Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How did you score in your last round... 2018 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Had our Vpar competition on saturday. Finished 4 down to the course after losing the final 3 holes with bogeys.

Started with lovely drive/6iron to 5 feet for birdie and managed a few other wins parring 2 of the 5 holes i had shots on.

Highlights were reaching one par 5 in 2, couple of nice up and downs, and I also think i've got to grips with my driver again, back to playing a nice controlled draw.

Lows were the three 3-putts.

I think my stableford score was 32 but overall very happy to see competition tees back in play and the course playing to it's proper length. The winter tees made the handicaps very unrealistic over the past few months. 169 entrants to the competition, plenty of fair weather golfers out!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Mixed game on Saturday. Finishing with a 79 gross for 36 points.

Started with a drive/pw to 8 feet for birdie on the index 2, just missed the birdie on 2 which would have been the dream start. Followed this by a knockdown drive followed by a duff to scramble for a 6 and followed this with a bogey. Then went -2 for the last 5 holes on the front 9 with a badly missed 3 footer for birdie on another hole. So turned in 21 points at level par gross.

Good drive on 10 followed by a duff and a shank for a double. A lot of errors then around the back 9 to finish with 15 points.

3 birdies
    8 pars
    4 bogeys
    3 doubles

Happy enough with my ball striking and putting and can feel a good score in there. Scratch cup now next week off the Blues which is over 7,000 yards so always a good test!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

33 points in my clubs open yesterday

Included 8 pars
    a few bougies
    A couple of doubles and 4 scratches!

Chipping killed me again was absolutely shocking! I really believe if I could chip I'd be off single figures!

Positives

8 pars 5 in a row..should of being 6..
    Being working on a fade off the Tee (I naturally draw it) and hit some great ones.. Great feeling been able to shape the ball both ways. If only I could do it with my Irons..

Course management

Is paying off. First par 5 used 4 iron off the tee then rescue as OOB is all right and made the green (ok wind was behind but still) taught to myself handy birdie here only to 3 putt :mad:

I think my game is close just need more course time as being so busy of late. And if I could learn how to chip with a scorecard in my hand that be great too...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Was hoping for a qualifying round at the weekend, but alas, it was a week too early.

It was the qualifier for the singles matchplay, which was stableford off the medal tees. (I'm not eligible for the matchplay as its only open to full members, and I'm a lifestyle member)

Had 33 points, 86 strokes. Would have been enough to qualify for the event, towards the bottom end of the seedings.

Drove the ball really well...with driver. But when I went down a club to a hybrid I was hitting the ball terribly, which is a complete reversal of fortunes for me. I can usually bank on a safe fairway hit with much higher regularity with the hybrids in hand.

Hit everything off the deck pretty well including a couple of sweet 3-woods, but scrambled really poorly (as in, my scrambling stats from GameGolf give me 0%), and hit a couple of week putts that were bang online. Given my scrambling numbers, it was probably actually a pretty good round. Was a bit disappointed as I've been a lot more positive around the greens in recent rounds.

2 Birdies
    3 Pars
    10 Bogeys
    3 Doubles

Made it round with 1 golf ball & no scratches, which is a positive to take from it.

First medal of the year next weekend, which is likely to be combined with first qualifying round of the year, so looking like a baptism of fire for the handicap in 2018 :D

Have been 31,38,31,38,33 for my last 5 rounds, which obviously means I'm going to shoot the equivalent of at least 38-40 stableford points in my next round ;)

CSS is rarely 72 in my place in a medal, usually plays a minimum of one stroke tougher, so hopefully come away with a positive result!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭BOB81

Played first full 18 holes in 6 months last weekend between other commitments taking precedent (new nipper and significant house renovation). Played Killeen (in Kildare) in a fourball matchplay and we won 4 and 2. Off my own ball I had 40 points off 14 (albeit placing everywhere) so very happy with that considering the layoff.

2 birdies
    7 pars
    7 bogeys
    1 double
    1 scratch (lost drive)

A couple of poor 3-putts and the lost drive (on what should be a straightforward hole - the 13th) were the only really terrible shots, looking forward to getting out this weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

played scratch cup at the weekend. 4hours 10 mins for 13 holes, wasnt playing well so we called it a day there. didnt fancy a 5hr plus round. 2 8's and 2 7's are a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Haven't got much golf on a course in lately - so got out for 12 holes there and was a bit of a luxury to get out at all.

What a mad day of weather, strong to near gale gusts - with driving rain then a burst of hailstones - then stunning sun - but wind would cut the face off you.

Hit the ball fantastic and started with 5 pars in a row. Hitting the ball very well - but getting up and down too.

Then bang - an explosion of rain - followed by lightning on the horizon then a savage burst of hail stones - two bogies in that time - was unfortunate, as started to think it would be nice to go the 12 holes in par.

On my last hole into the wind had 154 y to pin - put ball at back of stance, set up for a draw with 6I and was a dream like strike, drawing towards the pin. Its something I was working on last year and then in range over winter. Great shot to have in bag for head wind golf with left hand side pin.

Played well coming in with the wind and for fun - went at one on the last with wind etc - 340 yards - you deserve a big one when the wind has ripped you up all day.

Have struggled for a good year with wedges - and great drives like this, 6 times out of 10 leave me struggling to get a par - incredibly frustrating - when I have a S/W it is like the club slips under the ball and it goes about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way or is thin. This game could drive you mad.

I tried to go to a 52 today instead of a 56 - nice and wide and inside and ended up at 5 foot from the pin.

I definitely now have a mental issue with 100 yards or less in. The strike and divot - is just all over the place.

I missed the putt - but the the putting is very rusty and just not practiced with the weather and fact I don't have the time.

Very positive stuff - If I could hit a wedge and get to a putting green you never know - could be a good round in me.

2 over for 12.
    Only had 18 putts in total - but a good few just off and made up and down.

Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played my first casual in a while today and what a day for it in Moyvalley

Forecast said 5-6m/s wind and .2mm rain. Instead we got a storm. Had to stop for about 20mins at one stage. Had the umbrella on my shoulder with my back to the wind and rain and could put 90% of my weight onto the umbrella !

Never played in anything like it.

Played the front 9 hitting different shots I don't get a chance to in a comp, trying some things out etc.

Match play on the back 9 and finished 6 over with two pars and a birdie and 3up. Felt it was a very good score for me in that weather.

Course is in super condition aswell.

Just finished my first 9 hole comp of the year.
    Par, Double, Par, Birdie, Birdie, Bogey, Bogey, Double, Double.
    Level after 5, +6 after 9. 15 points.
    5/8 FIR, 5/9 GIR, 18 Putts

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

An horrific 30 points today. 5 pars in the last 7 put a gloss on it, and by put a gloss in it, I mean wiped away some of the ****e! At least was hitting it well towards the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

First qualifying round of the year, strokes in the scratch up off the blue tees.

Open with a solid par, missed the 8 footer for birdie. 2nd tee hit my drive up the middle, had 132 to the pin slightly uphill so hit a solid wedge and it cleared everything into the back bunker with an impossible downhill shot. Got it to the front of the green and preceded to 4 putt and walk off with a 7! Finished the front 9 then at +4. Two birdie opportunities missed along the way.

Back 9 opened with the easiest hole on the course but walk off with a 6. A good par save on 2 and par on 3. OB on 4 so walk off with another 6. Scramble around the back 9 to finish +5 so 81 overall and 74 Nett. CSS was 75 for the day so a nice cut which gets me into down to 6.2, the lowest I've been.

Finished 13th overall so qualified into the matchplay so will get another cut at the blue tees this summer.

Played rosapenna junior scratch cup yesterday. Fantastic event and fantastic conditions.

Took me 8 holes to get the driver going. Had a lost ball (treble bogey) with 2 other double bogeys on the front nine. Recovered slightly on back nine with 5 pars in a row. Finished first round 86 (+12 f9 and +3 b9).

Second round on sandy hills where I was striking it much better. Was going nicely at +2 through 7 but a poor drive on 8 where ball plugged into a sand dune resulted in a penalty drop and a few poor shots later, i was +5 through 8. 5 pars and 5 bogeys on the way home left me +10.

So +25 for the day (+13 through final 27 for the optimist in me). One lost ball, 3 3putts and my poor driving early in the day done the damage. Should have took my oil at times and went for the safer option when in trouble. Good to get playing with a few other 5s, witnessed some quality golf from my playing partners. Looking forward to some similar events later in the year where hopefully can get round with some better golf.

Haven't seen any scores published but heard Rory Leonard shot 68 on sandy hills. -5 back nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

Net 70 in april monthly medal off 18 handicap. Played good golf overall and apart from 2 holes where an oob drive cost me a 7 treble bogey on the 7th and a horrible 8 on the index 1 par 4 later in round.

Two poor holes prob cost a really good chance at a high finish. Hopefully still get a small cut and looking forward to the next round .

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Started off great and shot +4 gross for the front 9. 24 points on the front 9....10 on the back with 3 scratches! Really struggling to hold a decent round at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Started off great and shot +4 gross for the front 9. 24 points on the front 9....10 on the back with 3 scratches! Really struggling to hold a decent round at the moment

Exact opposite . Had 9 points after 6 holes. Then got my s##t together and finished with 37. And could have had 39 cos putts on 15 and 16 we're soooooo close to dropping. Missed categories last two weeks on countback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Bit of a stinker in the medal. Buried by 4 bad holes.

Shot 95 (Net 82).

Did have the pleasure of playing with a Pro golfer though! He just put his name down on the sheet beside me.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

First round of the year and 31 points off 17 on a damp Castlemartyr course. That included 4 scratches so happy with that. Pared the last 2 to make it respectable. Greens, fairways and tee boxes in great nick but anything in the rough was like a swamp after all the rain during last week. 
    Enjoyed my round though which is the main thing.

First competitive comp in a few games and it shows, getting sloppy on putts and the game in general. I find competitive golf keeps me much more focused.

35 points off 21 in some pretty wet weather.

Should have been a cut but my head wasn't in it etc etc. I just didn't play well enough.

9 hole comp last night. +3 for 18 points

6/8 FIR
    4/9 GIR
    2/6 Up and downs
    17 Putts

Playing partner hit +4 for 22 points. 16 H/C

First round of the over 17HC matchplay today.

Won 4&2

Some pretty bad golf to kick off but found form on end of the front and the back nine with a few pars. Opponent (18HC) was playing well with both of us beating our handicaps.

Enjoyed it, very relaxed round.

• Advertisement

18 hole stableford today off the whites. Handicap up to 6. Shot 30points.

10 Pars, 4 bogeys, 2 doubles, 2 lost balls (didn't finish out hole)

6/18 GIR, 7/14 FIR.

Scrambled very well with 5 up and downs and 1 bunker save. Nearly chipped in for birdie twice.

Two silly 3 putts. If i can get my irons going there is a 73/74 in there, obviously need to increase my GIR.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

God i was bad today. Irons were ok, but i couldn't hit the new driver at all. Like at all. Massive hook left every time, and it demolished my score. Switched to using my 3 iron off the tee's for a while, but switched back as i figured i should practice some more, and it continued being a mess.

Really need to spend some time at the range with it.

Ah well, Corballis on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Terrible round yesterday, although gave up after 10 really. Unreal weather, it's probably why I stayed out. Need to stop over-thinking the game and just hit the ball in the general direction of the green.

Went out again today after yesterdays abysmal round, and played much better. The driver still isn't quite there, but it's a lot better than it was, and i think i've got it figured out. Some lovely iron shots, and good long putts. Still only 32 points, but that's about 20 better than what i had :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

First round in three weeks today, savage weather - crazy golf.

8 points for the front 9 (yes 8), 19 for the back 9.

Golf is hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

21 points twice in a row in a weekend....first was bad play (44 putts) and second was just every bad shot ended in a scratch (7 and 35 putts)............NEED play myself out of this

Played in Corballis today, and wasn't very good. Tired, as it was my first time playing 3 rounds in 3 days, but hit some nice shots with the irons again (bladed too many chips though), and had a few good drives. Should at least be able to avoid embarrassing myself in Enniscrone this weekend.

Stroke play on Sunday. shot 80 gross (+9) 74 net. 70 net won the cat 1 prize so definitely one that got away.

Was level through 6, hooked 3 wood OB and ended up with a triple bogey. Recovered with 3 pars on 8-10 so I was +3 through 10. Too many mistakes on back 9, bogeyed 6 out of the remaining 8 holes.

1 Birdie, 9 Pars, 6 Bogeys, 1 Treble Bogey 
    11/14 FIR
    8/18 GIR

30 Points in Slieve Russell Open

Handful of pars and 4 scratches and 3 lost balls.

It's been a few years since I played it but didn't remember it being as tough/long.

1 plugged and lost ball, one I just couldn't find in the rough and 1 in the water thanks to a big auld gust.

The length and incline meant I hit driver more than usual but with a 1 club breeze alot of them were still out of reach for me. And it was a good day with the driver with my distance up to 240-250+ carry (220-230 normal) bar 2-3 miss struck drives.

The greens were rolling ok but the undulations were much more severe than I'm used to and found pace tough to guess when paired with them.

I seen past Open days play 3 shots harder CSS so I hope I got the buffer but felt the course well and truly kicked my arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

Played the Black Tees in Druids Heath on Monday, 29 points, was delighted. 11 and 12 scratched as well.

Advertisement