Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Playerunknown's : Battlegrounds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I tried those steam settings, and while they definitely improved performance, they made everything such a blurry mess I honestly wasn't sure if what was in the field with me was an enemy, a post, or a bush.

EDIT:

Also I'm starting to get really suspicious that there is a lot of hacking going on in this game. I just had someone slowly come around a corner, aiming right at me down a dead end in a house while I was sorting inventory. They had no way of knowing I was in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 CofMixture

The boards crew got a well deserved second in a squad game last night after some fantastic play by yours truly

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sound patch is live apparently, I presume this relates to being better able to hear footsteps/doors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sound patch is live apparently, I presume this relates to being better able to hear footsteps/doors?

Yeah it's working a treat aswell. Managed to get a kill earlier when lying prone on a cliff face in front of a tree, heard footsteps through the grass behind me and turned around to see him just in time. He was a good bit away from me aswell so it makes me more nervous about sprinting through trees in future or going through buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Just got this, 1st round accidentally went into duos and got matched with a lovely Donegal lad. Murdered as we left the first set of buildings.

This is great ! :D

EDIT: 4th in my 1st Intentional Duo Match. Not bad..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Yeah it's working a treat aswell. Managed to get a kill earlier when lying prone on a cliff face in front of a tree, heard footsteps through the grass behind me and turned around to see him just in time. He was a good bit away from me aswell so it makes me more nervous about sprinting through trees in future or going through buildings

Footsteps should not sound that loud. Had one game there and got killed by some low life camping in a building. The foot steps can be heard over lobby gunshots! You sound like a horse walking around. Walking over carpet sounds like you're wearing crisp packets for shoe's.

Footsteps should not sound that loud. Had one game there and got killed by some low life camping in a building. The foot steps can be heard over lobby gunshots! You sound like a horse walking around. Walking over carpet sounds like you're wearing crisp packets for shoe's.

There was a patch released a few days ago that changed the footsteps i think. I'd imagine they're working on tweaking it. There's currently an issue with pinpointing the elevation of where people are walking too, noticed its impossible to tell if theyre on the same floor as you or not. Hope they can sort it soon its a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

The sound is way off, needs serious work.

Seems with the latest patch, all they done was just increase the volume of everything, you can hear people running around in buildings two buildings over. No more sneaking up on people anymore, people running on grass make alot of noise too which just doesnt make sense :rolleyes:

There is a walk function that nobody ever uses. Maybe the devs want people to use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

There is a walk function that nobody ever uses. Maybe the devs want people to use that.

you still make noise, just slower.

• Advertisement

Walking?... Target practice!

Simple fix would be filters to the sound above different filter for sound outside!

They would be needing to do balance patch to fix the footsteps again. Update 1 footsteps were perfect volume just should have added floor board creaks the odd shuffle sound burst for indoors for outdoors twigs or sticks snapping and fence noise.

They seem to be overdoing things based on feedback from 10 year old COD players.

I tend to always crouch walk so maybe I didn't notice it initially but I do now.

Running through a town a few days ago was simple and safe enough if you went about it the right way. Now though, I barely make it to the centre without 2 or 3 campers in top floor attic windows taking shots at me for sport.

I honestly didn't think something so simple like changing the sound could completely turn this game into a camp fest and I'm hating it. It's frustrating going into every second house only to find a camper sitting at the top of the stairs with a shotgun. This seems to be the new way for people to loot the high quality stuff. Let half the population fight and run around for the good guns and med kits and then just sit still in a house while you hear them coming from 3 houses over.

Managed to get down to top 20 and I was in the middle of the new circle. I ran into a house and got killed by a guy who had no helmet, only had a shotgun and a pistol and didnt have a vest. Clearly camped in the building from the start and got rewarded with my KAR and Scar.

They need to roll back the patch again, it's worse than before. At least before you could try and be stealthy.

I tend to always crouch walk so maybe I didn't notice it initially but I do now.

Running through a town a few days ago was simple and safe enough if you went about it the right way. Now though, I barely make it to the centre without 2 or 3 campers in top floor attic windows taking shots at me for sport.

I honestly didn't think something so simple like changing the sound could completely turn this game into a camp fest and I'm hating it. It's frustrating going into every second house only to find a camper sitting at the top of the stairs with a shotgun. This seems to be the new way for people to loot the high quality stuff. Let half the population fight and run around for the good guns and med kits and then just sit still in a house while you hear them coming from 3 houses over.

Managed to get down to top 20 and I was in the middle of the new circle. I ran into a house and got killed by a guy who had no helmet, only had a shotgun and a pistol and didnt have a vest. Clearly camped in the building from the start and got rewarded with my KAR and Scar.

They need to roll back the patch again, it's worse than before. At least before you could try and be stealthy.

Its popular opinion that's going to ruin this game the dev's are great and so transparent with stuff people are going to start taking the piss. They will need to at some point take the feedback on board with a pinch of salt and do what they feel is best not what the community wants them to do at the same time not overdoing something that will drastically change gameplay which loud ass foot stomps do. I am all for the community having its say on the development but balance is key to compromise.

It will be shot guns people will be moaning about next. Which are the absolute only thing that makes playing for me satisfying. But in saying that if the footsteps stay the way they are I would be all for them being nerfed because the volume of the footsteps promotes camping big time.

I can't remember if I said this here or not but footsteps sounds from update 1 were perfect. All that was needed to balance out hearing other players was some more Foley sounds triggered by footsteps e.g. creaking floorboards the odd shuffle sound when turning indoors reload sound other players might hear that are in proximity of it being audible. Outdoor sounds of breaking twigs or sticks and the odd gravel sound a metal fence sound. All these things don't take away from the intensity of play and would actually add to it. How alert would you be hearing all that within close proximity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Just died twice in a row because I forgot to set my weapon to auto after I picked it up :/

Ran into people aimed, fired first, got one bullet off and then stood there staring at them while I died.

Also just died because it turns out the shotgun I had was pump action. Rate of fire was horrendous. Hit him with both at close range, still killed me before I got the third shot off. I really need to learn the differences between the shotguns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Lot of friendly fire in the Boards team tonight.

Its popular opinion that's going to ruin this game the dev's are great and so transparent with stuff people are going to start taking the piss. They will need to at some point take the feedback on board with a pinch of salt and do what they feel is best not what the community wants them to do at the same time not overdoing something that will drastically change gameplay which loud ass foot stomps do. I am all for the community having its say on the development but balance is key to compromise.

It will be shot guns people will be moaning about next. Which are the absolute only thing that makes playing for me satisfying. But in saying that if the footsteps stay the way they are I would be all for them being nerfed because the volume of the footsteps promotes camping big time.

I can't remember if I said this here or not but footsteps sounds from update 1 were perfect. All that was needed to balance out hearing other players was some more Foley sounds triggered by footsteps e.g. creaking floorboards the odd shuffle sound when turning indoors reload sound other players might hear that are in proximity of it being audible. Outdoor sounds of breaking twigs or sticks and the odd gravel sound a metal fence sound. All these things don't take away from the intensity of play and would actually add to it. How alert would you be hearing all that within close proximity.

Patch one really was solid. All it needed was a slight increase in radius so that you could hear someone outside of a building first before they opened the door. I also liked the fact that doors were the main sound giveaway to someone in the house. Hearing someone crouch walk from the other side of a street is a little over the top though.

Zillah wrote: »
    Just died twice in a row because I forgot to set my weapon to auto after I picked it up :/

Ran into people aimed, fired first, got one bullet off and then stood there staring at them while I died.

Also just died because it turns out the shotgun I had was pump action. Rate of fire was horrendous. Hit him with both at close range, still killed me before I got the third shot off. I really need to learn the differences between the shotguns.

Happened to me a few times aswell. I still occasionally fire an entire clip and stand still for a full second before I realise I have to reload manually :o

Lot of friendly fire in the Boards team tonight.

Is there a discord or group anything for the boards crew? Wouldn't mind adding to the friendly fire ;)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Korvanica wrote: »
    Is there a discord or group anything for the boards crew? Wouldn't mind adding to the friendly fire ;)

partyjungle made one last week: https://discord.gg/Q6VsS8M

Everytime Cofmixture killed someone on the team he managed to get into the top 5 :eek:

By jayzus the update broke my hair cut

How did he manage to kill someone on the team? Is he really that eager on the trigger? Hahaha good to know just in case.

• Advertisement

partyjungle made one last week: https://discord.gg/Q6VsS8M

Everytime Cofmixture killed someone on the team he managed to get into the top 5 :eek:

I've gone mad with power

How did he manage to kill someone on the team? Is he really that eager on the trigger? Hahaha good to know just in case.

Almost killed partyjungle last week sometime myself. Reactions from solo lol. Sorry.

Almost killed partyjungle last week sometime myself. Reactions from solo lol. Sorry.

Same, I think I might have screamed when I did it too.

Game seems a bit unstable after yesterday's patch. Barely made it through a match last night without someone's game crashing or bugging out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Patch one really was solid. All it needed was a slight increase in radius so that you could hear someone outside of a building first before they opened the door. I also liked the fact that doors were the main sound giveaway to someone in the house. :o

Happy to hear this. I've not been on for over a week cause I kept dying to people bursting through these magic doors that made no sound - making me think I was safe. Gonna be getting back in over the weekend.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The footstep sounds are stupid. I can hear someone walking slowly on grass from like 100 yards away.

Game seems a bit unstable after yesterday's patch. Barely made it through a match last night without someone's game crashing or bugging out.

Was getting terrible lag spikes yesterday alright. The whole game was hanging for a split second happened when in the settings menu a couple of times.

Footsteps are really stupidly loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Zillah wrote: »
    Also I'm starting to get really suspicious that there is a lot of hacking going on in this game. I just had someone slowly come around a corner, aiming right at me down a dead end in a house while I was sorting inventory. They had no way of knowing I was in there.

Cheating in an online pc game sounds pretty far fetched to me.

Cheating in an online pc game sounds pretty far fetched to me.

To be fair they have the greatest system to prevent hacking, and I'm not talking about BattleEye. Their daily and weekly updates and chopping and changing of the core code every couple of days would be nearly impossible to hack or at the very least make any attempt to make a hack completely useless in a very short time frame.

I remember I use to play a free to play game called crossfire when it was first out and the developers used small daily patches of 10 or 20mb to keep hackers pissed off. Then they became monthly updates and the game flooded with aimbots and wallhacks almost straight away.

The fact that the game will take at least 6 months to release or stabilise fully will ironically be it's best protection from hackers.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Finally managed to win a round tonight, our entire squad survived until the final 8 people I think.

IMO a massive part of winning this game is down to just pure luck of the circle's location at the end. If you can find a spot that stays in the circle you are sorted, if you have to move that is when you are screwed.

Advertisement