Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Executive Officer Campaign 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ros260

Sparkles27 wrote: »
    Naydy wrote: »
    Does anyone one know if your ranking changes after etray and interview or do you just go on a panel at the number you're already at if you pass? Thanks :)

Your ranking will be based on e-tray and interview. Previous rankings will be disregarded.

Is this fair? One person who has a higher standard of education, higher performance in both sets of tests and the e tray could end up not getting the job, while someone else the intervier might have something in common with gets the job despite scoring lower in all the tests and less well educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

ros260 wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest did many people only pick one county when the were choosing there location

I picked two (limerick and Galway). I live in clare currently and work as a CO in limerick so it would be ideal to stay in the city but my partners family all live in Galway so would have no problem with relocating there if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Rosie_ob

Is this fair? One person who has a higher standard of education, higher performance in both sets of tests and the e tray could end up not getting the job, while someone else the intervier might have something in common with gets the job despite scoring lower in all the tests and less well educated.

Education wasn't scored there is a minimum requirement so whether a person has the bare minimum or a masters didn't come into it at the testing stage, however I'm sure it would have some weighting at interview if the candidate drew on it. (They did run through education and work experience to start off my interview)

In relation to the testing I suppose the benefit of a good mark is rewarded by being in the first batch for interview. I can see why it's disregarded at this stage, a person can practice those tests all day everyday and will likely improve, however they may not be the best candidate for the job. They may be sufficient at interview but others may have more experience etc... or better ability to perform the actual tasks required i.e. Etray. On this occasion I wish you did retain your original number for purely selfish reasons as it's the best I have ever done or will ever do again 😂

Rosie_ob wrote: »
    Education wasn't scored there is a minimum requirement so whether a person has the bare minimum or a masters didn't come into it at the testing stage, however I'm sure it would have some weighting at interview if the candidate drew on it. (They did run through education and work experience to start off my interview)

In relation to the testing I suppose the benefit of a good mark is rewarded by being in the first batch for interview. I can see why it's disregarded at this stage, a person can practice those tests all day everyday and will likely improve, however they may not be the best candidate for the job. They may be sufficient at interview but others may have more experience etc... or better ability to perform the actual tasks required i.e. Etray. On this occasion I wish you did retain your original number for purely selfish reasons as it's the best I have ever done or will ever do again 😂

I feel similarly! Whilst I totally understand and have no issues with the scoring and re-ranking after stage three, personally, I wish it was pass/fail like CO and we retained stage two placing.

LOL I hear you about the test results. But myou point was some people are good at interviews but might be not good at the job. I am sure we all worked with people who are well able to tell you all the have done but do f all. Or you could be just lucky I know one person who was going for a eo job in justice and the interview was not going well until he mentioned he helped his father farming and it turned out one of the interview panel was married to a farmer. And the talked about that and he got the job even though it had nothing to do with the job. If the person had been married to a banker he would not have got the job

• Advertisement

LOL I hear you about the test results. But myou point was some people are good at interviews but might be not good at the job. I am sure we all worked with people who are well able to tell you all the have done but do f all. Or you could be just lucky I know one person who was going for a eo job in justice and the interview was not going well until he mentioned he helped his father farming and it turned out one of the interview panel was married to a farmer. And the talked about that and he got the job even though it had nothing to do with the job. If the person had been married to a banker he would not have got the job

I think it works both ways someone could be great at tests and only scrape a pass at interview and be number one on a panel or someone could just make the cut after testing and have the gift of gab at an interview and end up number one on the panel. Both could be sh*t workers really, which way is right? I suppose you would like to believe that having an interview 'board' should weed out the farmer type story unless they are all married to farmers (obviously that doesn't happen) but the other board members should take the interview for what it was and score accordingly.

I wish I knew the winning formula

I think it works both ways someone could be great at tests and only scrape a pass at interview and be number one on a panel or someone could just make the cut after testing and have the gift of gab at an interview and end up number one on the panel. Both could be sh*t workers really, which way is right? I suppose you would like to believe that having an interview 'board' should weed out the farmer type story unless they are all married to farmers (obviously that doesn't happen) but the other board members should take the interview for what it was and score accordingly.

I wish I knew the winning formula

True and the worst thing is I know a hell of alot about farming more then him, but there was no farmers on my board!! Maybe some type of system where your tests, e tray and interview scores are combined and then your place is dictated from that seems the fairest way to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Gah! I keep getting job alerts from Public Jobs coming on email from info@publicjobs.ie. I keep jumping thinking that it's the one telling me there's a new message on my message board!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Catuohy89

Ah didn't realise you were re-ranked I had heard you weren't.

Dammit. Even if I do pass my e-tray was terrible. Annoyed because I am more than capable of doing the job and just had an off day :-(

Ah well there's an internal coming up so I'll have to hold on for hope of that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Sparkles27

eimaj77 wrote: »
    Gah! I keep getting job alerts from Public Jobs coming on email from info@publicjobs.ie. I keep jumping thinking that it's the one telling me there's a new message on my message board!!!

Hopefully ye will hear by the end of this week!

• Advertisement

Set it up so you get a text when there's a new message on your board, way handier!!

Catuohy89 wrote: »
    Ah didn't realise you were re-ranked I had heard you weren't.

Dammit. Even if I do pass my e-tray was terrible. Annoyed because I am more than capable of doing the job and just had an off day :-(

Ah well there's an internal coming up so I'll have to hold on for hope of that lol

You have to pass both the e-tray and interview, hopefully you did enough to pass it anyway! Might not have been as bad as you think.

Set it up so you get a text when there's a new message on your board, way handier!!
    Yeah I have that and I normally get the text first and then the email but I keep thinking it could be it!

(We must be wrecking all the other posters with our posts! ;-) )

Yeah I have that and I normally get the text first and then the email but I keep thinking it could be it!

Lol don't worry about it ;)
    It'll be us doing that in a few weeks!

I am the exact same!! Or just keep logging into my message board just incase lol!

I always thought you were re-ranked after this stage didn't know they changed it for the CO.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭misslemon

[quote=Rosie_ob;103275921

I am the exact same!! Or just keep logging into my message board just incase lol [/quote]

Glad to know it's not just me! :D

misslemon wrote: »
    [quote=Rosie_ob;103275921

I am the exact same!! Or just keep logging into my message board just incase lol

Glad to know it's not just me! :D[/quote]

Yep I got a text about a new message on my notice board. It turned out to be a reminder about my TCO interview tomorrow. It like the teasing me!!

Yep I got a text about a new message on my notice board. It turned out to be a reminder about my TCO interview tomorrow. It like the teasing me!!
    Best of luck! I'm sure it would have been nice to know if you got this beforehand though.

Best of luck! I'm sure it would have been nice to know if you got this beforehand though.

Thanks you. Yes sure would, exactly a month after I had the eo interview!!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Just to share the knowledge.

Rang up pas asking if you needed a reference if you're a civil servant who applied for the open competition - you don't.

Also rang up to ask if you needed to provide your leaving cert if you could provide a degree - you don't.

• Advertisement

Just to share the knowledge.

Rang up pas asking if you needed a reference if you're a civil servant who applied for the open competition - you don't.

Also rang up to ask if you needed to provide your leaving cert if you could provide a degree - you don't.

That's great. I was worried as I haven't been in cs very long so have rang my previous employer just in case but fantastic if I don't need it

• Registered Users Posts: 24 paudy

Any movement in waterford/Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 36 feardhoire123

Im in for the donegal batch and im up for interview on 10th May, have an interview for the clerical officer on Tuesday coming. I take it the recruitment process is always like this buts its mental. I dont know why they constantly need passport photos of me or why they cant coordinate the assessments. They wanted me to come in for stage 2 tests  on a monday and then and irish language test on the thursday of the same week. How they expect someone to get this time off work and travel from donegal in time for 9 am is beyond me. Hopefully a job offer will come out of one of the competitions though. Any word from the first batch interviewees?

That's great. I was worried as I haven't been in cs very long so have rang my previous employer just in case but fantastic if I don't need it

I'm only in the civil service 14 months now so I am permanent - if you're less you may want to double check with them.

Well at least the arrival of the weekend means I can stop checking my phone every five minutes! :D

misslemon wrote: »
    Well at least the arrival of the weekend means I can stop checking my phone every five minutes! :D
    Not til 7! I got a text from them at 7 one time. ;-)

Was it yourself that had to decide about the job by Monday? What have you decided?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mcdshe

Called for interview next month but only placed 466 which seems very far back. Should I go to the interview anyway? Could anything come of it??

Mcdshe wrote: »
    Called for interview next month but only placed 466 which seems very far back. Should I go to the interview anyway? Could anything come of it??
    Defo! I think it was 836 altogether got called to batch 1 (Dublin and Regional). Not all will make it through interview. If you do, you could even get number 1 on the panel. The 466 ranking has nothing really to do it anymore - that just helped you get an interview. I'd go for it!

Mcdshe wrote: »

Yeah absolutely. That's just your national ranking not for the counties you chose.

• Advertisement

Not til 7! I got a text from them at 7 one time. ;-)

Was it yourself that had to decide about the job by Monday? What have you decided?

It is indeed me! I haven't made up my mind to be honest. I had decided earlier this week that if I didn't hear by close of business Friday I'd take the other job. But now I'm not sure.

I doubt we'll hear on Monday so I'll have to decide blind. I got a TCO role so that should buy me some time if I give up the other job and then find out I failed stage 3. But then this other job is permanent and permanent jobs are hard to find -everything seems to be fixed term contract.

My head is melted to be honest with you.

Advertisement