Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bose Quiet Comfort 35 headphones

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Good damn it that is an awesome deal!

I want these so badly, but most resist! I've already spent too much on Home Automation tech and I've already got the excellent Bose QC20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

If BOSE are too pricey, Creative are doing a great deal on these a the moment. I picked up a pair but I'm not allowed open them until xmas day.

http://en.europe.creative.com/p/headphones-headsets/creative-aurvana-platinum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

This is exactly why I had plastic surgery during the year and cut up my credit card.

I now live on what I have, and because I've bought for everyone else, I ain't got a penny to spend on myself.

So as much as I'd love these, I can't.

Look at me, I'm growing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I got the Plantronics back beat pro 2 in the states before they were released over here. They were 199 dollars.

In the office we have representation of qc35 and sennheiser pcx 550 and the pro 2 would be very close to those at approx half the price.

I am delighted with mine. There is also an se version which has a hard case but IMO its not worth it.

On amazon for 229 pounds. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01MFGYF3I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481839359&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=plantronics+backbeat+pro+2&dpPl=1&dpID=51OcVibYXmL&ref=plSrch

But I suggest if you are a regular flier and have a chance to pick them in the states then do so.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

PaulKK wrote: »
    In the office we have representation of qc35 and sennheiser pcx 550 and the pro 2 would be very close to those at approx half the price.

An office wouldn't really be a good place to test headphones like this. It is on airplanes, trains and buses where headphones like this shine.

Headphones like these with active noise cancelation are designed to get rid of the constant loud noise of an engine. They would all work roughly the same in an office environment, with people talking etc. When it comes to talking, ANC doesn't actually work, it is just the isolation nature of the headphones that are reducing the noise of people around you talking.

The one exception in an office is if it has loud Air conditioning or the loud noise of computers operating, then ANC can help.

From the wire cutter review of sound cancelling headphones:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-noise-cancelling-headphones/
    Some readers asked us about the Plantronics BackBeat PRO. Brent Butterworth measured that model for us and found the noise cancellation to be fairly mediocre. From 170 Hz to 300 Hz, it drops only about 8 dB of noise (the QC25 drops about 30 dB in that range, while the Level Over was around 20 dB). If you find the Level Over at about the same price, it’s a much better option if you want both noise cancellation and Bluetooth. The sound quality of the BackBeat PRO is acceptable but not outstanding enough to counter its below-average noise-cancelling performance.

When it comes to noise cancellation on planes, where these are types of headphones are most useful, then nothing else comes even close to the various Bose QC headphones (I've the QC20 in-ear ones).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Is it mainly the noise cancellation that you're paying for here or is the sound on a different level to €150 headphones?

Is it mainly the noise cancellation that you're paying for here or is the sound on a different level to €150 headphones?

It is mostly the noise cancellation.

They have hands down the best active noise cancellation on the market, best suited for airplanes, trains, etc.

They also have the best sound (or close to it) for headphones with ANC, but they certainly wouldn't be anywhere as good as standard, open back headphones in the same price category. Probably even open backed headphones that cost half the price would have better sound quality if that is your only concern. But then open back headphones are pretty useless as reducing external noise and wouldn't be of much use on an airplane etc.

If you fly a lot, in particular on 9+ hour flights, then headphones like these are amazing and worth every cent, IME they make flying so much more comfortable and easy.
    Headphones is definitely one of those areas where there is no one perfect headphone, instead you need different headphones for different uses. An open back for home listening, a closed back for office use, ANC for travel and maybe a day to day street wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I've tried an awful lot of headphones over the years as I was a club Dj for a number of years. I've tried everything from cheap Philips headphones to overpriced Beats to the industry standard high end Pioneers. The sound from these is pretty decent in comparison to some of the high end Pioneer and Sennhiesers I used during that time. There is surely headphones on the market costing multiples of the Bose price with better sound but for the money and the noise cancellation these are in my opinion some of the finest around. BTW, I'd have gotten the QC 25s if I hadn't upgrade my phone to the iPhone 7, same headphones but no Bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I've tried an awful lot of headphones over the years as I was a club Dj for a number of years. I've tried everything from cheap Philips headphones to overpriced Beats to the industry standard high end Pioneers. The sound from these is pretty decent in comparison to some of the high end Pioneer and Sennhiesers I used during that time. There is surely headphones on the market costing multiples of the Bose price with better sound but for the money and the noise cancellation these are in my opinion some of the finest around. BTW, I'd have gotten the QC 25s if I hadn't upgrade my phone to the iPhone 7, same headphones but no Bluetooth.

Not necessarily the same, qc25's require a supply of AAA batteries (1 battery for 25hrs~). The qc35's charge over micro USB. Whilst micro USB sucks you can charge them on the plane if they die. You can charge qc25's unless you can ask someone nicely for a AAA battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Slaanesh wrote: »
    Harvery Norman: €299

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/headphones/noise-cancelling-headphones/bose-quietcomfort-35-wireless-headphones-silver.html?r=2

Would love to pick up a pair of these, don't think the wife would let me!

That coming up @379

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That coming up @379

Was 299 last night when I looked. Amazon.it still have them at €279.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

€281.29 delivered for QC35 Black or Silver from Amazon Italia.

Delivery estimate 27th - 29th Dec.

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01E3SNO1G/

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Has anyone tested these with loud music playing around them - how well do they perform? Basically I am looking at possibly buying a pair for the gym as often the music is pumped up around the gym and I can't hear my own properly at all through my sennheiser earbuds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Not necessarily the same, qc25's require a supply of AAA batteries (1 battery for 25hrs~). The qc35's charge over micro USB. Whilst micro USB sucks you can charge them on the plane if they die. You can charge qc25's unless you can ask someone nicely for a AAA battery.

Or pack 1-2 extra batteries in their case :)

That's what I do with these :Dwww.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/1c7efaa15727a938/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Prezatch wrote: »
    Has anyone tested these with loud music playing around them - how well do they perform? Basically I am looking at possibly buying a pair for the gym as often the music is pumped up around the gym and I can't hear my own properly at all through my sennheiser earbuds

how these work is there's microphones on the outside that record the outside noise, and play the inverse sound wave along with your music which effectively cancels the outside noise. they don't work 100% but I'd say they'd work to 80-90%. If you want full isolation, a pair of custom folded in-ear monitors is what you'd want.
    YanisK wrote: »
    Or pack 1-2 extra batteries in their case :)

That's what I do with these :Dwww.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/1c7efaa15727a938/

yup that's what I did on two recent trips to Australia and Brazil, I took 3 to Australia and 2 to Brazil. I ran out on the Brazil trip even though there was less time in the air. My point being is, it's a lot easier to find a micro USB cable 30000ft in the air than there is a AAA battery, you'd be surprised at how many flight attendants have Android phones and are willing to give you a lend of a cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Why didn't I buy these for £212 a couple of weeks ago from the amazon warehouse!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Setanter

That's my present to me from me sorted!!

Ever wonder what the Amazon guy in Italy thinks about the spike from Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

If BOSE are too pricey, Creative are doing a great deal on these a the moment. I picked up a pair but I'm not allowed open them until xmas day.

http://en.europe.creative.com/p/headphones-headsets/creative-aurvana-platinum

Just ordered a set of these as my Christmas Pressie, due to arrive between 23rd - 26th Dec, hopefully 23rd!!

Have you a set? Whats the quality like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

They're "grand" in terms of sound quality, but it's the best in class noise cancellation which sells them. They're excellent in this regard. Waiting for reviews of the new B&O H9. If they combine the Sound quality of the new h6s with decent noise cancelling then they should be superb. Wait for a price reduction though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Setanter wrote: »
    That's my present to me from me sorted!!

Ever wonder what the Amazon guy in Italy thinks about the spike from Ireland ?

Same. Dec 20th says it will arrive by. Fingers crossed. :)
    They're "grand" in terms of sound quality, but it's the best in class noise cancellation which sells them. They're excellent in this regard. Waiting for reviews of the new B&O H9. If they combine the Sound quality of the new h6s with decent noise cancelling then they should be superb. Wait for a price reduction though.

The other thing I love about Bose is the comfort - I have a normal pair and they're the only ones I can wear for any length of time without my ears getting sore.

• Advertisement

Waiting for reviews of the new B&O H9. If they combine the Sound quality of the new h6s with decent noise cancelling then they should be superb. Wait for a price reduction though.

I wouldn't hold my breath. It isn't a case of simply combining two different technologies. The way ANC works is that is specifically mixes audio waves into the original audio to cancel out external noises. This mixing will never allow you to get the same audio quality as you would from an open back headphone without ANC in a quiet environment.

Having said that in a noisy environment (particularly plans, etc.) nothing will beat the sound quality of a good ANC headphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,733 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread, but what is are the best headphones for home use if you don't need noise cancellation, but are only interested in audio quality? Budget around this level. Was hoping to get to near audiophile quality without having to spend silly money

Currently use my trusted Sennheiser HD580 that I bought from Richersounds many, many years ago. They are good, but I'm looking for a significant step up. Have a decent Pioneer VSX930 Receiver, that I will plug these into, so no need for Bluetooth either...

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

TheBlock wrote: »
    Just ordered a set of these as my Christmas Pressie, due to arrive between 23rd - 26th Dec, hopefully 23rd!!

Have you a set? Whats the quality like?

I do have a set but they're wrapped up until Christmas Day. Mine were delivered in about three days so I'm sure you'll have them before the 23rd!

unkel wrote: »
    Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread, but what is are the best headphones for home use if you don't need noise cancellation, but are only interested in audio quality? Budget around this level. Was hoping to get to near audiophile quality without having to spend silly money

Currently use my trusted Sennheiser HD580 that I bought from Richersounds many, many years ago. They are good, but I'm looking for a significant step up. Have a decent Pioneer VSX930 Receiver, that I will plug these into, so no need for Bluetooth either...

God no, those HD580 are a fantastic headphone, considered to be almost studio quality and would have significantly better audio quality in a quiet environment then these.

You'll find it difficult to upgrade from these HD580's for the same money. Maybe the HD650's they are very well regarded, but might not be a massive jump up from the 580's

BTW the HD580's are now more then 50 years old! Interesting read here:

http://www.headfonia.com/the-sennheiser-trio-hd580-hd600-hd650/

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

bk wrote: »
    BTW the HD580's are now more then 50 years old! Interesting read here:

From the article -

"It seemed clear that the HD580 was quite a successful product, and on Sennheiser’s 50th Anniversary in 1995, the HD580 Jubilee Edition was released..... In 2003, 10 years after the HD580, Sennheiser released the HD650"

I think Sennheiser are more than 50 years old, but the HD580s are more like 23 years old? Which is still pretty effin old.

cyburger wrote: »
    From the article -

"It seemed clear that the HD580 was quite a successful product, and on Sennheiser’s 50th Anniversary in 1995, the HD580 Jubilee Edition was released..... In 2003, 10 years after the HD580, Sennheiser released the HD650"

I think Sennheiser are more than 50 years old, but the HD580s are more like 23 years old? Which is still pretty effin old.

Sorry, you are correct, Sennheiser was founded in 1945. 1995 was their 50th anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

gar wrote: »

If you are looking for active noise cancelling then the Bose QC's. Doesn't have to be the QC35, good deals around on the QC20 and 25's too. I got my QC20's for £150 a few years ago.

Nothing else comes even close to Bose for ANC, they literally reduce noise magnitudes better then above (decibels is a logarithmic scale).

If you don't need ANC and just want bluetooth headphones, then other options out their would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

bk wrote: »
    If you are looking for active noise cancelling then the Bose QC's. Doesn't have to be the QC35, good deals around on the QC20 and 25's too. I got my QC20's for £150 a few years ago.

Nothing else comes even close to Bose for ANC, they literally reduce noise magnitudes better then above (decibels is a logarithmic scale).

If you don't need ANC and just want bluetooth headphones, then other options out their would be better.

100 is my budget really. Only for occasional travel.
    Just anxious about the comfort of the creative set as its meant to be quite tight

• Advertisement

gar wrote: »
    100 is my budget really. Only for occasional travel.
    Just anxious about the comfort of the creative set as its meant to be quite tight

I know how you feel, I felt the same before I got my QC20's, that they were too expensive.

But reading the reviews, even the ones you linked to above, it is clear that they do almost nothing to actually reduce noise while travelling. It is clear that they just throw in ANC as a marketing term to try and sell them, but in reality it has very little benefit.

To give you an idea. A library is 40db, a suburbs about 50db and an office about 60db. A plan is about 105db during takeoff and landing and about 85db during cruise.

The creatives only reduce noise by 7db, almost useless for planes. The Sony's by 14db, ok, better, but still not really great. The Sony's will take you from 85 down to 70db, some improvement, but even 8 hours at 70db can cause hearing damage.

The Bose, reduce noise by about 24db, taking your 85db down to a much more reasonable 60db, roughly equivalent of an office.

I don't think there is much point in buying a cheaper option if it simply isn't going to do the job. Better to wait and save and buy when you can afford it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement