Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread III: Les Miserables SEE MOD WARNING POST #1924 + #2755

• 01-01-2018 2:22pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Continued from here

Suggestions for a thread subtitle welcome below.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Les Kiss of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

In a state of Ruan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I go to all that trouble, only to find that it's the last post on a closed thread. :(

So being a bit bored in the Christmas aftermath, I made the following table. It's complete as far as selections go, but not so complete with injury situations. Anything left blank can be filled in later if the information is to hand. The positions are loosely based on where they've started, I haven't differentiated between TH and LH props for example and if a player is a Wing/FB, I've lsited them as a wing in the understanding that they can switch.

S = Start, B = Bench, U = Unavailable, (a) = Academy player.
    Bold = Home, Red = Loss, Green = Draw.

Player|Pos|01/09|09/09|15/09|22/09|30/09|06/10|13/10|22/10|28/10|04/11|24/11|01/12|10/12|15/12|23/12|01/01
    Opp||Che|Ben|Sca|Dra|Zeb|Con|Was|LaR|Lei|Kin|Ben|Dra|Har|Har|Con|Mun
    Ah You|P|B|B|B|S|S|B|B|B|S|U|U|U|U|U|U|S
    Andrew|H|B|B|B|B|S|B|B|||S|S|S|B|B|S|U
    Best|H|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|B|S|U|U|B|U|U|S|U
    Black|P|B|S|||S||B|S|S|B|S|B|S|S||B
    Bowe|W|S|S|B|S||S|B|S|S|B|S|S|S|U|U|U
    Browne|L||B|||S|||||||||||
    Busby|W||||||||||||||||
    Cairns|SH|||||||||S|||||||
    Cave|C|B|||S|S|||S||S|B||||S|S
    Coetzee|No. 8|S|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U
    Cooney|SH|S|S|S||S|S|S|B||S|S|B|S|S|S|S
    Dalton (a)|L|||||||||||B|B|U|U|U|U
    Deysel|F|S|S|||S|S|S||S|||||||S
    Diack|L|S|S|B|S||B|S|B|B|B|U|U|U|U|S|B
    Gilroy|W|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|S|S|S|S|S|S|S
    Hall (a)|F|||||||||||S|||||
    Henderson|L||||B|S|S|S|S|S|U|U||S|S|S|U
    Henry|F|S|B|S|S||S||S|S|S||B|B|S|U|U
    Herbst|P|S|S|S|B|B|S|S|S||S|||S|S|S|B
    Herring|H|S|S|S|S||S|S|S|B||B||S|S||S
    Herron|OH||||B||||||||||||
    Jackson|OH|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U
    Jones (a)|F|||||||||||B|S|||S|S
    Kane|P|||||||||B|B|S|S|B|B|B|
    Leali'fano|OH|S|S|S||S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S||S
    Ludik|W|S|S|S||S|B|S||B|S|S|S|B|S|S|U
    Lyttle|C||||B|B||||||||||B|S
    Luke Marshall|C||B|S||S|S|S|B|S|U|U|U|U|U|U|U
    The other Marshall|SH|||B|S||B|B|S|||B|S|B|B|B|B
    McBurney|H|||||B|||||B|||||S|B
    McCall|P|S||S|S||S|S|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|S
    McCloskey|C|S|S|S|S||S|S|S|S|U|U|S|S|S||S
    McPhillips|OH|||||||||||||||B|B
    Nelson|W|B|B|B|S|B|B|B||B|B|S|B|B|B|S|
    O'Connor|L|S||S|S||S||S|S|S|S|S|S|S||S
    O'Hagan|P||||||||||||||||
    Olding|C|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U
    Owens|W||||||||||||||||
    Patterson|C||||||||||||||||
    Payne|FB|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U
    Piutau|FB|S|||S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S|S||S
    Rea|L|B|S|S|B|S||B|B||S|||B|B|B|B
    Reidy|F|B|S|S||S|B|S|S|S|S||S|S|B|S|U
    Ross|F|||B|S|||B|||B|S||||S|
    Shanahan|SH|B|B||B|B|||||||||||
    Simpson|P|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U|U
    Stewart (a)|SH|||||||||B|B||||||
    Stockdale|W||S|S|S||S|S|B|S|U|U||S|S|S|U
    Timoney (a)|No. 8||||S|B||||||S|S|S|S||S
    Treadwell|L||S|S||B|S|S|S|B|S|S|S|S|S||S
    Trimble|W|S|S|S||S|||S||S|B|B||B|S|B
    Van der Merwe|P|||||||||||B|S|||B|
    Warwick|P||B|B|B|B|B||B|B|S|B|B|B|B|S|

There are some players who haven't started a game all season and I have no idea why. I'm sure it's injury related but there's only so much searching I can do before I bcome bored silly. :)

E&OE ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Its a joke, an embarrassment. Why are we celebrating a win against 14 Munster men. 

I am really losing the will to live when we have Motm and best players are Leinster men!

$ausage$ wrote: »
    Its a joke, an embarrassment. Why are we celebrating a win against 14 Munster men.

I am really losing the will to live when we have Motm and best players are Leinster men!
    So much better when it was Saffers. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If the coaching setup is celebrating I will eat my hat.

Whoever did the half time talk should pat themselves the back but the first half was unacceptable all together.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I've seen very little celebrating. I think most Ulster fans are just glad to get the win right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The first half was a joke and an embarrassment. The second half showed some balls.

Cave was my MOTM, followed by Gilroy, Cooney and Lyttle. Rea did well from the bench as did the unsung Callum Black.

I don't know why Cave isn't playing every week at 13. So what if he fell out with the coach, we need him, so suck it up and play him!

I reckon John Cooney must be world class at this stage. Constantly getting man of the match awards playing behind that pack takes some doing!!!

Quick word for the back row in the second half. Jones (20), Timoney (21), Rea (22). When you think about it in the cold light of day it's impressive that we're winning any matches with such a young and inexperienced back row.

But yes, the first half, WTF...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

bilston wrote: »
    I reckon John Cooney must be world class at this stage. Constantly getting man of the match awards playing behind that pack takes some doing!!!

I think he is putting himself into the frame for an ireland call up and potentially getting the 21 shirt.

If the younger guys in the ulster team who are getting gametime currently can stay healthy along with the players already signed, that offers a bit of hope for ulster going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Cooney is putting himself in the frame for a squad call up. Nothing more. What he does in camp will define whether he makes match day squads.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    Cooney is putting himself in the frame for a squad call up. Nothing more. What he does in camp will define whether he makes match day squads.

The world class comment was tongue in cheek. It was a reflection of the fact he's playing so well behind a pack that was taken the cleaners for large parts of tonight and in previous games. Put him behind a dominant pack and it would be interesting to see how he goes.

How would he have done behind the 2012/2013 Ulster pack? Which coincidentally (or not) was probably when Ruan was at his very very best for Ulster...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

molloyjh wrote: »

Yes, we know how it works. But if he performs in camp the way he's playing for Ulster this season, the point stands. He has goal kicking advantage over Marmion and McGrath too. Great to see him start to realise his potential and a bit of competition at scrumhalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Zzippy wrote: »
    Yes, we know how it works. But if he performs in camp the way he's playing for Ulster this season, the point stands. He has goal kicking advantage over Marmion and McGrath too. Great to see him start to realise his potential and a bit of competition at scrumhalf.

Probably the healthiest we've been at scrumhalf for a while isnt it? Murray starting and Marmion/McGrath/potentially Cooney battling it out for 2nd string.

Big improvement on the previous backups of well aged Reddan/Boss .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

How comes Ulster don't have a witty tag line?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

“Les Kissing, More talking”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Long kiss goodnight or kiss kiss bye bye

• Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Les Kisserables

Hang on is everyone forgetting the shocker Cooney had before he scored the try? He was making poor choices at the base and at one point passed to Cave who was clearly running a dummy line then pretty much helped shift the ball direct to touch. Yes he is the best we have but he was not MotM last night. Gilroy or Cave was.
    As for the second half performance, I can not think of one point even when down to 14 for the yellow we look like winning. It was only when they had 13 after the red that they started to pick it up.
    You know its bad when the crowd are ironically cheering when you win one of your own lineouts!

Hang on is everyone forgetting the shocker Cooney had before he scored the try? He was making poor choices at the base and at one point passed to Cave who was clearly running a dummy line then pretty much helped shift the ball direct to touch. Yes he is the best we have but he was not MotM last night. Gilroy or Cave was.
    As for the second half performance, I can not think of one point even when down to 14 for the yellow we look like winning. It was only when they had 13 after the red that they started to pick it up.
    You know its bad when the crowd are ironically cheering when you win one of your own lineouts!
    Was the wind not a factor in Ravenhill like it was in the RDS? I know it died down a bit, but it was still making lineout throws a bit of a lottery. Munster overthrew a couple as well iirc.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Was the wind not a factor in Ravenhill like it was in the RDS? I know it died down a bit, but it was still making lineout throws a bit of a lottery. Munster overthrew a couple as well iirc.
    No,
    The wind was not the reason, poor timing, being read to easy not going shorter sooner and over throws were the issues.

• Advertisement

No,
    The wind was not the reason, poor timing, being read to easy not going shorter sooner and over throws were the issues.
    Well according to the stats it was honours even on that score. Both teams lost two.

Edit: I meant to ask earlier, but was Ludik not due to start at 13?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Well according to the stats it was honours even on that score. Both teams lost two.

He was yeah, they said why he didn't play in the commentary but I can't remember now.

I can not think of one point even when down to 14 for the yellow we look like winning. It was only when they had 13 after the red !

In fairness they were only down to 14 for about 3 minutes before Arnold was sent off, during which time Cave scored a try.

He was yeah, they said why he didn't play in the commentary but I can't remember now.

I think Ludik was ill. Cave should have been starting anyway.

I think Ludik was ill. Cave should have been starting anyway.
    Seems to have a point to prove alright. Long may it continue. That was a great performance from him yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

The first half was a joke and an embarrassment. The second half showed some balls.

Cave was my MOTM, followed by Gilroy, Cooney and Lyttle. Rea did well from the bench as did the unsung Callum Black.

I don't know why Cave isn't playing every week at 13. So what if he fell out with the coach, we need him, so suck it up and play him!

Quick word for the back row in the second half. Jones (20), Timoney (21), Rea (22). When you think about it in the cold light of day it's impressive that we're winning any matches with such a young and inexperienced back row.

But yes, the first half, WTF...

Jones was excellent and was much better than the much vaunted Deysel

Jones was excellent and was much better than the much vaunted Deysel
    To be fair to Deysel, it was his first start after a long lay off.

• Ulster Team Talk Thread III: A,Les-gory of the Cave
    Ulster Team Talk Thread III: The Best is yet to Callum
    Ulster Team Talk Thread III: Jonno and the Hendersons
    Ulster Team Talk Thread III: Dibs on Gibbs
    Ulster Team Talk Thread III: If you poach Ross Byrne I'll be piiiisssed
    Ulster Team Talk Thread III: That escalated quickly
    Ulster Team Talk Thread III: Rodney you plonker
    Ulster Team Talk Thread III: Friends don't let friends double team

Ulster Team Talk Thread III: A,Les-gory of the Cave
    Ulster Team Talk Thread III: The Best is yet to Callum
    Ulster Team Talk Thread III: Jonno and the Hendersons