Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung S9/9+

• 13-01-2018 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Looks like it will be released next month, I love my S8+, so really interested in seeing what they do to encourage me to change to the 9+
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5.8-inch Quad HD+ AMOLED display[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8-megapixel front-facing camera,[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IP68 water and dust resistant rating [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Iris scanner[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]64GB of storage, 4GB of RAM[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wireless charging support[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

DJ Koh confirmed it will be unveiled at MWC at the end of February.
    They will also announce then when it will hit the shops but that's expected to be early March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Perfect timing for the end of my 2 year contract and my S7 Edge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

Ha me too. I'm undecided to go sim free and a 30 day rolling contract or sign up with 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Upgraded to S8+ two weeks ago from iPhone 8, have an upgrade next year the joys of having my better halfs number on my account, I might even give her the S8.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The official announcement date is February 25th.

The tag line is "The Camera. Reimagined."

IzcNzQw.jpg?1

https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s9-launch-event-confirmed-february-25-barcelona

• Advertisement

Hopefully they will reimagine the fingerprint scanner and that Bixby crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Leaked images. Looks to me anyway as if they got rid of infinity screen. I could be wrong though.

439886.png

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/26/16936204/samsung-galaxy-s9-images-leak-specs-rumors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Leaked images. Looks to me anyway as if they got rid of infinity screen. I could be wrong though.

439886.png

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/26/16936204/samsung-galaxy-s9-images-leak-specs-rumors

It does, think it looks to be more flat screen with a bit of side bezel. Of course these are mock ups. I’d be very surprised if they done away with infinity screen at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Will be jumping back aboard android for this one. 18 months with an iPhone 7 is enough.

Will be jumping back aboard android for this one. 18 months with an iPhone 7 is enough.

I'm confused as to why you switched over to iphone in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    If it had a decent DAC like the v30 I'd be keen. Otherwise I'll wait for the Sony XZ Pro to upgrade from my XZ premium.

That would be class, unfortunately the masses don't seem to care much about it. It would be a great 2 fingers to the 'no headphone port' brigade too.

SuprSi wrote: »
    That would be class, unfortunately the masses don't seem to care much about it. It would be a great 2 fingers to the 'no headphone port' brigade too.

I'm part of the masses. I cannot tell the difference between a MP3 and other full file format or cheap and expensive headphones.

Cheap headphones and MP3's do me fine and no need for a proper DAC either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Markred123

Hoping to pick this up when it comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Contract is up on my S7 in july.. Might look at this

They'll need to be careful with the prices of these new handsets. Rumours of an increase of over €100 for the normal model, which is an awful lot.

I'm not sure if I'd be happy paying that much for a phone, and if these prices are to be believed, will likely wait until 6 months in and they start to discount them.

I know prices in general are rising but Apple were taking the piss with the X and if the other big players follow suit, I'll either not upgrade or go for a Chinese model.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭MarkY91

SuprSi wrote: »
    They'll need to be careful with the prices of these new handsets. Rumours of an increase of over €100 for the normal model, which is an awful lot.

I'm not sure if I'd be happy paying that much for a phone, and if these prices are to be believed, will likely wait until 6 months in and they start to discount them.

I know prices in general are rising but Apple were taking the piss with the X and if the other big players follow suit, I'll either not upgrade or go for a Chinese model.

I felt like a moron paying €800 for the Samsung S8. I cannot justify spending a cent more on a god damn phone. I'll wait for discounts too.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I felt like a moron paying €800 for the Samsung S8. I cannot justify spending a cent more on a god damn phone. I'll wait for discounts too.

I waited about 3 months after release and got the S8 for €580,I cannot understand the need to have a phone on the week of release. They always drop after a few months.
    I'll be hoping to get the S9 in May with a nice drop in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭Darren 83

yabadabado wrote: »
    I waited about 3 months after release and got the S8 for €580,I cannot understand the need to have a phone on the week of release. They always drop after a few months.

I got the S8+ on my other halfs upgrade for a good price plus half price plan for a year. My upgrade is due in May next year so I'll holding out for the S9+ or note.

I got sucked into the hype. €800 was a stupid price to pay for nothing really worthwhile in terms of upgrading from the S7. I don't know what people are talking about when they say it's leaps and bounds above the S7. The curved screen isn't even noticeable once you put a case on it.

I'm looking forward to eventually upgrading again but I'll be smart and wait like you did this time.

• Advertisement

I got sucked into the hype. €800 was a stupid price to pay for nothing really worthwhile in terms of upgrading from the S7. I don't know what people are talking about when they say it's leaps and bounds above the S7. The curved screen isn't even noticeable once you put a case on it.

I'm looking forward to eventually upgrading again but I'll be smart and wait like you did this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,577 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Phones have hit a plateau in my opinion just as PCs and laptops did years ago.. The S7/Edge is still perfectly usable and acceptable (as is the S6/Edge/Edge+ for that matter), the S8/8+ have the bigger screen but otherwise very little else, and the upcoming 9/9+ looks to have even less to differentiate themselves from the current models.

Plus most people don't have almost a thousand quid to blow on what is still just a phone - especially given how easy they can be lost, broken or stolen and as the networks are tying people to 2 year contracts, that diminishes your potential upgrade market even more.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Phones have hit a plateau in my opinion just as PCs and laptops did years ago.. The S7/Edge is still perfectly usable and acceptable (as is the S6/Edge/Edge+ for that matter), the S8/8+ have the bigger screen but otherwise very little else, and the upcoming 9/9+ looks to have even less to differentiate themselves from the current models.

Plus most people don't have almost a thousand quid to blow on what is still just a phone - especially given how easy they can be lost, broken or stolen and as the networks are tying people to 2 year contracts, that diminishes your potential upgrade market even more.

I agree. However I am excited to eventually get the s9 for the camera. Supposed good bokeh effect like the Google pixel.

I'll hold off for well into the summer before I even look into buying but I can't wait for the reveal anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

Will the price drop on contract prices after a few months too?

I usually buy my phones sim free but thinking of a 24 month contract with 3 for the S9+.

Just wondering will the price drop a few months after release or will it stay consistent with the day one prices?

j14 wrote: »
    Will the price drop on contract prices after a few months too?

I usually buy my phones sim free but thinking of a 24 month contract with 3 for the S9+.

Just wondering will the price drop a few months after release or will it stay consistent with the day one prices?

I suppose no one really knows for certain but the last few flagships from Samsung have dropped after a couple of months. IIRC S6,7 and 8 all dropped considerably within 4/5 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Grateful Dread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

According to a store rep I spoke with, VF stores are taking preorders Monday to be in people's hands on the 6th March. If you don't preorder then you wait for general release which is a couple weeks later I guess.

Apparently the rumoured £100 increase isn't happening, but it will go up by £50 or so per handset

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Are they only be available on contract or SIM free / prepaid also I wonder? S9+ 1000€ + I bet. Even with a camera that has variable aperture and a 30ish % hike in performance (at least for s845 according to Gary on Android Authority), I can't see it being a worthwhile upgrade for s8+ users. Phones already perform good enough and apps don't make use of the extra horsepower. Plus all galaxy's eventually lag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Official Samsung video here (jump ahead to about 59s to the start of it)

This video leans more towards business use, but it's a fantastic looking phone.

Advertisement