Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭phily2002

I'd bet thats gone to longford

Nah I grabbed it at the weekend, sound seller, needs a bit of work but lovely cab

Cheers Deadl0ck for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

phily2002 wrote: »
    Nah I grabbed it at the weekend, sound seller, needs a bit of work but lovely cab

You just beat me to it i rang him up Saturday evening, not long after you took it away im guessing

phily2002 wrote: »

Good job!
    What size monitor does it need?

bmorrissey wrote: »
    You just beat me to it i rang him up Saturday evening, not long after you took it away im guessing

Yeah collect on Saturday afternoon so just got in ahead of you

Good job!
    What size monitor does it need?

15 inch, there's a half working lcd in it which I should be able to get going until I pick up a proper one. There's a ps2 ipac as well, he had started to repair it himself but was moving so didn't have the room

• Advertisement

Can’t see the picture but if it’s a taito cocktail it’s a 13” toei, a 14” will fit fine too though, you can pick up a tube from a old portable and match the yoke with a Chassis

Can’t see the picture but if it’s a taito cocktail it’s a 13” toei, a 14” will fit fine too though, you can pick up a tube from a old portable and match the yoke with a Chassis

Ah cool cheers for that, yeah it's a taito so must be 13, bezel looked bigger but I'll give it a measure when I get home

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Not exactly a bargain (though there is some Adverts tax applied), but I've listed a CiB Sony Vita which is on firmware 3.60 and Henkaku is installed (jailbroken). It's the 1st gen OLED model too...and comes with an SD2VITA adapter so you can use microsd cards with it....pretty much the ultimate Vita setup!

https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/sony-vita-jailbroken-complete-in-box/20796927

Again not exactly 'bargains' per se, but interesting items for some:

3DS XL - Link Between Worlds Limited Edition - https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/nintendo-3ds-xl-zelda-lbw-limited-edition/20801142

"New" 3DS XL - Majora's Mask Limited Edition (with ambassador cert and accompanying games installed) - https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/nintendo-3ds-xl-zelda-majora-s-mask-limited-edition/20801229

Obviously open to reasonable offers them (they're awkward to price given condition etc)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not a massive bargain but an arcade cab ready to go for €650, surely some wiggle room to get that down to €500.
    Not to bad for the beginners games room.
    http://www.adverts.ie/20894074

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not a massive bargain but an arcade cab ready to go for €650, surely some wiggle room to get that down to €500.

Converted Poker? CP angle is a deal breaker :( (or is it just the way the pics are taken??)

Inviere wrote: »
    Converted Poker? CP angle is a deal breaker :( (or is it just the way the pics are taken??)

Deffo,dirt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Someone’s hacked his account, poker conversion with LCD :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Attic Find!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,371 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The control pad is a really cool design.

Still not happy about the screen though. I see in the bigger picture it actually looks like they've used a widescreen LCD and pillarboxed the image, which is beyond lazy/cheap!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    The control pad is a really cool design.

Still not happy about the screen though. I see in the bigger picture it actually looks like they've used a widescreen LCD and pillarboxed the image, which is beyond lazy/cheap!

The problem is it's impossible to get 4:3 LCD screens now. Many of these machines use 16:9 screens and have the bezel cut off the excess screen real estate. And you have weird ones like the 2DS which is basically one giant 16:9 screen vertically orientated with a divided on top to give the illusion it's two screens.

Master of the Universe

It's actually bizarre. They cut the bezel to a 16:9 shape to show two black pillarboxes.

All they had to do was cut the bezel in 4:3 (which is in line with how an Astro looks anyway) and could have used a 16:9 screen, with the pillarboxes hidden behind as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The thing is, if they wanted a small 4:3 lcd in bulk they definitely could have got them. Even getting a company to make them from scratch is doable these days.
    When i was working in China last year we needed a few hundred 3.5" lcd's for a project, a week later we had them from a local Shenzhen manufacturer, and they were 4:3/320x240 displays(and we didn't pay more than 7 or 8 US dollars each). Smaller numbers than what they'll need for the Astro min, but still.

I think they are just been cheap/lazy, which is a real pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

36 games
    10 announced so far:

Alien Syndrome
    Alien Storm
    Golden Axe
    Golden Axe: Revenge of the Death Adder
    Columns II
    Dark Edge
    Tant-R
    Virtua Fighter
    Fantasy Zone
    Altered Beast

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Has the Revenge of the Death Adder been released on any home system before? I don't remember playing it anywhere other than MAME, wonder is this maybe a first?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Steve X2 wrote: »
    The thing is, if they wanted a small 4:3 lcd in bulk they definitely could have got them. Even getting a company to make them from scratch is doable these days.
    When i was working in China last year we needed a few hundred 3.5" lcd's for a project, a week later we had them from a local Shenzhen manufacturer, and they were 4:3/320x240 displays(and we didn't pay more than 7 or 8 US dollars each). Smaller numbers than what they'll need for the Astro min, but still.

I think they are just been cheap/lazy, which is a real pity.

It never ceases to amaze me how cheap and lazy huge companies will be about things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Has the Revenge of the Death Adder been released on any home system before? I don't remember playing it anywhere other than MAME, wonder is this maybe a first?

This is the first ever Home release. Same for Dark Edge.

Tant-R is a hidden gem as well.

[Sarcasm] Hooray, more Golden Axe... [/Sarcasm]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

I saw the thing and was like "cool!", Then I saw the price and I was thinking that a handful of them is getting close to the cost of the real deal. Plus the goddamned lcd thing is like a butterface :p (a terrible thing to say)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Bargain of the year in the marketplace, someone please get that HOTD 3!

Master of the Universe

Yeah it's a bloody big commitment for someone to take but would be so sad to see it have to be destroyed, can't imagine there are too many of them left here now.

Got a link for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

• Advertisement

Ahh man thats beautiful, and an absolute steal. Fond memories of paying that in Tramore years ago :D

Advertisement