Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Adare pricing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

tbayers wrote: »
    He rebuilt the place, surely he can charge what he wants? It is like giving out about someone building a 5 start hotel and giving out he/she charges too much. This place will thrive, there are plenty of rich people out there willing to pay that amount of money to play golf in Ireland! Hes not going to worry about us thats for sure!

You are right, of course he can charge what he wants and that forms part of my point. JP is not exactly profit driven with these projects. Look at Luttrelstown. Adare were looking 25 million and he paid them 30 million.

He is more interested in offering the resort to more Americans than more Irish.
    Yes there are rich people in Ireland who can afford to pay 400 quid for golf but they will be in the minority versus the amount of Americans who will fall over themselves to play it. Sad that its a course marked for export but we are lucky we have many top class resorts to play aside from the manor. Just a pity as its one of my favourite parkland courses.

I just didnt think JP was of the elitest nature particulary when he is not as profit driven with these projects. He spends millions on his hobbies of golf and racing so no point going down an ROI route. Its not a priority for JP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

That's 75% of annual membership at my local course. For one round of Golf.

Isn't the long term ambition of his to hold the Ryder Cup in Adare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Isn't the long term ambition of his to hold the Ryder Cup in Adare?
    2026 seemingly. And WGC possibly at some stage. Tiger needs to come back for the sake of Adare and his old pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How good is the course lads?

Also why would the Americans be falling over themselves to play it? Most likely in the rain.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

PARlance wrote: »
    Everyone has the choice, few have the means.

There are lads evading (illegal) tax in every part of the country. If you've ever taken or looked for a cash in hand deal then you're part of that. We've a healthy disrespect for authority in general.

If I was rich enough, I would avoid (legal) paying tax as much as possible. Don't think I'll be playing Adare until I do.

I don't disagree with you on any of that.

What I have a problem with is lauding JP as some sort of saint for throwing crumbs from his table at causes that take his fancy whilst living offshore in order to avoid ( legally ) paying tax as a citizen of Ireland.

Plenty of people don't have an issue with this and he's doing nothing illegal. However, we all have differing perspectives on the morality of certain actions despite them being legal.

This is just a bugbear of mine

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Also why would the Americans be falling over themselves to play it? Most likely in the rain.

Slightly off topic but I was talking to a guy who does a bit of hosting of Americans from time to time. They were down the West last week and they insisted on playing Rosses Point (36 holes) with rain throughout and nobody else on the course and then the following day it was worse again in Murvagh with the greens unplayable they still played out their round.

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Obviously the plan is to get the big events i.e Ryder Cup etc and set it up as a marquee name. It will be on the American golfers bucket list then along with the traditional draws like Ballybunion etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Paulzx wrote: »
    He's an irish citizen who chooses not to reside here for tax reasons. He wants the benefits of being an irish citizen but not the tax responsabilites.

You're correct. He doesn't have to give money.

Unfortunately, the rest of us don't have that choice
    PARlance wrote: »
    Everyone has the choice, few have the means.

There are lads evading (illegal) tax in every part of the country. If you've ever taken or looked for a cash in hand deal then you're part of that. We've a healthy disrespect for authority in general.

If I was rich enough, I would avoid (legal) paying tax as much as possible. Don't think I'll be playing Adare until I do.

Parlance pretty much summed it all up there.

I've no idea how JP works his tax affairs and really it is not any of my business and I don't care. The important thing is that he is not actually breaking any laws.

Now I also have a good understanding of how the tax system works and have no doubt in my mind that JP through Adare & Luttrelstown and whatever else he operates on these shores has paid more Irish tax than probably all of us put together will ever do.

What you guys up on your high horse don't understand is that sure, the government can close certain loopholes regarding tax, but there will always be consequenses of doing that and there are pretty damn good reasons why changes haven't been made. Start charging more tax, and people will piss off out of the country altogether. JP, Dermo, Denis etc along with the likes of Apple, Facebook and Google etc, will just up sticks and do their business elsewhere. What will that do for the economy? sh1t loads of jobs lost, knocking on to a massive loss in income tax for the country... what then.... tax rate increases for the rest.....?????

So sure, if you aren't happy about it, you have a right to consider it a bugbear, but you don't have the right to point the finge at him for breaking laws and acting immorally. Do that over in after hours if you must, but lets stick to the facts here please.

If you really aren't happy about it, go and vote Sine Fein into power. Then lets see what that does for the country.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Parlance pretty much summed it all up there.

I've no idea how JP works his tax affairs and really it is not any of my business and I don't care. The important thing is that he is not actually breaking any laws.

Now I also have a good understanding of how the tax system works and have no doubt in my mind that JP through Adare & Luttrelstown and whatever else he operates on these shores has paid more Irish tax than probably all of us put together will ever do.

What you guys up on your high horse don't understand is that sure, the government can close certain loopholes regarding tax, but there will always be consequenses of doing that and there are pretty damn good reasons why changes haven't been made. Start charging more tax, and people will piss off out of the country altogether. JP, Dermo, Denis etc along with the likes of Apple, Facebook and Google etc, will just up sticks and do their business elsewhere. What will that do for the economy? sh1t loads of jobs lost, knocking on to a massive loss in income tax for the country... what then.... tax rate increases for the rest.....?????

So sure, if you aren't happy about it, you have a right to consider it a bugbear, but you don't have the right to point the finge at him for breaking laws and acting immorally. Do that over in after hours if you must, but lets stick to the facts here please.

If you really aren't happy about it, go and vote Sine Fein into power. Then lets see what that does for the country.

I've no idea how you have managed to attach Sinn Fein to one of my posts:confused: Please don't align me with a political party that i actually loath.

Secondly, I never pointed any fingers at JP with respect to illegality. Please show me where i did.

Thirdly......don't tell me to leave the forum just because you don't agree with me. Report my post if you have an issue with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I just hope this does not drag the other "premium" courses up......

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

Membership is €5k a year. Anyone know what the K Club Palmer course is charging these days? If memory serves me right the K Club is still more expensive for membership per year (around 8k)?

Paulzx wrote: »
    I've no idea how you have managed to attach Sinn Fein to one of my posts:confused: Please don't align me with a political party that i actually loath.

Secondly, I never pointed any fingers at JP with respect to illegality. Please show me where i did.

Thirdly......don't tell me to leave the forum just because you don't agree with me. Report my post if you have an issue with it.

if you have a problem with people not paying their taxes, your opinions are the same of Sine Fein and they promises time and time again that they would close all these loopholes. I never aligned you with the party, i just said your opinions match.

i meant you in general, not just you pesonally, but I also pointed out morally.

my humblest appologies, ive no issue with your post. lets just leave it out altogether and talk about the golf from now on :)

Tin_Cup wrote: »
    Membership is €5k a year. Anyone know what the K Club Palmer course is charging these days? If memory serves me right the K Club is still more expensive for membership per year (around 8k)?

yea i thought they were up around there alright

luttrelstown used to be the same till they "closed" the place. think they only want about 2.5k now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Back to talking about golf, not who owns the place and his affairs. That's for the politics forum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Disappointed that the listed green fees will put this course out of reach. Hopefully they will host some open days that we can get into

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

slingerz wrote: »
    Disappointed that the listed green fees will put this course out of reach. Hopefully they will host some open days that we can get into

Given the exclusive market they're pitching to I'd say that's highly unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Given the exclusive market they're pitching to I'd say that's highly unlikely.
    That's what they said about Doonbeg too. Although JPs quiff isn't quite so pronounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

slingerz wrote: »

I just don't get this attitude - the owner had spent multi millions on redeveloping the course and is now selling to a particular segment of the market.

There are courses like this in every country and no one has a god given right to play any private golf course they decide.

And it's nothing to do with the boom?!? It's not targeting your average GUI member - so what!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Keano wrote: »
    Back to talking about golf, not who owns the place and his affairs. That's for the politics forum!!
    You started the thread, with the greatest of respect Keano what did you expect "oh that's a bit expensive for a game of golf"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I just don't get this attitude - the owner had spent multi millions on redeveloping the course and is now selling to a particular segment of the market.

There are courses like this in every country and no one has a god given right to play any private golf course they decide.

And it's nothing to do with the boom?!? It's not targeting your average GUI member - so what!

Its not really an attitude but surely someone can express disappointment that this course (which was in my opinion the best parkland) is now no longer available to play for mere mortals.
    I loved Adare to play and the fact I now cant is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

In my opinion any club that is affiliated to the GUI should have some sort of common courtesy and agreement to facilitate GUI members playing away courses at GUI rates.
    It makes complete and utter sense. I played Ballyliffin in July and the visitor green fee was €150. But as I was a GUI member, I was given a GUI rate of €60. This makes perfect sense and the GUI should have a standard rate agreed across the board for all GUI affiliated clubs.

The GUI association facilitates and regulates golf clubs across the country so why not introduce a broad loyalty scheme to GUI members who are at the very heartbeat of these golf clubs in Ireland.

These extortionate visitor rates are for Tourists and should be for tourists only who have no concept of value.
    We should look after our own on a lot more favourable terms as we all know, no game of golf is worth more than 70-80 quid no matter who you are cause you can bet your bottom dollar Tony McCoy, Niall Quinn and co would not fork out €400 per round and they can afford it. So if they rely on freebies why shouldn't us mere mortals be entitled to seek a discounted GUI rate.

Passed by it yesterday, he's putting in a serious entrance, some about of limestone

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭CONSI

It is priced a bit high, some other courses below as a comparison..

Dromoland is 90 euro
    Royal PortRush £220
    Trump 190
    Carnoustie £220
    Old course St. Andrews £175
    K Club 240

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Webbs wrote:
    Its not really an attitude but surely someone can express disappointment that this course (which was in my opinion the best parkland) is now no longer available to play for mere mortals. I loved Adare to play and the fact I now cant is disappointing.

I consider myself a mere mortal and if I really wanted to spend my money that way I could play it. As I suspect most of the working population could too.

Nice things cost money, you decide if they're worth it or not.

CONSI wrote: »

Dromoland is 90 euro
    Royal PortRush £220
    Trump 190
    Carnoustie £220
    K Club 240

In the minds of many - including the target audience - the more expensive it is the better it is. Charging a huge amount is a smart marketing strategy, Adare immediately becomes 'the best golf course in Ireland' and the difference between 150 and 350 is irrelevant for the super rich.

I can recall being told a possibly apocryphal story about The Island asking a consultant how they could attract more American money - the simple answer "double your green fees".

CONSI wrote: »

Dromoland is 90 euro
    Royal PortRush £220
    Trump 190
    Carnoustie £220
    K Club 240

Think it needs to be a US based comparison...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I consider myself a mere mortal and if I really wanted to spend my money that way I could play it. As I suspect most of the working population could too.

Nice things cost money, you decide if they're worth it or not.

If I told the wife I was paying that much for a round of golf I would need to be immortal cos other wise she'd kill me

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Ronney

slave1 wrote: »
    Think it needs to be a US based comparison...

Very True. Looking at the high end cost in the States, I have a friend who spent some time as a caddie in Riveria in LA.

For a member to bring out guests the green fee was $700 each, by the time you included cadies, tips, dinner etc he reckoned you wouldnt be shy of $5000 and thats on top of huge Joining fees (250K) and subs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

morrga wrote: »
    In my opinion any club that is affiliated to the GUI should have some sort of common courtesy and agreement to facilitate GUI members playing away courses at GUI rates.
    It makes complete and utter sense. I played Ballyliffin in July and the visitor green fee was €150. But as I was a GUI member, I was given a GUI rate of €60. This makes perfect sense and the GUI should have a standard rate agreed across the board for all GUI affiliated clubs.

The GUI association facilitates and regulates golf clubs across the country so why not introduce a broad loyalty scheme to GUI members who are at the very heartbeat of these golf clubs in Ireland.

These extortionate visitor rates are for Tourists and should be for tourists only who have no concept of value.
    We should look after our own on a lot more favourable terms as we all know, no game of golf is worth more than 70-80 quid no matter who you are cause you can bet your bottom dollar Tony McCoy, Niall Quinn and co would not fork out €400 per round and they can afford it. So if they rely on freebies why shouldn't us mere mortals be entitled to seek a discounted GUI rate.

You're allowed to dream I suppose.....

Advertisement