Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Stranding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

It's bloody embarrassing at this stage that folks still don't have any clue what the game actually is

I saw this...eh...interpretation on Reddit today:
    Posting this for people who are curious, but trailer 3 pretty much gives away everything you can expect from the gameplay loop in a very cinematic way.

It's a third person sci-fi action game that takes place after a huge explosion that caused something that's called Timefall, rain that speeds up and ages whatever it touches.

Everything it touches crumbles and dies except for plastic ironically, the one thing we polluted the planet with will outlive us.

So they use plastic to build bases and suits to protect themselves, and the main character Sam is a delivery man going between these bases. Why and what he is delivering is part of the mystery and that's fine, that's a good thing.

When he faces enemies or bosses, they kill you and you end up switching to first person mode in this purgatory dimension searching for your body. When you find your body you enter your mouth and the naked baby giving you a thumbs up acts as a transition back to the third person "reality".

Every death seems to leave a handprint on his body.

Then you continue on your journey, rinse and repeat. The end of the trailer showed stealth, and the short teaser shown at TGS showed the bosses you'll face.

He says it will revolve around building a "rope" with players around the world. Most likely a connection like a more advanced version of Dark Souls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So his name is Sam Bridges..? I thought it was Porter all this time :o

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

<pre order pic>

Looks like preorders will be available soon as already leaked

Is that real? When I saw the cosmetic stuff on the side I assumed it was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is that real? When I saw the cosmetic stuff on the side I assumed it was a joke.

I'm assuming so as it's on reddit otherwise it's a very good photoshop. Also there is definitely something happening today so I'd say it's real

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭Glico Man

November 8th release date revealed on the Playstation Twitch channel after showing a bit of gameplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

:eek::confused::eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brevity

I’m confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

AT this stage am only interested in the gameplay elements of these trailers, no point showing all these amazing cutscenes if I dont know WTF I will be doing for most of the game.

So it seems open world exploration, using gadgets to climb/descend (wonder how systematic the ladder part is, or will 30% of my gameplay be aligning a ladder that slips off a cliff I have to pick up and try again). Could be nice, hope theres lots to find and secret stuff to uncover.

The old wars part....seems more traditional pewpew. Wonder how scripted it will be (using the tank as cover seems, seems very "gamey" if it drives along a pre-determined route you need to use). No clue how that factors into the plot: are all the shades and black goop the dead souls of wars past, dragging people into their hell; and if so, how do the babies factor in, some kind of genetic/cultural memory they tap into?

I'm fearful every review will be crapping themselves over the graphics and the cast and the crazy plot and ignore how the gameplay may just be another open-world explorathon with some third person pewpew.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I think this looks insanely good, can't wait to see more of it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Standard Edition

Pre-order the Standard Edition and immediately get a voucher to download a Chibi Ludens PSN Avatar – a stylized version of the iconic logo for Kojima Productions – plus, a Death Stranding PS4 Dynamic Theme at launch.

Pre-orders also receive special gold versions of in-game items earned through gameplay:

Gold “Sam” Sunglasses
    Gold Hat
    Gold Speed Skeleton: Increase the speed of Sam’s movement when equipped
    Gold Armor Plate: Increase protection against any damage Sam takes

Special Edition
    47959134703_aa4fe86d07_b.jpg

The Special Edition includes a collectible Steelbook case. Pre-order and receive all incentives offered through the Standard Edition. The Special Edition also includes –

A special gold version of the Gold “Ludens Mask” Sunglasses earned through gameplay.

As well as these digital bonuses:

Death Stranding: Timefall (Original Music from the World of Death Stranding)
    Music Album Digital Download
    Behind the Scenes Making Of Digital Video

Digital Deluxe Edition
    47959125102_253d81aef7_b.jpg

Pre-order the Digital Deluxe Edition and receive all digital pre-order incentives offered via the Standard Edition. The Digital Deluxe also includes:

Special gold versions of in-game items earned through gameplay:

Gold “Ludens Mask” Sunglasses
    Gold Power Skeleton: Enhance Sam’s ability to handle heavy cargo
    Gold All-Terrain Skeleton: Enhance Sam’s ability to balance himself on uneven terrain
    Gold Armor Plate (Level 2): Stronger protection for Sam against falls, gunfire, and more
    As well as these digital bonuses:

Death Stranding: Timefall (Original Music from the World of Death Stranding)
    Music Album Digital Download
    Behind the Scenes Making Of Digital Video

Collectors Edition
    47959124602_56a267659a_b.jpg

Also available for pre-order starting today is the Death Stranding Collector’s Edition , which includes all Digital Deluxe Edition in-game items and bonus contents, the Special Edition Steelbook, plus:

Life-sized BB Pod Statue
    BRIDGES Cargo Case
    Ludens Keychain

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

On PSN now, standard is €70 and digital deluxe is €80

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm pretty sure I love it, I think.

Life size BB pod is definitely one of the stranger collector's edition items.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I love how Hideo Kojima is both one of the few genuine auteurs working at this level and how he’s also a complete parody of himself.

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1133765964955209730?s=21

“As Sam Bridges you will attempt to ‘bridge’ these divisions” is just such an incredible, bad sentence.

I stress that I’m thankful Death Stranding exists because even if it’s a failure it will at least be a weird, unique one.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That trailer was mental.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I think whatever we think it might be it will end up being something completely different. Thats quite refreshing and what has convinced me to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Character models look quite similar to MGS. Check out the guy he hits with the suitcase at 3.23

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Best part of the new trailer was finally figuring out what it's all about

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love how Hideo Kojima is both one of the few genuine auteurs working at this level and how he’s also a complete parody of himself.

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1133765964955209730?s=21

“As Sam Bridges you will attempt to ‘bridge’ these divisions” is just such an incredible, bad sentence.

I stress that I’m thankful Death Stranding exists because even if it’s a failure it will at least be a weird, unique one.

I'm apprehensive. Kojima needs people around him to tell him no. Otherwise you end up with garbage like Mgs4.

Still mgs5 nailed the gameplay so if this is as fun but with a ****e story I'll still enjoy it.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I'm still too ashamed of my words and deeds after questioning the choice of Quiets clothes in MGS 5. I did not reckon on Kojima's brilliance in story telling. I'm not worthy enough to play this game! :(

• Advertisement

Time to add MGS4 to the hit list along with FF7 and Bioshock :P

weiland79 wrote: »
    Character models look quite similar to MGS. Check out the guy he hits with the suitcase at 3.23

Its the FOX engine, I assumed konami owned it. Seems its Kojimas, it looks very good, even now MGS5 is a good looking game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its the FOX engine, I assumed konami owned it. Seems its Kojimas, it looks very good, even now MGS5 is a good looking game.

Nope it's the degica engine that was made for horizon zero dawn.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

SAh ok so konami do own the Fox? looks very similiar with the lighting effects.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    SAh ok so konami do own the Fox? looks very similiar with the lighting effects.

Yeah fox engine is now konami.

Would not be surprised if ex Kojima studios tech team helped out guerrilla though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Bonus footage from the Japanese trailer, including a boss or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Looks unique which is usually enough to get me interested these days. Too bad it's only on PS4. Not investing in 8th gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Decima engine isn''t it ?

They gave him a copy of the engine and source code in a show of confidence and good faith, even before they had a contract.
    “It has to be technology and people, they cannot be separate. From the first moment I met Guerrilla I had a good feeling about this,” said Kojima. He also said the Decima Engine was “very appropriate to working on open worlds.” Apparently, the creators of Killzone and now Horizon Zero Dawn even entrusted Kojima with a copy of the engine’s source code before any paperwork was signed.

Check out this video, from 13:40 onwards, he talks about it

https://youtu.be/cmuL-DOvCiU?t=820

also here from Guerilla and NoClip docu

https://youtu.be/h9tLcD1r-6w?t=2725 from 45:25 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

From Reddit - more info from the Dutch PlayStation site translated:

Travel between life and death

Save civilization in a desolate world that is plagued by supernatural dangers.

Life and death

Experience an adventure you've never seen before - from the legendary game designer Hideo Kojima. Play as the everyday Sam Bridges as he faces a deadly and mysterious world where death is lurking everywhere.

Death Stranding is a unique and unforgettable game with a star cast, including Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelsen, Lindsay Wagner, Léa Seydoux and Guillermo del Toro.

What is Death Stranding?

The legendary game maker Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid) presents a groundbreaking action adventure. Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelsen, Léa Seydoux and Lindsay Wagner play the lead roles in this new open world game for PS4.

In the near future, the entire world will be plagued by mysterious explosions and supernatural events called the Dead Stranding. Strange, deadly creatures appear everywhere and humanity is about to die out. Sam Porter Bridges travels through the destroyed no man's land to secure the future of humanity.

Survive unique challenges

Make sure you are armed and complete your missions to reunite a broken nation. Hold yourself under the weight of your cargo as you protect your things from bandits and try to evade frightening Stranded Things. Many people depend on you. Don't disappoint them.

Explore the world

The Decima engine generates a lifelike landscape that has been totally transformed by the Dead Stranding. Obstacles block your path and force you to find other routes, while supernatural elements change your environment.

Death is not the end

Dying means no 'game over' in Death Stranding. You then end up in a strange world and you have to find your own way back to the land of the living. Also be careful during battles. Killing your enemy is almost never the best solution. After all, every death has consequences.

Help other players

Help other travelers without meeting each other via asynchronous online gameplay. Send stuff, share safehouses and follow the routes of other couriers to restore civilization.

• Advertisement
Advertisement