Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,713 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

was mentioned earlier.

The sound on Sky this week is from the dark ages,

This is like watching / listening to sport in 1960

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Butch on Pieters chip on 18 "he must've practiced that because there's no way he'd have known to hit it 25 feet left of the hole"

Pretty sure that everyone who watches the masters annually knows that's how you get it close from there.

Do pros actually pay this guy big bucks?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

idle wrote: »
    Butch on Pieters chip on 18 "he must've practiced that because there's no way he'd have known to hit it 25 feet left of the hole"

Pretty sure that everyone who watches the masters annually knows that's how you get it close from there.

Do pros actually pay this guy big bucks?!

Tiger used to anyways haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Harrington is great to listen to, interesting to hear him talk about his rivalry with Sergio.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

NDWC wrote:
    Harrington is great to listen to, interesting to hear him talk about his rivalry with Sergio.

He was very discreet about it.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    He was very discreet about it.

Ya I'd say he was holding back, no love lost there I reckon.

Those #AskButch segments are great, he's the best thing about the Sky coverage for me

NDWC wrote:
    Those #AskButch segments are great, he's the best thing about the Sky coverage for me

I have yet to hear Butch say anything remotely interesting or insightful. "Attaboy Rory" is about as good as he gets.

Harrington on the other hand is a delight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

McGinley is FAR superior to Harrington, the words flow much more easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

McGinley really loves using the word Camber.

• Advertisement

McGinley is FAR superior to Harrington, the words flow much more easily.

I'm more interested in content than delivery. McGinley is certainly more polished and more adept ar the Sky style of golf coverage. But Harrington gives insights and a level of technical detail unlike anyone else they use. And he doesn't mince his words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Patww79 wrote: »
    Have Off the Ball some sort of stake in Harrington being on Sky this week? Their Twitter account is basically a fanclub.

They were in his house last week and he's been on the show numerous times, they're certainly big fans.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Patww79 wrote: »
    I had listened to the one in his house and, while he does seem like a very likeable man, the account reads like it's written by a 14 year old girl about some popstar.

Pretty savage house in fairness, I'd be the same.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ken Browne is some putter!

Have to say Andrew Cotter is an excellent commentator - He;s always on the money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Not commentary related but the coverage of the players has been terrible

sky88 wrote: »
    Not commentary related but the coverage of the players has been terrible

In what way ?

Hazel Irvine is retiring ?

Thanks Hazel for all your years of service :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Rikand wrote: »
    Hazel Irvine is retiring ?

Thanks Hazel for all your years of service :)

Is that it is it only the Golf or is fully retiring from the BBC? I'll miss her from the Snooker as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I think it's just the golf, she said she's looking forward to presenting the snooker next week. I've always admired her, true professional to the end, seems like a lovely lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I think it's just the golf, she said she's looking forward to presenting the snooker next week. I've always admired her, true professional to the end, seems like a lovely lady.

Yeah just checked Twitter to do with family commitments she will continue to present the snooker and other major sporting events for the BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

NDWC wrote: »

Line of the week.

David:
    "If you had to pick one, your head would say Rose but your heart would say Sergio. What do you think Padraig?"

Padraig:
    "Well, maybe not my heart, but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Yeah just checked Twitter to do with family commitments she will continue to present the snooker and other major sporting events for the BBC

They have two golf days in the entire year (saturday & sunday at the masters) and this is too much!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

They have two golf days in the entire year (saturday & sunday at the masters) and this is too much!!

I thought that aswell. Sounds like it could be an agreed upon line to let her leave with a bit of dignity.

It's probably the travel - she doesnt want to be away from home anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Paul McGinley is beginning to look like Bobby Charlton,
    he's also the worst pundit i've ever heard, so self serving

AnneFrank wrote:
    Paul McGinley is beginning to look like Bobby Charlton, he's also the worst pundit i've ever heard, so self serving

He has always had an eye open for the commercial opportunity and he has done well out of it.

A bit too smarmy and schmoozy for my taste but he has made the most of his talent and his opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Advertisement