Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Adare pricing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Webbs wrote: »
    Its not really an attitude but surely someone can express disappointment that this course (which was in my opinion the best parkland) is now no longer available to play for mere mortals.
    I loved Adare to play and the fact I now cant is disappointing.

So because the Burj Al Arab is the best hotel in the world (IMO), should that mean that it be available to mere mortals to stay in?

Oh wait a minute it is, you just have to pay a bit more than the standard Marriott up the road :eek:
    morrga wrote: »
    In my opinion any club that is affiliated to the GUI should have some sort of common courtesy and agreement to facilitate GUI members playing away courses at GUI rates.
    It makes complete and utter sense. I played Ballyliffin in July and the visitor green fee was €150. But as I was a GUI member, I was given a GUI rate of €60. This makes perfect sense and the GUI should have a standard rate agreed across the board for all GUI affiliated clubs.

The GUI association facilitates and regulates golf clubs across the country so why not introduce a broad loyalty scheme to GUI members who are at the very heartbeat of these golf clubs in Ireland.

These extortionate visitor rates are for Tourists and should be for tourists only who have no concept of value.
    We should look after our own on a lot more favourable terms as we all know, no game of golf is worth more than 70-80 quid no matter who you are cause you can bet your bottom dollar Tony McCoy, Niall Quinn and co would not fork out €400 per round and they can afford it. So if they rely on freebies why shouldn't us mere mortals be entitled to seek a discounted GUI rate.

The self righteous entitlement of some people :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

It's a business.

We'll find out soon enough if this was a wise move on their part or not.

They aren't in the business of doing favours for anyone. Nobody is going to hold any benefit nights for guys who lump loads of capital into golf courses that end up going to the wall.

If they can get the members and survive mostly on that then so be it.

There are quite a few courses in the UK and the States where these are the prices. I don't see why Ireland can't do the same (as much as I'd prefer it to be more affordable).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

CONSI wrote: »
    It is priced a bit high, some other courses below as a comparison..

Dromoland is 90 euro
    Royal PortRush £220
    Trump 190 Presumably Doonbeg?
    Carnoustie £220
    Old course St. Andrews £175
    K Club 240

Well it's pointless comparing the ones I've crossed out because comparing them with Adare (even before the makeover) is like comparing apples and oranges

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Webbs wrote: »
    If I told the wife I was paying that much for a round of golf I would need to be immortal cos other wise she'd kill me

I we had it, my wife would easily justify spending €400 on a pair of shoes or a handbag. No reason golf should be any different. You've buying an experience rather than something physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,712 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Will be interesting if they are in GUI and if opens will be on. Will they play intercut etc.

If they are in GUI I don't think that is an unreasonable question / expectation.

Nobody is asking for some form of communist regime. It is a new concept, so people are just curious about the technicalities.

• Advertisement

neddynasty wrote: »
    I we had it, my wife would easily justify spending €400 on a pair of shoes or a handbag. No reason golf should be any different. You've buying an experience rather than something physical.

Paying 400 quid for shoes is also daft .

Paying 400 quid for shoes is also daft .

So is paying 400 quid on a driver ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

[/S]

Well it's pointless comparing the ones I've crossed out because comparing them with Adare (even before the makeover) is like comparing apples and oranges

Comparing Adare with the K-Club is more than reasonable, I'd say it actually the most comparable parkland setup in the country

Seve OB wrote: »
    So is paying 400 quid on a driver ;)

yes is daft , but if fitted, good shaft, you win a few long drives and have 3 or 4 good seasons and wins. there can be payback.

wearing shoes 4 times that give you blisters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

They will not have opens Fix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

slave1 wrote: »
    Comparing Adare with the K-Club is more than reasonable, I'd say it actually the most comparable parkland setup in the country

Nobody pays the rack rate of €240 at the K Club. That is a headline rate for gullible Americans.
    I've played the Palmer Course in March for €75, on a Saturday. At this time of year you can play it for €90. Some restrictions may apply such as minimum of a 4 ball, which they deem a "group rate" (!), or teeing off before 9AM, nothing too excessive.

ligerdub wrote: »
    They aren't in the business of doing favours for anyone. Nobody is going to hold any benefit nights for guys who lump loads of capital into golf courses that end up going to the wall.

Nama?

I appreciate we don't want politics in the thread but the whole "sure why should they care about anyone else?" line IS politics.

Depressing that this is what the world has come to. Even more depressing is the fact that yes, we will be bailing these people out (again) when places go to the wall.

Nobody pays the rack rate of €240 at the K Club. That is a headline rate for gullible Americans.
    I've played the Palmer Course in March for €75, on a Saturday. At this time of year you can play it for €90. Some restrictions may apply such as minimum of a 4 ball, which they deem a "group rate" (!), or teeing off before 9AM, nothing too excessive.

right so to play it at 12 pm on a sunday in July??????

I'm sure Adare will be similar

Anyway, easy way around it so you won't have to pay €340 for a game

join up as a member, €5k. Play 20 games.... that's only €250 per game. Play 40 times... then it's a bargain, €125 a game :D

Nama?

I appreciate we don't want politics in the thread but the whole "sure why should they care about anyone else?" line IS politics.

Depressing that this is what the world has come to. Even more depressing is the fact that yes, we will be bailing these people out (again) when places go to the wall.

Fair enough. I don't think it could relied upon as an individual project. Nama was for collective support. If Adare goes to the wall because of a poor business plan then it won't be bailed out.

slave1 wrote: »

Maybe so, I just think there is no comparison between the two in terms of layout etc. Mount Juliet and Druids Glen are both superior to the K Club IMO. I just don't think it's a particularly great golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Maybe so, I just think there is no comparison between the two in terms of layout etc. Mount Juliet and Druids Glen are both superior to the K Club IMO. I just don't think it's a particularly great golf course.
    Agreed on Druid's Glen. Best parkland in the country.

Opens and reasonable green fees available too.

Whilest I agree that Druids Glen & MJ are my 2 favourite courses in the country, I have never played Adare, but I have played Palmer a few times. It's up there, a pretty damn fine course. But it's not just about opinions of the course that set the prices. Driving through the gates of the Druids and MJ you get the feeling you are somewhere special. But once you go into the K Club, you know you are in a completely different league. They are complexes and not just courses. Two of them places have pretty nice 4 star hotels, one of them has a rather exclusive 5 star hotel.

Whilest I agree that Druids Glen & MJ are my 2 favourite courses in the country, I have never played Adare, but I have played Palmer a few times. It's up there, a pretty damn fine course. But it's not just about opinions of the course that set the prices. Driving through the gates of the Druids and MJ you get the feeling you are somewhere special. But once you go into the K Club, you know you are in a completely different league. They are complexes and not just courses. Two of them places have pretty nice 4 star hotels, one of them has a rather exclusive 5 star hotel.

Take my word for it, K Club is no Adare. I've played both and while the surroundings etc are great in the K Club and yes it is a good course, Adare is in a different league. Fair enough it was prone to getting very wet during the winter months but the changes and investment will just push it miles ahead of any parkland in the country from what I've heard.

Take my word for it, K Club is no Adare. I've played both and while the surroundings etc are great in the K Club and yes it is a good course, Adare is in a different league. Fair enough it was prone to getting very wet during the winter months but the changes and investment will just push it miles ahead of any parkland in the country from what I've heard.

right, so combine the great course in Adare with the luxury complex it is on and it is well worth €400 a game and is stupid to comapre with MJ & Druids?????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Adare is the best course without doubt imho. That was before the changes.

I've played all of the courses mentioned btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Adare is probably better than Druids Glen alright but given the choice I would play Druids. Just think it's a more enjoyable round and those par 3s alone would bring me back.

Druids Glen - a marvelous course. If Adare is better than DG then it's a beaut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Sure Headfort New is better than the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ronney wrote: »
    Very True. Looking at the high end cost in the States, I have a friend who spent some time as a caddie in Riveria in LA.

For a member to bring out guests the green fee was $700 each, by the time you included cadies, tips, dinner etc he reckoned you wouldnt be shy of $5000 and thats on top of huge Joining fees (250K) and subs

So only $700 for the golf, but $4,300 for a caddy, dinner and tip?! **** me it must be some restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

fullstop wrote:
    So only $700 for the golf, but $4,300 for a caddy, dinner and tip?! **** me it must be some restaurant.

In fairness - I think he meant a 4 ball (3 guests @ $700 each) and a caddy for each probably a couple of hundred dollars each - then 4 servings of soup followed by bacon & cabbage and pints of stout..

Doesn't sound like a place you'd be changing in the car park!!

In fairness - I think he meant a 4 ball (3 guests @ $700 each) and a caddy for each probably a couple of hundred dollars each - then 4 servings of soup followed by bacon & cabbage and pints of stout..

Doesn't sound like a place you'd be changing in the car park!!

Yea they probably have dressing room & shower assistants also :D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

Yea they probably have dressing room & shower assistants also :D

Difference between Riviera and Adare is that Riviera is a great course and Adare is merely a very good one.

I still think the previous version of Adare was the best of the new breed in Ireland. I was a little disappointed when I heard it was getting the Fazio treatment. And even more so when I saw the business model.

It doesn't have either the history or excellence to be confident enough in that approach. Trying to buy its exclusivity. A bit forced really.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

That looks fab alright. If money was no object I know where id be heading. Although in such so ****e at the moment id love to take a few lumps out of the faiways..:)

Advertisement