Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Tester Recruitment Campaign 2017 – 2018 (closing - 5.30pm Friday 5th January)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Watchclub wrote: »
    Have all the successful candidates been notified then do you think? I’m in donegal, I’m sure it’s a dear John but hoping maybe emails take a little longer to get here lol

You will be informed EITHER Way whether you got next round or not.. By FRIDAY... close of business.
    Got that by email from enquiry....

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bellatrix1

Has anyone heard anything?? Bit of a joke at this stage...how long does it take to inform people? Very surprised only three people on this forum recieved emails to go to assessment centre? I got to question 41...the majority of which i am confident i answered correctly and 1 wrong on dots test.
    I was a govt driving tester already...trained by the RSA and went through this whole process already in the past.

Really surprised at lack of contact from an agency hired by a public body...also not happy with the fact these tests are done online...anyone could do them...impersonation etc. I done my aptitude and pyschometric tests in person when i was hired before!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mollycasey

i agree my husband hasn't heard anything and he done what he thought was pretty well on the tests....it would be nice to know whether or witch!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Watchclub

Heard nothing at all. I rang this morn and they said everyone will hear by close of business today, not good enough for def....terrible long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 De Plank

100% agree,... looks like they waiting to see how many book in for assessment day and then decide how many more they need, as lots just do the online out of curiosity with no intention of travelling to test centre. So today @ 1657hrs somebody will press the send button.
    BTW..how did ya get to 41 questions, that's about 17 secs per question, are you a member of Mensa ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 bellatrix1

I am a speed reader. Very quick at finding the info required on the text in the test. But then again speed reading does not mean you are a good driver tester.

No email here!!!

Me either

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Treboer1978

The ones that didn’t get an email inviting them to the test centre are going straight to interview due to their over average extremely high scoring in the tests. YEAH RIGHT, Would be the finest though.

Maybe it’s time for the RSA to ditch this recruitment crowd as there’s nothing but complaints about how they process and handle applicants assessments.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

FYI for those who are eagerly waiting, I didn't complete the assessment as I decided to pull out due a change in circumstances, but I received an e-mail today saying they will not be progressing my application.

• Advertisement

That’s standard due to your not doing the assessment. It states that if you don’t do assessment they will take it you’re no longer interested and they will close off your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I've been driving 35 years have car and C1 licence (cpc done every year), my son has been practising his theory test on line so i thought i would have ago, and failed! surprise how much crap i don't know, thing ill leave it so.

Got my dear John at 5.35. I think we all need to stop going to uni college and just start practicing online assessments. What a wast to wither down your candidates

mollycasey wrote: »
    No email here!!!

We got the email - no luck said 400 people got it. Best of luck to you all

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Hubby got the email too to say he's out..
    Best of luck to everyone going to the next stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Got the email as well close to 4500 people applied and they based it on the assessment probably the fairest way truth be told.

Onwards and upwards best of luck to the rest of you who got the nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Bazzy wrote: »
    Got the email as well close to 4500 people applied and they based it on the assessment probably the fairest way truth be told.

Onwards and upwards best of luck to the rest of you who got the nod.

I think it is an unfair way to judge someone's suitability... There are a number of facets to being a driver tester.... That should be taken into account. Best of luck.... To all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

No joy here either.

I think it is an unfair way to judge someone's suitability... There are a number of facets to being a driver tester.... That should be taken into account. Best of luck.... To all.

Yes but thats what the day assessment is for and whatever else after that.

I doubt they will be starting 400 people and the time it would have taken to go through 4500 CV's and pick the best 400 would be staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kencon32

This is a joke...
    The RSA have the responsibility to road safety in this country. They test each candidate on there driving ability. Ok. I have been a driving instructor for 16 years. I have been tested on my driving ability and my teaching ability and my knowledge of rules of the road on a annual bases. For each of them tests I have had to turn up in person with proof of identification. For this job as a driving tester. Let me say a very very responsible position. I have been asked to do a ONLINE aptitude test. Ok.
    But I could have got anyone to do that test for me. Next step is ONLINE technical test. Also I could have got anybody to do test for me.
    So in six months I send a pupil into test centre that I have done up to 15 driving lessons with. If that person fails with a tester that I know has gone through this system of ONLINE assessment. I will have one very very big issue with the RSA and their testers. At the moment I will be sending a letter of complaint to the CAO of RSA. We do have an issue with complaints around some testers and I do know for a fact from a very reputable source. The standard of tester is not the same across the board.

• Advertisement

kencon32 wrote: »
    This is a joke...
    The RSA have the responsibility to road safety in this country. They test each candidate on there driving ability. Ok. I have been a driving instructor for 16 years. I have been tested on my driving ability and my teaching ability and my knowledge of rules of the road on a annual bases. For each of them tests I have had to turn up in person with proof of identification. For this job as a driving tester. Let me say a very very responsible position. I have been asked to do a ONLINE aptitude test. Ok.
    But I could have got anyone to do that test for me. Next step is ONLINE technical test. Also I could have got anybody to do test for me.
    So in six months I send a pupil into test centre that I have done up to 15 driving lessons with. If that person fails with a tester that I know has gone through this system of ONLINE assessment. I will have one very very big issue with the RSA and their testers. At the moment I will be sending a letter of complaint to the CAO of RSA. We do have an issue with complaints around some testers and I do know for a fact from a very reputable source. The standard of tester is not the same across the board.

Part of the process is 7 weeks training at their headquarters and you are tested several times by two senior members of staff

I'd highly doubt they will start 400 i'd say the number will be half that if even and they will only take the best of them

If you got someone else to do the online assessment I am sure it would become very apparent.

And if you havent the ability to drive correctly or understand the theory behind it and the rules of the road you wont make the cut and get the position

The online assessment is was a way to cut down on the numbers

A skills/experience matrix on 4500 cv's would have seen the process take a hell of a long time and not doing anything about the Q

I'm sure its not pass an online assessment theres a hi viz and a book of competency certs and away you go

If one of your students fails its not fair to blame the tester nerves etc could have got the better of them

I didn’t get through to the top 400 either, but these online tests are becoming the norm to shortlist applicants. I’ve no problem with not getting through as I didn’t fail test I simply didn’t score more points than the top 400 did. I am baffled as to why there is not a randomly selected say 25% retested in person to ensure that the system is watertight. I don’t see the difference between a shortlisting process where to submit 7-8 competencies and your assessed on those, as anyone could have filled those in too. If anyone has major problems with not getting through and the process in which this was carried out then maybe you should consider contacting the CPSA. they have codes of practice etc. In regards to the inconsistencies of some testers, well that’s like any job, everyone has their own take on how to do things and some go further and create their own idea regardless of the set minimum standards. It’s always going to be a problem and not just for the RSA. I do note that the recruitment company handling this on behalf of the RSA are not listed as approved on the CPSA website however because this is non commercial semi state I’m unsure how it falls within the CPSA charter or remit. The charter is based on bodies appointed by ministers. Maybe it will be of help to you. I would have liked this job, as I love driving. I can’t see how prior experience comes Into play at this stage to be honest as the test was to shortlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tony Galvin

I agree that these online tests are becoming the norm, especially for the public service. I've done loads in the last year and they frustrate the hell out of me each time. How many people are great at these tests but are crap at the job they eventually got I wonder, a lot I'd say. There are thousands of people applying for these public service positions so I guess the only way to filter the numbers down is to wreck our heads with numerical reasoning, verbal reasoning etc etc.
    Anyway, this time I managed to get through to the 'final 400' (a bloody miracle) so if anyone has done the assessment day before, I'd appreciate any info I could get! Thanks!

Over the past 4 years I have gone for several internal jobs within the dept of Justice, on the past 3 alone I submitted the same examples for competencies under 4 headings as part of the shortlisting, on each occasion 2 of which were assessed in the same week I scored completely different scores. The funny thing is that on the previous 4 assessment were carried out by the same person. Now how can there be a huge discrepancy in scores by the same person in a week.

I say this in reference to an earlier post regarding the alleged inconsistencies of current RSA testers. I got feedback for 2 interviews again using and discussing said examples and again the scores were worlds apart. The people carrying out these shortlisting and interviews in this instance were trained by together for intervening. It’s all down to who you get and whether they feel that their way is better than the minimum standard set.

I’d have liked this, but coming from civil service if I had have been successful would have brought me to the top i crime the top increment so maybe they wouldn’t have wanted me in that case! Best of luck to the probably 80-100 that make the final cut to be panelled for the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 De Plank

Well done & Best of Luck, no idea of what goes on but assessment day should be interesting, .... never received the courtesy of an email either way, wonder how many more are in that boat !!, .... don't think those in CMcN would have got very far in the verbal reasoning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Anysavage

The face to face assessment is a mixture of scenarios. .. pretend role play of an irate failed learner or a very nervous learner with you playing the tester...
    Then more than likely a group session with one person setting up a scenario and each of the group participants would give their input while a 2nd person will be taking note of this input...
    Hope this isn't too late.
    For what it's worth I believe to invite people to this day without taking their qualifications or experience into acount first to sieve the best outcome from a recruitment process is very strange? Where in the real world would a school or a hospital take people through a very expensive process without seeing that they have what it takes...other than being a quick reader!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Yes, as I posted above - you could have got your licence way back in the days when they handed licences out to anyone who had applied in order to cope with the long waiting list - you may never have driven subsequent to that but may - for divilment - have applied for the job, read quickly, answered correctly and been called to the face-to-face asessment without ever having driven!

De plank..Very strange...you should check your spam and if you have not heard either way (as per the FAQ section of CmcN) then you should ring them up as that is not in accordance with their criteria advertised?
    The email that went out saying 'unfortunately ' stated the 400 going forward would be whittled down via role play etc... ring them and ask if you should have received an invite.
    There is a good few mistakes in this recruitment process apart from the ridiculous way it's run. No commercial or state job would bring applicants to such an assessment day without sieving the applicants professional qualifications and experience first... and garda vetting of course! Good luck. Hope you get a chance to show them how good you would be!

Tuisnigduich...I agree competely plus you could be a person who will not get through your garda vetting because of whatever reason (testers do deal with under 18 yr olds) and yet you are a whiz kid with a mouse or have a sidekick who is! Madness... its hard to believe the rsa are aware that this is how their shortlisting is done. If they do - that's even worse!

• Advertisement

Tony Galvin see my post above... ..good luck!

Advertisement