Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

The Sky commentary is shockingly boring. Ewan is a sycophant who never has anything interesting to say. Throw Bjorn into the mix and they manage to turn the best golf tournament in the world into a massive yawn. It is time to change the line up of Sky commentators or they will put people off watching forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bring on Monty and Paddy

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

As expected Bjorn offered absolutely nothing. He wasn't in the commentary box ten seconds and he was talking about a Ryder Cup that's 18 months away.

Radar didn't seem to be on at all unless I missed him? He's one of the most entertaining parts of Sky's coverage for me.

Also disappointed that Harrington wasn't involved. Hopefully we see him over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Hate to go against the zeitgeist, but I though Bjorn was ok. Some good one-liners including telling Shane Lowry to pick up his tee, his drive was good and explaining the difficulty of Rory's shot on the 11th and his absolute astonishment that Rory pulled it off.

It's great to hear pros give their insight into difficult shots and the best places to aim for. Bjorn isn't particularly talkative, but I thought a good bit of what he said was interesting.

Hate to go against the zeitgeist, but I though Bjorn was ok. Some good one-liners including telling Shane Lowry to pick up his tee, his drive was good and explaining the difficulty of Rory's shot on the 11th and his absolute astonishment that Rory pulled it off.

It's great to hear pros give their insight into difficult shots and the best places to aim for. Bjorn isn't particularly talkative, but I thought a good bit of what he said was interesting.

Yeah, I'd agree to an extent, it's the tone of his voice which leads people to think he's boring and dull.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Tyson Fury wrote:
    Yeah, I'd agree to an extent, it's the tone of his voice which leads people to think he's boring and dull.

It's monotone. If Radar was saying the same thing it'd be entertaining.
    Doesn't seem to have much time for Lowry which could be telling. He might as well move in with Westwood.

It's monotone. If Radar was saying the same thing it'd be entertaining.
    Doesn't seem to have much time for Lowry which could be telling. He might as well move in with Westwood.
    My impression was that he had a lot of time for Lowry. Kept praising his ball striking and his swing.

My impression was that he had a lot of time for Lowry. Kept praising his ball striking and his swing.

Really? Only really had one eye on it but the bits I did catch were what I thought.
    Brilliant Shane hopefully won't have to rely on a pick!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Bjorn bigging up the Ryder Cup already. Bad enough listening to Mcginley but not this ****head too.
    Rant is fine but no need for the bit at the end. Thanks

Really? Only really had one eye on it but the bits I did catch were what I thought.
    Brilliant Shane hopefully won't have to rely on a pick!!!
    Hopefully not. That was a good start to his Masters yesterday, even though it probably didn't finish the way he might have hoped. But I definitely got the impression that Bjorn had a lot of time for him. Said something about him being a nice guy or something similar as well.

But Shane really should be looking to get there on merit and he's well capable of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I was watching it last night using the red button, flicking between coverage / each group / amen corner. No adds that way thankfully!!

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I was watching it last night using the red button, flicking between coverage / each group / amen corner. No adds that way thankfully!!

No red button on Skygo which is really annoying

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,711 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

In fairness I'll put my hands up.

Bjorn was very good - and he has had a way more successful career versus many of the guys you get on sky.

But , they are all just passing time - when is Paddy on , he will be the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Best way to watch golf is to sky plus it and then skip through all the ads and time spent looking at players standing over their ball.It really improves the viewing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I have to say I found Bjorn mind-numbingly boring... but I'll take him - or anyone else - ahead of Monty and his uncontrollable lips!

I know it is like The Masters for slow learners - but basically we will see none of Rory's round ?

Basically I feel robed - I've missed all the rounds I wanted to see.

But we still go to see Rory as pace so slow.

What's the story with Harrington, has he been on yet?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    What's the story with Harrington, has he been on yet?

No sign.

Was due on, changed his mind.
    Went back to make up
    Came out to studio
    Went back to change shirt
    Checked his notes
    Then he found shot centre and he is still hitting balls, talking to the machine about his inner gorilla :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Found Monty on NBC

He's found a new home

• Advertisement

Darth monty on twitter is a good parody account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Bjorn is morbid to listen to , he'd be perfect reading a sermon at a funeral

seanhynes wrote: »
    Bjorn is morbid to listen to , he'd be perfect reading a sermon at a funeral

In fairness his insights are good.

It is just that Scandinavian thing - it is just too cold and dark to be happy.

It is like Ireland, with darker winters , but no craic -. :)

And Paddy's up!

And Paddy's up!

And perfect timing for paddy - a rare thing a player who knows the rules.

And perfect timing for paddy - a rare thing a player who knows the rules.

"A streaky putter is a good thing for Majors".

Only you Padraig only you!!

Ah lads he's a breath of fresh air! That Justin/mickelson comparison was class.

Ah lads he's a breath of fresh air! That Justin/mickelson comparison was class.

is - funny and actually saying technical stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Paddy has been very good so far

• Advertisement

Jaysus paddy gone already.

We got more in 10 minutes than the previous 4 hours.

Advertisement