Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Rugby Discussion II

Comments

I'd be surprised if a significant number of pro players aren't doping. It's incredibly easy to do and get away with. Look at the NFL, rampant there, and why not? If your livelyhood is built around getting selected, you'd be silly not to seek an edge.

Risk of cardiac arrest, hypogonadism to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,956 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Risk of cardiac arrest, hypogonadism to name a few.

That's vastly overstated. A properly administered regimen is perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What do we make of the Kimmage- Heaslip story? Kimmage implying heavily that Heaslip was doping.

Mod edit:Unfounded and possible libellous speculation removed.

What do you mean it’s bollocks exactly? Is it not pretty well explained what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What do you mean it’s bollocks exactly? Is it not pretty well explained what happened?

When I read the article I was thinking how did this make it into the paper, then I remembered it was Kimmage.

That's vastly overstated. A properly administered regimen is perfectly fine.

Well, I used to work in endocrinology (as a pharmacist) so I'll just attach the following two studies completed in the last year.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0376871615002094

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.116.026945

With regards to the steroids themselves, no track record of storage conditions, no authenticity or trace back to manufacturing facilities. It's not "perfectly fine" and it is foolish to suggest otherwise.

Well, JH's story doesn't make sense from a physiological sense. If he had all this really high testosterone levels, why did he only fail one test? It does not seem that he had a medical exemption.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Mod: This is going down one road, and it will lead to bans if people continue to speculate in this manner. Boards will not permit any material which could be libellous. If you want to speculate about individuals, head over to reddit or wherever else you get your kicks, but DO NOT do it here.

No more doping speculation without proof and citations.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Mod: This is going down one road, and it will lead to bans if people continue to speculate in this manner. Boards will not permit any material which could be libellous. If you want to speculate about individuals, head over to reddit or wherever else you get your kicks, but DO NOT do it here.

No more doping speculation without proof and citations.

Was just basing that off the Kimmage article. Sorry.

Well, I used to work in endocrinology (as a pharmacist) so I'll just attach the following two studies completed in the last year.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0376871615002094

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.116.026945

With regards to the steroids themselves, no track record of storage conditions, no authenticity or trace back to manufacturing facilities. It's not "perfectly fine" and it is foolish to suggest otherwise.

Well, JH's story doesn't make sense from a physiological sense. If he had all this really high testosterone levels, why did he only fail one test? It does not seem that he had a medical exemption.

On the first of January that year they changed the proportion from 6:1 or 5:1 to 4:1. This brought Heaslip under the threshold. Then when they retested the older tests they were found to be consistent with that explanation so it was never counted as a positive test.

salmocab wrote: »
    When I read the article I was thinking how did this make it into the paper, then I remembered it was Kimmage.

Just reading the conversation he transliterates between that and that woman and jaysus I feel sorry for the pair of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Vahaamahina has announced his retirement from international rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

On the first of January that year they changed the proportion from 6:1 or 5:1 to 4:1. This brought Heaslip under the threshold. Then when they retested the older tests they were found to be consistent with that explanation so it was never counted as a positive test.

https://twitter.com/sportslawMELB/status/1186231770275991552?s=19

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Folks, I don't have time to be on here checking for posts that speculate about a player doping. Another post deleted. If you don't have a link to published source information and you post anything in this thread that in any way speculates that a player might have doped, or has a case to answer, you will be banned. As an example, Burkie posted a twitter thread with clarifying information from a sports lawyer. Other posts that did not were deleted.

Final warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

As someone watching, I'm not too bothered about less provincial matches on Lions Tours. For the most part they're not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Three tests and five provincial matches is enough. Adding a sixth is neither here nor there and I think the rugby viewing public will cope.

On the flip side, I'm sure the Lions could play a provincial team minus x amount of players in the Premiership final if they really wanted to, so I'm not too sure how big a blow it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Stuart Hogg starts for Exeter this weekend. Seems like madness to me. He's only just back from the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Clegg wrote: »
    Stuart Hogg starts for Exeter this weekend. Seems like madness to me. He's only just back from the World Cup.

He's probably been on the go either in training, matched or injury rehab since September 2018. Quick road to burnout

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clegg wrote: »

Sums the Premiership up in terms of player welfare when the Union can't interject really.

I'd imagine you'll see a lot of England players reintroduced fairly snappy when they return too. It's quite terrifying really

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ah lads, Hogg is probably absolutely thirsting for it. He's had two weeks since his last game and another 10 days since his previous game before that. A player can play three matches in a month if he wants to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'd imagine Hogg just wants to get a new start kicked off.

Dave Rennie looks to be in line to replace Cheika in the Australian Head Coach role.
    Think he's taken Glasgow as far as he can.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Sums the Premiership up in terms of player welfare when the Union can't interject really.

I'd imagine you'll see a lot of England players reintroduced fairly snappy when they return too. It's quite terrifying really

And yet, despite that , they are in a SF and we're not.

Whilst I absolutely fully support the idea of not flogging players and doing right by them, I'm not sure that all the cotton wool we've been wrapping some of our players in has served us all that well tbh.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    And yet, despite that , they are in a SF and we're not.

Whilst I absolutely fully support the idea of not flogging players and doing right by them, I'm not sure that all the cotton wool we've been wrapping some of our players in has served us all that well tbh.

They have a massive pool, to choose from. We have significant drops in ability in key areas once you scratch the surface.

Losing key players hurts them a hell of a lot less than Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

They have a massive pool, to choose from. We have significant drops in ability in key areas once you scratch the surface.

Losing key players hurts them a hell of a lot less than Ireland.

Yet they've had basically a fully fit squad for all of 2019

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

jr86 wrote: »

Which would be the exception. Just look at the injury profile of Tuilagi and Vunipola, 2 huge players for England.

jr86 wrote: »

That's not the point, they can run the risk of injuries to players. Does not matter to them if they get injured or not, they can slot in others.

We cannot run that risk so can end up with key players getting fairly limited game time. At times we are (have to be) on the other extreme with players coming in somewhat cold.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

aloooof wrote: »
    Which would be the exception. Just look at the injury profile of Tuilagi and Vunipola, 2 huge players for England.

To be fair , I don't think that either of their injury histories has much to do with the management of their playing time.

Think it's more to do with them as individuals and the nature of their playing style.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    To be fair , I don't think that either of their injury histories has much to do with the management of their playing time.

Think it's more to do with them as individuals and the nature of their playing style.

They've been rushed back from injuries in the past; that's very much to do with management of their playing time.

Vunipola has even come out and said he'd accept a salary reduction in order to play fewer games.

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am not sure there is any evidence that Ireland's approach to resting players has any real effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    I am not sure there is any evidence that Ireland's approach to resting players has any real effect.

Gathering the necessary evidence to prove or disprove that would take a fair bit of work tbh. But, assuming for the sakenof argument it doesn't work, why would the IRFU persist with something that doesn't work? What would be the point?

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »

It certainly works at keeping the best Irish players in Ireland

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement