Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smyth's 20% sale

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Will the discount be given for something that can only be ordered online for in store collection?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

ablelocks wrote: »
    Will the discount be given for something that can only be ordered online for in store collection?

Poster says in store only, you could fill basket online and see if it shows a discount perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think it's meant to be in store only as I rang Carrickmines about having my dad pick up the item and was told they can't reserve them and it's not for click and collect.

That said, different stores may have different policies as a previous poster showed.

If you put all the items in your basket online for click and collect and are not given a discount, you'll have no right for the discount to be applied upon collection as you'll have agreed to that higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

ablelocks wrote: »

€10 off every €50 promotion is taken on the latest marked price and will be calculated at the checkout. This offer is valid in-store only and is not valid online. Offer excludes in-store home delivery. Offer valid from Tuesday 25th September until Sunday 30th September 2018. Offer excludes purchases of gift, savings, digital download or POSA cards, plastic bags, video games, games consoles, gaming chairs, Samsung, and Kurio tablets, Skylanders figures, Disney Infinity figures, LEGO Dimensions, Gaming figures, Gaming plush, accessories or electronics. Customer limits apply. No bulk buying. This offer is not valid in conjunction with any other promotional offers or money off vouchers. We reserve the right to withdraw, alter or decline these offers without prior notice.

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm planning on spending €49.98 in store. Due to rounding will this be rounded up to €50 to qualify me for the offer?

• Advertisement

I'm planning on spending €49.98 in store. Due to rounding will this be rounded up to €50 to qualify me for the offer?

Nope. The rounding only applies to payment rather than product price.

I had to buy (sorry, my dad insisted on getting) a matchbox style car to get it over the limit.

Rounding up doesn’t work this way
    It will still cost €49.98 on the receipt so no discount
    Buy some bubble mixture for €1 or something else small

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Putting up a trampoline at this time of year?? I seen umpteen mangled trampolines in fields, on roofs, etc last week. We always take ours down once kids go back to school - the one year we didn't we found it one morning sitting on top of our neighbours jeep!

Was that with a tie down kit? I have left mine up the last 18 months and so far it hasn't moved an inch but maybe I am being silly to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Went up to the one in Tallaght and i could barely get parking.
    I only went in for my Daughters Birthday next month but when i seen everyone with shopping trolleys full, i realized that they were Xmas shopping so i ended up getting most of that as well.
    I saved 60 Euros and managed to bring back a similar toy that i had bought in Argos last week for my Daughters Birthday as it was 15 Euros cheaper in Smyths today.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

I had been looking at the maxi-cosi cabriofix - been €119.99 for the last few weeks, and was when I checked on Monday. Its now €139.99, so with the €10 off €50 will be the exact same price as if i had bought it before the "sale". I know there are savings to be had but its a little annoying when you were looking for a specific item.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

swervring wrote: »
    I had been looking at the maxi-cosi cabriofix - been €119.99 for the last few weeks, and was when I checked on Monday. Its now €139.99, so with the €10 off €50 will be the exact same price as if i had bought it before the "sale". I know there are savings to be had but its a little annoying when you were looking for a specific item.

They're shifting the old stock pre-Christmas

That's whats the sale is for ,fair play though for those that get a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

If you spend that they would give you the 20% off , they have done with me in the fonthill branch before , I'd say they're all the same

gizabeer wrote: »
    If you spend that they would give you the 20% off , they have done with me in the fonthill branch before , I'd say they're all the same

They're not all the same. I was in Carrickmines and they said I needed to go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thanks!

I got refused last year for a similar amount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Cant understand the vitriol against Smyths. I have three kids under 9, so have spent nigh on 10 years in the place. Smyths prices are consistently better than any online retailer (particularly in Lego). The odd thing might be a bit more expensive but on the whole, their prices are really competitive. They are an Irish success story with their expansion in Europe.

Some people just absolutely despise an Irish success story.

If begrudgery was an Olympic sport, those people would be shoeins for gold.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Some people just absolutely despise an Irish success story.

If begrudgery was an Olympic sport, those people would be shoeins for gold.

Or some people just pointing out the obvious so customers don't get mugged

Haters gonna hate
    You can’t please some people
    If you have kids and keep up on the prices of toys then this is a great saving when Christmas isn’t far away
    If people don’t like it why read the thread or bother commenting just move on

Not everybody checks prices carefully so it's worth pointing out to double check everything with these 'sales'

At least 2 posters had their eye on items and lo and behold the price was jacked up just before the 20% discount came in.

Henryhill2 wrote: »
    Not everybody checks prices carefully so it's worth pointing out to double check everything with these 'sales'

At least 2 posters had their eye on items and lo and behold the price was jacked up just before the 20% discount came in.

If people aren’t checking prices then they have too much money
    Simples
    Prices change constantly in stores like smyths and Argos and amazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Simples

ahh here I love a bargain myself, but if posters are highlighting where Smyths are upping a price before apply the 20% discount (which they have a track record of doing now for a number of years) then its fair game to highlight this, no?

ahh here I love a bargain myself, but if posters are highlighting where Smyths are upping a price before apply the 20% discount (which they have a track record of doing now for a number of years) then its fair game to highlight this, no?

They're not really upping a price per se, they're simply removing the current discount price that's currently on an item and bundling the item in with the overall store deal. It's pretty standard practice in most retail stores to not have discount deals overlap.

If the item is in the store for months at €50, that could already be a discounted price but people are assuming it's the standard price rather than an already discounted price.

I've picked up four or five things now in this sale and I think four items price didn't vary since the last few weeks whereas one essentially returned to its standard price of €15 more expensive than it has been for a while.

Sure highlight it, but to infer its bad practice or upping a price is not strictly true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Anki Overdrive Fast and Furious is already reduced from 200 to 115 - with the 20 voucher the total is 95. This looks like a great deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Strange that those posters didn't give details of the items.

Ps - don't believe everything people write.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I had my eye on an item, it was 10euro cheaper than two weeks ago, plus i got the tenner off, of course I just blew the saving on other items...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Just to balance it out a bit, I bought 2 baby car seats today and saved nearly €100, compared to any other similar shop I googled.
    I guess there's good and bad, but I'm very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

I had my eye on an item that was 99.99. At least 50 euro cheaper than anywhere else. With this deal it was a bargain! Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

jessus lads you be complaining about the great english stores next...peel back the €25 euro sticker and see the £15 price underneath and thats not the best example..

Mrs sgt pepper gets great bargains at smyths, if you go in often enough, you get know just how much some prices drop

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Strange that those posters didn't give details of the items.

Ps - don't believe everything people write.
    To be fair, I was one of those posters and I gave exact details of the item, the price before the sale and the price during the sale - Maxi Cosi Cabriofix was €119.99 the day before it started and during the sale it was €139.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Simples

or not enough time to constantly monitor prices.

Especially people with kids & fulltime jobs - they seem to be time deficient.

Advertisement