Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf waterproofs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

First Up wrote: »
    One can only try.....

You didn't used to Mod on here under a different username by any chance??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

You didn't used to Mod on here under a different username by any chance??

They couldn't afford me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kbrady1990

I ended up going for the Sunderland of scotland gear from mcguirkes, I played twice in the rain since and I was very impressed , the main thing for me was that the jacket didn't affect my swing and I was nice and cool all day .

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kbrady1990

I ended up going for the Sunderland of scotland gear from mcguirkes, I played twice in the rain since and I was very impressed , the main thing for me was that the jacket didn't affect my swing and I was nice and cool all day .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I got a proquip jacket about 3 years ago and it has never failed me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

On the look out for some middle of the road winter rainware. I know that you get what you pay for in this department but done want to go top of the range as I at a stage that if the weather is to wet I wont be playing. Checking out Under Armer in Kildare Factory out let and they did not really have anything to suit. Noticed this on Sports Direct , https://ie.sportsdirect.com/nike-golf-storm-fit-waterproof-suit-365088?colcode=36508803
    Any body have any experience of this Nike piece or other pointers where to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I had some expensive gear a few years ago that was quite good but can't remember the name of it. Think they predominantly do hunting gear orelief something.

Have quite a bit of the proquip gear mentioned above and find it as bout as waterproof as a paper bag

Currently have the Nike storm rainsuit in the post above and it the best I've had. Very comfortable and completly waterproof

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Glebee wrote: »
    On the look out for some middle of the road winter rainware. I know that you get what you pay for in this department but done want to go top of the range as I at a stage that if the weather is to wet I wont be playing. Checking out Under Armer in Kildare Factory out let and they did not really have anything to suit. Noticed this on Sports Direct , https://ie.sportsdirect.com/nike-golf-storm-fit-waterproof-suit-365088?colcode=36508803
    Any body have any experience of this Nike piece or other pointers where to look.
    +1 on the Nike Storm fit.
    Playing with it for past couple of years and never let me down even in the worst of downpours. Highly recommended and great price

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

dennyire wrote: »
    +1 on the Nike Storm fit.
    Playing with it for past couple of years and never let me down even in the worst of downpours. Highly recommended and great price

Took a chance on the Nike gear. Hopefully its half decent. If it a deluge ill be in the clubhouse.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Ronney

Have a FJ Jacket myself and has never let me down on the wettest day of the links. Sunderland trousers the same (Dont like the pockets though)

Some good discounts here, got shoes off them a month back and arrived in a couple of days
    https://www.moresports.com/mens-waterproofs/

DryJoy Tour XP Jacket and a gamble on the CK trousers down the end for 130 all in!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Any opinions on the following? I have a bit of cash on my account in our pro shop but they only stock footjoy or under armour.

UA vs FJ

http://www.underarmour.co.uk/en-gb/mens-ua-storm-rain-jacket/1281281.html?dwvar_1281281_color=001

I have this jacket, got it in American Golf start of the year. Very good waterproof jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Took a chance on the Nike gear. Hopefully its half decent. If it a deluge ill be in the clubhouse.:p

Even in a deluge you wont get wet...just remember like all wet gear when standing over a shot in a deluge nothing will protect back of neck. Try a scarf/waterproof hat /gillet....many o[tions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I have the dryjoys select suit - local shops didn’t have in stock so I tried the XP on for sizing and was really impressed how thin and light it was, and I love the select suit so I would say go XP if you can afford

Nike Gear arrived today. Seems very decent, rain just sort of bounces of it. It will do me anyway. Strange fit though. Got a large, jacket is perfect but trousers are slightly long.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sneeky1986

I dont know much about "golf" waterproofs but ive used my hiking waterproofs for golf for the last 6 years. Ive hiked in them for 15 + years still waterproof. Berghaus jacket and pants cost me €120 15 odd years ago good investment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Personally I'd go with UA over FJ, every item of UA I have is top class (I don't have any waterproofs) but I've had a few FJ jackets I was never 100% happy with.

Snotty wrote: »
    Personally I'd go with UA over FJ, every item of UA I have is top class (I don't have any waterproofs) but I've had a few FJ jackets I was never 100% happy with.

Interesting. Must take a trip to American Golf and try a few on. Local club pro only stocks L and XL in most of his gear :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Interesting. Must take a trip to American Golf and try a few on. Local club pro only stocks L and XL in most of his gear :mad:

Says a lot about society as a whole...

Done a bit of window shopping in american golf.

The UA Goretex stuff looks class as does the new Footjoy LTS stuff.

I bought the FJ hydrolite 1/2 zip on ebay for £70 (shops charging £150), on the lookout now for a good deal on the trousers (either Dryjoys XP or hydrolite), found they are very tight fitting and you would need to go up a size if ordering online so maybe my Pro was right to only stock L and XL. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

I tried a few bits on in mcguircks the Sunderland top is very reasonably priced but I found it a little baggy around the mid section. I also tried GG top which was the opposite tight on the mid section. Didn't like the underarmour as I felt girly being buttoned from the wrong side (if you grew with all older sisters you'd understand).
    I eventually found a kartel top half sleeve short zip in a bargin bin it works great. I also use the padraig Harrington skin tight top under everything as an added layer of protection. I have a pair of pro quip pants I bought the full suit 5 years ago the top leaks the bottoms are still good. Also normal golf trousers like Adidas of slazanger are good to wick away rain the don't hold water.
    MW waterproof gloves and skechers shoes are very good in the wet. I go through footjoys in about 8 months had to return 1 pair the replacement lasted 8 months as well. That's my 2 cents.

Got the Footjoy Dryjoys Tour XP on ebay for £45. Brand new with tags. Local pro selling for £150 so bit of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I tried a few bits on in mcguircks the Sunderland top is very reasonably priced but I found it a little baggy around the mid section. I also tried GG top which was the opposite tight on the mid section. Didn't like the underarmour as I felt girly being buttoned from the wrong side (if you grew with all older sisters you'd understand).
    I eventually found a kartel top half sleeve short zip in a bargin bin it works great. I also use the padraig Harrington skin tight top under everything as an added layer of protection. I have a pair of pro quip pants I bought the full suit 5 years ago the top leaks the bottoms are still good. Also normal golf trousers like Adidas of slazanger are good to wick away rain the don't hold water.
    MW waterproof gloves and skechers shoes are very good in the wet. I go through footjoys in about 8 months had to return 1 pair the replacement lasted 8 months as well. That's my 2 cents.
    Good God. The stuff we have to do in this bloody country to play a game of golf without contracting pneumonia. It's depressing

Anyone have an tried Benross waterproofs. Mcguirks have a few jackets on sale at minute and BenRoss Hydro Pro and Sunderland Vancouver jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Moochy Pugh

Sorry to bump this thread.In the market for a new pair of waterproof trousers.I previously had Proquip tourflex 360s, thinking of either purchasing those or the underarmour storm 3 pants which there are good deals on at the moment.Anyone have storm 3 pants & could recommend?Play links up the Northwest so fairly hairy weather most weekends.thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Sorry to bump this thread.In the market for a new pair of waterproof trousers.I previously had Proquip tourflex 360s, thinking of either purchasing those or the underarmour storm 3 pants which there are good deals on at the moment.Anyone have storm 3 pants & could recommend?Play links up the Northwest so fairly hairy weather most weekends.thanks in advance

Id highly recommend craighopper aquadry trousers. They are fleece lined.
    I wear them every weekend playing in winter without the need to wear a normal pair of trousers underneath. Can be thrown into the washing machine as well.

usually available in regatta stores and probably the great outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

RGS wrote: »
    Id highly recommend craighopper aquadry trousers. They are fleece lined.
    I wear them every weekend playing in winter without the need to wear a normal pair of trousers underneath. Can be thrown into the washing machine as well.

usually available in regatta stores and probably the great outdoors.

I'd second that. Have these a few months and are great. Very warm and dry.

They were also great for walking in snow showers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭whizbang

https://www.americangolf.eu - Extra 50% off all waterproofs at the moment,

Footjoy hydrolite is 97.50 after discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

20% everything on Sports Direct until 12 tonight.

That Gore-Tex jacket is good value.

445331.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭kennethrhcp

hey lads, didn't think it was worth a new thread... I'm not a fan of the golfing waterproof jackets I've looked at. just don't like swinging in them.

was out with a friend yesterday & he wore a cycling jacket (rapha) & swung with ease, the jacket was light as feck, it was lashing & he was bone dry after. any one on here looked at alternative rain gear like that?

Advertisement