Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Ryder Cup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Russman

NDWC wrote: »
    Europe will have their work cut out

I fear its more a case of Europe will have their a$$es handed to them tbh. And quite badly too.

Hope I'm wrong obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Russman wrote: »
    I fear its more a case of Europe will have their a$$es handed to them tbh. And quite badly too.

Hope I'm wrong obviously.

Ya I do reckon the US will finally pick up a win in Europe. I agree it has the potential to get ugly if the US are firing.

The European wildcards will be important, I have a feeling Garcia will be picked which I think would be a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dball

i can him and lee westwood make a great pairing

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭paulos53

I assume that Padraig is on Vice-Captain duty today and is intentionally paired with Thomas Pieters to assess his game. Pieters is -4 through 8 so won't be doing his wildcard chances any harm

NDWC wrote: »
    I have a feeling Garcia will be picked which I think would be a mistake.

Agreed. You need good putters in matchplay, and he's just not at the races with the flat stick, its like a snake in his hands.

Problem is, there's no outstanding player that you'd look at who isn't qualified at the moment and you'd think you want/need in the team. Stenson possibly, but apart from that the cupboard is pretty bare.
    Does he take a chance on Pieters maybe ? If he goes that far down the list, it'll p1ss off a lot of players and Sky Sports.

Jeez, after looking at both lists, maybe I would pick Sergio, he's still better than most of those above him and not qualified (obvious contradiction notwithstanding :) !)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Don't think Sergio will be getting a pick. 8 missed cuts for his last 11 tournaments on the PGA Tour. Experience is all well and good but current form is more important.

Demonstrating this was the ridiculous decision to pick Westwood 2 years ago.... which resulted in a flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I think itl be a great ryder cup. Dont see USA running away at all, Europe have a great team and the rookies are in a different class altogether from what we had in 2016.

Breaking down the USA:
    Bubba Watson- hates travelling and especially hates France. Singles record abysmal.
    Webb Simpson-a disaster of a pick in 2014, will be under huge pressure to perform this time. Decent team record but wont intimidate anyone on Europes team. Very likely to shank one at some point.
    Fowler: ridiculous with the sublime. Capable of great golf but record not great in the RC. Got his ass handed to him by Rory in 2014 and Rose rather handed him a point in 2016.
    Tiger/Phil - have you seen the amount of water on the course? Both will be nervous over every drive and neither will be anything close to unbeatable. Thats assuming Phil gets picked in the 1st place. Will be a huge call by Furyk because I dont see him playing much even if he is picked, which may make him a liability for the USA.
    Jordan- good team record but get him away from Reed and hes vulnerable. Yet to win a singles and putting the worst its ever been.
    J.T / Brooks - ok, both of these guys should be respected. However Thomas has never played a RC before and Keopka has never played one away. Have a feeling both of them would like a crowd to feed off and they aint gonna get that.
    D.J- another man to be respected. Great tee to green and has played v well in the RC, home and away. One Id see as a genuine threat to Europes chances.
    Patrick Reed- The biggest threat but also the man with the biggest target on his back. Any euro will relish playing him and McIlroy will be frothin' at the mouth to have another crack at him after 2016. Id stake my life on a repeat of their singles match and I think Rory will take him this time.

Furyks picks, like Bjorns, seem to be pretty straightforward but after Tiger and Phil, I think the pedigree isnt comparable to what Europes picks will be. Stenson, Sergio v Kuchar and Bryson? Not even close!

Itl be tight overall, but Europe take this imo!

good insightful podcast here that discusses many of the players and I agree the uS team dont have great match play records - But so many of the European team are rookies.

Should be a great match either way:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06hl5xq

I think itl be a great ryder cup. Dont see USA running away at all, Europe have a great team and the rookies are in a different class altogether from what we had in 2016.

Breaking down the USA:
    Bubba Watson- hates travelling and especially hates France. Singles record abysmal.
    Webb Simpson-a disaster of a pick in 2014, will be under huge pressure to perform this time. Decent team record but wont intimidate anyone on Europes team. Very likely to shank one at some point.
    Fowler: ridiculous with the sublime. Capable of great golf but record not great in the RC. Got his ass handed to him by Rory in 2014 and Rose rather handed him a point in 2016.
    Tiger/Phil - have you seen the amount of water on the course? Both will be nervous over every drive and neither will be anything close to unbeatable. Thats assuming Phil gets picked in the 1st place. Will be a huge call by Furyk because I dont see him playing much even if he is picked, which may make him a liability for the USA.
    Jordan- good team record but get him away from Reed and hes vulnerable. Yet to win a singles and putting the worst its ever been.
    J.T / Brooks - ok, both of these guys should be respected. However Thomas has never played a RC before and Keopka has never played one away. Have a feeling both of them would like a crowd to feed off and they aint gonna get that.
    D.J- another man to be respected. Great tee to green and has played v well in the RC, home and away. One Id see as a genuine threat to Europes chances.
    Patrick Reed- The biggest threat but also the man with the biggest target on his back. Any euro will relish playing him and McIlroy will be frothin' at the mouth to have another crack at him after 2016. Id stake my life on a repeat of their singles match and I think Rory will take him this time.

Furyks picks, like Bjorns, seem to be pretty straightforward but after Tiger and Phil, I think the pedigree isnt comparable to what Europes picks will be. Stenson, Sergio v Kuchar and Bryson? Not even close!

Itl be tight overall, but Europe take this imo!

I really hope you're right, but I have my doubts.
    I cant see the likes of Hatton, Fleetwood & even Molinari being able to operate at the same level as DJ, JT, Koepka, Reed & Spieth tbh.
    Maybe the course will negate some of their advantage. We'll need to nick every possibly point/hole we can early on and try get them on the back foot.

Would love to see a repeat of Rory & Reed alright, but wouldn't like to call it, Rory is obviously the better player but Reed can be a thick f--ker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

I’m pretty sure that’s the American team sewn up.
    Picks for Woods, Mickelson, Dechambeau and Finau.

European team picks are going to be much harder. Thought Garcia might enter to play in Denmark as I can’t really see him getting a pick. If the 8 stays as it is at the moment, the picks will be poulter, Casey, stenson and Cabrera bello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭paulos53

Looks like there are only 3 contenders for the final European spot playing in Denmark this week.

I have read elsewhere that these are the requirements to knock Olesen out of the team.

Matthew Fitzpatrick needs to win and for Olesen to be outside the top 7.
    Eddie Pepperell needs to win and for Olesen to be outside of the top 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Paul Casey, Ian Poulter, Henrik Stenson, RCB and Russell Knox all vying for a captains pick and in action in the stats.

Either Sergio has been assured of a pick or he's just not bothered. (More likely the latter)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I would pick Casey, Poulter and Stenson for the experience. The team badly needs it.

I would then probably pick Pieters and hope he and McIlroy can rekindle what they had going on two years ago.

I would pick Casey, Poulter and Stenson for the experience. The team badly needs it.

I would then probably pick Pieters and hope he and McIlroy can rekindle what they had going on two years ago.

McIlroy has said he wants to play with Francesco. So that gives Bjorn the greenlight to pick someone showing some form instead of Pieters

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Rikand wrote: »
    McIlroy has said he wants to play with Francesco. So that gives Bjorn the greenlight to pick someone showing some form instead of Pieters

Given Pieters' record 2 years ago and his good showing at the PGA, I might still pick him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Could be a great combo for a foursomes, someone hitting tee shots like McIlroy & following that with irons like Molinari's. Both a bit streaky with the putter though, so might be a slight risk there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I would have very serious concerns about the European team this year. The rookies are a big problem, not because they are rookies, but they are rookies that are really not in form.
    Fleetwood - one Top 5 since his win in January, granted he showed up at the US Open, but he shot 63 in the final round and when the pressure was really on, on 18, he missed the putt. Good showing in the British too.
    Hatton - much like Fleetwood, hasn't really threatened at any tournament since 3rd in the WGC in March
    Rahm - Again great early season form but hasn't produced this summer bar a Top 5 in the PGA
    Noren - a great win on the Ryder Cup course in July but again great early form that hasnt come across in the Majors with 2 missed cuts.
    Olesen - Definitely the rookie in form.

Even if they sprinkle in Poulter, Stenson, Casey - These players are all struggling with their game at the moment.

I think the biggest problem though is that the US look like more of a team. I think the president cup last year (with Tiger as VC) really showed how much of a team they are. Stricker and Furyk will be a tough combination. They also have a much stronger core group of players, playing well.

Ominous

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The odds are stacked against us for sure, I’d pick Kuchar over Finau. The US not only have their strongest team in decades but playing an out of form E team also....time will tell

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

lol, would the sound tactic be to put our weakest pairing or rookies up against them and accept that it's a battle that likely can't be won?

• Advertisement

RoadRunner wrote: »
    lol, would the sound tactic be to put our weakest pairing or rookies up against them and accept that it's a battle that likely can't be won?

The pairings are blind, neither team know who they will be up against

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

In fairness to DJ. He's not wrong is he. I would also feel bad for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

slave1 wrote: »
    The pairings are blind, neither team know who they will be up against

I think over the last number of years it has been obvious that each side puts their strongest pairing out first all the time

Seve OB wrote: »
    I think over the last number of years it has been obvious that each side puts their strongest pairing out first all the time

Now now, exam spotting leads to failure:pac:

Generally speaking, if you're losing going into the singles you load up the front to get points on the board and instill confidence but in all honesty the pairings are just 4 teams at a time so there's no real difference between say, first and third out.
    In any case if a morning pairing are going all the way to 18 it could be late to name the afternoon pairing and captains may just push them away from first tee off if another pairing have completed their match.

Or you could just throw darts at a board!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Seve OB wrote: »

I'm confused, wan't it first that you and I played together last year in our ryder jug match? :confused:

Russell Knox putting himself right in the frame for a pick this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Russell Knox putting himself right in the frame for a pick this weekend

Absolutely if he keeps it up over next 3 days. Good to see majority of the European lads having solid opening rounds but John Rahm is seriously out of form.

Think poulter and stenson are cert picks and then it’s between about 6 of them for the other 2. RCB would be my third anyway.

Has Mickelson earned an automatic pick with a strong finish today?

ignore that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,575 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

My picks for Europe are, Stenson, Rafa, Casey and Poulter.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

kiers47 wrote: »
    In fairness to DJ. He's not wrong is he. I would also feel bad for them.

october-1-2016-chaska-mn-usa-electronic-scoreboard-on-the-17th-hole-picture-id612174112?k=6&m=612174112&s=612x612&w=0&h=0qby_p4NkqeRFxO9mtvu2fd3KiIv55kb9FC9Jqenl8I=

Advertisement