Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

KCross wrote: »
    mentioned that the eNiro wasnt due until 192 and she gave the correct range of the 64kWh version and that the price was "expected to be ~€33k after grants"!

I dont know where she got that info from but everything else she said was accurate.

She didn't get the range right (it's 455km not 485km)! Not a hope of the price being just €33k either I'm afraid. Bit disappointed that she only mentioned the ESB plans, not Ionity, when they were discussing the lack of fast chargers.

That said she was pretty factual in the interview and I generally find her articles well researched and professional. Which can not be said for many articles written by her (mostly male) fellow Irish motoring journos...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

There was a motoring section on Pat Kenny this morning and the lady talking (cant remember who she was but she was a motoring journalist) and she spoke about the Kona EV and eNiro and she gave the correct Kona price (€37k) and then mentioned that the eNiro wasnt due until 192 and she gave the correct range of the 64kWh version and that the price was "expected to be ~€33k after grants"!

I dont know where she got that info from but everything else she said was accurate.

It does seem way too low though, even if they gave us a Paddy spec version, so I'm not holding my breath but I will cross my fingers! :)

Not a hope in hell it will be selling for 33k. Sure the hybrid is at 33k....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell it will be selling for 33k. Sure the hybrid is at 33k....

Sure everything will be coming down in price in readiness for the VW onslaught in 2020!

Sure everything will be coming down in price in readiness for the VW onslaught in 2020!

Everything doesn't have to revolve around VW :eek:

I know your all closet VW fans but sometimes it is better to have a look at other options

Review in the Irish Times today by Neil Briscoe. Pretty factual article although he gives the car just 3 out of 5 stars. Which seems harsh as the only thing he doesn't seem to like is the handling which he reckons is a bit dull. What would really help in an article like this is to compare what a similar diesel car costs to buy and in fuel. Most people have no idea that they would save 80-90% in fuel alone with an EV.

Linky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    Review in the Irish Times today by Neil Briscoe. Pretty factual article although he gives the car just 3 out of 5 stars. Which seems harsh as the only thing he doesn't seem to like is the handling which he reckons is a bit dull. What would really help in an article like this is to compare what a similar diesel car costs to buy and in fuel. Most people have no idea that they would save 80-90% in fuel alone with an EV.

Linky

Interesting he mentioned the same €33k figure but for the short range version, so maybe Ms Herbert is singing off the same hymn sheet but just mentioned the wrong price for the long range car.

€33k and €37k seem likely prices.

Funny all these reviews coming out when Kia dealer said the press version would be coming in Feb for the reviews.

I doubt all the press will run another set of articles in Feb next year after they test drive in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Haha 😂

True that

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Interesting he mentioned the same €33k figure but for the short range version, so maybe Ms Herbert is singing off the same hymn sheet but just mentioned the wrong price for the long range car.

€33k and €37k seem likely prices.

Seems to be confirmed in the indo, €33k for 39.2kwh and €37k for 64kWh version. Well worth the 4k extra to be honest.

https://amp.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/kia-going-from-zero-to-eniro-with-major-electric-drive-and-soul-ev-is-on-way-too-37616101.html

Also interesting to note that Kia are dropping the hybrid Niro as the price gap with the plug-in hybrid is so small. With the current grants available I'm surprised Toyota have not embraced the plug-in hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭eagerv

Perhaps i am being over cynical, but flying the Journos down to the south of France to test a well equipped Niro 64 looks so much better than waiting until grey cold Feb to test a stripped down version here...

And 37K for the version they tested?
    I don't believe it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

eagerv wrote: »
    Perhaps i am being over cynical, but flying the Journos down to the south of France to test a well equipped Niro 64 looks so much better than waiting until grey cold Feb to test a stripped down version here...

And 37K for the version they tested?
    I don't believe it:)

Good point, let's see what they send over as demos in February.

Fingers crossed it's a better spec than the Kona and that the price mentioned is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

On days like this I think the lack of an app for remote heating is a really big loss. Such a massive downgrade from my old Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Seems to be confirmed in the indo, €33k for 39.2kwh and €37k for 64kWh version. Well worth the 4k extra to be honest.

I doubt they will be bringing the 39.2kwh version here seeing as Hyundai didn't do that for the Kona so we will be looking at the higher end of the €37K, throw in the metallic paint and "delivery related charges" and it will be pretty close to the €40k that people are predicting.
    I will be interested to see what the final spec will be as the Kona seems to have been hobbled with a lower spec (no HUD, LED headlights and so on) so fingers crossed Kia won't follow suit. If the eNiro works out to be the same spec as the UK version then I might be persuaded to chop in the hybrid and go full leccy. :)

https://amp.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/kia-going-from-zero-to-eniro-with-major-electric-drive-and-soul-ev-is-on-way-too-37616101.html

Also interesting to note that Kia are dropping the hybrid Niro as the price gap with the plug-in hybrid is so small. With the current grants available I'm surprised Toyota have not embraced the plug-in hybrid.

The 39kWh is not going to UKo I very much doubt it will make it to Ireland. I doubt they will even make a RHD version

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Round Cable

The 39kWh is not going to UKo I very much doubt it will make it to Ireland. I doubt they will even make a RHD version

I would doubt it too, considering the options the UK has on the Kona compared to Ireland.

The article even says that Kia expect most to go for the 64kWh version, so why bother with the shorter-range model?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

eNiro is starting to go out on test with UK reviewers.

Driving electric (offshoot of Auto Express AFAIK) had one on review on youtube.

The reviewer liked it - reckons it's a bit better then Kona due to a nicer/better interior and equipment.

She alluded to getting 250 miles real world range.

Was right hand drive UK registered car and on that same track (Millbrook????) that you see on many UK youtube reviews.

Anyone hear about #frozengate in regards to Niro?

Anyone hear about #frozengate in regards to Niro?

Apart from Bjorn no I havent.

However a UK Kona Owner youtuber who has a 64 kw had a 39 kwh on test from Hyundai and had characteristics not too disimilar with the 39 kwh Kona.

Edit Bjorn himself actually has a Niro on loan again from Kia for 6 days. So perhaps further indications will emerge as how big an issue this is.

Perhaps Kia have figured a solution as it seems unusual to get the Niro on test again so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

What's the #frozengate? I looked for the twitter handle, but came empty...

grogi wrote: »
    What's the #frozengate? I looked for the twitter handle, but came empty...

Basically at low ambient temps the 64 kwh Kia and Hyundai battery is arriving at the first charge or 2 on a trip at too cool a battery temperature to give full speed charge.

I've forgotten what speed Bjorn was getting - might have been 30 kw when battery too cold.

• Advertisement

Old diesel wrote: »
    Apart from Bjorn no I havent.

However a UK Kona Owner youtuber who has a 64 kw had a 39 kwh on test from Hyundai and had characteristics not too disimilar with the 39 kwh Kona.

Edit Bjorn himself actually has a Niro on loan again from Kia for 6 days. So perhaps further indications will emerge as how big an issue this is.

Perhaps Kia have figured a solution as it seems unusual to get the Niro on test again so soon.

It was Bjorn now I seen the picture, it was just of a heater placed against the Niro :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Old diesel wrote: »
    Basically at low ambient temps the 64 kwh Kia and Hyundai battery is arriving at the first charge or 2 on a trip at too cool a battery temperature to give full speed charge.

I've forgotten what speed Bjorn was getting - might have been 30 kw when battery too cold.

Something we should reaaaaaly worry in Ireland about then.. ;)

Huge issues every 20 years when the winter storm blows in

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

Aye, Bjorn is in Norway for a start and the Niro does have a battery heater that you can turn on (I forget what they call it, winter mode or something).

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

We discussed that article a few pages back iirc

unkel wrote: »
    We discussed that article a few pages back iirc

The one worry id have is his suggestion the ride could be very harsh on Irish roads.

Actually yes we should and already do, unless the battery is around 20 Deg C it won't charge at full power.

Certainly the milder the climate the better and Ireland's climate is mixed ,cool some years milder others. Last winter was prolonged and quite cold really up to the end of May but in general Ireland's climate is more than cool enough all year around to keep an EV battery cool enough to restrict charging power on DC.

Setting off with a full charge and getting to a charger might warm the battery enough and it might not.

The BMW I3 preheats the battery to 10 Deg C , enough for maximum acceleration and regen power and by the time you need a charge on a long drive it's warm enough for max charger power , however, if you go off somewhere and that night have no AC and can't pre heat and need to charge the next morning the battery might be cool enough that you will only see around 35 Kw.

The Ioniq has a battery heater that I assume will only heat when plugged into AC same laws of physics apply to the Ioniq battery and all Li batteries, what temp it heats the battery to I do not know or the circumstances which it heats or not.

But the moral of the story is that Ireland's climate is more than cool enough plenty of the time even in Summer not to allow full charger power at the fast charger.

Hopefully in the years to come someone will think of a chemistry that does not increase internal resistance on a cold battery so much that it restricts current flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The short answer is, we don't know, how near or far away from 20C restricts input. However in relative terms we have a temperate climate compared to many other countries so we will be affected less than others.

• Advertisement

I got the impression that on Bjorns 2nd eNiro test the problem only really happened on the faster then 50 kw chargers.

So at 50 kw chargers it still charged at 38 to 42 kw.

Ambient Temps were higher but still low +single figures.

On the other hand this could actually be a good sign for the L60 as it implies the 64 kwh LG chem may well actually have a slower temp rise then L40.

Advertisement