Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playerunknown's : Battlegrounds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭dunworth1

are people here turning off foliage?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yay, I won a game! Killed four. Last guy in the 1 v 1 just died outside the play zone :D

Got myself a rewards kit. From it I got a dirty white tank top. Hurray?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm downloading 8.7GB right now. I imagine the actual install will be 10+.

EDIT: 9.1

Ok, have to dive straight in. Thankfully there is a lobby area, at least, so I can see my performance. Everything defaulted to Ultra on my 1070, which is giving me 45fps, which is absolutely not going to fly after getting used to 144 in Overwatch.

Decided to play a black woman, I am guessing I will stand out at least amongst all the Commander Shepard clones :D

Smart to choose a woman. Smaller hitbox and harder to see :o
    dunworth1 wrote: »
    are people here turning off foliage?

Yes, turn foliage and shadows down to very low and you can leave the rest on high or ultra. Foliage and shadows make it easier to see the enemy and saves a good few FPS.

I ended up staying up really late last night playing. It's oddly addictive, but also very annoying. You spend 20 minutes scrambling around, winning a fight or two, and then you get your head blown off as you step around a corner and never knew what got you.

This game seriously needs a killcam feature, I need to be able to see who got me and how!

Overall:
    - Graphics and performance are pretty horrendous for a modern game. I have a 1070 and I've resorted to putting most things on medium, and I still get horrible fps crashes when I look towards any of the big towns (20fps). It spikes to 100+ at other times. That's not really acceptable. I haven't reduced draw distance yet, but in a game where my head can be sniped off from a mile away I don't feel I should have to. I haven't struggled to make a game run in an acceptable fashion like this in a decade. There is also something very ugly and old school about having objects shifting and warping in the distance as the game decides to render them differently depending on how close I am. Many a time I have thought I saw movement but it was just a fence mutating.
    - I had to set all of the sensitivities to 0 and edit off smoothing in an ini before I felt any way comfortable. FoV is still too tight, might be able to ini that. This might have something to do with my mouse's own software though - has anyone else had weird mouse movement?
    - Care packages seem to be a death sentence. I managed to get to one shortly after it landed, killed one guy, and when I opened it I found a giant stack of shotgun ammo and nothing else. Then I was shot in the back. Really doesn't seem worth the risk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's early access, the last things a game gets in development is optimisation. For an unfinished early access game the performance is actually decent.

Also didn't realise Playerunknown lives in Ireland according to eurogamer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Jamiekelly wrote: »

Yes, turn foliage and shadows down to very low and you can leave the rest on high or ultra. Foliage and shadows make it easier to see the enemy and saves a good few FPS.

that's annoying and basically unfair

lowering the graphics settings shouldn't be an advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's not unfair because everyone has the option to do it. Annoying, I'll give you though.

From a technical standpoint there's not really a way around it. Either you force everyone to use the same graphics settings, or someone will find an advantage by messing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Also didn't realise Playerunknown lives in Ireland according to eurogamer.

His twitter a/c says location:Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Played two games. First game I managed to shoot someone three times in the head and they just turned around and shot me once with a pistol. Second time I managed to get a kill but then ran over myself in the buggy.

It's not unfair because everyone has the option to do it. Annoying, I'll give you though.

From a technical standpoint there's not really a way around it. Either you force everyone to use the same graphics settings, or someone will find an advantage by messing with them.

It is a shame, though. If I hide behind a bush, it's kind of absurd that the bush could look completely different on his screen, and while I think I'm hidden, from his view I'm standing in the open.

There is no fundamental reason foliage couldn't be functionally similar across quality settings, even if they're aesthetically different. It's one thing to reduce the complexity and quantity of leaves, say; it's another to have it look like an entirely different bush.

• Advertisement

There is no fundamental reason foliage couldn't be functionally similar across quality settings, even if they're aesthetically different. It's one thing to reduce the complexity and quantity of leaves, say; it's another to have it look like an entirely different bush.

In general though, that's not how grass and foliage are implemented. Usually it's done with a couple, or a group of planes to represent a 'clump' rather than having actual geometry for stems and leaves. The rest of the effect is usually achieved with shaders and textures and a bit of clever manipulation of the vertices to get wind effects and so forth.

Because of the amount of quads you need to do lush grasses and foliage, people usually spend a good bit of time making it as efficient as possible. So generally, when you want to switch to lower settings, there's not much you can do to gain performance apart from reducing the actual amount of grass.

You can lower texture resolution and use a simpler shader, but that will only get you so far because neither of these are usually a bottleneck when it comes to foliage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Best course of action I found was not to play it like it is H1Z1 KoTK. It has a pace to it that will take a couple of days of games to understand. I find that dropping and immediately getting a vehicle then going to a spot that is not likely to have players in will keep you alive longer and get you to at least top 15 most of the time. When you get looted get back in a dacia if possible (fastest car) to the edge of the white circle and hunt for unsuspecting players on foot if they are out in the open get to a tree or rock and pick them off. When the white circle starts moving and the blue is moving try to find players on the edge of it for the first 3-4 times when its getting smaller, they will usually be on foot panic running to make it to the white circle (guilty of it). when the circle gets small enough to go on foot ditch the car and prowl the edges for players looking forward into the centre. Watch your back but if you are the last man at the edge you don't really need to. The blue towards end game can take your HP down quick. When looting bodies provided you have your load out get First aid/meds pain killers or boosts anything else is pointless unless you really need ammo (100-120 rounds of AR is plenty). If you do kill someone in the open its not worth the risk looting as the shots have drawn attention. 20 bandages is plenty and painkiller/boost first then heal if you can.

If you drop in with players and there is no vehicle the best weapon you can pick up is a double barrel shotgun (S686) Choke (spread) and Bullet Loops (fast reload) make it unstoppable (unless your playing squads and get sh1t hit reg). The range on shot guns is not like most games it's actually closer to the real life range of shotguns 30-40m. uzi on auto fire (B switches fire mode on guns) can decimate up close but it is useless at any sort of range. UMP with a silencer is good at medium/short range crap at long range. Squads Solo and Duo's all have different play strategies. The M16A4 with a red dot or holographic sight is the best gun imo keep a 4x too if you find one single fire mode at range burst firing is lethal close range.

As for your FPS. Iv'e seen players with 1080 Ti's getting feck all fps. The game is in its infancy so you're better off playing with everything on very low except textures and view distance. I believe player render is a separate thing so view distance won't effect that its only for buildings/trees etc. There is a fps guide on steam that is working wonders for people but again you're not going to be able to play with all settings on ultra high or medium. There is supposed to be an optimisation patch in the next week or so.

Iv'e a 750 Ti and can get 45-65 fps but I tend to avoid cities, too much loot not enough time. Better looting on outskirts imo.

It takes 12 seconds to sprint across 1 square on the mini map 10 squares to a km = 2 minutes to travel across 1 yellow square/1 km.

It takes 12 seconds to sprint across 1 square on the mini map 10 squares to a km = 2 minutes to travel across 1 yellow square/1 km.

That pace would have won you a gold medal in the women's 200m at the 1948 Summer Olympics, and a silver in 1952.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

What is the red zone?

jonski wrote: »
    His twitter a/c says location:Ireland

He's from Kildare.

What is the red zone?

Bombs randomly go off. It can kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Everyone should be forced to have them on.

Removes a ton of stealth and tactical aspect to the game.

I've found I am far more likely to get killed by another player when I flee the red zone than I am to just bunker down and hope I don't get blown up.

What does this mean?
    3. FOV Change
    When attempting to complete Step 3, one needs to make Engine.ini writeable again. So untick Read-Only and apply then make it readonly.
    Open Engine.ini
    add this

[/script/engine.localplayer]
    AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV

Note: YOU CANT CHANGE THE FOV LIKE 80, 90, 100

I want a wider FOV, is that what this does?

I've found I am far more likely to get killed by another player when I flee the red zone than I am to just bunker down and hope I don't get blown up.

If you are inside a building in the red zone you are safe either way.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Everyone should be forced to have them on.

Removes a ton of stealth and tactical aspect to the game.

I don't disagree in principle, but in practice if it has the potential to drive players away at the lower end of the performance curve, then a developer is not going to want to do that.

It's actually been in my head to try making a multiplayer shooter that is mechanically solid, but graphically undemanding and then give players no options to fiddle with, bar resolution and FOV. I'm not sure if there's a market for it in reality though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

just won my first game, when it gets down to 4 or so people in a tiny circle stuff gets pretty intense :D

I have a bug where WASD will randomly rotate 90 degrees. As in A and D become backwards and forwards :D

What does this mean?
    3. FOV Change
    When attempting to complete Step 3, one needs to make Engine.ini writeable again. So untick Read-Only and apply then make it readonly.
    Open Engine.ini
    add this

AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV

Note: YOU CANT CHANGE THE FOV LIKE 80, 90, 100

I want a wider FOV, is that what this does?

It is horizontal FOV

have mine on:

AspectRatioAxisConstraint=67

70 looks too far 80 90 is miles

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    If you are inside a building in the red zone you are safe either way.

You can still be killed in some buildings. It can blow the doors off hinges too. Have heard some roofs do not protect you but most I've been in did.

• Zillah wrote: »
    I have a bug where WASD will randomly rotate 90 degrees. As in A and D become backwards and forwards :D

That happened to me when I alt+tab. alt+tab again to fix it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Havent played in about a week,one thing that really annoyed me was right click only gave me a crosshair with a 3rd person view, I had to double right click to ironsight which was so annoying, not sure if its a n option somewhere but can this be changed?

@Jonski, yeah hes from Kildare, Ballysax in the Curragh to be exact, grew up only a few k from me, wouldn't give me a beta code on twitter though :P

Dcully wrote: »
    Havent played in about a week,one thing that really annoyed me was right click only gave me a crosshair with a 3rd person view, I had to double right click to ironsight which was so annoying, not sure if its a n option somewhere but can this be changed?

@Jonski, yeah hes from Kildare, Ballysax in the Curragh to be exact, grew up only a few k from me, wouldn't give me a beta code on twitter though :P

That's weird. When I right click it goes straight to the sights. I have to hold down the right click to aim with the crosshairs.

That happened to me when I alt+tab. alt+tab again to fix it.

Alt tab all the time haven't come across it FullscreenWindowed. Tried setting the config to read only?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hmm I thought it was odd alright,i didn't change anything.

A friend of mine bought it last week and cant play because the game wont let him loot or pick up anything, hes tried it multiple times on many different servers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Just had my first win after 9 hours of playing the game, haven't felt my heartbeat in my chest like that since playing the DayZ mod on arma 2 years ago.

Advertisement