Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

DGRulz wrote: »
    Is it just me or does a military parade when not commemorating an event not feel very ... authoritarian?

Which is really odd because Trump hasn't done anything else even remotely authoritarian.

Those treasonous Democrats not standing and clapping during his state of the union however...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Venjur wrote: »
    Which is really odd because Trump hasn't done anything else even remotely authoritarian.

Those treasonous Democrats not standing and clapping during his state of the union however...

Those damn treasonous Democrats!

biden-clap.w710.h473.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Where in Dublin is in town.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Where in Dublin is in town.

City centre

Are you coming up from culchie land?

Stheno wrote: »
    City centre

He's from Connemara, not Kiltimagh ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

City centre

I'm here for a few weeks work meeting a mate in town. So is that the college green area?

I'm so Culchie I have a second language ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm here for a few weeks work meeting a mate in town. So is that the college green area?

Yes college green would be part of it

"town" is generally a reference for the whole are from O'Connell st through to Stephens green.

"town" is generally a reference for the whole are from O'Connell st through to Stephens green.

Thanks. That's a big enough area

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Thanks. That's a big enough area

Ah its a 20 min walk from the top of O'Connell St to Stephen's Green. Tis nothing.

Sorry Stheno, you are actually wrong on this one. 'Town' as far as Dublin is concerned is assigned to the part of the city that is oldest and had an original high population density.

Connemara man - you want to head to a quaint part of old Dublin towards the east of the city centre, it's called Sherrif Street and it's a beautiful part of town. You can get there on the red line. No need to thank me, have fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Don't forget, it's one of the posher parts of Dublin and they get a bit annoyed if you don't pronounce it "Sha-reef" Street.

Given you're a Westerner it might take you a few tries, so don't be surprised if they don't understand you right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Don't forget, it's one of the posher parts of Dublin and they get a bit annoyed if you don't pronounce it "Sha-reef" Street.

It's pronounced Sheddiff, you muck savage.

Oh and to avoid some confusion - if someone offers you some 'yolks' it means they have free range eggs for sale and it's considered rude to refuse.

Oh and to avoid some confusion - if someone offers you some 'yolks' it means they have free range eggs for sale and it's considered rude to refuse.

He's from Connemara, not 1920!

Zzippy wrote: »
    He's from Connemara, not 1920!

ha! good point, Connemara man, the red line refers to the luas which is a tram or what people in Connemara call an 'electric street railway'. It operates on urban streets on segregated rights of way. You will not be able to drive your cart onto the tram lines as the wheels will get stuck so you'll need to leave your horse and cart with the travellers in Smithfield market.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Make sure you hold your arm out so that the Luas stops for you.

Try to stay north of the river if you can. The southside people talk funny, have big notions, and think they're better than everyone else. It's like Cork, only worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Zzippy wrote: »
    Try to stay north of the river if you can. The southside people talk funny, have big notions, and think they're better than everyone else. It's like Cork, only worse...
    Yeah, but there's no rugby worth talking about north of the Liffey. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sorry Stheno, you are actually wrong on this one. 'Town' as far as Dublin is concerned is assigned to the part of the city that is oldest and had an original high population density.

Connemara man - you want to head to a quaint part of old Dublin towards the east of the city centre, it's called Sherrif Street and it's a beautiful part of town. You can get there on the red line. No need to thank me, have fun!

Call in to Noctors when you're there...lovely people. Make sure to ask for a pimms with ice and tell them you don't like guinness - "it's pure bog water for muck savages".

mfceiling wrote: »
    Call in to Noctors when you're there...lovely people. Make sure to ask for a pimms with ice and tell them you don't like guinness - "it's pure bog water for muck savages".

Reminds me last year I had a work meeting in Inchicore.

Not knowing anywhere else my colleague and I agreed to meet in the black horse beforehand

He got there first and ordered two lattes at the bar. He swears they nearly fell around the place laughing at him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Reminds me last year I had a work meeting in Inchicore.

Not knowing anywhere else my colleague and I agreed to meet in the black horse beforehand

He got there first and ordered two lattes at the bar. He swears they nearly fell around the place laughing at him

I saw 2 old men squaring up to each other outside the Black Horse one night...proper arms bent upwards like something from the 1800's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

mfceiling wrote: »
    I saw 2 old men squaring up to each other outside the Black Horse one night...proper arms bent upwards like something from the 1800's.

You were looking at their mirrored window again, you'd want to lay off the bucky ffs!
    :)

I have lived up here for a while in the past. But never got where town was. Because I'm used to "town" being a more compact area like Galway.

I have lived up here for a while in the past. But never got where town was. Because I'm used to "town" being a more compact area like Galway.

Have you decided where you are going or do you need recommendations? Apart from venjur and mfceilings

It's the same place as An Lár. All the buses go there in the end. :D

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's the same place as An Lár. All the buses go there in the end. :D

Not the 17 or 102

Not the 17 or 102
    Pedant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Not the 17 or 102

Stheno....you're a northsider?!

Buer wrote: »
    Stheno....you're a northsider?!

Yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This forum is disgraceful

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement