Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 Leaf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If that's the first finished car i take my hat off to Nissan. They've listened they've made it look both normal and very well in one swoop.

Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Alu

unkel wrote: »
    Prius (still!!!) not an EV. But the 0.26 for the Prius is not bad. Not good either though compared to the massive 7 seater that is the Model X (0.24)...

That sounds amazing for something the size of a Model X. The new Prius is 0.24 too but like the Ioniq needs a steep sloping roof (and quirky design in the case of the Prius) to achieve that.

As examples of nice designs which don’t shout about their aero efficiency - the current Audi A4 is just 0.23, and the Mazda 3 is 0.26. It’s clearly achievable and doesn’t make sense for Nissan not to take advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Drag coefficient doesn't tell the full story. A car with a large frontal area can also have a good drag coefficient but not be fuel efficient. Similarly, a small car with slightly high cd value can still be less wind resistant than a tall vehicle with on paper has a better cd. But yeah, the current Leaf is both tall and has a bad drag coefficient.

And yes, due the tall design the current leaf feels unbelievably airy inside compared to e.g. Model S. I was earlier referring the feel when on drivers seat: I felt quite trapped there. I can't remember experiencing that with any non sports car before, let alone a large "sedan". It was very unexpected as I can't remember that being mentioned. In leaf there is almost ridiculous headroom in comparison. The rear seat should/could actually be raised in the current model to make the knee angle better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

unkel wrote: »
    Not so sure about how relevant it is for many. I don't think I've ever seen a 6ft person in the back of a Leaf. Most owners would be families with children below 6 foot :D

But true enough point, in that a 6 footer in the back of sleek aerodynamic cars like a Tesla Model S, Model 3 or a Hyundai Ioniq wouldn't have much head room.

6foot 3. No issues in back of leaf leaf is a very spacious

My partners Dad is 6 foot 5 and compliments the room in the Leaf.

• Advertisement

Nissan Ireland confirmed today at Seai show that irish 2018 leafs will be chademo

Interesting. Good for chademo and good for the current Irish charger network. That means the the car will have to go on sale before the beginning of Jan 2018 seen as CCS will be mandatory from then. Unless there will be both onboard...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

samih wrote: »
    Interesting. Good for chademo and good for the current Irish charger network. That means the the car will have to go on sale before the beginning of Jan 2018 seen as CCS will be mandatory from then. Unless there will be both onboard...

If you see the mule images, the charging flap looks a bit wider than it is now so could well happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's a strange decision they seem to be going with both CCS and CHAdeMO here in Ireland? Will they also have type 1 and type 2? Might as well stick in a UK plug in the car somewhere too, saves them from having to supply a granny cable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

CCS is already mandatory for any chargers that aren't 100% privately funded.
    CCS is expected to be mandatory on the car side from next year, and it's been well signalled by the EU.

If they are going chademo that's very shortsighted.

• Advertisement

In theory it is good if there is a mix of CCS/chademo as some of the charging stations can supply both types (at shared max rate though) simultaneously. Per minute charging for charging may throw a spanner in the works though.

In theory it is good if there is a mix of CCS/chademo as some of the charging stations can supply both types (at shared max rate though) simultaneously. Per minute charging for charging may throw a spanner in the works though.

True, but none of ESBs can do CCS and Chademo at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Can they?

I thought you could only charge one DC and one AC simultaneously.
    I didnt think it was ever possible to run two DC charge sessions together.

You are sure two DC sessions can run together?

I said "some" but as far as I know none are installed in Ireland at the moment. The future Efacec 350 kW models were mentioned. What it really means is that if there are sufficient number of both cars around this may become very useful in the future.

Well I'd expect very few Leafs to be write offs, so almost all of them ever sold or imported here will be still running in 5-10 years time (minus the occasional crashed one or dead one), so we will need CHAdeMO public charging for a long time to come.

Nissan said CCS will not.be mandatory in cars in 2018

Nissan says no. :p

BoatMad wrote: »
    Nissan said CCS will not.be mandatory in cars in 2018

There is a new alternative fueled vehicles directive (in addition to the 2014 linked below) and a number of key reviews due next year.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32014L0094

Germany and Slovakia have indicated they may mandate CCS from 2018. Several other governments have indicated that a single rapid charging standard on the car side is something they think is required.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cros13 wrote: »
    There is a new alternative fueled vehicles directive (in addition to the 2014 linked below) and a number of key reviews due next year.

Germany and Slovakia have indicated they may mandate CCS from 2018. Several other governments have indicated that a single rapid charging standard on the car side is something they think is required.

They said the same about mobile phones many years ago. Most went with the mini/micro USB but it didn't really take off. Damn Apple!

kceire wrote: »
    They said the same about mobile phones many years ago. Most went with the mini/micro USB but it didn't really take off. Damn Apple!

Actually, the mad thing about that was only the actual charger was to be standardised not the charge lead, this is why most chargers (the actual thing that plugs into the wall) are USB because you can use different leads.

• Advertisement

cros13 wrote: »

there is a 24 month lead-in after adoption for technical measures

Given the usual delays in the EU , we could be looking at 2021 before a mandatory connector is in place

Actually, the mad thing about that was only the actual charger was to be standardised not the charge lead, this is why most chargers (the actual thing that plugs into the wall) are USB because you can use different leads.

And the worst thing about this is that Apple for instance won't allow you charge at the full 2.1 amps on anything but an Ipad or Apple approved after market charger.

For instance, if I use my old 2.1 amp S5 charger with my Iphone 6S Plus it will not fast charge but if I use the Ipad charger it will fast charge.

The slower charging is fine over night and the battery lasts so long that I'd really get 2 days out of the 6s Plus anyway so fast charging isn't necessary.

And the worst thing about this is that Apple for instance won't allow you charge at the full 2.1 amps on anything but an Ipad or Apple approved after market charger.

For instance, if I use my old 2.1 amp S5 charger with my Iphone 6S Plus it will not fast charge but if I use the Ipad charger it will fast charge.

The slower charging is fine over night and the battery lasts so long that I'd really get 2 days out of the 6s Plus anyway so fast charging isn't necessary.

Apple chargers advertise available charge rates by using resistors across USB data lines. Many third party chargers do not do this correctly or dont do it at all

BoatMad wrote: »
    there is a 24 month lead-in after adoption for technical measures

Given the usual delays in the EU , we could be looking at 2021 before a mandatory connector is in place

Did a quick google there and in fairness, I can't see anything in place yet to only allow CCS from 2018. A lot of talk going back to 2013/2014, but nothing concrete.

Yes but the official Apple cable still doesn't enable fast charging the 6S Plus from a Samsung charger.

Yes but the official Apple cable still doesn't enable fast charging the 6S Plus from a Samsung charger.

The current setting resistors are placed in the USB socket on the charger as the cable cant know what the capability of a given charger

in the absence of the current setting resistors the phone defaults to standard charging ( i.e. USB limits )

I did a test, S5 + Samsung charger, charger warm, charges phone fast.

Samsung Charger + Iphone , charger cool Iphone charges slowly.

Ipad Charger, charger warm Iphone charges fast.

Iphone charger, warm but charges slowly, it's only 1 amp or something like that but fine for over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I did a test, S5 + Samsung charger, charger warm, charges phone fast.

Samsung Charger + Iphone , charger cool Iphone charges slowly.

Ipad Charger, charger warm Iphone charges fast.

Iphone charger, warm but charges slowly, it's only 1 amp or something like that but fine for over night.

One plus three, charges faster than anything you have noted there, and it charges cool. Such is the operation of properly designed fast charging

listermint wrote: »
    One plus three, charges faster than anything you have noted there, and it charges cool. Such is the operation of properly designed fast charging

You've lost me there. Perhaps because it's 06:40 and I've been working nearly 72 hrs ......... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Mad_Lad wrote:
    You've lost me there. Perhaps because it's 06:40 and I've been working nearly 72 hrs .........

Careful, Mad Lad, if you keep going like that you may not enjoy family and EV for long...

Advertisement