Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm pretty happy with new Kona.
    Looks like a great car for DINKs (Dual Income No Kids) room for the dog in the back too.

I was reading PushEVs, thoughts that the NCM811 is more thermally sensitive than the NCM622 in the Ioniq. This is like why the charge rate is around 1.5C instead of the 2.5C the Ioniq achieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ei9go

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Captur, Juke, C-HR all in same range

If I compare sizes, the Kona is a bit bigger than Captur but smaller than C-HR

My friend has hybrid C-HR, she brought our 2 kids in back and that was back full more or less

To be fair it seems to be wider than Golf so it might be option

The boot in the Kona is the same as the Captur's at first glance.

However as soon as you remove the boot shelf in the Captur you have way more room and you don't have the clever handle to move the backs seats forward like the Captur has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The more I look at this the more I like it.

Boot space is not an issue, I have eGolf for a year and the boot has carried the dog box a few times and rest of the time it has the tyre change kit and granny cable in it.

If the interior seats are similar size to eGolf then I have the additional height.

If I could get one this year I might buy, even long term the Misses loves the look of it so she could take it and I swap the Galaxy to a larger Electric when it becomes available

The red & black colours look nice

If I could get out of house I would go to Hyundai dealer to have a look :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

So the 39kW does 300km and the 64kW does 470km based on the new WLTP test

But the question is how do you compare this to car that had numbers based on NEDC?

Or can you do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

But the question is how do you compare this to car that had numbers based on NEDC?

Or can you do that?

according to this article (https://pushevs.com/2016/10/13/wltp-electric-cars/) there is evidence that the WLTP will be similar to the EPA range...

So if EPA range for Ioniq is 124miles (200km)
    And the NEDC range is 280km

Then using some very dodgy basic maths you could assume
    1) NEDC reports about 40% over EPA
    2.) EPA is pretty accurate to mixed driving reality
    3.) WLTP will be similar to EPA

So if you assume 1,2 and 3 above are correct(ish) then you can guesstimate that the NEDC figures would have been around...

420km for the 39kW and
    658km for the 64kW

(Yes I know there are a significant amount of assumptions in my calculations)
    (Also, I'm numerically borderline literate so please check my figures, calculations and assumptions)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

Strange video from Hyundai - was that woman pretending to be a robot, or was it completely AI generated? Strange in any case.

I have seen petrol Kona next to an Ioniq. Ioniq's boot is slightly larger and oveall more flexible. Kona is small but it is a 'compact crossover' afterall. It's a strictly 2+2 car, it would be hard to fit an adult between two high-back booster seats in the back, but should be fit a child in a narrow booster seat. It doesn't matter though, wife seems to love it - the higher up position, the colours etc. She wasn't keen on Ioniq (for the exact same reasons).

Dutch video suggested 35k... wouldn't pay 75% premium over petrol version just because it's ev. 25% is fine, 40% is pushing it, 50% is where I draw the line...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Or can you do that?

WLTP figures are closer to EPA figures.

Eg. Nissan Leaf 2018

EPA: 243km
    WLTP: 285km
    NEDC: 378km

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

positron wrote: »
    Dutch video suggested 35k... wouldn't pay 75% premium over petrol version just because it's ev. 25% is fine, 40% is pushing it, 50% is where I draw the line...

You also have to look at the kit that comes with the car, the EV specs are closer to the Kona Premium which is 26k. You're looking at 9k over the petrol version.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Dunno if WLTP is such a great test either for EVs.

WLTC-class3.png?x53636

It takes 30 minutes and only 1 minute is driven at or over 120km/h. It's mostly city traffic where all EVs are great and nobody needs the range

We need the range at speed! A range test at a constant 120km/h would be far more useful for most people in the civilized world who use mostly motorways for long distance driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

I think you have to take into consideration the overall cost of ownership and how much you drive.  If you drive a lot, 30k+ km per year owning electric is the better option.  Once you buy it running and maintenance are a fraction of an ICE car.  Case in point having driven 40000 km in 10 months I have saved myself about 4200 euro on petrol/diesel and probably another couple of hundred on maintenance,  so I am up 4500 on the year and if I do the same next year I am up the guts of 10000 euro so electric makes a lot of sense.  If you are only doing 10 - 15000 km per year then it is harder to justify.  But The reason we didnt have EVs until Tesla came along is that automakers dont want to give up that after market servicing , it is too lucrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not lucrative for the automakers but it's the regular, milking cow, for the dealership network. Thus the dealers don't need to be given as much of a cut on an ICE sale, IWT.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Dglflyer wrote: »
    I think you have to take into consideration the overall cost of ownership and how much you drive.  If you drive a lot, 30k+ km per year owning electric is the better option. 

I drove a worthless banger with zero depreciation doing about 10k km per year. I scrapped it and bought a brand new EV. I now do closer to 20k km per year. My total cost of ownership including the depreciation on a brand new car is now lower doing almost twice the distance...

The very generous €10k subsidy, the free public (or very cheap night rate home) electricity, the lowest motor tax, tolls soon to be free, almost zero maintenance, lower insurance, free install of your home charger, zero or even negative depreciation, and I haven't even started to talk about the pleasure and ease of driving an EV.

And as you say, the more you drive, the more you save with EVs

Why not more people have copped onto this is hard to understand. Maybe EV owners don't go to pubs much and brag to other people :p

unkel wrote: »
    Why not more people have copped onto this is hard to understand. Maybe EV owners don't go to pubs much and brag to other people :p

We're all on the road doing cheap mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Casati

I drove a worthless banger with zero depreciation doing about 10k km per year. I scrapped it and bought a brand new EV. I now do closer to 20k km per year. My total cost of ownership including the depreciation on a brand new car is now lower doing almost twice the distance...

The very generous €10k subsidy, the free public (or very cheap night rate home) electricity, the lowest motor tax, tolls soon to be free, almost zero maintenance, lower insurance, free install of your home charger, zero or even negative depreciation, and I haven't even started to talk about the pleasure and ease of driving an EV.

That’s interesting you had negative depreciation, did you actually sell your ev for more than you bought it for?

Casati wrote: »
    That’s interesting you had negative depreciation, did you actually sell your ev for more than you bought it for?

Depending on when/type of electric car the depreciation at the moment can be negative.

My own isnt:P but I bought a Leaf last year, perfect condition. Low mileage. I paid under 7k for it. Would probably get 8-9k for it today.

I see more & more posts on forums for people looking to get a good quality second hand electric car but can't find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I see more & more posts on forums for people looking to get a good quality second hand electric car but can't find.

That's because more and more people have realised the savings to be had and the market has increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's also very handy not thinking of, will it won't it start on a morning like this morning. So many people a 2nd hand EV with limited range would suit, elderly, school runs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

What was the 10k subsidy if you don't mind me asking?

Presuming 5k scrappage deal and 5k government grant?

5k Grant, 5k VRT Reduction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Was parked beside the Kona yesterday in Airside in my Ioniq.
    It's very small, a little bit taller but I couldn't get over its shortness and width. No way are you fitting 3 in the back and most definitely not with 2 kids seats. The boot is short but taller obviously than the ioniq so not sure which is bigger capacity wise.
    One other thing was the it has a fairly big flat grill on the front, not ideal for aerodynamics, I'd presume there'll be a design change for the EV version.

I don't think its an ideal car for anyone with kids though. Hopefully they put the same batteries in the Ioniq soon.

lafors wrote: »
    Was parked beside the Kona yesterday in Airside in my Ioniq.
    It's very small, a little bit taller but I couldn't get over its shortness and width. No way are you fitting 3 in the back and most definitely not with 2 kids seats. The boot is short but taller obviously than the ioniq so not sure which is bigger capacity wise.
    One other thing was the it has a fairly big flat grill on the front, not ideal for aerodynamics, I'd presume there'll be a design change for the EV version.

I don't think its an ideal car for anyone with kids though. Hopefully they put the same batteries in the Ioniq soon.

It is perfect for 2 kids. Anymore and you will struggle

To be fair it is a compact crossover so it is not made for more than 2

https://www.facebook.com/www.Hyundai.News/

See the �� premiere of Hyundai's All-New Kona Electric at the Geneva International Motor Show ✨

Livestream here, Tuesday March 6th – 10:15am CET

Found this on facebook. Might be worth watching as prices might be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

There are some slight changes to the Kona's dimensions for the electric version.
    It's a smidge longer and a smidge taller than the combustion Kona, a few liters extra cabin room and circa 10L extra boot space.

But yeah, if you need an affordable EV with more space go for a Leaf or a Niro EV (if you can wait 'til 191).

For 2025
    8 Hybrid
    4 PHEV
    5 Electric
    1 Fuel Cell

I really like the red in it.....I knew I would :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

https://www.facebook.com/www.Hyundai.News/

See the �� premiere of Hyundai's All-New Kona Electric at the Geneva International Motor Show ✨

Livestream here, Tuesday March 6th – 10:15am CET

Found this on facebook. Might be worth watching as prices might be announced.
    I thought Elon was bad at presenting, these guys are at a different level of worse... a lot of jargons, words, pointless pauses - saying a lot of words without saying anything. Hardly any reaction from crowd either - I wonder if it was an exclusive to Press event.
    Anyway, Nexa - what's the fuel cell support like in Ireland/Europe? They didn't announce any dates / prices for Kona either (unless I missed it skipping thru the video).

Hi Magnificent,

thanks for getting in touch. The electric KONA is likely to arrive in dealerships for 182 but we cannot confirm that for definite as of yet. Hyundai Ireland expects to be in a position to confirm that in the next month or so.

Thanks,
    The Hyundai Ireland Team

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Walk around of the Kona at Geneva today. It's in a Italian but you get a nice look at the car. Any Italian speakers here feel free to translate the general gist of it :D

Some things I picked up on.

- 358km on the GOM / 75% SOC in Sport Mode
    - Nice set of toys/options - HUD, electronically adjustable front seats with heat/cooling, leather interior, sun/glass roof, front/rear parking sensors with camera
    - Usual LKAS, Blindspot, Smart cruise control etc.
    - I like the look of the floating central console. Looks clean and a bit more upmarket compared to the Ioniq anyway
    - Steering wheel looks identical to the Ioniq, has the regen paddles so all good there
    - Rear passenger room doesn't look too bad but it's hard to tell. Will have to judge that in person
    - Wireless induction charging option
    - Doesn't appear to be any storage up front. Shame, looks like there is some room up there to at least fit the charging cable.
    - Boot looks ok, would be nice to have the retractable parcel shelf found in the Ioniq. Minimal storage under the boot floor, might fit the charge cable there.
    - Push to open charge port door - Pain in the ass in the Ioniq having to remember to pop the fuel flap :P

Have to say I'm interested!

• Advertisement

Looks tiny, the boot also looks too small, very shallow , a Golf probably has a larger boot ?

Could be packaged far better to create more passenger room.

Seriously , why did they have to make it so small ?

Not a big fan of the interior either, perhaps I was expecting too much ?

I think this car could and should have been a lot better.

Advertisement