Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bose Quiet Comfort 35 headphones

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

A good "budget" option are the Sony ANC headphones here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-ZX770BN-Wireless-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B00U5WUOMM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1481920879&sr=1-3&keywords=sony+noise+cancelling+headphones - I bought them in place of the BOSE after trying both.

The BOSE has superior noise cancelling as you would expect due to the price difference, in fact the ANC on the Bose is incredible. The Sony, while not as good, is exceptional for the price. The sound is excellent also and I've used them on both trains and planes and listened to the music in beautiful near silence!! You will still hear the purr of the engine but it's barely and I mean barely audible. After 10 seconds you have forgotten it's even there. The Bose does completely eliminate it but for me that wasn't worth the >€250 difference in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

The QC25 are currently €251 in Dublin airport at the moment. That's a great price. The only place I know of cheaper is Perth airport where they are circa €240 (340 AUD). Unless someone can enlighten me to a better ( more accessible) price !

PS .....what's the difference between the Apple and Android versions ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 smk321

For the QC25 the apple version the buttons on the cable don't all work with android phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

a clanger wrote:
    The QC25 are currently €251 in Dublin airport at the moment. That's a great price. The only place I know of cheaper is Perth airport where they are circa €240 (340 AUD). Unless someone can enlighten me to a better ( more accessible) price !

What's difference between Q25 and Q35 (not 10!)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sweetie wrote: »
    What's difference between Q25 and Q35 (not 10!)

Main differences are:

35 - Bluetooth, works with both iOS and android and built in rechargeable battery.

25 - wired, the cable is different so there's an iOS and android version, requires 1 AAA to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

bk wrote: »
    An office wouldn't really be a good place to test headphones like this. It is on airplanes, trains and buses where headphones like this shine.

Headphones like these with active noise cancelation are designed to get rid of the constant loud noise of an engine. They would all work roughly the same in an office environment, with people talking etc. When it comes to talking, ANC doesn't actually work, it is just the isolation nature of the headphones that are reducing the noise of people around you talking.

The one exception in an office is if it has loud Air conditioning or the loud noise of computers operating, then ANC can help.

From the wire cutter review of sound cancelling headphones:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-noise-cancelling-headphones/

When it comes to noise cancellation on planes, where these are types of headphones are most useful, then nothing else comes even close to the various Bose QC headphones (I've the QC20 in-ear ones).

I didn't say the ANC works in a typical office. I am familiar with the ins and outs of ANC and its main use which for most people would be planes.

The reason I mentioned our office is because we are able to compare multiple brands that people there have. We also have white noise in the office which is quite loud and ANC actually helps quite a bit with that.

You linked a review to the previous model of the headphones I mentioned. Not the current version which is the pro 2.

Please ensure your facts are correct before dismissing my opinions.

I stand by my assessment that the backbeat pro 2 deliver most of the benefits of the qc35 at a much reduced price.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

PaulKK wrote: »
    I stand by my assessment that the backbeat pro 2 deliver most of the benefits of the qc35 at a much reduced price.

Shrug

Here are some reviews for you:

http://www.soundguys.com/plantronics-backbeat-pro-2-review-10468/
    These are active noise cancelling headphones, but don’t expect to get much noise cancelling out of them. Where other headphones cut out low hums from trains pretty much entirely, the Backbeat Pro 2 more like cut it in half. It was significantly less obtrusive to the listening experience, but it was still there.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/plantronics-backbeat-pro-2-review
    However, if you can afford an extra £100 then the Bose QuietComfort 35 are a superior option. They offer radically improved ANC and noticeably better sound quality, albeit with slightly shorter battery life.

Sounds like many other "cheap" ANC headphones I've used in the past. They don't do much real ANC and aren't really all the effective on airplanes. A few db drop, but not enough to make a real difference.

I do understand, Bose are extremely expensive. But once you've tried them for real, you'll never go back. I was so happy to pick up a pair of QC20's for just £150. But now that I've experienced them, I know that if I lost and broke them in the morning, I'd run out and replace them full price.

Let me tell you a horrible real world experience. Just two weeks ago, I flew for 2 hours, followed by 6 hour wait in an airport, followed by 11 hour flight with my better half and my 13 month old baby! :eek:

I slept through most of the 11 hour leg, when I woke up near the end of the flight, I said to my better half, wow, our baby slept through it all too. You should of seen the dirty look she gave me! No she hadn't, she had woken up multiple times, I just hadn't heard because of my headphones and had slept through it all!

Really amazing, before getting my Bose, I could never fly on a plane. Now I can't even hear my own baby next too me! :D

The Backbeats aren't that much cheaper, they are still a pretty expensive headphone, £229! That is more expensive then the QC25's and only €20 less then this deal on the QC35's, while not coming close to being as good according to multiple reviews.

I know, most people go through this process. Man those Bose can't be worth that, they really can't be all that better, I'll just get these cheaper ones, I'm sure they will be good enough. I did that, tried multiple pairs of different "cheap" ANC headphones and in-ear isolation phones (Etymotics) and the truth is they were all a waste of money in the end, I should have just skipped them all and went straight to the Bose, it would have been cheaper overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I'm surprised you're still alive to tell that tale :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

They don't block out elbows not sure how you weren't woken up.

Have a pair of bose not ANC however comfort and quality unreal, have done the sales demo for the 25s many times and so close to pushing the button many times. Unreal quality and wouldn't consider any other anc solutions having tested some of them during hours wasted in airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Just on the subject - I dawdled over buying a pair of QC20s a few years ago, wondering whether it was really worth paying that much for noise cancellation. I get the bus or train most days, and they have completely changed that ordeal into an experience I almost look forward to. They don't block all noises, particularly not conversations, but they allow me to listen to the radio or an audiobook as if I'm in my own little oasis of quiet. I often use them in the office with noise cancellation turned on and nothing playing through them.

On planes the effect is dramatic in terms of noise cancellation, it's only when you turn them off you realise how much noise there is. If I lost my earphones in the morning, I'd have no hesitation spending the money to get another pair.

The QC20s are great because they are in-ear, and over-ear would be too cumbersome to carry. If I could wear over-ears, the QC35s are what I would go for, or the QC25s if there was a really good offer. I would avoid the QC30s for now, the reviews of the noise cancellation say they are not as good as the QC20s. The QC20s are available for around 250 these days and are well worth considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Let me tell you a horrible real world experience. Just two weeks ago, I flew for 2 hours, followed by 6 hour wait in an airport, followed by 11 hour flight with my better half and my 13 month old baby! :eek:

I slept through most of the 11 hour leg, when I woke up near the end of the flight, I said to my better half, wow, our baby slept through it all too. You should of seen the dirty look she gave me! No she hadn't, she had woken up multiple times, I just hadn't heard because of my headphones and had slept through it all!

Really amazing, before getting my Bose, I could never fly on a plane. Now I can't even hear my own baby next too me! :D

The Backbeats aren't that much cheaper, they are still a pretty expensive headphone, £229! That is more expensive then the QC25's and only €20 less then this deal on the QC35's, while not coming close to being as good according to multiple reviews.

I know, most people go through this process. Man those Bose can't be worth that, they really can't be all that better, I'll just get these cheaper ones, I'm sure they will be good enough. I did that, tried multiple pairs of different "cheap" ANC headphones and in-ear isolation phones (Etymotics) and the truth is they were all a waste of money in the end, I should have just skipped them all and went straight to the Bose, it would have been cheaper overall.

If you weren't pulling those Bose from your anus after that story, I reckon you should hang on to that lady of yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

"I slept through most of the 11 hour leg, when I woke up near the end of the flight, I said to my better half, wow, our baby slept through it all too. You should of seen the dirty look she gave me! No she hadn't, she had woken up multiple times, I just hadn't heard because of my headphones and had slept through it all!

Really amazing, before getting my Bose, I could never fly on a plane. Now I can't even hear my own baby next too me! "

Whatever about replacing the heaphones if you lose them you'll never find another woman like that in this day and age, you have a keeper there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I never fly without mine, I'm always jinxed having screaming babies close by so the Bose do the job at blocking the noise and helping me relax from the surrounding mayhem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Shrug

Here are some reviews for you:

http://www.soundguys.com/plantronics-backbeat-pro-2-review-10468/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/plantronics-backbeat-pro-2-review

Sounds like many other "cheap" ANC headphones I've used in the past. They don't do much real ANC and aren't really all the effective on airplanes. A few db drop, but not enough to make a real difference.

I do understand, Bose are extremely expensive. But once you've tried them for real, you'll never go back. I was so happy to pick up a pair of QC20's for just £150. But now that I've experienced them, I know that if I lost and broke them in the morning, I'd run out and replace them full price.

I didn't deny that the Bose are the best. They probably are.

You can cherry pick reviews all you like but there are also multiple reviews stating that the backbeats are very close to the Bose. You are also not mentioning that the reviews you linked are giving them 8 and 9 out of 10.

https://www.cnet.com/products/plantronics-backbeat-pro-2/review/

If you can get the qc 35 for 20 quid more then yes go for them. My point was at rrp the Bose are approx 350 euro and the back beats 199 dollars.

I did mention that you should pick the back beats up in the states for 199 dollars which is what I did.

I can never sleep on planes and wearing the backbeats on my last transatlantic flight I was able to grab a couple of hours. They make a huge difference, not a couple of decibles like you describe. Its almost silent.

I won't comment on your parenting/husband skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

£260 on amazon.co.uk today. That's just shy of €310.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Just bought QC25 from ebay. Described as ex-display. Worked out at €200. There's another one listed for the same price from a different seller (both UK)

I have a pair of Sennheiser PXC250 II and I find them good. Seeing I have those, I wouldn't have paid full price for the Bose but it'll be interesting to compare the two. I do a lot of travel by air so anything that helps will be well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Just bought a pair of the triple black QC25's on eBay. As new with receipt for 200 euro.
    Definite improvement on my QC15s which now sound thin and harsh in comparison.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ImARebel wrote: »
    I'm surprised you're still alive to tell that tale :D
    JoeyJJ wrote: »
    They don't block out elbows not sure how you weren't woken up.
    Soarer wrote: »
    If you weren't pulling those Bose from your anus after that story, I reckon you should hang on to that lady of yours.
    AmberGold wrote: »
    Whatever about replacing the heaphones if you lose them you'll never find another woman like that in this day and age, you have a keeper there.

I know right, I know I'm a very lucky man :D She even doesn't mind me spending money on geek tech toys as she likes them herself :) Only problem is that she expects me to buy her a nice pair of Bose ANC headphones now before the next trip! Smart lady ;)
    hmmm wrote: »
    Just on the subject - I dawdled over buying a pair of QC20s a few years ago, wondering whether it was really worth paying that much for noise cancellation. I get the bus or train most days, and they have completely changed that ordeal into an experience I almost look forward to. They don't block all noises, particularly not conversations, but they allow me to listen to the radio or an audiobook as if I'm in my own little oasis of quiet. I often use them in the office with noise cancellation turned on and nothing playing through them.

On planes the effect is dramatic in terms of noise cancellation, it's only when you turn them off you realise how much noise there is. If I lost my earphones in the morning, I'd have no hesitation spending the money to get another pair.

Yes, exactly my own experience. I use to hate the long distance flights I'd have to take, down right painful. While I won't say they are "fun" now or that I look forward to them, it has made them so much easier it is unbelievable.

The best travel upgrade you can get. IMO better then upgrading to premium economy or business class * (1st class obviously a different story).

* Actually many airlines now supply these Bose headphones in Business class, so you would benefit from them, though that would be just for one flight, versus buying your own and using them for the next 10 years worth of flights.

And yup, it is really on a plane where these shine. You really can't properly test these out in an office or shop, you just can't recreate (thankfully) the constant 85db's noise of a plane. You really only notice how loud the plane really is when you take them off to go to the toilets, etc. It is then that I've often found myself winching in pain, there is such a different and the aircraft is so loud.
    hmmm wrote: »
    The QC20s are great because they are in-ear, and over-ear would be too cumbersome to carry. If I could wear over-ears, the QC35s are what I would go for, or the QC25s if there was a really good offer. I would avoid the QC30s for now, the reviews of the noise cancellation say they are not as good as the QC20s. The QC20s are available for around 250 these days and are well worth considering.

Yup the QC20's have a number of distinct advantages. They actually have a few db more sound reduction then the over ear models. They are obviously much more portable. They are easier to sleep in and if you wear glasses they are much better *

* The over ear ones can cause glasses to sit uncomfortably on your ears and nose and the glasses also cause the ear piece not have a tight fit, which reduces it's ability to reduce noise by at least a few decibels!

However I also know that some people don't really like in ear headphones and prefer the over ear type.

BTW One expensive tip that I've heard on some other frequent flyers forums, is that some people use two pairs of Bose earphones! An in-ear one like the QC20, with ANC on and the music/movie through that and then a second pair of the over-ear ones like the QC25 or QC35 on top of that, with their ANC also turned on. Seemingly this creates almost complete silence, even from people talking on airplanes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

And yup, it is really on a plane where these shine. You really can't properly test these out in an office or shop, you just can't recreate (thankfully) the constant 85db's noise of a plane. You really only notice how loud the plane really is when you take them off to go to the toilets, etc. It is then that I've often found myself winching in pain, there is such a different and the aircraft is so loud.

To be fair they shine in lots of places not just on a plane! :)

Got my pair from Amazon.it on Monday and have been very impressed with the noise cancellation (had only ever tested the 25s in a shop ages ago and thought they were very good then). I work at home and in an office and find a big difference when wearing them - everything is much quieter even before you put on any music. Glasses wearer here too.

Was a bit wary paying that much (even if they were 100 off) but delighted I got them now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Trying my hardest not to buy these!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Anyone dawdling. Do it. Go on, you deserve it. I have a pair a few months and while I've used them a few times on planes, they are exceptional in the office or on the street.

It's a lot of money but if you them every day for a year, that's only a Euro a day.

Sure go on, it's Christmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Currently £260/€300 on Amazon.co.uk

Go on you know you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Off to Boston and NY over Xmas, anywhere I might get these cheaper or is the exchange rate fecking everything up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Might be worth looking in the bose factory outlets over there.
    There's one in woodbury common, not sure about Boston.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

sooooo want, reckon they will go down a bit more after xmas? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Link?

They've gone back up in price to £289.95, was £260 yesterday.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bose-QuietComfort-35-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B01E3SNO1G

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Just picked up the last set they had in Terminal 1. Very impressed already. Totally unnecessary purchase but sure it's Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Just picked up the last set they had in Terminal 1. Very impressed already. Totally unnecessary but sure it's Christmas.

What's their price now at Dixon's travel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

j4vier wrote: »
    What's their price now at Dixon's travel?

€309

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement