Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Control Room Operator/Call Taker competition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Xenji wrote: »
    Texts went out to people today for pulse in Castlebar, they had to do a separate campaign from the clerical officer campaign as so many people were rejecting the position, you could reject it 3 times and still stay on the panel.

I don't understand!

I selected Castlebar for my first choice and Galway for my second, in the email/message for the familiarisation material it stated the following.
    You will have until 12 noon on Wednesday 24th January 2018 to complete and submit your aptitude tests.

So where is the separate campaign you're talking about? I only received one e-mail/message on PublicJobs.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

job seeker wrote: »
    That's true, that it would be an advantage during the interview stage. Although, you'd be still required to undergo the same recruitment process as everyone else, to become a Garda and I assume that you'd be viewed as a clerical officer. As this is essentially is C.O. position.
    Oh absolutely agree, it wont let you in via the back door. You still have to apply like everyone else but if you successfully make it to interview you would have a lot more to talk about if you needed to demonstrate competency in dealing with stressful situations or a difficult member of the public etc.

I worked in an another emergency service control room and regularly spoke to these guys on the phone. They always seemed to enjoy the job and where a pleasure to deal with. Grade 3 even with 25% shift and sunday pay is about average for this type of job at entry level, there will be increments and more then likely overtime available. No one joins the public sector to be rich.

Oh absolutely agree, it wont let you in via the back door. You still have to apply like everyone else but if you successfully make it to interview you would have a lot more to talk about if you needed to demonstrate competency in dealing with stressful situations or a difficult member of the public etc.

Yes, that's what I assumed that the OP mean't. But it most diffidently would be an advantage in the interview stage. No doubt about that!
    I worked in an another emergency service control room and regularly spoke to these guys on the phone. They always seemed to enjoy the job and where a pleasure to deal with. Grade 3 even with 25% shift and sunday pay is about average for this type of job at entry level, there will be increments and more then likely overtime available. No one joins the public sector to be rich.

Agree, Although it offers opportunities in other departments withing the P.S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nilescraneo

I think it clearly does. If someone wants to be a member of ags and shows such an interest in the job they where willing to take a job in a garda control room taking 999 calls from the public and other emergency services and dispatching ags vehicles to calls. It would give that person plenty to talk about at interview and would give them a wide view of the job.

Instead of: "I wanna be gard cos i like the cars and stuff, I watch road wars on repeat to learn the lingo"

It really doesn't. This is a CO position. If you used this as an opportunity to showcase your desire to be a Garda at interview they'd rightfully ask why didn't you join the Garda Reserve? as that would give you the closest possible experience to what it's like being in the guards, as you actually are out working with them.

I think if you're using this role as a stepping stone, you are wasting your time. At the rate the guards are recruiting at the moment you don't even really need a stepping stone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

It really doesn't. This is a CO position. If you used this as an opportunity to showcase your desire to be a Garda at interview they'd rightfully ask why didn't you join the Garda Reserve? as that would give you the closest possible experience to what it's like being in the guards, as you actually are out working with them.

I think if you're using this role as a stepping stone, you are wasting your time. At the rate the guards are recruiting at the moment you don't even really need a stepping stone anyway.

Sure we'll agree to disagree. It worked for a number of us already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I don't understand!

I selected Castlebar for my first choice and Galway for my second, in the email/message for the familiarisation material it stated the following.

So where is the separate campaign you're talking about? I only received one e-mail/message on PublicJobs.ie.

They were offering people positions in Pulse from the 2016 Clerical Officer Campaign up till December, they advertised the separate campaign last month as they were struggling to get people to fill the positions as you could turn down an offer to work in Pulse and still keep your position on the Clerical Officer campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭weadick

I think it clearly does. If someone wants to be a member of ags and shows such an interest in the job they where willing to take a job in a garda control room taking 999 calls from the public and other emergency services and dispatching ags vehicles to calls. It would give that person plenty to talk about at interview and would give them a wide view of the job.

Instead of: "I wanna be gard cos i like the cars and stuff, I watch road wars on repeat to learn the lingo"

It's not a 'stepping stone' in the sense that there is no progression from this position into the guards. Similar thing happened when they brought a clerical grade into the prison service and lots of people thought they would have a great chance of becoming prison officers out of it but when the prison officer comp came about it meant diddley squat - they were just civil servants who happened to work within the system.

Xenji wrote: »
    They were offering people positions in Pulse from the 2016 Clerical Officer Campaign up till December, they advertised the separate campaign last month as they were struggling to get people to fill the positions as you could turn down an offer to work in Pulse and still keep your position on the Clerical Officer campaign.

Ah I get you! That's mad! Thanks very much for clearing that up for me though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

EDIT: This position however, would enable you to transfer within the P.S. which is a benefit!

What if someone transfers into this job from an existing PS job? Would they be able to start at a point on the salary scale equal to what they are currently earning?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I got my email with the material on my way to work yesterday so haven't had a chance to look at it. It sounds a lot more complex than the CO material from late last year. I take it I should take some time, sit at a table etc to complete it? Especially the typing part?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 employ me

hdowney wrote: »
    I got my email with the material on my way to work yesterday so haven't had a chance to look at it. It sounds a lot more complex than the CO material from late last year. I take it I should take some time, sit at a table etc to complete it? Especially the typing part?

Hi hdowney,

Yes I would. When doing the call handling part especially as you will need some peace and quiet to focus.

What if someone transfers into this job from an existing PS job? Would they be able to start at a point on the salary scale equal to what they are currently earning?

That I'm not too sure. I would assume that you continue on with the same salary. But I could be totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭themom

I also received my email yesterday.

I am having trouble accessing the practice tests though.It won't open with Word.

Anyone else having this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 employ me

themom wrote: »
    I also received my email yesterday.

I am having trouble accessing the practice tests though.It won't open with Word.

Anyone else having this problem?

Hi themom,

The familiarisation booklet opens in word but the links within to the tests open in your browser (do make sure you have pop-ups enabled).

Thanks employ me.

I will try that. It just tells me the site is not valid,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nilescraneo

That I'm not too sure. I would assume that you continue on with the same salary. But I could be totally wrong.

You can't 'transfer' as this is an open competition and not an internal, current serving civil servant only one, you have to go through this competition like everyone else. I would assume you'd start at whatever increment you are currently at if you are a serving civil servant.

Contact the person in charge of the campaign to clarify though, their details are in the email you got on public jobs with the familiarisation material.

Thanks employ me.

I will try that. It just tells me the site is not valid,.

Worked grand for me also! Did you try a different internet browser?

What browsers are ye using?

What browsers are ye using?

Google Chrome.

Me too and I just rang a friend to see if she could get into the link and she can't either.

• Advertisement

Me too and I just rang a friend to see if she could get into the link and she can't either.

That's very unusual. Try a different browser.. It's very difficult to advice if you're not in front of the actual PC/laptop.

I cannot figure it out at all.Have tried different browsers too.

I am going to cry. Not going to get very far if I can't even open the damn link.

I cannot figure it out at all.Have tried different browsers too.

I am going to cry. Not going to get very far if I can't even open the damn link.

I just went back from the very start again! The link doesn't seem to work for me now. It's saying the following.
    The site reports that the request is not valid.

Is this what's happening you?

That is exactly what I am getting and I have just been onto a friend of mine who is in IT and he had a look remotely.He said it is the site is the problem not my end.

PHEW!

That is exactly what I am getting and I have just been onto a friend of mine who is in IT and he had a look remotely.He said it is the site is the problem not my end.

PHEW!

Yeah, it is a problem with the site itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

You can't 'transfer' as this is an open competition and not an internal, current serving civil servant only one, you have to go through this competition like everyone else. I would assume you'd start at whatever increment you are currently at if you are a serving civil servant.

Would that apply to a serving public servant also?

Civil servant, public servant.. what’s the difference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Would anyone by any chance have the documents that were on publicjobs initially they could send me please?

It was initially just a basic application form with your personal details Hana98

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Oh I was thinking they had a job spec or something there too.

• Advertisement

Oh there was but I don't have it sorry.

How are you all getting on with the practice tests?

Advertisement