Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smyth's 20% sale

• 24-09-2017 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭

Was in Smyth's Childers road Limerick today and girl at till told me that their yearly 20% off toy sale starts this Tuesday the 26th for one week. Should be useful for early Christmas shoppers.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

You my friend, have just saved my wallet - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Just check the prices before you buy, they recently increased a lot of stuff for this "sale". Just a heads up is all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Was in Tesco Maynooth yesterday and they were setting out the shelving with big "Massive Toy Sale" signage ... worth keeping an eye on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Do they ever include consoles in these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Ok so just an update it's 20% of sorts, it's €10 of a €50 spend or €20 off a €100 spend. So just be smart about your shopping and maybe go to the till multiple times if say your over €150

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

the corpo wrote: »
    Do they ever include consoles in these?

No just toys and I think bikes are also included but not 100% sure on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

No just toys and I think bikes are also included but not 100% sure on that

Last time it was on, I picked up a bike and got the money off.
    Doesn't mean it is the same this time round, but more than likely

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Video games pop vinyls and few other items never included in these sales, gift cards and iTunes cards also excluded.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

So, it's not quite 20% off, it's €10 off a €50 spend: https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/10-off-50

TUESDAY-ROI-10-OFF-50-NFP13-Promo-008aff.jpg
    10 off every 50 promotion is taken on the latest marked price and will be calculated at the checkout. This offer is valid in-store only and is not valid online. Offer valid from Tuesday 26/09/17 until Monday 02/10/17. No voucher necessary. Offer excludes purchases of gift, savings, digital download or POSA cards, plastic bags, video games, games consoles, gaming chairs, Samsung and Kurio tablets, Skylanders figures, Disney Infinity figures, LEGO Dimensions, Gaming figures, Gaming plush, accessories or electronics

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Kayshee123

Thanks OP , I'll definitely be buying something :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Think that Argos are launching their 3 for 2 sale tomorrow to boot. Sun reporting that its launching tomorrow morning.

https://www.thesun.ie/money/1584942/argos-launches-3-for-2-toy-sale-including-chad-valley-star-wars-and-fisher-price-favourites/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Clearing out old stock before Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

mikeysmith wrote: »
    Clearing out old stock before Christmas

No - research shows that a substantial number of items bought early for periods such as Christmas, Easter etc are "consumed" prior to the event if purchased early enough.

In many cases the latest products are actually prioritised to get consumer reaction so that the correct quantities are known in time for the main selling season.

We do it in our company. Next week we'll disect a promotion we are currently running and will base several buying decisions around that info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Coincidence it stops the day before children's allowance for Oct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

CeilingFly wrote: »
    No - research shows that a substantial number of items bought early for periods such as Christmas, Easter etc are "consumed" prior to the event if purchased early enough.

In many cases the latest products are actually prioritised to get consumer reaction so that the correct quantities are known in time for the main selling season.

We do it in our company. Next week we'll disect a promotion we are currently running and will base several buying decisions around that info.

You're saying the 20% off promotion is targeted at new stock for market research?

I didn't understand the first paragraph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

mikeysmith wrote: »
    You're saying the 20% off promotion is targeted at new stock for market research?

I didn't understand the first paragraph

Promotions like this serve a few purposes.

End Sept is fairly quiet - it boosts trade.

There's also still time to order additional stock of items that are appearing to be popular - buyers for shops guess what level of stock is required months in advance, so promotions like these give invaluable information on what the trend items are.

Years ago I was in that trade, did similar promo and noticed "who wants to be a millionaire" sold in way higher numbers than expected - we were able to order a large additional amount and were the only store with it available on Christmas week.

On the goods being "consumed" before the original time expected - they are sitting in the attic for almost 3 months. At some stage some people will have a reason to use/give/eat the item before the event they bought it for, so they then have to buy again, thus it creates a bonus sale.

So back to the post I commented on - these promos are not about moving old stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

Just wondering if anyone knows if smyths intend to do this again this year? Saved me a few quid last year.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

Just wondering if anyone knows if smyths intend to do this again this year? Saved me a few quid last year.

Thanks in advance

It's starting this Tuesday September 25th until the 2nd of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭corks finest

Was in Smyth's Childers road Limerick today and girl at till told me that their yearly 20% off toy sale starts this Tuesday the 26th for one week. Should be useful for early Christmas shoppers.
    Any idea does it include Xbox games ?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Manutd623

Any idea does it include Xbox games ?

Don’t think these deals include, video games or consoles, just toys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Never includes video games

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Never includes video games

Trampolines?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

Includes everything bar the Software section (Consoles, Games, etc) & Nursery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

And people already copping on to Smyths though. A lady bought a toy last week for her daughter,went in to buy it for her niece and it had gone up €12, so it might seem like a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Lashes28 wrote: »
    And people already copping on to Smyths though. A lady bought a toy last week for her daughter,went in to buy it for her niece and it had gone up €12, so it might seem like a bargain.

Always pricecheck against Argos. Generally Argos have their 3 for 2 sale around now which is great value.

I find for Lego, Smyths prices are as competitive as anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Lashes28 wrote: »

Noticed that the prices on a lot of Lego has shot up in last few days. Having said that they're now just RRP, whereas before some items were great value e.g. The Bucket Wheel Excavator was 140, now its 210.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

Always found their shops to be full of overpriced junk tbh

An odd bargain on video consoles and games

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

AS1890 wrote: »
    It's starting this Tuesday September 25th until the 2nd of October.

I messaged them on Twitter and they said no confirmation and to keep an eye out. You'd think they'd be advertising it if its happening tomorrow. I want to get santy sorted so hopefully they do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

pc7 wrote: »
    I messaged them on Twitter and they said no confirmation and to keep an eye out. You'd think they'd be advertising it if its happening tomorrow. I want to get santy sorted so hopefully they do it!

If they advertised it, no one would buy anything last weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I've noticed Click and Collect seems to be disabled on all items except Video Games.

Advertisement