Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kia Niro EV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

KCross wrote: »
    That is true of every modern EV or PHEV once you have the appropriate cable.

However, 10A (via 3-pin socket) is a very slow charge rate. Typically you would install a charge point that allows you to charge at 16A or 32A to speed things up a bit. That isn't a 3-pin socket though. Its a special EV charge point and a different cable.

2hrs 45 mins vs 3hrs 45 mins according to this:

https://ev-database.uk/car/1115/Kia-Niro-PHEV#charge-table

I was expecting the difference to be bigger than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ei9go wrote: »
    less 5000 seai grant

Niro Plug In Hybrid PHEV** 88 A2 180 35,995
    **PHEV qualifies for SEAI grant of up to €5,000

That's the way it is listed in price book....not sure if that means the 5k is already off the price or not

vienne86 wrote: »
    Thanks for that - on kiamotors.ie or kia.com/ie/ I'm still not getting a price - if you have a link, could you post it?

Go into the PHEV page and download brochure. It has option for pricelist. It is is the middle of that

Irish Kia website

Thats the Hybrid.
    The PHEV has 8.9kWh battery.

The outlander has 12kWh from what I can read. So still the best PHEV option available

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The outlander has 12kWh from what I can read. So still the best PHEV option available

Depends on what metric you use I suppose. It has the largest battery but whats its EV only range?

All the PHEV's have similar EV only range (around 40km) and the Outlander has a bigger battery because its a heavier car and needs it.

• Advertisement

Niro Plug In Hybrid PHEV** 88 A2 180 35,995
    **PHEV qualifies for SEAI grant of up to €5,000

That's the way it is listed in price book....not sure if that means the 5k is already off the price or not

Well if there is 5k to come off that price, it would be very little more than the regular Niro.....which would be nice!

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well if there is 5k to come off that price, it would be very little more than the regular Niro.....which would be nice!

It would be excellent price, the spec is very high on the PHEV

It would be excellent price, the spec is very high on the PHEV
    I would expect the price to be quoted with the 5K already factored in, but it doesn't read like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Difference of less than 3k euro between 39kWh and 64kWh

Thats surprising

https://pushevs.com/2018/03/01/kia-niro-ev-pre-orders-start-south-korea/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Sounds about right, according to my projections thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105603875
    25kWh battery should cost $4,000 in 2018.

Looks like I'm on track :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Wasn't expecting the Niro EV so quick. We might see it in September/October after all.
    In tiny numbers though.

Pricing has to be wrong

Kona: 43 million and 48 million KRW (33.016 and 36.840 euros)
    https://pushevs.com/2018/01/17/hyundai-starts-pre-orders-kona-electric/

Niro: 43,5 million KRW (32.923 €) 46,5 million KRW (35.194 €)
    https://pushevs.com/2018/03/01/kia-niro-ev-pre-orders-start-south-korea/

Those are the prices that was listed on that website.

I know Hyundai see themselves as premium brand compared to Kia but at those prices the Niro is a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sorry not to have done my homework here, but how big is the Niro compared with the Kona? A size bigger so a family of 5 would be comfortable in it? At least as big inside as an Ioniq? A 64kWh EV appeals to me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

unkel wrote: »
    Sorry not to have done my homework here, but how big is the Niro compared with the Kona? A size bigger so a family of 5 would be comfortable in it? At least as big inside as an Ioniq? A 64kWh EV appeals to me :)

It seems to be Ioniq/Prius size

At least a size bigger than Kona, a good size car

I prefer Kia 7 year/200k km warranty over Hyundai 5 year unlimited

I would get the full 7 years out of it

Buy for 35k, keep 7 years with basically no running costs and sell for 6-7k after 7 years

4k a year running costs plus the odd change of tyres

I am going to cancel model 3 and pre order this from Kia, it makes great financial sense and 200bhp/400km mixed range is just perfect, don't need more range for my driving and 200bhp/300lb/ft of electric power would be a blast.

They are only making 21k worldwide, will have to be fast here to get one.

Did u get scrappage on your Ioniq?Is it still going?

Doubt we will see scrappage on these long range EV’s , would be amazing if they did.

cd is 0.29 so probably 280km or so at motorway speeds from its 64kWh ususble pack

That easily covers city to city motorway driving in this country.

https://www.automobiledimension.com/car-comparison.php#!

thierry14 wrote: »
    I am going to cancel model 3 and pre order this from Kia, it makes great financial sense and 200bhp/400km mixed range is just perfect, don't need more range for my driving and 200bhp/300lb/ft of electric power would be a blast.

I think snow fever really has hit everyone. Gone from fanboy when Tesla are ruling the World to dumping their reservation for the best car in the World :P

I wouldnr cancel reservation anyway, keep it and sell to someone else.

I am shocked you are looking at something else than a Tesla?

Leaf II
    A: Overall length: 4,490MM
    B: Wheelbase: 2,700MM
    C: Overall width: 1,788MM
    D: Overall height: 1,540MM
    Shoulder room: ??
    Boot: 435

New Micra
    Overall length: 3,995 MM
    Wheelbase: 2,525 MM
    Overall width: 1,743 MM
    Overall height: 1,452 MM
    Shoulder: 1340mm
    Boot: 300

Kona EV
    Overall length: 4,180
    Wheelbase: 2,600
    Overall width: 1,800
    Overall height: 1,570
    Shoulder room: 1380
    Boot (VDA): 332

VW Golf
    Length: 4258
    Wheelbase: 2620
    Width: 1790
    Height: 1492
    Interior width: 1440
    Boot (VDA measuring): 380

The Kona is shorter, less boot space and less room across the back seat than a Leaf and a Golf.

Its more like a slightly larger SUV Micra than a Leaf.

If that suits you, then potentially a great car, pending price and availability.

Niro EV
    Lenght: 4.375 mm
    Wheelbase: 2.700 mm
    Width: 1.805 mm
    Height: 1.560 mm

The extra length gives you more legroom and boot space.
    We need the shoulder room figures for Leaf and Niro to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Niro EV
    Lenght: 4.375 mm
    Wheelbase: 2.700 mm
    Width: 1.805 mm
    Height: 1.560 mm

The extra length gives you more legroom and boot space.
    We need the shoulder room figures for Leaf and Niro to compare.

Niro (albeit not an EV) is in showrooms, no problem comparing the shoulder room with the Golf...

But... (quoting the rest from same [URL="[url]https://www.caranddriver.com/kia/niro/specs[/url]"]source[/URL] for completeness)

Niro
    Front shoulder room: 142.2 cm (56.0″)
    Rear shoulder room: 140.2 cm (55.2″)

Leaf II
    Front: 137.9 cm (54.3″)
    Rear: 133.3 cm (52.5″)

Golf
    Front: 142.0 cm (55.9″)
    Rear: 136.9 cm (53.9″)

Kona
    Front: 141.0 cm (55.5″)
    Rear: 138.5 cm (54.5″)

Micra (src)
    Front: 129.5 cm
    Rear: 126.9 cm

As time passes I am still not convinced about Model 3 and I think I am getting ready to do some serious business with Koreans instead...

grogi wrote: »
    Niro (albeit not an EV) is in showrooms, no problem comparing the shoulder room with the Golf...

But... (quoting the rest from same [URL="[url]https://www.caranddriver.com/kia/niro/specs[/url]"]source [/URL]for reference)

Niro
    Front shoulder room: 142.2 cm
    Rear shoulder room: 140.2 cm

Leaf
    Front: 137.9 cm (54.3")
    Rear: 133.3 cm (52.5")

Golf
    Front: 142.0 cm (55.9")
    Rear: 136.9 cm (53.9")

Kona
    Front: 141.0 cm (55.5")
    Rear: 138.5 cm (54.5")

As time passes I am still not convinced about Model3 and I think I am getting ready to do some serious business with Koreans instead...

Are they all the EV versions? Your figures for the Golf don't match mine (which I think I got from the VW website).

Are they all the EV versions? Your figures for the Golf don't match mine (which I think I got from the VW website).

Typically no. However there should be no batteries in the door carts... The rear bench might be shifted a bit in an EV though.

Also note that your figure for Golf is technically not shoulder room, but interior width...

• Advertisement

Typically no. However there should be no batteries in the door carts... The rear bench might be shifted a bit in an EV though.

Also note that your figure for Golf is technically not shoulder room, but interior width...

Your figures show the Kona as having more room in the rear than the new Leaf.... do you think thats accurate? Im skeptical.

Some of the other dimensions on caranddriver.com also dont match the official figures for the EV versions I posted, so I think you need to get the EV figures not the ICE equivalents.

Your figures show the Kona as having more room in the rear than the new Leaf.... do you think thats accurate? Im skeptical.

Kona (EV included) is wider than the Leaf II, in the figures you've quoted too. It is highly probable it will have more shoulder room too.

Anyway, there is virtually no reason why an EV would have different shoulder room than a corresponding ICE.

Kona (EV included) is wider than the Leaf II, in the figures you've quoted too. It is highly probable it will have more shoulder room too.

Anyway, there is virtually no reason why an EV would have different shoulder room than a corresponding ICE.

No reason, but they do! :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The lack of centre tunnel means you can move the seats closer to the middle, gives you more shoulder room on the outside.

liamog wrote: »
    The lack of centre tunnel means you can move the seats closer to the middle, gives you more shoulder room on the outside.

How does the position of the seats affect the the shoulder room!? That's not the room one person has, but overall width of the interior (left door to right door) at the height the shoulders of an average person are.

You don't expect for one person to have ~150 cm of room, right?! ;)

I think he means the seats can move further forward to a wider part of the body thus giving more width at that point?

I think he means the seats can move further forward to a wider part of the body thus giving more width at that point?

And compromising leg room, which is much more visible (AKA Skoda Superb phenomenon)?!

The seats will be moved forward as a last resort, not because they can be...

And compromising leg room, which is much more visible (AKA Skoda Superb phenomenon)?!

The seats will be moved forward as a last resort, not because they can be...

Well, that's a design decision/compromise.

The iPace video showed the designer talking about moving everyone forward so i guess they do make these decisions. EV has changed designs.

One of the reasons an EV seem roomier than an ICE, there are less restrictions on the cabin layout which can have a huge affect on perceived space.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your interest in the Niro EV. We expect to offer it in the first months of 2019; the Niro hybrid went on sale in South Korea in March 2016 and reached Europe by the end of the year, so we assume it will take a similar amount of time in this case.

Incidentally, we currently also offer a Niro plug-in hybrid, which also qualifies for a SEAI grant of €5,000 and EV-only range of over 50km.

Not currently, the EU-spec version won’t be announced until the autumn so I suspect it will be close to Christmas before the order books open.

The above is from Kia Ireland.

Advertisement