Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

I've been watching a lot of golf with the current lockdown.
    The guys covering the European Tour are head and shoulders above the PGA team IMO, I actually enjoy the PGA Tour Live team more as well.
    I just think there is a better chemistry between the commentators.
    I think the sort of arrogant vibe from McGinley and Coltart turns me off but to be fair I do enjoy Murray and Beem.
    Seems to me that the main broadcast focuses on "narratives" rather than golf

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

callaway92 wrote: »
    McGinley always tries to use clichés/hyperbole to sound like some sort of an intuitive guru.

Well said! Good to see I’m not the only one who isn’t a big fan of his commentating.

JIdontknow wrote: »
    Well said! Good to see I’m not the only one who isn’t a big fan of his commentating.

It's like going to a lecture with a statistics professor. Much prefer the Ewen/Beemer combination when they're on together.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Hope Beem does well on the champions tour so I won't have to listen to any more of his inane banter with Murray who laughs at everything he says.

I'd love to see Dominick Holyer on the commentary team for PGA events or in the anchor role instead of Dougherty.

Jamie Spence is also far better on course than Radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ForeRight wrote:
    Gotta laugh at sky constantly making fun of the behaviour of Hatton like it’s hilarious. An utterly disgraceful player week in week out on tour.

If it was Bryson they would be slaughtering him.
    I agree about Hatton but they don't slaughter anybody unless it's to do with slow play, look at their constant love for Reed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mac_Lad71 wrote:
    Hope Beem does well on the champions tour so I won't have to listen to any more of his inane banter with Murray who laughs at everything he says.
    I'd suspect you are among a small minority who don't love Beemer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »

I'd love to see Dominick Holyer on the commentary team for PGA events or in the anchor role instead of Dougherty.

Jamie Spence is also far better on course than Radar.

Beem is alright but like anyone if you listen to them too long they become tiresome.

I've watched so much golf over the years but then had a little hiatus away from Sky and coverage in general. Been watching again lately and Ewen Murray has been using the same tired clichés that it could be coverage from 1998. You can be watching and you can predict exactly what he's going to say, I must say it's very tired at this stage, like Bruce Critchley towards the end.

Golf commentators just tend to be on air too long at a time for such a slow moving sport. Familiarity definitely breeds contempt when it comes to commentary.

Sky on average seem to pick really terrible wooden commentators who churn out so many trite stock phrases. Tony Johnstone on the European Tour has been saying the same thing for God knows how many years now.

BBC have always been better but maybe that's just due to the relative lack of familiarity compared to the weekly Sky presentation.

I do like Radar on the course though, bit of craic, always enjoyed Ken on the course at Augusta too.

Only commentators I've consistently liked and could listen to happily for longer periods are Ken Brown, Peter Alliss, Jonny Miller and I'll be shot for this one but Butch Harmon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Beem is alright but like anyone if you listen to them too long they become tiresome.

I've watched so much golf over the years but then had a little hiatus away from Sky and coverage in general. Been watching again lately and Ewen Murray has been using the same tired clichés that it could be coverage from 1998. You can be watching and you can predict exactly what he's going to say, I must say it's very tired at this stage, like Bruce Critchley towards the end.

Golf commentators just tend to be on air too long at a time for such a slow moving sport. Familiarity definitely breeds contempt when it comes to commentary.

Sky on average seem to pick really terrible wooden commentators who churn out so many trite stock phrases. Tony Johnstone on the European Tour has been saying the same thing for God knows how many years now.

BBC have always been better but maybe that's just due to the relative lack of familiarity compared to the weekly Sky presentation.

I do like Radar on the course though, bit of craic, always enjoyed Ken on the course at Augusta too.

Only commentators I've consistently liked and could listen to happily for longer periods are Ken Brown, Peter Alliss, Jonny Miller and I'll be shot for this one but Butch Harmon as well.

Could never stand Miller. People say he called things as they were but, more often than not, he was just really rude. Pig ignorant as well, especially when it came to players that weren't American. I'l never forget his comments on Craig Parry as he was on his way to winning a tournament in Florida: "Parry has a swing that would make Ben Hogan puke".

Could never stand Miller. People say he called things as they were but, more often than not, he was just really rude. Pig ignorant as well, especially when it came to players that weren't American. I'l never forget his comments on Craig Parry as he was on his way to winning a tournament in Florida: "Parry has a swing that would make Ben Hogan puke".

I'd call it gruff ;)

When it comes to commentary, give me anything over mundane!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

McGinley and Coltart covered themselves in glory earlier. Both failed to notice Robert McIntyre driving it to 3 ft on 18 in his match against Long, even though the ball ran up to the hole while DJ was over a 5ft putt in his match against Kevin Na.

They get up onto the green where Long misses a birdie putt from 20 feet and promptly concedes...and the two lads in the box are dumbstruck. No clue what's going on, cannot understand how McIntyre has won the match. Embarrassing lack of awareness, and there was the two of them in it.

McGinley has no business being in the role he's in. Rarely has a clue whats happening, tries to bluff his way through the broadcasts with frequently pointless or barely relevant statistics that nobody eve cares about and for a former tour pro (and a damn good one tbf), never seems to call a shot or a putt accurately.

• Advertisement

McGinley and Coltart covered themselves in glory earlier. Both failed to notice Robert McIntyre driving it to 3 ft on 18 in his match against Long, even though the ball ran up to the hole while DJ was over a 5ft putt in his match against Kevin Na.

They get up onto the green where Long misses a birdie putt from 20 feet and promptly concedes...and the two lads in the box are dumbstruck. No clue what's going on, cannot understand how McIntyre has won the match. Embarrassing lack of awareness, and there was the two of them in it.

McGinley has no business being in the role he's in. Rarely has a clue whats happening, tries to bluff his way through the broadcasts with frequently pointless or barely relevant statistics that nobody eve cares about and for a former tour pro (and a damn good one tbf), never seems to call a shot or a putt accurately.

We were talking about it on the Tour thread incredible lack of awareness, curiosity or inquisitiveness. I think though it's someone in the truck that has to notice it though and whisper it in their ear if they've missed it.

Do Sky have no one over there on the ground now because of Covid? Surely it would've been picked up otherwise, it's very embarrassing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

We were talking about it on the Tour thread incredible lack of awareness, curiosity or inquisitiveness. I think though it's someone in the truck that has to notice it though and whisper it in their ear if they've missed it.

Do Sky have no one over there on the ground now because of Covid? Surely it would've been picked up otherwise, it's very embarrassing for them.

I don’t think they even needed that. I was watching it live and saw the ball marker down and was wondering what it was as the na marker was down already and Johnson was lining a putt.
    They then showed a replay of a ball rolling onto the green and I was thinking is that a drive or what’s going on?
    Then I see macintyres opponent missing a birdie putt a few minutes later and picking up his ball as a lost hole. Match halved... didn’t take a rocket scientist to work out it was the tee shot that ended up 2ft from the hole.
    Sky lads didn’t even mention anything they hadn’t a clue. I don’t think they are watching the coverage properly at all. More like just bluffing thru the coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The two lads are far too busy pulling each other off to be watching the golf. Absolutely stealing a living. Coltart is not too bad when hes not paired with McGinley

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Exactly wrote: »
    It's like going to a lecture with a statistics professor. Much prefer the Ewen/Beemer combination when they're on together.

It is, but in this case, the Statistics Lecturer actually doesn't have a clue about stats/anaytics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

From watching the ads on Sky I definitely feel like my driver shaft isn't stiff enough

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Very harsh on McGinley lads, I enjoy his commentary I gotta say. Though he is way too obsessed with the Euro tour v US and Ryder cup.

McGinley always tries to use clichés/hyperbole to sound like some sort of an intuitive guru.

Question from Coltart there to Paul McGinley about what JP (caddied for him previously) would bring as a caddy to Victor Perez.

The answer from McGinley:

- Experience
    - Motivation

Question from Coltart there to Paul McGinley about what JP (caddied for him previously) would bring as a caddy to Victor Perez.

- Experience
    - Motivation

Yeah, was a very poor answer considering he knows him pretty well, having employed him as a caddy previously.

#insight

- Experience
    - Motivation

I noticed that alright, sure I could've probably given that answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Yeah, was a very poor answer considering he knows him pretty well, having employed him as a caddy previously.

What did you want him to say?

• Advertisement

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Very harsh on McGinley lads, I enjoy his commentary I gotta say. Though he is way too obsessed with the Euro tour v US and Ryder cup.

Way too obsessed with the sound of his own voice more like

First Up wrote: »

I don't know anything beyond the inane, maybe?

Heaven forbid, maybe an anectode from them working together?

Literally anything insightful to justify being paid to talk about golf.

Something that I (as somebody who has never met JP) wouldn’t have been able to say without an ounce of thought.

He’s a paid commentator. Generic/uninsightful does not justify salary.

The thing I really like about Butch commentating and why he was so refreshing when he first started was that he'd just share insights from his time working and being around the players.

He couldn't give a toss, or maybe he thought they wouldn't hear about it because it was sky, idk.

He'd say about Watney and DJ, that they had an advantage because there were no thoughts going through their heads! And all kinds of other things like that you were a little surprised that he'd share.

He never really said anything beyond the generic about Tiger though, whether he was scared or grateful, I'm not quite sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I don't know anything beyond the inane, maybe?

Heaven forbid, maybe an anectode from them working together?

Literally anything insightful to justify being paid to talk about golf.[/quote]

He was asked a question on live TV. He talked about how JP's experience was just what Perez needed at this stage of his career. He talked about how JP's drive and ambition had been good for him and how good a player JP is in his own right.

Not good enough for you obviously but I thought it was OK.

Literally anything insightful to justify being paid to talk about golf.

He was asked a question on live TV. He talked about how JP's experience was just what Perez needed at this stage of his career. He talked about how JP's drive and ambition had been good for him and how good a player JP is in his own right.

Not good enough for you obviously but I thought it was OK.

I can't tell you what is and isn't satisfactory insight for you, just like you can't for me.

"how good a player JP is in his own right"

But this bit, that's pretty much exactly what he said, how good? Plays off 9 and won the Captain's? Played on a developmental tour? Was a top amateur? Club pro?

Can you concede that 'JP is a very good player in his own right' is in no way insightful without any kind of further information?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Glad to hear Ewan Murray call out the slow play.

I miss Butch too, he used to make me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I find Dougherty and Coltart have some touch of arrogant bitterness to them. McGinley I just don't like, but he's not as bad as the other two. Those three I could do without, but its not THAT bad. Cant like everyone.

Murray is the best. Beemer and Riley are ok too.

Overall I prefer the European Tour commentary.

Edit: Is that Rory's old caddie with Victor Perez?

Interesting that neither Mcginley nor Murray had ever heard of the rule involving order of play when Scheffler was in the hazard. Shows how obscure it must be.

Is that Rory's old caddie with Victor Perez?
    It is

• Advertisement

Edit: Is that Rory's old caddie with Victor Perez?

Yep, thats JP.

Advertisement