Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung S9/9+

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Where is the best value on a sim free version? I don't want to be signing up for a 24 month contract.

Can we buy from Samsung site or is there anywhere I could trade in a S6 to get a bit of the price. I see Samsung are offering 152 for a S6 which seems like a good deal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

yabadabado wrote: »
    Where is the best value on a sim free version? I don't want to be signing up for a 24 month contract.

Can we buy from Samsung site or is there anywhere I could trade in a S6 to get a bit of the price. I see Samsung are offering 152 for a S6 which seems like a good deal to me.

Sell it for 150-200 on adverts.ie and wait a few weeks for some of the reputable shops with good feedback to be selling them for 650-750 sim free new ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

rizzee wrote: »
    Sell it for 150-200 on adverts.ie and wait a few weeks for some of the reputable shops with good feedback to be selling them for 650-750 sim free new ;)

You think they'll be selling at that price by April? If I can get a good sale price on adverts for my s8 then I would be interested in buying the s9 at 750

MarkY91 wrote: »
    You think they'll be selling at that price by April? If I can get a good sale price on adverts for my s8 then I would be interested in buying the s9 at 750

Yes, I'd be highly confident with that.

Judging last year when I got my S8 in August/September - €549 on Adverts when they were €649 at some stages of sales with Amazon and €799 locked to a network in shops.

I could very easily say they will be €750 max on Adverts within 4-6 weeks of release.

You'll get €470-€520 for your S8 now anyway, presumably. I'm going to hold onto mine until at least the end of the year. I can't justify putting another €200ish with mine if I sold it to get the S9.

But I will be following it thoroughly from it's release and I hope it does well :)

Amazon.it were selling the S8 for €598 on 31/5/17.
    Hopefully the S9 has taken a similar drop by May of this year.
    Its out a bit earlier this year so maybe a significant drop by start of May.

• Advertisement

Amazon.it were selling the S8 for €598 on 31/5/17.
    Hopefully the S9 has taken a similar drop by May of this year.
    Its out a bit earlier this year so maybe a significant drop by start of May.

Good point!!

Definitely keep an eye on Amazon and Adverts shops. Seem to be the cheapest around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I remember buying the s8 on release day then seeing the online prices a few weeks later. I felt even more stupid than I already did after spending €800 on a phone lol. I'll definitely be waiting until may or June.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

if you dont buy it on launch day then you will already be thinking about the note 9 or s10.
    you have to buy quickly :)

secondly., be careful buying a phone like this on adverts. ive had 3 screen replacements on my s7 edge. you might not be able to get insurance on second hand phone

site_owner wrote: »
    if you dont buy it on launch day then you will already be thinking about the note 9 or s10.
    you have to buy quickly :)

secondly., be careful buying a phone like this on adverts. ive had 3 screen replacements on my s7 edge. you might not be able to get insurance on second hand phone

I have no idea about insurance on second hand but I couldn't source it for the S8 because it was bought outside Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

If anyone is planning on buying the plus youd be much better off ordering it from car phone warehouse in the UK. It has double the storage and a free memory card. They also have the blue colour that's not available in Ireland. Just use parcel motel for the delivery address.

If you live near the border they are doing good trade in deals too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I have no idea about insurance on second hand but I couldn't source it for the S8 because it was bought outside Ireland.

Hmm, is this a common issue for phones bought outside Ireland? That may limit my options, as I kinda do want to insure it.

Branoic wrote: »
    Hmm, is this a common issue for phones bought outside Ireland? That may limit my options, as I kinda do want to insure it.

I dunno but it was a problem with S8. I'm probably going to wait and see for a price within Ireland as S8 only lasted a few months :o

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

Any thoughts on the cases available, should one buy a screen protector for S9/+? Also any thoughts on the fast wireless charger accessory?

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

kokiyou wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the cases available, should one buy a screen protector for S9/+? Also any thoughts on the fast wireless charger accessory?
    does anyone know what case Vodafone are giving free with pre-orders?

You need a UK postcode for the carphone warehouse uk order by the way. It is required for the billing address so cannot use my usual card. Same price on amazon uk but without the free microSD card worth 30 sterling and the trade in offer if you wanted to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I've an s6 and I see lots of people here saying they're changing to s9 and it's going to be a massive jump and change. Likewise people coming from 7s and 8s.
    What's the difference exactly? Would it be a noticeably different user experience?

kokiyou wrote: »
    You need a UK postcode for the carphone warehouse uk order by the way. It is required for the billing address so cannot use my usual card. Same price on amazon uk but without the free microSD card worth 30 sterling and the trade in offer if you wanted to use it.

I ordered and used the parcel motel for billing address.

Dylan94 wrote: »
    I ordered and used the parcel motel for billing address.

Didn't work on my revolut card.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

Anyone get an upgrade price from 3 for the new s9

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

butrasgali wrote: »
    Anyone get an upgrade price from 3 for the new s9

It's €299 on the €60 p/m plan. Last year when I upgraded I got it for €30 cheaper plus 2 months free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

When can we expect reviews to be published? I read on one site that they have their review model but I'm wondering whether they have to wait until after the pre-order period is over.

Just pre-ordered the Plus in Coral Blue, will be available for pick-up on Friday :)

SuprSi wrote: »
    Just pre-ordered the Plus in Coral Blue, will be available for pick-up on Friday :)

Where did you order from? I couldn't see any where with the plus in Blue?

I live in the UK and got it in Carphone Warehouse - was going to wait for the reviews but I know it'll be an upgrade on my S7 Edge and I got a good trade-in deal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

In my part of the world, the 9+ is 822 Euros and the 9 is 735, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to trade up from an 8+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Grateful Dread

You can preorder the S9 on Virgin Media for 179 (47pm and 60pm after six months). Pretty good deal at the moment.

I'm tempted. Between that and the Note 8.

I wouldn't like to be tied into 24 month contract with VM.
    Works out at €1541 over the 24 months.

I think I'll stick with Vodafone infinity and go sim free once someone sells it at a decent price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Grateful Dread

Yeah you're right. I actually qualify for VF infinity, but I'm hesitant to sign up to a contract to get it.

Yeah you're right. I actually qualify for VF infinity, but I'm hesitant to sign up to a contract to get it.

Sorry I actually meant the Vodafone X deal. €20 every 4 weeks. No contract, its payg.
    A large thread in bargain alerts about setting it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Carphone Warehouse in UK giving and extra £100 off trade ins.

Example: Samsung S6 £90 + an additional £100 off a sim free S9 64GB valued at £739, total value £549 or approx. €620 converted. Not bad !!

Considering Vodafone Ireland want €679.99 for a sim free 64GB S8, and Carphone Warehouse Ireland want €749.99

UK trade-in link
    https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/trade-in.html#ankTableSctn

Why arn't Carphone Warehouse Ireland doing the same?

Advertisement