Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Nvidia Shield

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Can someone point me to where I would find out how to set up a plex server using a pc with harddrive and Nvidia shield please. An idiot's guide preferably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

I'm referring to wireless bandwidth and the Mi lacking Ethernet. Having one device demanding continuous streams of 30mbit can really affect the wireless performance for other wireless users

Even if the wireless connection is much much faster than the above speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Can someone point me to where I would find out how to set up a plex server using a pc with harddrive and Nvidia shield please. An idiot's guide preferably

The Shield can be both server and client
    https://shield.nvidia.com/blog/how-to-setup-plex-media-server

Wireless is shared, all your devices share that speed. Your router radio will only send packets to one device at a time, in one direction at a time (send or receive, not both at same time) so having one device demanding high bandwidth can really affect the performance to other devices.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, wireless sucks, better to avoid it if at all possible.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you can't go wired try using the 5ghz band for the shield and put everything else on the 2.4GHZ band if your router supports it.

Wireless is shared, all your devices share that speed. Your router radio will only send packets to one device at a time, in one direction at a time (send or receive, not both at same time) so having one device demanding high bandwidth can really affect the performance to other devices.

Yeah but surely if the speed is way over the needs of streaming that media it won't cause any difference to other users unless of course they are doing something hugely intensive like streaming the same kind of media. We could sometimes have 3/4 people watching stuff online at the same time in the house with no noticeable difference in the media.

Yeah but surely if the speed is way over the needs of streaming that media it won't cause any difference to other users unless of course they are doing something hugely intensive like streaming the same kind of media. We could sometimes have 3/4 people watching stuff online at the same time in the house with no noticeable difference in the media.

It depends on many factors, number of devices, signal, interference from other wireless etc. It really doesn't take many connections to slow a wireless network, especially if you add one with a weak signal. It's better to try avoid using wireless for media by cabling everything static keeping wireless for mobility

The Shield has Ethernet though so not an issue, you should try use it if you can

It depends on many factors, number of devices, signal, interference from other wireless etc. It really doesn't take many connections to slow a wireless network, especially if you add one with a weak signal. It's better to try avoid using wireless for media by cabling everything static keeping wireless for mobility

The Shield has Ethernet though so not an issue, you should try use it if you can

I am currently tossing a coin between this and the Mi Box. I just can't seem to justify paying 3x the price for this when I have zero interest in gaming. If I really find that the wireless connection isn't working out I can always buy an Ethernet adaptor for a a few extra quid. If I was going to pay this kind of money I would just buy a mini PC with a full OS like Win 10 on it. I guess my mind is made up after this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Akula

I have the MiBox. No HDR though on Netflix.

• Advertisement

I am currently tossing a coin between this and the Mi Box. I just can't seem to justify paying 3x the price for this when I have zero interest in gaming. If I really find that the wireless connection isn't working out I can always buy an Ethernet adaptor for a a few extra quid. If I was going to pay this kind of money I would just buy a mini PC with a full OS like Win 10 on it. I guess my mind is made up after this post.

This is the adapter for the Mi if you need it

TeckNet 3 Port USB3.0 Hub 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter USB 3.0 to RJ45 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JTSYBUY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_-v3yzbGTKD931

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Can someone with a Shield give it a test on transcoding & burning in subtitles from psg or idx/sub? I had heard somewhere that it can only do hardware transcoding if its NOT burning in the subtitles so if you want them burnt in it needs to be software transcoding and I've not heard anyone talk about how well it can handle that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

JohnK wrote: »
    Can someone with a Shield give it a test on transcoding & burning in subtitles from psg or idx/sub? I had heard somewhere that it can only do hardware transcoding if its NOT burning in the subtitles so if you want them burnt in it needs to be software transcoding and I've not heard anyone talk about how well it can handle that.

I've used subs without issue. I do have a seperate server though if you're planning on using ht eSheild as a server. I doubt it will be a problem TBH - it's a bit of a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Just get a decent emulation app. I have one, and it has every game for every system as diverse as the old Atari to NeoGeo, PCEngine, NES, SNES, N64, Sega etc, right up to PlayStation.

Hard to fault it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Patww79 wrote: »

Not sure if the app can be mentioned on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

stimpson wrote: »
    I've used subs without issue. I do have a seperate server though if you're planning on using ht eSheild as a server. I doubt it will be a problem TBH - it's a bit of a beast.

Yeah I'd be looking at it mainly as a server. Currently just have a synology which is grand for direct streams but unless the subtitles are srt it falls over; same with some multi channel audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

JohnK wrote: »
    Yeah I'd be looking at it mainly as a server. Currently just have a synology which is grand for direct streams but unless the subtitles are srt it falls over; same with some multi channel audio.

I wouldn't be concerned about it. You could always hook up the synology with USB and see how it does. Any problem then return to Amazon. I'd be amazed if it doesn't work perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

stimpson wrote: »
    I wouldn't be concerned about it. You could always hook up the synology with USB and see how it does. Any problem then return to Amazon. I'd be amazed if it doesn't work perfectly.

I run the shield and its linked to my synology nas by ethernet via my router.
    It has no problem transcoding and apparently it can do 4 x 1080p streams simultaneously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Here's a very good article I've just found on using the shield as a plex server..
    some tips in there I didn't even know.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/221099648-Limitations-When-Running-Plex-Media-Server-on-NVIDIA-SHIELD

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JohnnyRoyal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

Amy reason to post this in a '2017 Nvidis Shield' thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The title is for the Mi Box 3s and the pictures are a mix between 3s and Mi TV box pictures. The description is for the Mi TV.

Too much of a headache. Who knows what box you are gonna get.

Price went up again yesterday. Waited too long to make a decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Basil3 wrote: »
    Price went up again yesterday. Waited too long to make a decision!

Will drop again soon. Set an alert on Camel Camel Camel

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pbyrneirl

SachaJ wrote: »
    Not much of a discount at £20 (Was £189.99, now £169.99) but it's the first time I've seen the new model reduced.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Media-Streaming-Device/dp/B01NBJ6KZY/

I ordered one for £169.99 on Amazon.co.uk from a reseller. Beware. Had to get a refund from Amazon because the Shield never turned up, never got any kind of notification from the seller and the seller wouldn't reply to any emails. Sometime when it's too good to be true, it's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pbyrneirl

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Media-Streaming-Device/dp/B01NBJ6KZY/

Does anyone have any problems with the remote not being very responsive? Quiet often it takes a while to react to button presses.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Assuming your remote is the 2017 model (have the 2015 non removable battery model myself), I'm pretty sure I read someone on Reddit, saying that a new battery, solved the lag remote issue. Not 100% on that, but it MAY help you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement