Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - Stander Up and Fight

Options
  • 06-04-2017 11:35am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New Munster thread here. Suggestions for a title are welcome, we might add a poll for a few days to pick a winner.

Usual charter rules apply, Munster-related team talk/gossip here.

Thread Title Options 128 votes

Now We're Sucking Deysel
    0%
    John Hayes Ligind
    17%
    2smiggyirishbucsfanPodge_irltwinytwomr. pleasantkidamianmcrTopOfTheRightlehe8707wp_ratheadRob094case885Shamrock841bannerman2005letowskiInterested ObserverDog BothererDontThankMeRedpillFormer Former 22 votes
    A new born king to see POM POM POM POM POM
    6%
    siodaablelocksZzippyScrubsfanChrisDDC1990thomond2006nobboThe Lost Sheep 8 votes
    Psycho Killer - "Hands Away" (Prop-Prop-Prrrroppp-Prop, Prop-Prop-Prop-Prrrrrrop-Prop)
    25%
    ShougekiDeagol[Deleted User]SpudmonkeyBazzobudhabobTeferiPetKingHigginsJwillitTomtom364Hype710OAOBCookiemunsteraloooofLuckyGent88leakybootsPistachios & creamshuffolsensitive1960 32 votes
    Return of the JJ
    10%
    athtrasnaFeederheebusjeebusBassfishDiabhal BeagscribaMr TicklemohawkLostArtTrend Setter in Trainingitstimeforteadavo2001b.gud 13 votes
    Stander Up and Fight
    8%
    Newtown90johnnyryan89DGRulzLandoflemonv6e5qzawyrc3jnkuang1Stan27CMOTDibblerprawnsamboespn091Erik Shin 11 votes
    Guess Who's Back, Back Again? JJ's Back, Tell a Friend
    28%
    .aktommycahirAkrasiaIcebergClaremanSabre0001connemara manbuck65KevskiomerinblegTimothy BryceSanjuroirelandrovershano_88PTH2009vienne86bennyl10shootermacgPIORUN 37 votes
    Deysel powered va JJ
    3%
    11811Squidgy Blackunplayableslievenamon fellagazump123 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Stander Up and Fight
    Stander-ing to Erik Shin ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

John Hayes Ligind
    Munster Team Talk Thread VI - Now we're sucking Deysel

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

John Hayes Ligind.

Do it right now Zzippy.

Psycho Killer - "Hands Away" (Prop-Prop-Prrrroppp-Prop, Prop-Prop-Prop-Prrrrrrop-Prop)
    Munster Team Talk Thread VI - The more the Murrayer

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - It's Heaslips fault

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - Taute not Touting

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - Title TBC

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - The Smooching Flankers Club

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - The Axel of Glory

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - Red sky in the morning.. ... John Hayes is a ligind

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - A new born king to see POM POM POM POM POM

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - 23 Scannells, sitting on a wall

Munster Team Talk Episode VI - Return of the JJ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Goddamit, I spent enough time faffing about not doing work for my last post on the last thread and it gets lost!
    venjur wrote:
    Carbery needs to start kicking 80%+ and playing games before he realistically comes into the conversation. Tyler is doing both of these things at the moment.

From a Munster perspective though it's worrying that some of the names being put forward as future International stars (Kleyn, Carbery) are project players.

Out of interest, who of the uncapped bunch of lads that are from Munster do people think are likely to break through in the coming years?

I wouldn't say it's particularly worrying at all, Munster's representation in Ireland squads is pretty good at the moment. And there's a good case that someone like Killer should have been ahead of Healy this Six Nations.

Niall Scannell is already second choice hooker and I'd back him to continue his upward trajectory and take over from Best. Rory Scannell is knocking on the extended squad door too, even if his form took it's first dip during the Six Nations - he'll surely get a runout in Japan. He offers something different to the 12 role, distribution and kicking are much better than Henshaw (he completely outplayed him in Thomond Park, probably one of his best performances this season). Needs a big game v Sarries and beyond.

BTW, there's a third Scannell coming down the tracks that could be the most talented of the lot from what a mate said (pinch of salt... but getting my spake in very early!).

Sweetnam looks to be good for caps in Japan, classy player. Conway deservedly has forced his way into the reckoning. Those few are the most immediate that I see stepping up along with Tyler after Xmas.

Beyond that in the slightly longer term, Conor Oliver looks to have the goods, been very impressive so far and is pushing TOD. Backrow internationally is ridiculously competitive though obviously. JOD has already been capped but this season has been one of sort of stagnation from him being moved around/injured since his cap. Given his pedigree the whole way through his career so far I'd back him to up his game more, only just turned 23 too in February.

There's a glut of back 3 players across all the provinces who'll be jostling for the next season or two for Kearney and Trimble's jerseys (possibly Earls too but the other two are more immediately at risk) until someone of the incumbents moves their game up a level and nails down the jersey.

D'ya know who has arguably been the most impressive Irish wing this season over the course of the whole season in the Pro12... Ronan O'Mahony. I don't particularly rate him and don't think he's within a sniff of international caps but he's having the season of his life as a dirt-tracker. Not really part of this conversation but just struck me that I wanted to make the point, had worked hard on his game.

Anyway, others to keep half an eye on long-term from Munster:

Alex Wootton is cut from the same cloth as Sweetnam but his injury really happened at the worst time this season, was looking forward to seeing him get a run, serious gas and great in the air. Ronan O'Mahony really benefitted from his injury.

Fineen Wycherley in the second row should see more gametime if DR is moving on, but too early to say how high his ceiling is - the fact Rassie has given him gametime and he's only 19 (an absolute horse of a young fella) bodes well.

Bill Johnston looked to be on the cards but has now broke his fibula or tibula or something, that's a couple of horrific injuries for him so who knows how he'll bounce back.

You'll always have a bolter out of 'nowhere' like JvdF or Carberry so who knows, maybe JJ comes back and rips it up, or Farrell or Sam Arnold (not Munster born and bred obviously).

Munster A and Junior teams have been quietly tipping away, Juniors beat the three other provinces last season (hockeyed Leinster away and Connacht at home) and the As are in the final this year, so looks like we've finally got our structures right and starting to bear fruit.

• Advertisement

Oh and I'm sticking by my

suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Stan27

Stander Up and Fight
    The fortress awakens 😇

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

John Hayes Ligind
    I'm liking return of the JJ ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

John Hayes Ligind
    "Stander Up and Fight" is too easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Guess Who's Back, Back Again? JJ's Back, Tell a Friend
    Not sure about Connor Oliver, sure he's mobile, but he's only little and light, barely 6 foot even.

• Advertisement

Ah he's stocky enough to my eye, only 21 too so plenty of time to fill out.

The height thing wouldn't bother me at all, he's very quick to get down on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Not sure about Connor Oliver, sure he's mobile, but he's only little and light, barely 6 foot even.

He's too small for international rugby.

Best one yet:

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - A new born king to see POM POM POM POM POM

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

TRKs - The GIF Room : Mauling Toulouse

John Hayes Ligind
    OhHiMark wrote:

And how would that affect Munster?
    He's the same size as Hooper who's a pretty good international 7.

He's 21 lads, he could be a monster in a few years. So far he's done everything expected of him and more, along with Sweetnam is probably the most exciting player coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

OhHiMark wrote: »

Hmm, where have we heard that remark before.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

"Guess Who's Back, Back Again? JJ's Back.."

Any more suggestions and we'll stick a poll up for a few days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭espn091

Stander Up and Fight
    case885 wrote: »
    And how would that affect Munster?
    He's the same size as Hooper who's a pretty good international 7.

Conor Oliver is not as talented as Michael Hooper, i'm sorry to say.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - Deysel powered va JJ

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 291 ✭✭Bigbok

Winters wrote: »
    Hmm, where have we heard that remark before.

Or let's just buy foreign players and coaches cos we can't breed our own!

Duncan Casey 2018
    Kevin O'Byrne 2018
    Rhys Marshall 2019
    Niall Scannell 2019
    Mike Sherry 2018

Vincent O'Brien Year 1

James Cronin 2019
    Dave Kilcoyne 2020
    Peter McCabe 2017

Stephen Archer 2018
    John Ryan 2019

Rory Burke Year 3
    Brian Scott Year 3

Liam O'Connor Year 2
    JP Phelan Year 2

Mark Chisholm 2017
    Jean Deysel 2017

Billy Holland 2018
    John Madigan 2017
    Sean McCarthy 2017

Darren O'Shea 2018
    Donnacha Ryan 2017
    Jean Kleyn 2019

Sean O'Connor Year 1
    Fineen Wycherley Year 1

Dave O'Callaghan 2018
    Tommy O'Donnell 2019
    Peter O'Mahony 2018
    Robin Copeland 2018
    Jack O'Donoghue 2019
    CJ Stander 2018

Conor Oliver Year 2
    Ben Kilkenny Year 2
    Gavin Coombes Year 1
    John Foley Year 1

James Hart 2019
    Conor Murray 2019
    Duncan Williams 2019
    Angus Lloyd 2017
    Abrie Griesel

Tyler Bleyendall 2019
    JJ Hanrahan 2019
    Ian Keatley 2017

Bill Johnston Year 2

Sam Arnold 2018
    Cian Bohane 2017
    Chris Farrell 2019
    David Johnston 2018
    Francis Saili 2017
    Rory Scannell 2018
    Jaco Taute 2017

Dan Goggin Year 3
    Ned Hodson Year 2
    Calvin Nash Year 1
    Shane Daly Year 1

Andrew Conway 2018
    Keith Earls 2019
    Ronan O'Mahony 2019
    Darren Sweetnam 2019
    Alex Wootton 2019
    Simon Zebo 2018

Greg O'Shea Year 3
    Stephen Fitzgerald Year 3
    Steven McMahon Year 2

IN: James Hart (SH, Racing 92), JJ Hanrahan (FH, Northampton), Chris Farrell (centre, Grenoble)
    OUT: Dave Foley (LK, Pau), Tomas O'Leary (SH, Montpellier/TBC)
    Confirmed NIEs for 2017/18: Rhys Marshall (uncapped), Jean Kleyn (uncapped)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

John Hayes Ligind
    Bigbok wrote: »

The jealousy is only going to intensify when he's starting in the back row for the lions

My ignore list overfloweth.

My ignore list overfloweth.

It's not bad I guess, don't really get it myself. Oh and you forgot to start with "Munster Team Talk Thread VI -"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Stander Up and Fight
    Bigbok wrote: »
    They took ar furriners :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

John Hayes Ligind
    You'll certainly never get a foreigner like Tendai Mtawarira playing for South Africa. Or a foreign coach like Carlos Spencer coaching one of their club sides.

John Hayes Ligind
    espn091 wrote:
    Conor Oliver is not as talented as Michael Hooper, i'm sorry to say.

Didn't say he is, Oliver doesn't have to be the next Hooper to make it at Munster at ECC level and size won't hold him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Stander Up and Fight
    You'll certainly never get a foreigner like Tendai Mtawarira playing for South Africa. Or a foreign coach like Carlos Spencer coaching one of their club sides.
    Ah but we don't really want them, because reasons. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement