Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Ryder Cup

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Russman wrote: »
    october-1-2016-chaska-mn-usa-electronic-scoreboard-on-the-17th-hole-picture-id612174112?k=6&m=612174112&s=612x612&w=0&h=0qby_p4NkqeRFxO9mtvu2fd3KiIv55kb9FC9Jqenl8I=

Id imagine theyd fancy their chances in that rematch considering what has happened since then. McIlroy was also a better player than both DJ and Koepka then. He certainly is a good bit off them now. And Pieters is miles off that.

A lot can happen in 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    My picks for Europe are, Stenson, Rafa, Casey and Poulter.

I'd say that's pretty likely, or maybe with Wallace instead of Rafa. Or maybe both of them (Wallace and Rafa) and only one of Casey or Poulter.

I dunno, I can't really see where Europe can get many points. I fear it could be a bigger hiding than they took last time. 18:10 anyone :eek:
    Hopefully the course will negate some of the US advantage.

Even looking at wildcards, you'd have thought the logic would be to strengthen the team and maybe pick players in good from who made their run too late to qualify automatically. Apart from Rafa, you can't really make that argument for any of the potentials being mentioned.
    Stenson - brilliant player, but injury and playing poorish all year, I'd still pick him though !
    Casey - backed into a win in Tampa early in the year and done nothing much since (is he yesterday's news ?).
    Poulter - meh, Poulter is Poulter and will bring something, but most of the US team are just better players than him, eventually that'll catch up on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Europe

Poulter - Has had a good August for the most part, so somewhat in form
    RCB - in form. Had a good Ryder last time out
    Wallace - Bang in form. Was told to play the last 2 events if he wanted a shot. Won the event that he needed to win. Thats clutch!
    Casey - I dont want him. but I think he was more or less told he'd get on the team if he played enough events in Europe to qualify

US

DeChambeau
    Woods
    Mickelson
    Finau

All in form - All deserve to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

If I was the US captain, I'd be having a quiet word in Dusty's shell-like about tweeting that kind of stuff and getting way too far ahead of himself. He may be the top dog on the PGA tour right now, but his RC record (6W 5L) isn't all that formidable for a golfer of his stature, so he's better keeping the noise down and going in knowing he still has a point to prove. We all know too that the beauty of Ryder Cup golf is that it very often refuses the pattern laid down on the regular tours. Has a habit of smacking your arrogance right back into your face.

I think Bjorn will be a good captain, nicely low key and humble, which I think will suit the mood and atmosphere they'll hope to create. He has a tough job but that kind of talk from Dustin and Koepka will make it a whole lot easier I reckon. The more of that cockiness the better, in terms of atmosphere and in terms of a contest too.

Rikand wrote: »
    Casey - I dont want him. but I think he was more or less told he'd get on the team if he played enough events in Europe to qualify

I suspect that's the case alright, and also the issue. Hard to see Bjorn not picking him after specifically asking him to re-join the European Tour.

The other outlier (or not) is Sergio - has he been told something (one way or the other), given his lack of events in the last few weeks ? I can't believe that, with his passion for the event, he wouldn't at least try to impress the captain in some Euro events once he was out of the FedEx.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I suspect that's the case alright, and also the issue. Hard to see Bjorn not picking him after specifically asking him to re-join the European Tour.

The other outlier (or not) is Sergio - has he been told something (one way or the other), given his lack of events in the last few weeks ? I can't believe that, with his passion for the event, he wouldn't at least try to impress the captain in some Euro events once he was out of the FedEx.

8 missed cuts for his last 11 tournaments on the PGA Tour... I'd say he has been told to play better for 2020.

3 of the US captains picks in just over an hour....... the excitement!

https://www.rydercup.com/news-media/usa/jim-furyk-make-three-ryder-cup-captains-picks-5-pm-et-tuesday

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Thomas Koepka and Johnson of course are going to be their go to guys but the rest of the team is nothing to fear. Ryder Cup is a different beast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Rikand wrote: »
    3 of the US captains picks in just over an hour....... the excitement!

https://www.rydercup.com/news-media/usa/jim-furyk-make-three-ryder-cup-captains-picks-5-pm-et-tuesday

You called it, Tiger, Phil and Bryson, shocked if otherwise

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

HighLine wrote: »
    8 missed cuts for his last 11 tournaments on the PGA Tour... I'd say he has been told to play better for 2020.

If the betting is any guide Sergio’s chances of getting the 4th pick look pretty decent. Trading at 1/3 on the exchanges so somebody out there seems confident anyway.

• Advertisement

If the betting is any guide Sergio’s chances of getting the 4th pick look pretty decent. Trading at 1/3 on the exchanges so somebody out there seems confident anyway.

Well considering Westwood got picked 2 years ago when he was showing equally poor form, I wouldn't be surprised if another stupid pick is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

No surprise there anyway. Had to pick Woods and Mickelson. Otherwise the story would be different and media would go mad

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Of the 8 qualified European players only 3 have played Ryder cup before . On that basis Bjorn will go for experience . Can't see Matt Wallace being picked. Poulter, Stenson, Sergio and either Casey or Rafa

• Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

So does he pick somebody else as vice captain now for Woods?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Mushy wrote:

He picked 3 vice captains :)
    Kuchar. Zach and Duval

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Messi19

Mushy wrote: »

Kuchar probably

All the questions aimed at Woods now - Poor Bryson and Phil just gotta sit there and stare :)

Well considering Westwood got picked 2 years ago when he was showing equally poor form, I wouldn't be surprised if another stupid pick is made.

It’s easy with hindsight to be highly critical but at the time I don’t think the Westwood pick was all that ridiculous, far from it. I wouldn’t agree it was stupid anyway, Westwood had a top 3 in the masters, a couple of other decent results and a RC pedigree. I think it’s more than Sergio has this time and Cabrera Bello would have more reason to feel aggrieved than Knox the last time. Will generate a lot more debate at least I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It’s easy with hindsight to be highly critical but at the time I don’t think the Westwood pick was all that ridiculous, far from it. I wouldn’t agree it was stupid anyway, Westwood had a top 3 in the masters, a couple of other decent results and a RC pedigree. I think it’s more than Sergio has this time and Cabrera Bello would have more reason to feel aggrieved than Knox the last time. Will generate a lot more debate at least I think.

Completely disagree and that's not in hindsight. I'm not going to go back and look for my quotes but even before Westwood was picked 2 years ago, I said on here it would be stupid to pick him. More importantly, so did many golf pundits. Nepotism certainly didn't pay off for them in 2016.

• Advertisement

Completely disagree and that's not in hindsight. I'm not going to go back and look for my quotes but even before Westwood was picked 2 years ago, I said on here it would be stupid to pick him. More importantly, so did many golf pundits. Nepotism certainly didn't pay off for them in 2016.

Fair enough, it’s ok to disagree and I take your word regarding your powers of perception before the event. But I believe it is a fact that there was no media outcry when Westwood was announced as a pick, no foretelling of the disaster that was to befall him. Sure, some pundits might not have agreed with it but the consensus was that there were pluses and minuses to all the contenders and, in a team laden with rookies, WW had his merits. Ancient history now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

Of the 8 qualified European players only 3 have played Ryder cup before . On that basis Bjorn will go for experience . Can't see Matt Wallace being picked. Poulter, Stenson, Sergio and either Casey or Rafa

In fairness Wallace produced under pressure. I think either Sergio or Stenson will be left out.

From memory I think Westwood’s pick last time was viewed as a bit unusual / Clarke picking his buddie, without necessarily being outrageous. He was still a good player but he clearly wasn’t in form, yet if he’d held that birdie putt on Saturday, who knows ? Europe might have had a fighting chance on Sunday instead of it being effectively over. In an away match, Europe were just carrying too many players not at that very highest level imho.

I think the experience thing is a little overstated nowadays. I mean these guys will have mostly just played an event for $10m first prize, I don’t think Ryder Cup will be as daunting as it may have been a decade ago tbh. Justin Thomas is a rookie but I’d hardly think he needs a minder on day 1.

Also, I honestly don’t think any player has any right to feel aggrieved if he doesn’t get a pick. If you couldn’t make automatic qualifying you’ve left it purely to the whims of a captain who will have his own ideas. In fairness to Bjorn, nobody has really put their hand up and become a nailed on pick, whether that makes it easier or harder for him, who knows ?!

plumber77 wrote: »
    In fairness Wallace produced under pressure.

Did he really though ? Yes he played brilliantly to win the event, but he was never within an a$$es roar of qualifying. Just because he won the final qualifying event wouldn’t necessarily put him in the conversation for me. 3 wins in a season is a better guide imo and you certainly couldn’t argue if he’s picked based on that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

Did he really though ? Yes he played brilliantly to win the event, but he was never within an a$$es roar of qualifying. Just because he won the final qualifying event wouldn’t necessarily put him in the conversation for me. 3 wins in a season is a better guide imo and you certainly couldn’t argue if he’s picked based on that alone.

I suppose time will tell. Not saying he'd be an outstanding Ryder cup player but kudos to him for winning when it was last chance saloon. He showed a lot of nerve under pressure so surely that's a plus. It is a pretty essential component of the Ryder cup format.

It will be interesting to see how Wallace gets on playing against the elite golfers. PGA Tour results and experience (below) don't look great but then again neither did Pieters' back in 2016.

460398.jpg

plumber77 wrote: »
    I suppose time will tell. Not saying he'd be an outstanding Ryder cup player but kudos to him for winning when it was last chance saloon. He showed a lot of nerve under pressure so surely that's a plus. It is a pretty essential component of the Ryder cup format.

Absolutely, and I’d have no real qualms about him on the team, he seems to hit it far enough to compete (although length isn’t as crucial in Paris) and is a decent putter.

Poulter, Casey, Stenson & Wallace seems to be the most popular combination with the “pundits”.
    Bjorn might have backed himself into a corner by asking Casey to rejoin the tour, that’s one pick down. Sky Sports would have a collective cardiac arrest if Poulter doesn’t get one, so that’s another one. Now it’s two from the likes of Stenson, Sergio, Rafa, Wallace, Pieters, Fitzpatrick, Knox, Pepperell etc.
    Maybe he’ll be very bold and go Rafa & Pieters, I think that’s what I’d go with tbh.

Or be really, really bold and tell Hatton he’s injured, a la Seve with Miguel Martin :D:D

It will be interesting to see how Wallace gets on playing against the elite golfers. PGA Tour results and experience (below) don't look great but then again neither did Pieters' back in 2016.

460398.jpg

Is he this year’s Andy Sullivan possibly ?

Is he this year’s Andy Sullivan possibly ?

Possibly yeah.

Think he's missed 5 of the last 9 cuts including on the ryder cup course back in July. Think it would be a huge call to pick him over someone like RCB.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Stenson, Poulter, Casey and Sergio. Apparantly the team has been leaked?? I'd doubt that's true.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement