Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Looks tiny, the boot also looks too small, very shallow , a Golf probably has a larger boot ?

Could be packaged far better to create more passenger room.

Seriously , why did they have to make it so small ?

Not a big fan of the interior either, perhaps I was expecting too much ?

I think this car could and should have been a lot better.

Not everyone wants or needs a big car.Smaller cars sell very well in most European countries.Cost is very important too.

Looks like it would be perfect for my needs.If they can achieve something approaching the efficiency of the Ioniq it will be a great buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Size won't matter.. Look how many Jukes/Chr's sold.

Starting to get into game changer times.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Another walk around, this time in Spanish.

There's a few shots with people sitting in the back. He sits in the back himself around the 7:40 mark. Not sure if he mentions what height he is but it seems ok. I think I could live with it.

Noticed another nice feature at the 5:40 mark. It looks like you can limit the charge to a specific %. Similar to how Tesla have the 'Daily vs. Trip' option. It would be nice to have the option in the Ioniq instead of charging to 100% every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Hard to tell without seeing it in the flesh, but it does look like a very cheap plastic interior.

What is the Ioniq interior like?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If they can achieve something approaching the efficiency of the Ioniq it will be a great buy.

It should be similar, but the coefficient of drag is far worse, so don't expect the same efficiency on motorways though. That said, if you can get a 64kWh, efficiency is a lot less important :D

Should still do Cork to Dublin at 120km/h in winter I'd say
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    Hard to tell without seeing it in the flesh, but it does look like a very cheap plastic interior.

What is the Ioniq interior like?

Pretty cheap and basic. In particular the cloth seats we get here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

unkel wrote: »
    It should be similar, but the coefficient of drag is far worse, so don't expect the same efficiency on motorways though. That said, if you can get a 64kWh, efficiency is a lot less important :D

Should still do Cork to Dublin at 120km/h in winter I'd say

Pretty cheap and basic. In particular the cloth seats we get here.

Will easily do Cork to Dublin @ 120 in Winter

The Chevy Bolt is managing 300km @ 120 in freezing conditions with cabin set to 22c in the States

Its battery is even smaller @ 60kWh and worse coefficient drag @ 0.32

Its not that small either, looks like plenty of room for small kids in the back to me

Id say 300km on motorway and 400km mixed range

Thats very good imo

I agree it's a break through. The first econobox EV with a long range (that can go pretty much from anywhere in Ireland to anywhere else without charging). Just as the Ioniq was the first econobox EV with a reasonable range in 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Looks tiny, the boot also looks too small, very shallow , a Golf probably has a larger boot ?

Could be packaged far better to create more passenger room.

Seriously , why did they have to make it so small ?

Not a big fan of the interior either, perhaps I was expecting too much ?

I think this car could and should have been a lot better.

Most people dont want big cars anymore.

I showed to my wife and she loved it, if she didn't have 3 kids then it would be bought tomorrow.....`

Her sister spent stupid money buying a Hybrid C-HR......every extra she included on it,.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭positron

I think Hyundai knows their target market really well here - My wife also loved the Kona when we saw the petrol version at the dealers. They had an Ioniq right next to it, and clearly Ioniq is more spacious than Kona, boot probably more useful as well, but herself was very keen on Kona for it's looks and higher up seating position. We would still prefer an estate / mpv / 7-seater electric if there was such a thing, but there isn't (other than the eNV200 or Model X), but I feel Kona will sell very well.

Here's a decent walk around. This time in English. Gets going around the 1:50 mark.

Interestingly this guy has actually ordered a Leaf 2. He feels the Kona interior looks better with nicer materials but he feels the Leaf is better in terms of build quality.

@4:45 - The guy is 6ft 2", has plenty of room up front but when he sits behind the drivers seats in his normal driving position things are very tight.

• Advertisement

Most cars would struggle to fit a 6'2" front and back like that - although I got got sense that Kona's rear was snug enough when we looked at the petrol version. I don't think there will be any issues fitting two group 0 / group 1 seats and leg rooms (he suggested kids 3-6 as they don't need big seats - group 0/1 is for younger kids than that), but you couldn't fit an adult between two group 0/1 seats, or between a group 0/2 and a group 2 (highback booster) seat. I

Not many cars out there that can handle three child seats / or even fit two child seat + adult. Kona felt couple of cms more snug than say a Honda Accord or a Ford Focus (cars that I have experience of).

Anyway, where do I order one of these? Wife's asking! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Good review.
    It is small. The boot also looked tiny. Probably an excellent crossover if you have young children. If you have teenagers and you expect to use the back seats regularly it could be uncomfortable.

Not sure why he thinks it's a competitor to the Model 3 though!

Hopefully the Kia Niro EV will be as good with more room.... that would tick all the boxes for me then I think.

I had a look in one today too. Looked perfectly fine for 4 (even fairly tall / big) adults. But there's no way you could put 3 kids of any age in the back comfortably for a long trip. Pretty much exactly like the Captur I had last year. As others have said, these small crossovers really are only for 4 person families.

Dear Positron, many thanks for your enquiry.

We are delighted to note your interest in the exciting new Kona EV model. As you may appreciate, following its reveal at the Geneva Motor Show, initial customer interest has been overwhelming. We are currently in discussion with Hyundai Motors Corporation Europe regarding possible Model Line-up/ Specifications/ production schedules and possible arrival/ launch date for Ireland. However, no firm details are available to us at this time.

We are hopeful for that this model will be available to us sometime in Quarter 3 and will certainly retain your details on file, with a view to contacting you as soon and we have more detailed information.

Many thanks again for your interest in this exciting new model

Kind Regards

Dealer Relationship Manager,
    Hyundai Cars Ireland

positron wrote: »

We are delighted to note your interest in the exciting new Kona EV model. As you may appreciate, following its reveal at the Geneva Motor Show, initial customer interest has been overwhelming. We are currently in discussion with Hyundai Motors Corporation Europe regarding possible Model Line-up/ Specifications/ production schedules and possible arrival/ launch date for Ireland. However, no firm details are available to us at this time.

We are hopeful for that this model will be available to us sometime in Quarter 3 and will certainly retain your details on file, with a view to contacting you as soon and we have more detailed information.

Kind Regards

Hyundai Cars Ireland

Exciting times

64kWh by the end of the year

Revolution is here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Kind Regards

Hyundai Cars Ireland

Maybe we should all express an interest, they might up their allocation!

What email address did you use?

The Contact Us page on the Hyundai website goes to a specific dealer. I'd rather hit Hyundai Ireland, not a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

KCross wrote: »

We are delighted to note your interest in the exciting new Kona EV model. As you may appreciate, following its reveal at the Geneva Motor Show, initial customer interest has been overwhelming. We are currently in  discussion with Hyundai Motors Corporation Europe regarding  possible Model Line-up/ Specifications/ production schedules and possible arrival/ launch date for Ireland.  However, no firm details are available to us at this time.

We are  hopeful for that this model will be available to us sometime in Quarter 3 and will certainly retain your details on file, with a view to contacting you as soon and we have more detailed information.

Kind Regards

Hyundai Cars Ireland

Maybe we should all express an interest, they might up their allocation!

What email address did you use?

The Contact Us page on the Hyundai website goes to a specific dealer. I'd rather hit Hyundai Ireland, not a dealer.
    Ditto... I tried the contact us page (well over a week ago) but got zip back - I'd like that email address too please :)

I got that response when I emailed 'info@hyundai.ie', which I got from their 'About Us' page.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

I got that response when I emailed 'info@hyundai.ie', which I got from their 'About Us' page.
    Ta - mail sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I contacted them on facebook and they replied via facebook messenger

• Advertisement

I messaged my local Hyundai, they say they expect the electric Kona in showrooms around July.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Salesman in EP Mooney expect to have the 64kwh version by July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I've never seen a Kona on the road until today. My god it's a stunning car. Now that there's an EV version coming out, it's gone to the top of my list for my next car.

jaxxx wrote: »
    I've never seen a Kona on the road until today. My god it's a stunning car. Now that there's an EV version coming out, it's gone to the top of my list for my next car.

Really?

It's not bad overall, but those plastic wheel arches are dreadful.

Let me guess, they'll order xxxx Konas in one trim only and you'll have no option to buy a high spec one, they did this with the Ioniq because they feared they would not sell high spec Ioniqs and to make it worth their while they have to buy in bulk.

So when people are inquiring make this point that you hope they'll offer all specs and not one only like the Ioniq it was one reason I never would have bought the Ioniq, if I'm stuck with a car for 3 years I want one with decent spec.

It's a wonder they never advertised the charging speed on DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Let me guess, they'll order xxxx Konas in one trim only and you'll have no option to buy a high spec one, they did this with the Ioniq because they feared they would not sell high spec Ioniqs and to make it worth their while they have to buy in bulk.

So when people are inquiring make this point that you hope they'll offer all specs and not one only like the Ioniq it was one reason I never would have bought the Ioniq, if I'm stuck with a car for 3 years I want one with decent spec.

It's a wonder they never advertised the charging speed on DC.

The Ioniq sold in Ireland is the Premium trim, the second highest available. Aside from leather seats -- an optional extra in Ireland -- its kitted out with pretty much everything you'd want (heated seats, parking sensors, folding mirrors, Apple car play / Android auto, reversing camera, wireless phone charging etc).

I never would have bought the Ioniq, if I'm stuck with a car for 3 years I want one with decent spec.

No decent spec on Ioniq? You're making a fool of yourself by posting stuff like that, Mad_Lad
    The Ioniq sold in Ireland is the Premium trim, the second highest available. Aside from leather seats -- an optional extra in Ireland -- its kitted out with pretty much everything you'd want (heated seats, parking sensors, folding mirrors, Apple car play / Android auto, reversing camera, wireless phone charging etc).

Not to mention active cruise control, lane keep assist, auto lights, auto wipers, keyless entry / locking / start, etc. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Yeah but you have to adjust the drivers seat manually in in the Ioniq Premium. Car is literally unusable.

liamog wrote: »
    Yeah but you have to adjust the drivers seat manually in in the Ioniq Premium. Car is literally unusable.

:pac:

Also no REX. Worst car ever. :p

• Advertisement

Kind Regards

Hyundai Cars Ireland

Maybe send the same off to Kia Ireland :)

Niro 64kWh is more interesting than Kona

Advertisement