Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There would've been a push to get any NIQ players into the academy before the end of the year so that they'd be IQ under the 3 year rule as opposed to 5 years when the rule came into effect.

Nothing to do with that given when he arrived

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

So now Leinster and Munster have both signed school-leavers from overseas into their academy/sub-academy. It's starting to become a pattern now.

Hmmm. Same as the Munster guys, if this is a cool story about how this random guy ended up here, then great. If we're actively scouting young guys abroad, then no, I'm not happy about that.

Hmmm. Same as the Munster guys, if this is a cool story about how this random guy ended up here, then great. If we're actively scouting young guys abroad, then no, I'm not happy about that.

This seems to have happened in 2016, so also seems to suggest its not related to the new eligibility laws.

It's very concerning. It's also completely unnecessary for Leinster to be doing this when there are so many tighthead prospects.

I hope it's as you said, a guy who has taken a chance in coming here to learn due to the quality of the setup.

EDIT: I wonder if Greg McWilliams was involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

If your setting out to scout school players overseas I doubt America would be your first port of call, especially Hawaii.

My guess is the lads first option didn’t pan out, decided to give rugby a try, got in touch with Leinster with a highlights clip and was invited over for a trial. I doubt your going to lure many elite schools players over to Ireland with a sub-academy deal, especially when they can get a full academy spot down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

baas baa wrote: »
    If your setting out to scout school players overseas I doubt America would be your first port of call, especially Hawaii.

My guess is the lads first option didn’t pan out, decided to give rugby a try, got in touch with Leinster with a highlights clip and was invited over for a trial. I doubt your going to lure many elite schools players over to Ireland with a sub-academy deal, especially when they can get a full academy spot down the road.

Quick Google shows he was given a scholarship to a college in Missouri for rugby in 2015 but must've fallen through at some stage or he changed his mind.

http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football/upgrade-in-grades-shows-at-kahuku/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Seems odd, I wonder who is funding this. He’s hardly getting enough being in sub academy and playing for Belvo to live on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

This seems to have happened in 2016, so also seems to suggest its not related to the new eligibility laws.

It's very concerning. It's also completely unnecessary for Leinster to be doing this when there are so many tighthead prospects.

I hope it's as you said, a guy who has taken a chance in coming here to learn due to the quality of the setup.

EDIT: I wonder if Greg McWilliams was involved?

The following paragraph from Murray Kinsella's article would suggest it was a scouting exercise:
    "His first foray into rugby came in his final year of high school, when he began playing in the front row and helped Kahuku to a state championship in a second sport. Despite having played only a handful of rugby games and still being 18, he was then picked in the USA U20 squad for the 2016 World Junior Trophy in Zimbabwe.

Having been identified as a player with rich potential, Salanoa was helped to arrange a week-long trial with Leinster in late 2016 and he subsequently returned to Ireland to join Leinster’s sub-academy in September of last year."

So the kid has only been in Ireland since September 2017, and was targeted in late 2016 after being seen in the U20 World Cup.

Given that everyone was expecting the eligibility rule change to be announced in early 2017 it made sense to get an early start. It is exactly the same as the two signings of young South African kids to Munster at the end of last year.

For those that couldn't see a reason why an overseas player would be targeted at such a young age, the following paragraph would cover that, simply Ireland can't produce that many athletes of that caibre:
    "The Hawaii native is understood to be a superb athlete, standing 6ft tall and tipping the scales at over 120kg, having dropped weight since his arrival into the Leinster set-up.

With a max bench press of 180kg and a squat of around 240kg, as well as impressive acceleration, it will be intriguing to follow how Salanoa continues to convert his athletic ability and American footballing prowess onto the rugby pitch."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

“Was helped to arrange a trial with Leinster” that doesn’t read like Leinster went looking for him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The following paragraph from Murray Kinsella's article would suggest it was a scouting exercise:
    "His first foray into rugby came in his final year of high school, when he began playing in the front row and helped Kahuku to a state championship in a second sport. Despite having played only a handful of rugby games and still being 18, he was then picked in the USA U20 squad for the 2016 World Junior Trophy in Zimbabwe.

Having been identified as a player with rich potential, Salanoa was helped to arrange a week-long trial with Leinster in late 2016 and he subsequently returned to Ireland to join Leinster’s sub-academy in September of last year."

So the kid has only been in Ireland since September 2017, and was targeted in late 2016 after being seen in the U20 World Cup.

Given that everyone was expecting the eligibility rule change to be announced in early 2017 it made sense to get an early start. It is exactly the same as the two signings of young South African kids to Munster at the end of last year.
    All that really says is that somebody arranged a trial for him with Leinster. It sounds like that somebody was stateside based and may have Leinster links.

There's no way that Leinster would scout a player for the sub-academy. Not least because that's hardly a great deal.

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    “Was helped to arrange a trial with Leinster” that doesn’t read like Leinster went looking for him at all.

"Having been identified as a player with rich potential, Salanoa was helped to arrange a week-long trial with Leinster,"
    Somebody identified him, sounds like he was spotted at the U20 World Cup and they approached him,
    By helping him I'd bet that means they paid his expenses to send him over for a trial.

He was on trial here in 2016. The eligibility rules hadn't been sorted at that stage. It's not related to that.

He's not the first strong athlete from a non-rugby backround Leinster have taken a chance on and brought in from overseas. I trained with another a while ago who ended up leaving before getting a deal. We'll see if the same is true for this guy or not.

He was on trial here in 2016. The eligibility rules hadn't been sorted at that stage. It's not related to that.

He's not the first strong athlete from a non-rugby backround Leinster have taken a chance on and brought in from overseas. I trained with another a while ago who ended up leaving before getting a deal. We'll see if the same is true for this guy or not.

You're either really naive or simply in denial, the rules were clearly about to change, everybody knew that at least in early 2016.
    Professional rugby clubs would certainly have had their scouts working overtime in the last year or so, and it's not going to change now that the rules have changed, it will be more likely that clubs will sign 18 year olds in the hope they will be good enough when they become eligible by the time they are 23 and getting a run with the senior team.

You're either really naive or simply in denial, the rules were clearly about to change, everybody knew that at least in early 2016.
    Professional rugby clubs would certainly have had their scouts working overtime in the last year or so, and it's not going to change now that the rules have changed, it will be more likely that clubs will sign 18 year olds in the hope they will be good enough when they become eligible by the time they are 23 and getting a run with the senior team.
    You're missing the point that a sub-academy place is hardly any kind of commitment from Leinster. Which means he had to come looking and that's what he got. If Leinster were actively looking for someone it would be at a higher level.

Haha. I am neither. I know what happened and it was watched closely on here.

Yeah, in the last year or so. This is a guy who came to Leinster in 2016. You are making a massive assumption based on 0 evidence that it had anything to do with the change to Reg 8 that was announced a year later.

As for clubs signing 18 year olds... they already do that. Our provinces though never did that in the past and still haven't really done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

"Having been identified as a player with rich potential, Salanoa was helped to arrange a week-long trial with Leinster,"
    Somebody identified him, sounds like he was spotted at the U20 World Cup and they approached him,
    By helping him I'd bet that means they paid his expenses to send him over for a trial.

So you’re saying he was identified by Leinster and then they helped him to arrange a week long trial with themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

You're missing the point abit. Regs were maybe changing but it wasnt known from early 2016 that there was going to be a change and the irish provinces dont really have "scouts" especially ones abroad. And it will change a good bit with a 5 year tie in not 3 because signing 18 year olds is risky enough with them being irish never mind bringing over seas and irish provinces primary role is to develop irish players which wont change so we wont be signing more 18 year olds
    And clubs signing 18 year olds from abroad... they already do that. Our provinces though dont, have never done that and wont pretty much in the future either

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You're missing the point that a sub-academy place is hardly any kind of commitment from Leinster. Which means he had to come looking and that's what he got. If Leinster were actively looking for someone it would be at a higher level.

That is precisely why this arrangement is favourable and which is why it may become the norm in the coming years to sign a few 18 year old overseas players.
    They will come a lot cheaper, and would be easy to off-load if don't progress, and on the upside if they do work out to be a prospect they will be Irish eligible by the time they hit 23, which is roughly when you'd expect academy players to start breaking into a senior team.

It's a bit off side business besides the normal academy business, if it doesn't work out it's not the end of the world, but it will be going on in every other club, so it may grow the depth in the squads without so much dependence on local talent, such as key positions like prop and lock and number 8.

That is precisely why this arrangement is favourable and which is why it may become the norm in the coming years to sign a few 18 year old overseas players.
    They will come a lot cheaper, and would be easy to off-load if don't progress, and on the upside if they do work out to be a prospect they will be Irish eligible by the time they hit 23, which is roughly when you'd expect academy players to start breaking into a senior team.

It's a bit off side business besides the normal academy business, if it doesn't work out it's not the end of the world, but it will be going on in every other club, so it may grow the depth in the squads without so much dependence on local talent, such as key positions like prop and lock and number 8.
    This is better suited to the academies thread not the Leinster thread.but this arrangement isnt favourable. it wont become the norm as the academies are about developing irish players and its not likely that these guys will be and while they will come cheaper but at what cost to other irish players who lose out. These signings are very different to exiles being added to academies like sammy arnold, alex wootton who have irish parents.

Haha. I am neither. I know what happened and it was watched closely on here.

Yeah, in the last year or so. This is a guy who came to Leinster in 2016. You are making a massive assumption based on 0 evidence that it had anything to do with the change to Reg 8 that was announced a year later.

As for clubs signing 18 year olds... they already do that. Our provinces though never did that in the past and still haven't really done it.

This kid was approached at 18 (or very soon after turning 19) and signed before the rules came into effect, so in effect by the time he hits 23 he will be Irish Qualified, but we'll have to see if any 18 year olds do begin to be signed into sub academies from now on as the rules have now just come into effect.

• Advertisement

This kid was approached at 18 (or very soon after turning 19) and signed before the rules came into effect, so in effect by the time he hits 23 he will be Irish Qualified, but we'll have to see if any 18 year olds do begin to be signed into sub academies from now on as the rules have now just come into effect.

Well let’s wait until he’s actually signed. At the moment he’s an AIL guy in a very large and very loosely defined sub academy system.

But there is no link yet with the new laws. That’s serious jumping to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

And clubs signing 18 year olds from abroad... they already do that. Our provinces though dont, have never done that and wont pretty much in the future either

But Munster have signed 2 South African 18 year olds to their academy straight out of school.

Unless you're talking about full senior contracts which I agree won't happen. Considering pretty much all players for the provinces go through the academy for at least a year or two before getting contracted for the senior side. But that's more to do with the setup of other clubs, clubs in England start their full academy from the age of 15/16 which is generally school leavers age unless they go on to do A levels, and have regular underage teams and training programs from 13.

Interestingly there's actually a company called PlayRSA that call themselves the French Rugby Academy that help to bring SA players over to France and get them a spot in French team academies for like 7500 euro.

But Munster have signed 2 South African 18 year olds to their academy straight out of school.

Unless you're talking about full senior contracts which I agree won't happen. Considering pretty much all players for the provinces go through the academy for at least a year or two before getting contracted for the senior side. But that's more to do with the setup of other clubs, clubs in England start their full academy from the age of 15/16 which is generally school leavers age unless they go on to do A levels, and have regular underage teams and training programs from 13.

Interestingly there's actually a company called PlayRSA that call themselves the French Rugby Academy that help to bring SA players over to France and get them a spot in French team academies for like 7500 euro.
    They may be training with academy but nothing has been announced that theyve signed to it. They may well be in sub academy at the moment.
    We have regular underage teams and training programmes from 15/16 with players identified from the age of 15 when kids are playing under 16 youths rugby/junior schools.

I thought I had a problem with this when Munster did it, but actually I'm totally fine with this now /s

Much like the doping scandal, the IRFU need to set out their stall. I'm not sure if this kid is after being poached out of school (Has it been confirmed that this is what happened with the two saffer lads?) or if he has come over here on his own bat and the distinction is important as far as discussing the branches approach to academy population..

However the net result is the same and the difficulties for young players coming out of schools here is no different regardless of whether he was poached or not. It's extremely important not to disenfranchise the schools and clubs producing players for the academy by relying on international sources. It will kill the game at grass roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Very peculiar given the level of production currently in Leinster. The devil may be in the details but the overall principle is similar. It's a murky situation and I'm not happy to see it.

Although, as with the SA players, it's a professional game and teams are going to do what they can within the regulations to get an edge.

From the way it was described on The 42, it's clear to me that he approached Leinster through a third party. There's no way, Leinster go 'poaching' players with the 'carrot' of amateur rugby and no commitment to even put them in the academy. Worst sales approach ever. :)

He might make it, but the world is littered with big lads who could never make the grade as a professional tighthead prop.

Buer wrote: »
    Very peculiar given the level of production currently in Leinster. The devil may be in the details but the overall principle is similar. It's a murky situation and I'm not happy to see it.

Although, as with the SA players, it's a professional game and teams are going to do what they can within the regulations to get an edge.

True to a point. I think you need to have a slightly different approach with sports.

I'm of the opinion that the provinces success is driven by their player base being primarily local. It's what brings me out to support Leinster. If I was a Montpellier supporter looking at 5 starting French players I wouldn't bother. I've no interest in premiership soccer for the same reason, I have no identity with those teams like I do with Leinster.

Jonny Holland said as much in his AMA. Playing for another club and you're just playing rugby but playing for Munster meant everything to him and he gave it that bit more. It's why I think the provinces have been so successful in Europe despite often having less stellar squads.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    From the way it was described on The 42, it's clear to me that he approached Leinster through a third party. There's no way, Leinster go 'poaching' players with the 'carrot' of amateur rugby and no commitment to even put them in the academy. Worst sales approach ever. :)

He might make it, but the world is littered with big lads who could never make the grade as a professional tighthead prop.

If that's the case then what was Murray Kinsella's motives in publishing the story if the kid is completely amateur?

If that's the case then what was Murray Kinsella's motives in publishing the story if the kid is completely amateur?

mouse-cursor-png-mouse-cursor-png-256.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

He is sub academy and played for a Leinster development side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement