Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

• 09-01-2018 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

NiroEV_11-980x620.jpg

niroev-12.jpg

So... it begins. The crossover EV invasion. This is the Kia Niro EV Concept shown at CES tonight, previewing the production Kia Niro EV launching in Q3/Q4.
    Arriving in Ireland for the 191 Reg.

380+km EPA (i.e. real world) range (rumors suggest two battery options (40kWh and 64kWh) and this is likely EPA range of the larger)
    150kW motor (FWD)
    100kW CCS rapid charging (Korea's Agency for Technology and Standards announced on Dec 21st they will officially adopt CCS as their rapid charging standard)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Nice motor

I like that it has 200bhp

The rumours of Hyundai using the Chevy Bolt LG drivetrain and battery pack might be true then

Its just a pity it will probably be low volume

0-60 6 secs, 400km range is perfect

Hyundai warranty is the job too, usually 5 year unlimited mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

thierry14 wrote: »
    Hyundai warranty is the job too, usually 5 year unlimited mileage

But it isn't Hyundai. I know they are sister companies, but Kia warranty despite 7 years long, is worse than Hyundai.

grogi wrote: »
    But it isn't Hyundai. I know they are sister companies, but Kia warranty despite 7 years long, is worse than Hyundai.

Oh yeah always mix up the 2 :)

7 year, 150k km is good too

Even better for me as I do under 20k km per year

Would get the full 7 years

Tesla only give 4 year/ 80k km and Nissan a pathetic 3 year/ 100k km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Looks nice but I would go for the Hyundai version, I always found the Hyundai had a better build quality if you compared to the Kia......

I guess this is the Kia version of the KONA? Will Kona be released before>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Shefwedfan wrote:

Not quite, the Kia version of the Kona is the Stonic. EV version of that on the way too.

cros13 wrote: »
    Shefwedfan wrote:

Not quite, the Kia version of the Kona is the Stonic. EV version of that on the way too.

Ok so the Niro will be a bit bigger to the Sonic?

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Ok so the Niro will be a bit bigger to the Sonic?

Yes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I believe the Niro is based on the Ioniq platform.

The Niro might be worth a look at if bigger than Kona.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

My understanding is that the Hyundai Kona and Ioniq have the same drivetrain and share a platform with the Kia Stonic

Not sure what drivetrain the Niro uses.

KCross wrote: »
    My understanding is that the Hyundai Kona and Ioniq have the same drivetrain and share a platform with the Kia Stonic

Not sure what drivetrain the Niro uses.

The Niro platform is the same as the Ioniq platform.
    The Kona & Stonic use a shortened version of that platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I know it’s only a concept, but looks so much better than the Kona. Performance and range look great too. Can see myself going for this when my financing is up on my Ioniq in 2019.

Are Hyundai likely to release an equivalent? That’d be an EV Tucson I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭dee75

Great looking vehicle. I'd definitely take a look at that in 2019.

I have Kia Sportage from new since 2011 ad found their 7 year warranty very good. Have found my car to be very comfortable and reliable.

Any idea what price range it's likely to be in?

Will be interesting to see what Kia plan is with the Sportage, going forward will the Sportage just be the diesel version and die along with diesel? The Sportage is a little bigger than the Niro so will they kept both lines?

The Sportage and Tucson are the same SUV so would be interesting if Hyundai just released a Tucson EV, it would clean up....

Still can’t understand why Nissan have never bothered after all these years to not release a Qashqai EV

Are Hyundai likely to release an equivalent? That’d be an EV Tucson I assume?

Don't know, Hyundai don't have a direct equivalent.
    Some rumors of a proper EV Tucson on the way.
    dee75 wrote: »
    Any idea what price range it's likely to be in?

In the €30-35k range.
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see what Kia plan is with the Sportage, going forward will the Sportage just be the diesel version and die along with diesel? The Sportage is a little bigger than the Niro so will they kept both lines?

Kia has committed to launching five BEVs in the next 7 years.

1. Is the Stonic EV
    2. Is the Niro EV
    3. Is presumed to be the 2nd generation Soul EV
    4. Is rumored to be an EV Picanto
    5. Is an open question, with some rumors of larger SUVs and rumors about an EV version of the Kia Stinger
    Still can’t understand why Nissan have never bothered after all these years to not release a Qashqai EV

Supposedly one on the way based on the B0+ based platform of the new Leaf. Will be slightly larger in all dimensions than the current Qashqai and sold as an EV-only new model.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Is it actually going to look like that? Aren't they launching the Nero plug in hybrid in the next couple of weeks? It looks a lot more 'normal' than this, which I'd prefer.

Effects wrote: »
    Is it actually going to look like that? Aren't they launching the Nero plug in hybrid in the next couple of weeks? It looks a lot more 'normal' than this, which I'd prefer.

Thats the concept, that will never make it to market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Concept=different wheels and plastic eyebrows on headlights. It looks like a production vehicle to me.

• Advertisement

Thats the concept, that will never make it to market

Nah that's pretty real as said above, will make it to market

VW ID

They are concepts that will never make it to market, stupid looking things

thierry14 wrote: »
    Nah that's pretty real as said above, will make it to market

VW ID

They are concepts that will never make it to market, stupid looking things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb_yR-AP7aI

You are very wise young padawan......:D

Kia themselves are not even 100% sure if the guy can sit into the concept

As per the interview, he didn't seem very certain about anything making it into production......

Pointless comments about VW.....really you should test drive one:P

P.S I do admit I watched that video before I posted first time, a little bit of research always helps before posting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

OK, the interior will be changed from white to black too. An probably that steering wheel.

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Effects wrote: »

The Niro PHEV is available in the UK since Sept 2017, I think. Its the same as the existing Niro... with a plug obviously.

This new Niro EV concept seems to be a very different looking car. I'd be surprised if we see it for 191.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

samih wrote: »
    Concept=different wheels and plastic eyebrows on headlights. It looks like a production vehicle to me.

Yeah, when I look closer it does seem like stuff just tacked on to make it look futuristic.

I had the plug in hybrid version for a few days this week. Quite liked it but then it's the first electric/hybrid I've driven.

I signed up to GoCar just to try the BMW i3 but haven't got around to it yet.

The Niro shares it's platform with the Ioniq. An EV version has been on the drawing board since day 1.

Barring the interior, matte paint and fancy LED display on the front bumper this is basically the production car.

cros13 wrote: »
    The Niro shares it's platform with the Ioniq. An EV version has been on the drawing board since day 1.

Barring the interior, matte paint and fancy LED display on the front bumper this is basically the production car.

Just go to kia.ie and look at the current Niro....you won't be far off what the electric version will look like...maybe a few small touchs but very similar, agree?

Just go to kia.ie and look at the current Niro....you won't be far off what the electric version will look like...maybe a few small touchs but very similar, agree?

Yup, grill blanked out but yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭denismc

Called into a Kia dealer today and was told they will have the first EV Niro in a few months, so maybe it will be on sale by year end!!
    Also the Stonic is a much smaller car than the Niro, bit of a stretch calling it a SUV tbh

• Advertisement

denismc wrote: »
    Called into a Kia dealer today and was told they will have the first EV Niro in a few months, so maybe it will be on sale by year end!!

I think whoever you talked to may be confused. The PHEV Niro will be in the Irish dealerships soon. The Niro EV won't be until the 191 reg.

Advertisement