Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer Campaign 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Was there many questions and how long did it take you?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I think I spent around 30-40 minutes on it.
    I was surprised at how long I spent at it, and annoyed I wasn't paying attention to time.
    Not that there's a timer, but they say 45 minutes or less I think.

[Removed]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Anybody know if the tests are psychometric. As in:

Verbal reasoning
    Numerical reasoning
    situational judgement
    Diagrammatic reasoning

I did tests for civil service before but didn't include the Diagrammatic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

py2006 wrote: »
    Anybody know if the tests are psychometric. As in:

Verbal reasoning
    Numerical reasoning
    situational judgement
    Diagrammatic reasoning

I did tests for civil service before but didn't include the Diagrammatic one.

No, that is part B which is the next part to follow. Part A is answering a series of statements about yourself and few job scenario questions etc.

No, that is part B which is the next part to follow. Part A is answering a series of statements about yourself and few job scenario questions etc.

Sorry meant for part b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Sorry meant for part b

As far as I know it's Verbal and numerical in Part B. The situational judgement is the one we're answering in Part A. I've never heard of any competition doing the diagrammatic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Years ago there were 4 exams and one was diagrammatic.

They include that in their Info Booklet so they have the choice to use it but for the last number of campaigns it has just been verbal and numerical.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Can I ask if anyone split their internet session for the assessment when they were doing it?

The reason I ask is that I intend to do mine tomorrow morning before work and I'd like to know if, for whatever reason, I was unable to complete it before work, would I be able to pick it up again in the evening?

Thanks

Can I ask if anyone split their internet session for the assessment when they were doing it?

The reason I ask is that I intend to do mine tomorrow morning before work and I'd like to know if, for whatever reason, I was unable to complete it before work, would I be able to pick it up again in the evening?

Thanks

As far as I know you can. Read the brief they sent. They say if your net cuts our half way you can reconnect and continue...

Set aside a good hour of your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Hi everyone,

Is this competition still open? Do you need a degree to apply. Currently in College. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭eroc79

richy wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Is this competition still open? Do you need a degree to apply. Currently in College. Thanks

Hi. You don't need a degree if you have the right results in the leaving. This competition has just started but the closing date for entry was last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

As far as I know you can. Read the brief they sent. They say if your net cuts our half way you can reconnect and continue...

Set aside a good hour of your time.

Yeah I saw the instructions. Just thought i'd double-check to see if anyone was able to do it in practice as the systems used have proved to be a bit patchy in the past.

Thanks

Got it done in one session anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Just did it there. Hard to know what questions are "correct"! Best of luck to us all now!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭misslemon

Just completed it. I found the scenarios for this competition more difficult than the scenarios for AO back in October.

I didn't expect to find it so tough :confused:

Still part B is where the real fun begins! :D Best of luck to everyone still to sit theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭juncert

Just completed,the waiting begins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Just so I know what I'm doing - the math and verbal are next week right? The AO and AP were all together so I'm the tiniest bit apprehensive.

But I found the exam to be interesting. The EOs in my department don't really deal with the situations given so didn't have too much to fall back on but one scenario (removed example) more or less happened to me yesterday morning so I was grateful for it!

Just so I know what I'm doing - the math and verbal are next week right?
    Not sure about that, I.doubt it.

Just so I know what I'm doing - the math and verbal are next week right?

I was confused because of the AO competition too. Yeah, just the assessment now. Verbal and maths will probably open towards the end of next week or the week after.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭babygirl30

caarp wrote: »
    Just wondering, are there a lot of workplace scenario questions or just a few?

Ten scenario's

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

Does anybody know the timeline for the following stages of the competition please?  I'm guessing Stage 1, Part B might be next week but any idea about the timing of Stage 2?  Is it something like 2-3 weeks later, so mid February?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

caarp wrote: »
    Does anybody know the timeline for the following stages of the competition please?  I'm guessing Stage 1, Part B might be next week but any idea about the timing of Stage 2?  Is it something like 2-3 weeks later, so mid February?

It'll depend on your result from stage 1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I found it odd. I did the PO competition a few weeks back and felt the questions were more intuitive and clear cut.

It seemed that most of the scenario options in the EO were terrible :p

quad_red wrote: »
    I found it odd. I did the PO competition a few weeks back and felt the questions were more intuitive and clear cut.

It seemed that most of the scenario options in the EO were terrible :p

That's what I thought! I passed the AO questionnaire a few months back so I wasn't too worried about the EO one but the EO scenarios were MENTAL! :eek:

I'm actually worried about getting through to 1b because those scenarios and me did not gel. At all.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

misslemon wrote: »
    That's what I thought! I passed the AO questionnaire a few months back so I wasn't too worried about the EO one but the EO scenarios were MENTAL! :eek:

I'm actually worried about getting through to 1b because those scenarios and me did not gel. At all.

The good news is that everyone gets through to Stage 1B.

Stage 2 is where you won't be reaching. :)

Only joking, best of luck, it may not be as bad as you think.

The good news is that everyone gets through to Stage 1B.

Stage 2 is where you won't be reaching. :)

Only joking, best of luck, it may not be as bad as you think.

:D

Thanks, I misread that part!

Although to be honest if I didn't pass the assessment I'd prefer to know now. It would save me a week of practicing those tools of the devil that are the numerical and verbal reasoning tests. To do them all and find out it was pointless because I was out before I started may destroy my soul.

As you can see resilience and sense of perspective are my strongest competencies. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Got no email saying I had completed Stage 1A..

Got no email saying I had completed Stage 1A..

It said at the end of the questionnaire that we wouldn't get email confirmation of completion, so don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Just did it there. I agree that the scenarios were a bit tough. [Removed]

Ah sure it's done now. I'm hoping the second part isn't next week because I have assignments due.

carnie wrote: »
    Just did it there. I agree that the scenarios were a bit tough. [Removed]

Ah sure it's done now. I'm hoping the second part isn't next week because I have assignments due.

I'm glad other people found it tough, gives me some hope!

I hope it's not next week too. I reckon we'd need to hear by this evening if it the testing window was going to open and close next week. Any later and the testing window might wrap around next weekend or be the week after.

Just speculating though. Wouldn't be a civil service competition without some guesswork! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭eroc79

Just out of curiosity did they let you speak to your husband in the end?

Think they were the person answering the phone and making the decision.

Advertisement