Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I've just seen Leinster smash up too many teams at home in big games to be worried about a win there. Shnake an lbp over there and we're laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I've just seen Leinster smash up too many teams at home in big games to be worried about a win there. Shnake an lbp over there and we're laughing.

Yep. I don't really think anyone should be beating this Leinster side at home. A BP away to Glasgow is a serious marker imo, and the backline has Lowe and Ringrose to return to it.

Exeter really have made things difficult by winning over in Montpellier though. Suppose the benefit is by round 6 hopefully the rest a few players. Or just Nadolo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Scarlets smashed us pretty good last may.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

But when you get this pattern (I know it's way too early to call it that yet) of the player at 10 doing a fine job for months and the other guy being dropped in their and not impressing, how long do you keep that up? How do you keep Ross Byrne motivated if he's essentially being treated as a placeholder?
    I suspect we have to start rotating. With Carbery injured currently, that's not an issue and when the 6N starts it won't be an issue either. But Ross Byrne can't be on the pitch week after week either.

Between Carbery's return from injury and the 6N, I suspect he'll get some game time at 10. There won't be too many opportunities to get him match fit otherwise.

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Scarlets smashed us pretty good last may.

Yeah fair point.

• Advertisement

Very impressed with Larmour and Ross Byrne yesterday. Neither of them are going to accept being second string players for much longer imo.

Byrne especially has been going from strength to strength imo, reckon he'll be in Ireland squads in the next 12 months or so. You'd wonder what his thinking is, wait it out for Sexton to decline/retire, or make a move to be first choice soon. He's getting loads of gametime but he's not starting the big games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Very impressed with Larmour and Ross Byrne yesterday. Neither of them are going to accept being second string players for much longer imo.

Byrne especially has been going from strength to strength imo, reckon he'll be in Ireland squads in the next 12 months or so. You'd wonder what his thinking is, wait it out for Sexton to decline/retire, or make a move to be first choice soon. He's getting loads of gametime but he's not starting the big games.

I think Ross Byrne will want to find out where he is with all fit an available before he makes up his mind.

Carberry has been playing a lot at 15 for Leinster but is seen as a 10 by the national set up. If all fit and available Carberry is wearing the 22 shirt Byrne needs to have a long think about if he wants to stay in Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Byrne has another problem in Carbery. I know he's been going well, but from interviews given by Cullen, Lancaster and Schmidt, they all see Joey as a 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Byrne is 22 years old and getting tonnes of game time. He's a decade younger than Sexton and won't have to wait too long for Sexton to depart the scene at which point it's a straight call between himself and Carbery. That's a battle he won't be shying away from and would back himself in, I'd imagine.

If he left at this point, it would be an odd move. Carbery would get significant game time at 10 and the opportunity for Byrne might never come around again.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Byrne has already benefitted from being the backup to Sexton this season with that start against Montpellier. Anyone 2nd choice to Sexton will get some meaningful game time unless Sexton becomes more durable.

Probably a mutually beneficial relationship as well if Byrne’s quality means Sexton doesn’t have to push himself to play through injury in future.

• Advertisement

Byrne has already benefitted from being the backup to Sexton this season with that start against Montpellier. Anyone 2nd choice to Sexton will get some meaningful game time unless Sexton becomes more durable.

Probably a mutually beneficial relationship as well if Byrne’s quality means Sexton doesn’t have to push himself to play through injury in future.

But what do they then do with Carbery?

It's not a problem yet as Carbery is getting time at 10 for Ireland despite playing 15. But if there comes a time when his lack of playing 10 effects his selection in the squad he may have to consider his options.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Let him contest for the 10 and 15 jerseys. He could well win either of them. How you fit Larmour/Carberry/Byrne into the same team long term is an interesting question, might be Larmour at 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ireland have an issue at 10, and a Carbery issue, Leinster don't.

AdamD wrote: »
    Ireland have an issue at 10, and a Carbery issue, Leinster don't.

But if Carbery wants to be Ireland's future 10, he has a Leinster issue!

Edit - and if Byrne wants to follow in the footsteps of Steenson, and become a very well paid 10 for a successful club abroad given the national depth at his position, he too has a Leinster problem.

People need to relax.

What really impressed me about Larmour, apart from his running, was his awareness of what was going on around him. He made that line break near he end of the game and probably would have scored himself, but he drew the defender and passed it on to RoL who had an easier run in. There are more experienced player who wouldn't have done that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Byrne has started 8 of Leinster's 11 games this season, and come off the bench in the rest. Last season, he got 11 starts and 9 sub appearances.

He'd be mad to go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I just love that there are arguments to be had over who starts for us in numerous positions. It's a bloody good sign. The only positions that are pretty much untouchable are 3, 10, 12 and 13. There's genuine competition to some degree or other everywhere else. And 3 of those 4 untouchables are properly world class players. Ringrose being the only exception there.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I just love that there are arguments to be had over who starts for us in numerous positions. It's a bloody good sign. The only positions that are pretty much untouchable are 3, 10, 12 and 13. There's genuine competition to some degree or other everywhere else. And 3 of those 4 untouchables are properly world class players. Ringrose being the only exception there.

Henshaw, world class? Dunno..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

molloyjh wrote: »

You can probably add 7 to that. As good as VDF is, when O'Brien is in this sort of form and staying fit, he's not far off being Ireland's best player.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Question pretty soon is who starts in the second row, is there the possibility of Toner being benched to accommodate Ryan, think Fardy is fairly nailed on at this stage, he's been a revelation.

On his day he can be.

In games against France and New Zealand he certainly was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭scott1974

Eh, Noel (bone-shaker) Reid...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

stephen_n wrote: »
    Question pretty soon is who starts in the second row, is there the possibility of Toner being benched to accommodate Ryan, think Fardy is fairly nailed on at this stage, he's been a revelation.

Not yet but the day will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I've actually been reasonably impressed with Reid this season, wouldn't be worried about seeing him in Europe Henshaw happened to be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Jordi Murphy had a video of Carbery in a cast on his Instagram, be interesting to hear whether they operated on it or not, and what they reckon the timeline will be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Jordi Murphy had a video of Carbery in a cast on his Instagram, be interesting to hear whether they operated on it or not, and what they reckon the timeline will be.

He'd surgery on it yesterday week iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

AdamD wrote: »
    I've actually been reasonably impressed with Reid this season, wouldn't be worried about seeing him in Europe Henshaw happened to be out.

Reid is a classy attacker. Lovely passer of the ball. Games like Friday when we have a lot of front foot ball you see him at is best.

I would have worries in a game where he is required to tackle a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Clegg wrote: »
    Byrne has another problem in Carbery. I know he's been going well, but from interviews given by Cullen, Lancaster and Schmidt, they all see Joey as a 10.

I think there is just a bit of lip service going on here, just can't see Cullen giving up on Byrne at 10. Also Cullen has experience as a player of being not included in Ireland plans, think he was a better 2nd row than Donnacha O'Callaghan, of course I know he played abroad for a good few years but still

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement