Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,769 ✭✭✭✭unkel

BoatMad wrote: »
    There's no way a 60 kWh battery could be supplied within the existing price point and that's the key issue for Nissan

This is it. Although how does Tesla do it with the 60kWh Model 3 that's also powerful and quick for $35k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

unkel wrote: »
    This is it. Although how does Tesla do it with the 60kWh Model 3 that's also powerful and quick for $35k?

Will it end up being $35K in Ireland? Otherwise, Musk always maintained this was the reason for them going to the trouble of the Gigafactory near Reno - scalability - resulting in a lower price point per kWh.

No, but likely to be about €39k (see the Tesla Model 3 thread), which in fairness is very cheap for what you get. But as BoatMad rightly pointed out, it's not in the same price range of €20k-€25k that Ioniq, Leaf and Zoe are. Pressure though on the likes of them to keep their prices down. Even a 40kWh Leaf should be well, well south of €30k...

Current Nissan pricing already doesn't make sense as the cheapest 30kWh Leaf with metallic paint and 6.6kW charger lists at €31k. Perhaps you'd get it for €25k cash, I don't know. If not, it's overpriced never even mind it's a very old model now and about to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

we have yet to see that and the point is Tesla sells very few cars with base model specs ( and the same is true of the Model 3)

I also don't think I'd bother with their automation if you need to keep your hand on the wheel, I want something to take the sting out of driving home after night shifts.

its called a taxi

seriusly , the primary reason that you have to remain in control is the issue of liability in the event of an accident. It will take a considerable time and body of practical evidence , before the legislative and liability issues are resolved , so you can doze at the wheel !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Some new images of the leaf at Autoexpress including a new artist rendering. The insideevs claims that the car will be available with 60 kWh battery at release. The front looks just like the new Micra and rest of the car like the current leaf with a facelift. But I have to say that it seems like a decent upgrade. Competition is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Looks like an older civic

Honda~Civic~(6).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

2018-nissan-leaf-spy-photo.jpg

2018-nissan-leaf-spy-photo.jpg

That doesn't look very aerodynamic to me. And I doubt very much it will have a 60kWh battery, as the article seems to suggest. If it does, its price simply can't be competitive at the bottom end of the EV market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

That doesn't look very aerodynamic to me.

Ah... 'twil be better with the trash bags off :pac:

• Advertisement

We'll have to see.

If not, it can put those trash bags back on and go straight into the bin :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

We'll have to see.

If not, it can put those trash bags back on and go straight into the bin :pac:

Skip the bin and go straight to ringsend incinerator.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Looks like ****e. Nissan pull the finger out there's money to be made.

No chance of seeing 60kwh on that regardless of which article you read. You can bookmark this post

listermint wrote: »
    Looks like ****e. Nissan pull the finger out there's money to be made.

No chance of seeing 60kwh on that regardless of which article you read. You can bookmark this post

In fairness to Nissan, they have publically stated that if they wanted bigger batteries and much bigger range then it can be done no problem. The problem is keeping the car to a price point that makes it affordable.

kceire wrote: »
    In fairness to Nissan, they have publically stated that if they wanted bigger batteries and much bigger range then it can be done no problem. The problem is keeping the car to a price point that makes it affordable.

Correct. The product manager was adament that it was s nominal capacity of 40kwh

What will be interesting is to see if Hyundai responds with bigger battery options in the same time scale

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

kceire wrote: »

Never said it couldn't be done. Said it won't be done.

listermint wrote: »
    Never said it couldn't be done. Said it won't be done.

Agree, and rightly so.
    It would drive Nissan away from the people that can afford to buy that level of EV.

The installed capacity all depends who they want to compete against: The alsorans or Bolt/M3. I suspect that the Leaf will come with two battery capacities 40/60 kWh which could be build in 2S/3S config using uniform battery modules. In RHD UK/Ireland market there is no immediate long range competition so maybe only 40 kWh will initially be launched until M3 will become available sometime in 2018.

In the other markets not having a model with approx. 300-400 km of EPA range available will mean that the car is behind the competition even before it's released. This combined with Nissan having talked about 60 kWh since 2015 I would be really surprised if was not announced at launch.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I expect Hyundai to release a 48kWh by the end of 2018.
    They've already announced plans for a 200 mile version of the Ioniq for 2018.

Current car has 124 Miles EPA, so at least a 45kWh battery would be needed if all stays the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Maybe some doodlers fantasy, but the new Micra shows Nissan might have found some mojo. We shall see.

2018-Nissan-Leaf-Carscoops.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thats no Micra. Too big.
    It actually does look like the car in post 39 with the plastic bags off. Probably a doodler who is interpreting the mule pictures.

If that were Leaf II I'd be happy with the look of that and it looks sleek enough from an aerodynamic perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

That is a rendering of the new Leaf, this is the new Micra.

09203_4-av_nissan_micra.jpg?itok=oY_R-EU6

So why are they making the new Leaf look like a big fat new Micra? Old Leaf as a big fat old Micra was bad enough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

So why are they making the new Leaf look like a big fat new Micra? Old Leaf as a big fat old Micra was bad enough :(

Isnt that how most of the manufacturers do it. They have a general design look/feel that runs through their range.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I like that render. Very nice actually

KCross wrote: »
    Isnt that how most of the manufacturers do it. They have a general design look/feel that runs through their range.

They shouldn't when the range is based on the fecking Micra :p

Works for Audi alright, they all look the same. In an alright, non-offensive, conservative kind of way.

There's no way that above Micra or Leaf have a coefficient of drag of under 0.26 - that was the most important need for the Leaf 2 here...

For many sufficient headroom and space for a 60 kWh battery will outweigh the aero penalty. I was actually very surprised how claustrophobic Tesla Model S felt to a 6ft person. The ceiling is very low.

Not so sure about how relevant it is for many. I don't think I've ever seen a 6ft person in the back of a Leaf. Most owners would be families with children below 6 foot :D

But true enough point, in that a 6 footer in the back of sleek aerodynamic cars like a Tesla Model S, Model 3 or a Hyundai Ioniq wouldn't have much head room.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Not so sure about how relevant it is for many. I don't think I've ever seen a 6ft person in the back of a Leaf. Most owners would be families with children below 6 foot :D

But true enough point, in that a 6 footer in the back of sleek aerodynamic cars like a Tesla Model S, Model 3 or a Hyundai Ioniq wouldn't have much head room.

There is enough room for 6'4" handsome on a back seat in an aerodynamically correct Prius...

• Advertisement

Prius (still!!!) not an EV. But the 0.26 for the Prius is not bad. Not good either though compared to the massive 7 seater that is the Model X (0.24)...

Advertisement