qte aren't they just such as that steel girder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

They've all been to the Q&A with developers etc and discuss Spiderman in depth, and listening to this will put many of your fears to rest. They were negative as most when it was first revealed, but all seems good now after they've seen more than the public reveal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Basically it looks like something from a game from 2006. Resi 4 and God of War come out in 2005 and do QTEs and do them right. Lots of lesser developers shoe horn them into their game and completely miss the point of how and why they worked, with arbitrary button presses just to try and keep up with the current trend.

I'd expect something more from a big budget exclusive from a respected studio than something that looks like a game design faux pas from over a decade ago. I'm not the biggest fan of arkham style combat but it's a whore to code the animation AI and other AI systems for it and it seems at the very least competent in this game, so why neglect this area and leave in what I feel is a game design relic.

Anyway I expect it to be a lot different next time its shown. I'd be very, very surprised it survives the development process especially considering the fan feedback. From my experience it's going to get ripped apart in focus testing, but I doubt it will get that far.

Retro I am beginning to think you dont even like video games ?. AS i have never seen you post positive about any kind of game lately its just all issues and nagtive points.

Look unlike you i dont care about AI systems, QTE or game design.

As long as it has a fun story, game play and i can switch off for 10 hours I am delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Retro I am beginning to think you dont even like video games ?. AS i have never seen you post positive about any kind of game lately its just all issues and nagtive points.

As long as it has a fun story, game play and i can switch off for 10 hours I am delighted.

Spiderman is too western for him. If it was called Websling Oversight: Guilty Action Again! he'd be all over it. :D

In all seriousness though, I don't think its an issue to point out problems in games....be they good or bad games. Surely he shouldn't be pilloried for that?

Last of Us is my favourite game probably ever but I'm analytical enough to notice it has quite a few issues. Leave Retro alone! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

But all those elements are part of how much fun or how terrible a game is going to be.

I'd like to say I expect more from games but I don't really. My problem is I can't enjoy modern games that are merely competent, that do everything right but don't stand out on their own with their own merits. Spiderman with the Arkham system borrowed wholesale and the QTE's is looking to merely coast along and be just good enough. I actually find these games more boring that games with big flaws but at least try something different. I wasn't hugely enamoured with Spiderman 2 but I could appreciate that it was doing it's own thing with the open world setting.

From the trailers I can see Spiderman will be good enough, but I'd rather it was something a bit better and hope I'm proved wrong. There's nothing wrong with discussing apparent problems with the game. It's a discussion forum after all. If someone has doesn't agree with you it isn't a slight against you or your platform of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

For me, Insomniac Games have a good enough track record to have earned the benefit of the doubt. This also doesn't appear to be a rush job, as evidenced by the fact that they are not trying to hit any tie-in deadlines so they should have enough time to polish the game up and deliver a good Spider-Man game; something that hasn't happened in a while.

I hope some sunset overdrive dna filters through.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,085 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 23,085 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Looks amazing. Fluid is the perfect word for it.

I think it'll rake in GOTY awards.

Give it to me...

mci0zjuqqwp01.jpg

Details on the standard, deluxe and collectors editions. The statue is perched on subverting that is spoilers apparently and will be revealed this summer, spoils what I wonder, hardly the game.

blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/04/04/marvels-spider-man-releases-on-7th-september-collectors-edition-revealed-and-more/amp/?__twitter_impression

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Give it to me...

mci0zjuqqwp01.jpg

Details on the standard, deluxe and collectors editions. The statue is perched on subverting that is spoilers apparently and will be revealed this summer, spoils what I wonder, hardly the game.

blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/04/04/marvels-spider-man-releases-on-7th-september-collectors-edition-revealed-and-more/amp/?__twitter_impression

Betcha its the green/hob goblins flying whingamajig :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Nice. Looking forward to this. People complain about Arkham combat but I don't mind it. I just hope they keep QTE's to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,635 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

J. Marston wrote: »
    I think it'll rake in GOTY awards.

It looks good but it won't win GOTY.

You have RDR2, Smash Bros and Detroit. Isn't The Last of Us meant to be out late this year?

nix wrote: »
    Betcha its the green/hob goblins flying whingamjig :p

Weird though, they said it's limited so order soon. I love Spider-man but no way I'm spending a penny on something that's a surprise. Will wait for the reveal and the price. Gamestop are selling a Spidey funko Pop from this game as well, would do me if the collector's edition is too much. Will be getting the deluxe edition at least. Spidey avatar :)

Some info:

As seen in the '114 Rapid-Fire Questions' these are the informations to consider:

- Photo Mode

- No "original" characters, comic book only

- No Microtransactions

- Peter has made all of his tech by himself

- 30 fps lock (both PS4/PS4 Pro versions)

- Many alternate suits, both 'Punk' and 'Noir' have been confirmed

- Post-release content (New Story Missions, Side Missions)

- Gadget Wheel

- Interactions with pedestrians (selfies, high-fives, salutes)

- Both, Peter Parker and Mary Jane are playable

- Fast Travel system

Punk Spidey :)

img

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Weird though, they said it's limited so order soon. I love Spider-man but no way I'm spending a penny on something that's a surprise. Will wait for the reveal and the price. Gamestop are selling a Spidey funko Pop from this game as well, would do me if the collector's edition is too much. Will be getting the deluxe edition at least. Spidey avatar :)

Some info:

As seen in the '114 Rapid-Fire Questions' these are the informations to consider:

- Photo Mode

- No "original" characters, comic book only

- No Microtransactions

- Peter has made all of his tech by himself

- 30 fps lock (both PS4/PS4 Pro versions)

- Many alternate suits, both 'Punk' and 'Noir' have been confirmed

- Post-release content (New Story Missions, Side Missions)

- Gadget Wheel

- Interactions with pedestrians (selfies, high-fives, salutes)

- Both, Peter Parker and Mary Jane are playable

- Fast Travel system

Punk Spidey :)

img

Aye i dont feel drawn to pick this CE up, a spidey statue would be cool if there already wasnt hundreds of them already. 5 extra talent points is BS though :)

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It looks good but it won't win GOTY.

You have RDR2, Smash Bros and Detroit. Isn't The Last of Us meant to be out late this year?

TLOU2 definitely won't be out this year, and Detroit I would say is unlikely to be a serious GOTY contender. It'll be interesting to play, but I doubt it'll be any kind of major breakthrough.

That said, I'd agree this likely wouldn't be GOTY material either. My money is on RDR2 for that. Though it could still pick up a lot of awards anyway.

Still though, that shouldn't take away from how brilliant this game looks, and how they're really going for it as opposed to just getting a Spider-Man game out for the sake of it like so many of the last ones have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Penn wrote: »
    TLOU2 definitely won't be out this year, and Detroit I would say is unlikely to be a serious GOTY contender. It'll be interesting to play, but I doubt it'll be any kind of major breakthrough.

That said, I'd agree this likely wouldn't be GOTY material either. My money is on RDR2 for that. Though it could still pick up a lot of awards anyway.

Still though, that shouldn't take away from how brilliant this game looks, and how they're really going for it as opposed to just getting a Spider-Man game out for the sake of it like so many of the last ones have been.

Isn't RDR now scheduled for a Spring 2019 release?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,635 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Penn wrote: »

I really feel it'll be the Batman Game in a Spidey suit regarding combat. I'll probably still pick it up at launch but not getting my hopes up.

Isn't RDR now scheduled for a Spring 2019 release?

October 26th

The Shocker looking class.

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Reiner/status/981557507234689024?s=19

My God, the web swinging gameplay looks majestic.

TyTNtG5.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Great to have a date for this. Sony is really doing well with these exclusives.

Advertisement