Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smyth's 20% sale

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Henryhill2 wrote: »
    Always found their shops to be full of overpriced junk tbh

that's a very generalised statement based on what??

Maybe you simply think that the toys kids play with these days are junk - Smyths and other Toy shops simply sell what the kids want (or what the toy companies have marketed to the kids to make them want it :) )

Smyths, even though they are an Irish family company and headquartered in Galway are now the largest toy retailer in Europe. - And you don't get to be number one by being overpriced or sellign junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Coincidence it stops the day before children's allowance for Oct?

I'm pretty sure it always does. After the back to school is over with in September a lot of parents would wait until the October CB to start Christmas shopping. This promotion squeezes extra cash from parents beforehand and they know that they'll probably still get good business after the sale because of CB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Smyths, even though they are an Irish family company and headquartered in Galway are now the largest toy retailer in Europe. - And you don't get to be number one by being overpriced or sellign junk.

If you get people to buy overpriced stuff you will be a very profitable company, think Apple.

Have been checking a few items over the last few weeks and all the prices have so far remained the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Does anyone know if they will do another promotion like this before Christmas? It's a bit too early to buy for my fickle 4 year old!

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

ncmc wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they will do another promotion like this before Christmas? It's a bit too early to buy for my fickle 4 year old!

No not normally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Definitely one item I have an eye on is cheaper in Smyths than anywhere else, including online. With potentially another up-to-20% off it'll be a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

I've read elsewhere that it'll be €10 off €50, €20 off €100 etc not 20% of like previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

It's the same as last year. 10 euro off every 50 spent. Starts tomorrow and runs until Sunday- instore only: https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/10-off-50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

Selling off all their junk excluding consoles of course

Before the October children's allowance and Christmas stockup

Prices prob marked up too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Prices are printed in their catalogues. So can’t be marked up.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Prices are printed in their catalogues. So can’t be marked up.

Subject to change ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Might I suggest: use pricespy.ie when comparing prices. Includes amazon so you know where best to shop. Saves me a fortune come birthday/Xmas time!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Not on the stuff I've been watching for a while now, also using price checkers they are the cheapest around for what I want. So all good when you add 20% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Cant understand the vitriol against Smyths. I have three kids under 9, so have spent nigh on 10 years in the place. Smyths prices are consistently better than any online retailer (particularly in Lego). The odd thing might be a bit more expensive but on the whole, their prices are really competitive. They are an Irish success story with their expansion in Europe.

Consoles have never been included, not because they dont want to discount them, its because they cannot discount them. Sony, Nintendo much like Apple and Samsung don't allow discounting of their products without their knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

pc7 wrote: »
    Not on the stuff I've been watching for a while now, also using price checkers they are the cheapest around for what I want. So all good when you add 20% off.

Not wishing to take sides but I was holding off on getting a baby seat at €45, this morning it's up to €50. So it does happen, annoying

Coincidentally Argos have also put it up, from €50 to €60

• Registered Users Posts: 8,622 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Cant understand the vitriol against Smyths. I have three kids under 9, so have spent nigh on 10 years in the place. Smyths prices are consistently better than any online retailer (particularly in Lego). The odd thing might be a bit more expensive but on the whole, their prices are really competitive. They are an Irish success story with their expansion in Europe.

Consoles have never been included, not because they dont want to discount them, its because they cannot discount them. Sony, Nintendo much like Apple and Samsung don't allow discounting of their products without their knowledge.

100% agree with you, I find smiths great and where would we be without them for toys, small fella loves walking around looking at all the toys.
    My task for today is putting up a 10ft trampoline I got from smyths last week, the joys of it huh

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Smyth's do tend to remove any other discounts before having the store wide sale, which is fair enough.

However people see it was selling for x- discount yesterday and now it's X - 20% (ish). Where they were expecting x-discount -20%

People them complain that it's not actually a sale. Using one or two items in their determination.

Smyths probably has the best sale. Argos' 3/2 is too hard to get evenly priced items to get a good discount and they really do take the piss with the price the sell some of their stuff for during theor 3/2 sales.

It is a bit annoying that they no longer do a straight 20% off though, making purchases into round 50s can be annoying. Particularly if things ring through at a lower price than expected, which has happened to be before.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

cBBPETq.jpg?1

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Not wishing to take sides but I was holding off on getting a baby seat at €45, this morning it's up to €50. So it does happen, annoying

You will get it for 40, so still a discount on yesterdays price. If it was 45 you would have had to buy something else to get the discount. I do understand it happens but if you are lucky you get what you wanted with a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

OmegaGene wrote: »
    100% agree with you, I find smiths great and where would we be without them for toys, small fella loves walking around looking at all the toys.
    My task for today is putting up a 10ft trampoline I got from smyths last week, the joys of it huh

Putting up a trampoline at this time of year?? I seen umpteen mangled trampolines in fields, on roofs, etc last week. We always take ours down once kids go back to school - the one year we didn't we found it one morning sitting on top of our neighbours jeep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

It makes no difference to you really though. At €45 you would have had to find something worth €5 to take as well in order to pay €40. No you can buy the seat and get the maximum percentage discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,622 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Putting up a trampoline at this time of year?? I seen umpteen mangled trampolines in fields, on roofs, etc last week. We always take ours down once kids go back to school - the one year we didn't we found it one morning sitting on top of our neighbours jeep!

Oh might rethink that, it was a birthday present

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Absolutely manic in Drogheda this morning..
    Got Santa done for my two 320 and with discount 260.
    They have taken all pricing stickers off the boxes and just have a price card on shelves,not sure if it's new or just for the sale but took a little longer to shop.
    Great bargain op.thanks

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Remember to try and go over the €50/€100 mark when you're totting up your bill for the savings; if you spend €199.99 the discount is applied (so €40 off) but if it's €199.98 then the discount will only be €30. As pretty much everything in the shop is xx.99, add a gift bag for a couple of euro to bring it over if you have to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

fdevine wrote: »
    Definitely one item I have an eye on is cheaper in Smyths than anywhere else, including online. With potentially another up-to-20% off it'll be a no brainer

Said item was €38.99 - now €49.99. More expensive now even with €10 off €50.

Still cheaper than elsewhere but check your prices folks.

fdevine wrote: »
    Said item was €38.99 - now €49.99. More expensive now even with €10 off €50.

Still cheaper than elsewhere but check your prices folks.

I told you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,285 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I picked up the Ghostbusters Firehouse HQ for €280 today instead of the usual €350 (or €360 on the Lego website) with this deal.

An absolute steal.

I added an item for €2 to get over the €350 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I picked up the Ghostbusters Firehouse HQ for €280 today instead of the usual €350 (or €360 on the Lego website) with this deal.

An absolute steal.

I added an item for €2 to get over the €350 mark.

Jaysus. Times sure have changed where a bunch of Lego for €280 is a “steal”.

That woulda cost me 2 birthdays and a 3 Christmas presents back in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,285 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

quarryman wrote: »
    Jaysus. Times sure have changed where a bunch of Lego for €280 is a “steal”.

That woulda cost me 2 birthdays and a 3 Christmas presents back in the 80s.

Well yes it's expensive but it's a steal to me in that its 20% off an item that rarely if ever gets discounted. Its also a huge Lego set and the price is somewhat proportionate to its brick count :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Fair play to Smyth's, pre ordered lol surprise for 99.99 took money on the 24th but because it was collected on the 25th they are refunding me €20 even though technically I would of only been entitled to €10 back as the item wasn't €100 exactly. I didn't even request this refund they did it on their own accord .

Advertisement