Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

C64 Mini

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think it might have been a :) or a ;) but unlikely to be a :eek: or :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

As obvious as Krusty the Clown and his glowing endorsement of the Canyonero.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

Mr E wrote: »
    Looking what? Mobile emojis don't work on Boards.

Ha I'm not even sure myself now ...but it looks OK from what minter has shown

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Well that's a game changer, if they've added boulder dash, people will buy this just to play it

Edit _dunno where the thumbs down thing came from, texting here
    Has anyone told Sparks43 yet? Dude will be first in line for one now :)
    (I'm holding out for the miniAtari800xl version myself ;))

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

geotrig wrote: »
    Jeff minter has had his hands on one the last couple of days and have to say its looking ��
    He seems to like it anyway
    https://twitter.com/the64computer?lang=en

https://twitter.com/llamasoft_ox/status/962052710592729089

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Nice to see Minter looking well, give or take a few creases. His interviews, even when he was young, were always more than a tad gonzoid. I was pre-drink, pre-drugs at the time, a wee nipper, reading them, so.. it was hard for me to umm.. 'tap' into where he was coming from.

They're releasing a joystick for two player games.

https://twitter.com/the64computer/status/964055700199690240

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Is there anything Amiga related planned ?

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Is there anything Amiga related planned ?

The Mist Ffpga replicates the Amiga. Not cheap though.

http://amigastore.eu/en/358-mist-13-plus-midi-fpga-computer.html

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I followed a rabbit hole of links on Facebook and came across this page of hidden gems on the C64.

https://subretro.wordpress.com/2016/08/23/my-favorite-c64-games/

Did you know there was a port of Terry Cavanagh's VVVVVV on the C64?
    There is also Bruce Lee 2 (which came out in 2015), a version of Super Crate Box (called Super Bread Box), a port of LuftrauserZ, and an updated version of IK+ called International Karate Ultimate which has remixed music and lots of extra levels.

The indie scene is alive and thriving on the C64... :)

• Advertisement

I followed a rabbit hole of links on Facebook and came across this page of hidden gems on the C64.

There is also Bruce Lee 2 (which came out in 2015), a version of Super Crate Box (called Super Bread Box), a port of LuftrauserZ, and an updated version of IK+ called International Karate Ultimate which has remixed music and lots of extra levels.

Pond software still knocking out physical release games, Psytronik too and cronosoft have just released their first C64 game.

Tiny compared to the Indie scene on the Spectrum though.(but then I would say that)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Tiny compared to the Indie scene on the Spectrum though.(but then I would say that)

Quality not quantity. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

I'd love to see how that runs on the C64. That game has consumed as much time of my life as the classic Doom titles have in the past couple of years. Even made me own levels for it :D

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Quality not quantity. ;)

Touché!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I know Canabalt has a great conversion to the C64 as well

Holy sh1t!
    There's a version of Super Hexagon as well!!!

Less than a week to go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

European Pre-orders shipped yesterday, so hopefully I'll have it in my hands on monday or tuesday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Anybody know what Amazon are like for pre-orders like this ?

Do they usually wait for the official release date before shipping or ship a day or two earlier ?

Looking forward to getting it :)

An intro video to the features (including how to add your own games, and how to update firmware):

Backer units have been received by now. The only real negative is that you can only load one additional game at a time (via USB). It has to be named a certain way for it to work. Since only one disk image at a time is allowed, multi disk games won't work.

There is a firmware update due soon that changes this, so hopefully that's sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Anybody know what Amazon are like for pre-orders like this ?

Do they usually wait for the official release date before shipping or ship a day or two earlier ?

Looking forward to getting it :)

Depends really. Sometimes it ships the day before sometimes on the date. My one x was shipped on the Tuesday and arrived Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Certainly sounds like proper USB loader support will need to be implemented before having a proper appreciation for the box.
    Hopefully it'll happen soon enough, but might be tempted to leave it aside until then.

The 8-Bit Guy reviews an early boxed unit.
    24 minutes long, brew a cuppa and tuck in. Seems to be an honest, 'guarded', review, which is refreshing.

Amalgam wrote: »
    The 8-Bit Guy reviews an early boxed unit.
    24 minutes long, brew a cuppa and tuck in. Seems to be an honest, 'guarded', review, which is refreshing.

WAY too many retro bloggers/youtubers etc. are clearly influenced by being given something for nothing, the bitt boy handheld being an example. So many glowing reviews and multiple retweets of the product were really very obvious. A lot of people burnt by the vega + are determined to like this C64 mini regardless.

It's nice when you do get seemingly balanced reviews of products.

Input lag would drive me nuts, to be honest. That's a show stopper. Could it be tied to his monitor (refresh rate) issues also?

Nothing in the post today, grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Does it support the joysticks of the day? Still have two joysticks that I used on my original 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

TinCool wrote: »
    Does it support the joysticks of the day? Still have two joysticks that I used on my original 64.

USB only.
    Could use a DB9 to USB module, but it sounds like there may be enough latency already there without them adding to it.
    Interesting to see how the joystick measures up to the likes of the Competition Pro or Zipstick. Doubt it'll come close build-wise TBH, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

It's available for pre-order again on Amazon -
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0764BK6L1

I just wish they'd hurry up and stick mine in the post :D

Official retail release day is tomorrow :)

Really looking forward to this , much more than the NES Mini from last year :)

• Advertisement

Woo, mine arrived today in work, very nice looking bit of kit, it will sit nicely under the tv in the sitting room.

Can't wait to get home now!! Gribblys Day Out is first on the list!!

Advertisement