Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

(Aug 17) NEW Interdepartmental HEO comp (Serving civil servants only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Bolt from the blue!

Worth a try yet again.

Good luck folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Woodenframe

Just waiting to get the PFO from last weeks interview before I start filling in the form :D

Nuts, looks like I'll be abroad on the dates of the online tests. I know I'm going to be in Madrid on the 19th September so I'll have to make sure I have access to a computer there. They don't recommend doing it on a tablet....

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BobCat123

3 months short to be eligible, sickened :/

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭charliegeorge

Just glanced at the form, is the question on Policy new this time around?

• Advertisement

Just glanced at the form, is the question on Policy new this time around?
    Yes that's brand new, just looking at last year's form, there have been a few tweaks...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭charliegeorge

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Yes that's brand new, just looking at last year's form, there have been a few tweaks...

So copying and pasting is out the window.

Reading between the lines it seems like a HEO comp for Dublin mainly. Seriously wondering if I'll bother this time :confused:

So copying and pasting is out the window.

Up to a point, the education and work experience are Ok as are some of the competencies. Management and Delivery of Results is now Managing Projects/ Operations.
    BobCat123 wrote: »
    Reading between the lines it seems like a HEO comp for Dublin mainly. Seriously wondering if I'll bother this time :confused:

I've been thinking the same. But we've nothing to lose by applying!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sligo_dave

Is the 2 years service strict or is there any leeway on it? Or is it even checked? It seems bizarre to be calling this competition 7 months prior to the expiry of the previous competition!

sligo_dave wrote: »
    Is the 2 years service strict or is there any leeway on it? Or is it even checked? It seems bizarre to be calling this competition 7 months prior to the expiry of the previous competition!

No leeway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭yesjohn7

Here we go again! When will the online assessment be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

I think there will be an open HEO comp announced soon. The circular i linked below states ratio of HEO hires in amongst garda civilians is 2 internal to 1 external (open)

http://cpsu.ie/02717-circular-civilian-posts/

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

BobCat123 wrote: »
    3 months short to be eligible, sickened :/

9 days short to be eligible....

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

yesjohn7 wrote: »
    Here we go again! When will the online assessment be?

It's on the circular. 14th - 19th September 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I'm not going to bother with this new competition.
    I didn't pass my interview in the current competition.
    No guarantee I'd get that far again, but even if I did and was successful, I have no intention of ever working in, living in, or commuting to Dublin.

Best of luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Im so not in the zone for this!

Decided to chance my arm and e-mail PAS to see if there was any flexibility about the 2 years service since I'm only 9 days short. The short answer was "No", as expected. I got a very polite and to the point e-mail back:

Thank you for your email.

Candidates must have 2 full years service on or before ¬ the closing date for applications which is the 05/09/2017.

Kind regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭carleigh

I'm 2 days short, got the same reply and was told to contact DPER if I had anything further to query!

carleigh wrote: »
    I'm 2 days short, got the same reply and was told to contact DPER if I had anything further to query!

Oh god 2 days!!!! That's so tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It's unfortunate, but do you actually think they'd be 'flexible' about eligibility?
    They've enough calls to deal with from people who have actually made panels.

• Advertisement

Addle wrote: »
    It's unfortunate, but do you actually think they'd be 'flexible' about eligibility?
    They've enough calls to deal with from people who have actually made panels.

Didn't hurt to try!

Got my form in today.

I had to give it a lot of thought, especially with the specificity of examples needed.

And the policy question? pfft. :D I have no experience of that at all so I said so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eagle1978

Any ideas on the structure of the Interview?
    Do we have to give a presentation if we get to the interview stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

eagle1978 wrote: »
    Any ideas on the structure of the Interview?
    Do we have to give a presentation if we get to the interview stage!

Interview is based on the six competencies, have back up examples. Also you will be required to do a presentation exercise, which is usually on the same day (different panel to the interview board though).

For the presentation you are sat in a room and given briefing documents which you have to analyse and do up a memo (make sure you know how to format/construct a memo). You will be given 90 mins after which you then have to submit your memo and then present your findings/recommendations to the presentation board. You are given 10 min for the presentation followed by 10 mins of questions.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Red Wolf - Great help.

Anyone know of any good sites that have similar numerical an verbal tests to the ones we will be sitting?

eagle1978 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any good sites that have similar numerical an verbal tests to the ones we will be sitting?

shl.com is good for practice.

Thanks Aglomerado, I will give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Does this cover people in other parts of the public sector? Have over two years' service in a government agency and in a Higher Education Institute now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Lux23 wrote: »
    Does this cover people in other parts of the public sector? Have over two years' service in a government agency and in a Higher Education Institute now.

Sorry no. Candidates must be serving in an established, unestablished or acting capacity in the Civil Service in a grade below that of Higher Executive Officer

Advertisement