Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Tester Recruitment Campaign 2017 – 2018 (closing - 5.30pm Friday 5th January)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Anysavage

mollycasey wrote: »
    We got the email - no luck said 400 people got it. Best of luck to you all
    Molly Casey did you email confirm your qualifications or experience was not taken into account?

What an incredible way to recruit. Imagine a principal getting to interview stage this way!

I didn’t get through to the top 400 either, but these online tests are becoming the norm to shortlist applicants. I’ve no problem with not getting through as I didn’t fail test I simply didn’t score more points than the top 400 did. I am baffled as to why there is not a randomly selected say 25% retested in person to ensure that the system is watertight. I don’t see the difference between a shortlisting process where to submit 7-8 competencies and your assessed on those, as anyone could have filled those in too. If anyone has major problems with not getting through and the process in which this was carried out then maybe you should consider contacting the CPSA. they have codes of practice etc. In regards to the inconsistencies of some testers, well that’s like any job, everyone has their own take on how to do things and some go further and create their own idea regardless of the set minimum standards. It’s always going to be a problem and not just for the RSA. I do note that the recruitment company handling this on behalf of the RSA are not listed as approved on the CPSA website however because this is non commercial semi state I’m unsure how it falls within the CPSA charter or remit. The charter is based on bodies appointed by ministers. Maybe it will be of help to you. I would have liked this job, as I love driving. I can’t see how prior experience comes Into play at this stage to be honest as the test was to shortlist.
    Trebour1798 what is the CPSA ... I find this type of recruitment is not fit for purpose considering the job and the necessary requirements eg garda vetting... qualifications and experience not part of the short listing process. Afterall, it would be a fairly exoensive/waste of money to get a host of speed readers to the face to face assessment to discover they are not suitable for one reason or another!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Treboer1978

It is the commission for regulatory over public/civil Service recruitment. However It may not apply to non commercial semi state recruitments, it would need to be clarified.

In regard to people discussing applicants experience, references, educational or other qualifications and Garda vetting all this tends not to be considered in the public/civil Service until an applicant is deemed fully successful to be placed on a panel. It’s due to costs involved in verifying these. There is a fee payable to An Garda Síochána to do a background check, it’s about €40 as far as I recall and is in most instances payable by the perspective employer but some places charge for it like agencies in the health care system. I’m unsure if there is a charge by education bodies to confirm results of examinations but I’d imagine the 3rd level certainly do charge. Sure it’s a revenue stream after all.

It could also be seen by using this process of verification at the end of the recruitment campaign could whittle down successful candidate panel by another few percent.

It is the commission for regulatory over public/civil Service recruitment. However It may not apply to non commercial semi state recruitments, it would need to be clarified.

In regard to people discussing applicants experience, references, educational or other qualifications and Garda vetting all this tends not to be considered in the public/civil Service until an applicant is deemed fully successful to be placed on a panel. It’s due to costs involved in verifying these. There is a fee payable to An Garda Síochána to do a background check, it’s about €40 as far as I recall and is in most instances payable by the perspective employer but some places charge for it like agencies in the health care system. I’m unsure if there is a charge by education bodies to confirm results of examinations but I’d imagine the 3rd level certainly do charge. Sure it’s a revenue stream after all.

It could also be seen by using this process of verification at the end of the recruitment campaign could whittle down successful candidate panel by another few percent.

Treboer 1978 thank you for that. However, garda vetting is done online now and available via your permission. By looking at min qualifications I mean by looking at the cv that was loaded up as required. I also mean experience to read the cv. If you went for a teaching job or a nursing job the first criteria is qualifications and then "how much" experience and then whittle down to the next stage. Imagine taking on an a&e nurse by seeing if they could speed read and use a mouse because that is what is really being done by these assessments...its just such a pity the rsa could be missing out on testers already trained perhaps in another jouristiction or even this one! Imagin the saving on the training...speaking of which, if I'm reading the question correctly , if you get to training section you are only given a 2 year contract (if at all) but YOU'VE given up your job to train.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mollycasey

Hi Anysavage

No just said it was all based on the online assessment....

• Advertisement

Treboer 1978 thank you for that. However, garda vetting is done online now and available via your permission. By looking at min qualifications I mean by looking at the cv that was loaded up as required. I also mean experience to read the cv. If you went for a teaching job or a nursing job the first criteria is qualifications and then "how much" experience and then whittle down to the next stage. Imagine taking on an a&e nurse by seeing if they could speed read and use a mouse because that is what is really being done by these assessments...its just such a pity the rsa could be missing out on testers already trained perhaps in another jouristiction or even this one! Imagin the saving on the training...speaking of which, if I'm reading the frequently asked question correctly , if you get to training section you are only given a 2 year contract (if at all) but YOU'VE given up your job to train in the first place. Wouldn't experience and qualifications give the rsa a better chance of getting the best possible person for the job from the getgo?

I’d be shocked if vetting by AGS was done before a candidate is deemed successful as its normal in civil Service to do that towards the end.

Nursing application is done on a competency based application from in which there is between 4-6 Headings like assertiveness, people orientation, teamwork, ability to work alone, amongst others.

This process was simply a shortlisting process. Maybe the best way this could have been run was to award points for each application and then decide on the best applications to put through to the online testing. Whilst I do agree that it’s highly likely better candidates didn’t get through maybe it best look that it’s not about the ability to speed read, it’s more focused on finding someone’s ability to be time focused, and extract specific information under pressure. I’d be more inclined to look at it being assessments of someone’s ability to think in a multidimensional capacity as a driving instructor would need to be, if you get what I mean.

It’s basically the way competitive competitions are now run, and in civil service it’s always been aptitude test related with pen and paper. As long as I can recall anyway just to whittle down applicants. I’ve done many over the past 20 years, and I’ve been successful in all but this one. Maybe look at CPSA.ie and contact them to see does the code of practice apply to RSA. I’m browned off I didn’t get it but sure such is life.

Also most civil Service jobs now come with a 1 or 2 year contract starting as they can cancel your contract at any stage, but my understanding given the increments pay scale would be that after 2 years successful probation you would move onto permanent role. Same in AGS, (2yrs) IPS (1yr) Justice (1yr) HSE (1yr) for existing civil servants this rules on pension and pay scale don’t apply as they keep their current pay and pension benefits just transfer over to RSA.

I’d be shocked if vetting by AGS was done before a candidate is deemed successful as its normal in civil Service to do that towards the end.

Nursing application is done on a competency based application from in which there is between 4-6 Headings like assertiveness, people orientation, teamwork, ability to work alone, amongst others.

This process was simply a shortlisting process. Maybe the best way this could have been run was to award points for each application and then decide on the best applications to put through to the online testing. Whilst I do agree that it’s highly likely better candidates didn’t get through maybe it best look that it’s not about the ability to speed read, it’s more focused on finding someone’s ability to be time focused, and extract specific information under pressure. I’d be more inclined to look at it being assessments of someone’s ability to think in a multidimensional capacity as a driving instructor would need to be, if you get what I mean.

It’s basically the way competitive competitions are now run, and in civil service it’s always been aptitude test related with pen and paper. As long as I can recall anyway just to whittle down applicants. I’ve done many over the past 20 years, and I’ve been successful in all but this one. Maybe look at CPSA.ie and contact them to see does the code of practice apply to RSA. I’m browned off I didn’t get it but sure such is life.

Also most civil Service jobs now come with a 1 or 2 year contract starting as they can cancel your contract at any stage, but my understanding given the increments pay scale would be that after 2 years successful probation you would move onto permanent role. Same in AGS, (2yrs) IPS (1yr) Justice (1yr) HSE (1yr) for existing civil servants this rules on pension and pay scale don’t apply as they keep their current pay and pension benefits just transfer over to RSA.

Treboar Maybe it is something that needs looking at by the rsa. I'd be browned off too. Looking at comments and media coverage, the rsa has gone back to the almost 6 months waiting stage, they have more testers retiring every year and yet they have a first line of application that bares no significent attribute necessary for the job. Speed reading and computer skills is not the first requested attribute! Testers use an ipad... not rocket science. They use observation and honesty in using that ipad... how many still use the old clip board but are still very good and honest testers. Why in heavens name would you risk missing out on people who are already involved in a similar situation... eg trained testers, instructors, fleet assessors, professional drivers and such...I am not saying that other people would not do well too but to get value for money in recruitmentioned and fit for purpose applicants I just feel that the cost of all this must be phenomenAl and the rsa is using tax payers money. If the assessment in this instance is some form of extraction of suitable personality type then it is sorely unsuitable. No tester has to extract information under pressure...it is a very rigid and straight information recorded by one tip of the ipad... not rocket science. Rules that apply, apply the rules!

Hi Anysavage

No just said it was all based on the online assessment....

Molly Casey. .that's interesting! A no of people got emails of regret which included that qualifications or experience was not included. Can you check again? This I believe is important. Thanks!

I seem to recall the email stating that the decision not to progress my application was based solely on my online assessment scores and NOT qualifications or experience. Did people get something different in their email?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I think the 'detailed' emails of regret were for those who weren't even called for the online part i.e. people who didn't have 5years licence

I seem to recall the email stating that the decision not to progress my application was based solely on my online assessment scores and NOT qualifications or experience. Did people get something different in their email?

Hi Treboer yes apparently this is the case ...which is what is apalling. Not to include qualifications or experience. .. what business would do that...but mollycasey may have got a different email...iv just asked her to confirm that this section was not in her email..

I think the 'detailed' emails of regret were for those who weren't even called for the online part i.e. people who didn't have 5years licence

Tuisginideach the emails which stated that qualifications or experience were sent after not getting to the top 400... having done the assessments. .. Hard to believe I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tony Galvin

@Anysavage,

Thanks a million for the information. While I disagree with this whole recruitment process, I am going to attend the assessment day and see what happens. If previous qualifications/education hasn't been taken into account I think it may be a bit farcical. My idea of 'role play' may be a bit different than the assessors -)
    I have good experience/qualifications and am educated to masters level BUT I'm pretty rubbish at these inline assessments so I'm surprised to have got through to this stage.
    Anyway, I'll let ye know how it all goes! If anything, ye might get a good laugh about it!!!!!!

@Anysavage,

Thanks a million for the information. While I disagree with this whole recruitment process, I am going to attend the assessment day and see what happens. If previous qualifications/education hasn't been taken into account I think it may be a bit farcical. My idea of 'role play' may be a bit different than the assessors -)
    I have good experience/qualifications and am educated to masters level BUT I'm pretty rubbish at these inline assessments so I'm surprised to have got through to this stage.
    Anyway, I'll let ye know how it all goes! If anything, ye might get a good laugh about it!!!!!!

Tony galvin just speak with a few instructors and ask them what kind of 'unusual' cases has happened between tester and learner/parent of learner/instructor... you will need to put yourself into the role of tester... good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Yes - I see:
    Thank you for your interest in the Road Safety Authority (RSA) Driver Tester Recruitment Campaign 2017/2018 and thank you for taking the time to complete the Ability Assessments.

Unfortunately we will not be progressing your application to the next stage of the recruitment process as your results did not place you in the top 400 highest scoring candidates.

The decision not to advance your application to the next stage is based on your Ability Assessment scores only – not on experience or qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Twilbegrand

Did anyone have an interview yet?
    I can't seem to find the competencies anywhere does anyone know what they are?

Did anyone have an interview yet?
    I can't seem to find the competencies anywhere does anyone know what they are?

Twilbegrand what competencies are you referring to? Have you had the face to face assessment yet...usually role play etc? The competency based interviews are more like group scenarios and your interaction within a group setting.
    Where are the assessments/interviews taking place?
    Usually be prepared by talking to a driving instructor on things that could have happened between instructors/tester... parent/tester or learner/tester... from nerves to irate failed learner/parent of one... any instructor will tell you that a tester only has to decide if learner is too nervous is it safe to go out...irate person us politely told to contact the rsa with a written complaint as testers generally don't get into a situation that could get worse!
    Group in traction should be 'useful' non agressive and politely take everyone's right to have an opinion...just make sure yours is positive and induces further discussion (not debate)!!
    Good luck. The driving test is an actual driving test so a few lessons might be in order to brush up!!

Got my feed back. Pass mark on each assessment was 45. I scored 50 and 53, however the mean used to progress was a collective score of 55 and over. My mean was 51.5. Just wide.

it’s odd that the average completion rates on the concentration test wasn’t given, I know for sure I got 1 wrong, maybe 2 and I figured I clicked up to near 60, but obviously I only clicked on 53-55. In regards to the verbal reasoning I figure I clicked on about 37 questions. I’m a dunce ha.

Ah sure, how and ever, I’ll plod along.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Twilbegrand

Anysavage wrote: »
    Twilbegrand what competencies are you referring to? Have you had the face to face assessment yet...usually role play etc? The competency based interviews are more like group scenarios and your interaction within a group setting.
    Where are the assessments/interviews taking place?
    Usually be prepared by talking to a driving instructor on things that could have happened between instructors/tester... parent/tester or learner/tester... from nerves to irate failed learner/parent of one... any instructor will tell you that a tester only has to decide if learner is too nervous is it safe to go out...irate person us politely told to contact the rsa with a written complaint as testers generally don't get into a situation that could get worse!
    Group in traction should be 'useful' non agressive and politely take everyone's right to have an opinion...just make sure yours is positive and induces further discussion (not debate)!!
    Good luck. The driving test is an actual driving test so a few lessons might be in order to brush up!!

I thought the driving test was in March for those who get through this hurdle

• Advertisement

I thought the driving test was in March for those who get through this hurdle

Face to face Assessment by Feb 20th by time you ger invite to driving March 1st will be close...need to brush up on area depending on where driving test is gonna be...may not be same place as face to face...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Face to face Assessment by Feb 20th by time you ger invite to driving March 1st will be close...need to brush up on area depending on where driving test is gonna be...may not be same place as face to face...

Driving test will probably be done locally as it will be 2 supervisor testers doing it with you. If not locally, I'd imagine a town or 2 over. A lot of people will have done a lot of traveling to the assessment centre so may not want to put people to extra expense.

pajopearl wrote: »
    Driving test will probably be done locally as it will be 2 supervisor testers doing it with you. If not locally, I'd imagine a town or 2 over. A lot of people will have done a lot of traveling to the assessment centre so may not want to put people to extra expense.
    Pajopearl what do you mean locally??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Pajopearl what do you mean locally??

As in your own home turf. I.E. I'm in Cork, I'd imagine I'll do my test, if successful, in Cork City or possibly Mallow. Anywhere there's a test centre which isn't too far of a drive from home basically.

Got my feed back. Pass mark on each assessment was 45. I scored 50 and 53, however the mean used to progress was a collective score of 55 and over. My mean was 51.5. Just wide.

it’s odd that the average completion rates on the concentration test wasn’t given, I know for sure I got 1 wrong, maybe 2 and I figured I clicked up to near 60, but obviously I only clicked on 53-55. In regards to the verbal reasoning I figure I clicked on about 37 questions. I’m a dunce ha.

Ah sure, how and ever, I’ll plod along.

Treboer do you understand that feedback? How many questions were there in each section?
    I fin it confusing because I know I noticed question numbers at one point but don't know if they were count up or count down cos I was too concentrated on the job. But I think somone posted they were a speed reader so maybe that person can help figure out this mean, score and possible scores? To have a mean of 55 it meant scoring say 55 in each section... I reckoned I scored all I did in concentration test correctly yet my score was only 42?? My verbal was less so who else got feedback?
    Very confusing. Pity it isn't more transparent like 60 possible. .Did 50 got 40 right or something simple like that. Or am I missing something? If you clicked on 37 how did you score 50??
    Anyone any ideas?

The mean is both your scores added and then divided by 2 will give you your average mean. So say 55 and 55 as a score would give you a mean of 55. 40 and 50 would give you a mean of 45.

Yes I agree it’s a shame it’s not more detailed as in what amount of questions you answered and of which were correct. Also what negative markings you got. Also very helpful would be the average questions answered by all applicants. It’s hard to try improve scores when you only have figures and not detailed results as where an applicant fell short.

I think there was 42 questions in the first part, and the second part was a countdown timer and not a set amount of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mollycasey

How do you request your results?

Just email them with your tester reference number that they assigned to you and seek feedback. They just basically give you your scores, however they didn’t give me a breakdown of correct or incorrect answers which I think is pointless as how are you supposed to improve when you don’t know where you need improvement on. I know in civil Service they tend to point out very clearly where you scored and where needs improving. I’m not sure what private sector is like for such feedback.

• Advertisement

How do you request your results?

Molly Casey just reply to the email saying you were not going to next stage...if you read it it states you may request feedback so just press reply and ask for their feedback please!

Something is not sitting right here. Feedback should normally state the criteria, benchmark, that attained and that which did not hit the benchmark.... bit disappointed with this sad feedback attempt by this recruitment group. To say the least!!

Advertisement