Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What's the opinion on Halo 5? Started it and while I like the 60 FPS gameplay it seems.... meh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

4 and 5 were very forgettable. And that's coming from a big Halo fan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What really disturbs me is how much... 'fuller' cortana looks and how horny her and the master chief are for each other.

Also the forerunner yokes are still boring as fook to fight compared to the Covenant, who are a step back from the AI in Reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What's the opinion on Halo 5? Started it and while I like the 60 FPS gameplay it seems.... meh.

Story is very meh, but it is short so probably worth sticking out to see where they go with 6, as without spoiling anything, they kind of paint themselves into a corner that I'm interested to see where they go.

Multiplayer is hands down some of the best the series has ever had, the advanced mobility pushes the skill ceiling skyward and makes for great engagements. The only problem now is that the only people still playing will be absolute savages at it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've had a Rift for ages now but always put off picking up Beat Saber for some reason.

Finally gave it a go today and I can offer the hottest of hot takes: everybody was absolutely right and it's a joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm not big into platformers but Astro Bot on PSVR is ****ing amazing. I wasn't even going to try it until it was heavily suggested on boards. My God, it's like playing video games for the first time levels of amazement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Aye, Astro Bot is a joy, and most interestingly not the sort of the game you’d think would be ideal for VR. Moss is another gem along the same lines. Given the idealised vision of VR was to immerse you directly into the world, the idea that some of the best games in the medium thus far have you sort of floating above the world is IMO a fascinating outcome.

Half-Life: Alyx, on the other hand... now that’s the exact sort of game I always dreamt VR would be (not to mention another top-tier, mainline, no filler Half-Life game after all these years). Hopefully it makes it to PS5 to let more people play it, because it’s really again a game that feels like a true step forward for the medium on the whole.

So you think for half life alyx to work on ps5, the move controls need to be different? Having played both (ps and pc), what changes to psvr would be needed do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Retr0gamer wrote: »

4 I found decent but it didn't feel very...Halo-ey, if you get me. Still enjoyable. 5 was a train wreck from start to finish, the pacing, the level design, the story...all muck. at least it's short.
    (I hear the multiplayer is good but honestly i'd have no interest in that side of it)

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    So you think for half life alyx to work on ps5, the move controls need to be different? Having played both (ps and pc), what changes to psvr would be needed do you think?

I haven’t actually used the Move controllers with PSVR, despite having the headset and the controllers (stocked up on them for Johann Sebastian Joust :pac:) so I’m not that familiar with the experience versus PC - have stuck with the DualShock games. But the main thing about Alyx is that you’re turning around and stretching about pretty much all the time, and PSVR obviously is nowhere near as capable in that regard (heck, even with my original Rift it’s a little dicey when reaching to the floor and the like). It’d be a challenge using the current PSVR hardware, no doubt, even with a beefed up console.

I’m sure there are ways around it all or ways to adapt the game for lower-spec hardware - I mean, the PC version already has to take account of different types of tech. Maybe there’ll be a next generation upgrade of some capacity, or maybe Sony will abandon the VR project entirely. But we’ll see. It’s just a shame to me to see a properly great and significant game instantly relegated to a niche market, and given there *are* more VR headsets out there beside Playstations one could only hope a solution is found somewhere along the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zero-Cool wrote: »

They are working on next gen controllers, I imagine on new headsets too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I thought this was pretty incredible:

https://twitter.com/AsherEinhorn/status/1266431925779959809

Also, The Outer Wilds is the game of the generation for me. I feel like I have to post that every once in a while, it's so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

CatInABox wrote: »

Also, The Outer Wilds is the game of the generation for me. I feel like I have to post that every once in a while, it's so good.

Sure you can get loads done when you can time travel.

CatInABox wrote: »

I think that was mentioned in the No Clip doc on the making of Outer Wilds. If you haven't seen it, i highly recommend it. Fascinating and makes the game even more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ace Combat 7 isnt bad tbh

No point in having AI with you I dont think they shot down everything and only there to annoy you with innane chatter.

Yeah they are next to useless.

Play with the advanced controls. The basic controls ruin the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Does anybody find Connor from Assassin's Creed boring? I did. Ezio and Edward Kenway are my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Does anybody find Connor from Assassin's Creed boring? I did. Ezio and Edward Kenway are my favourites.

Well believed to be the worst main character from the series. The game world (for the time) was amazing, and that kept me going to finish it. But yeah, Conor was meh. The Kenways are my favourite, but Cassandra in Odyssey is pretty amazing too.

Connor was definitely my least favourite but Ezio was a hard act to follow. I'm raging i couldn't get into Odyssey. Seemed like an amazing RPG game, just not an assassin's creed game, for me anyway. Looking forward to Valhalla not going as RPG heavy but who knows how that will turn out.

Captain Edward and the sea shanties, along with the end song of 4 were the most memorable in the series for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Connor was indeed as dull as dishwater, but at least the character had some background, drive and a degree of agency which thankfully drove him into conflict with the far more interesting Haytham.

Honestly, I'd prefer that to the aggressive mediocrity that was Arno in Unity. A character so weak he played second fiddle to the city in which his entry in the series was based and whose only redeeming characteristic was his inadvertent creation at the hands of the villainous protagonist in what was essentially a stand-alone expansion for Black Flag.

Christ, I hope Syndicate is better... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

1. Ezio
    2. Altair
    3 .Kassandra/Yer man
    4. Bayek
    5. Arno
    6. Edward
    7. Connor
    8. Frye Twins
    9. Michael Fassbender

Kassandra/Yer man
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Funny the topic of Assassins Creed came up, I just recently finished Black Flag again, and despite the buggy and often broken mess it can be, it's easily the best of the series.

But I also decided to go off and give Syndicate a proper go, and this is so broken it's frankly astonishing. Frequent CTD, tearing, freezing, stuttering and more.

And it's a shame because I'm really really enjoying it, and the Frye twins are really growing on me.

But god damn Ubisoft, they must be the worst company for actually fixing bugs or optimization problems. They do a few quick fixes around launch and then abandon it.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Funny the topic of Assassins Creed came up, I just recently finished Black Flag again, and despite the buggy and often broken mess it can be, it's easily the best of the series.

But I also decided to go off and give Syndicate a proper go, and this is so broken it's frankly astonishing. Frequent CTD, tearing, freezing, stuttering and more.

And it's a shame because I'm really really enjoying it, and the Frye twins are really growing on me.

But god damn Ubisoft, they must be the worst company for actually fixing bugs or optimization problems. They do a few quick fixes around launch and then abandon it.

Syndicate was/is a disaster and was the beginning of the end of what the series used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sonics2k wrote: »

Ubisoft are a big company and would say in general they keep supporting game that other companies would have dropped.

Six siege, For Honour, The Division.

gizmo wrote: »
    Connor was indeed as dull as dishwater, but at least the character had some background, drive and a degree of agency which thankfully drove him into conflict with the far more interesting Haytham.

Honestly, I'd prefer that to the aggressive mediocrity that was Arno in Unity. A character so weak he played second fiddle to the city in which his entry in the series was based and whose only redeeming characteristic was his inadvertent creation at the hands of the villainous protagonist in what was essentially a stand-alone expansion for Black Flag.

Christ, I hope Syndicate is better... :o

Don't bother playing Syndicate. Watch a lets play.

Don't bother playing Syndicate.
    I liked playing Syndicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Varik wrote: »
    Ubisoft are a big company and would say in general they keep supporting game that other companies would have dropped.

Six siege, For Honour, The Division.

Yes, they continue to support their multiplayer games. However they all but abandon their single player games.

Did you know that Assassins Creed Black Flag still doesn't have cloud saves? It did on the launch but it is was woefully broken and kept deleting information instead. So they did a "temporary" fix and removed cloud saves. That was 2014.

Syndicate came out in 2015 and still suffers from terrible optimization, crashes and more. Its absolutely awful stuff from a company that large.

Hell, Assassins Creed Origins was broken on PC on it's launch with astonishing fps issues, which I believe were related to denuvo.
    Syndicate was/is a disaster and was the beginning of the end of what the series used to be.

I'm enjoying the actual gameplay of it more than anything. Yeah it's broken, but it's great to go around London and enjoy actual assassin game play, with combat thrown in as an extra.

The two most recent games just aren't assassin games, and its a shame because there's a shortage of really good assassin games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Surely Syndicate can't be worse than Unity in terms of stability/performance? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Oddly enough Syndicate was one I really enjoyed, not quite up there with the Ezio trilogy or Black Flag, but well above the rest (not counting Origins and Odyssey since I don’t really consider them as part of the same series, excellent in their own right though).

Syndicate also had one of the best DLC packs I’ve played in Jack the Ripper, it’s really well done and genuinely chilling.

All I really want is Black Flag 2, but 50% more piratey.

Advertisement