Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ionity charging network

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ELM327 wrote: »
    IEVOA is a circle jerk of manbabies and silly old men, can't see them doing anything to be honest

Are you a member! :pac::pac::pac:

Only joking, before you get offended!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I was a member and have attended their agm before, but was confronted with a shambles of an organization.
    I'm glad I'm not a member as I'd be ashamed to have them represent me for anything.

Lets not take the good news story of the Ionity chargers opening and ruin it with those other shower of eejits :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭BKtje

lafors wrote: »
    It actually looks like it would be easier for him to charge from the machine to the right in the next space....brutal.
    Do they have them in the dealers yet btw? Wouldn't mind test driving one for when the missus changes her's next April.

Was thinking exactly the same thing...or just take 3 spots to get as close as possible by parking horizontally:p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

BKtje wrote: »
    Was thinking exactly the same thing...or just take 3 spots to get as close as possible by parking horizontally:p

they should have the plugs on an arm that hangs over the car, so you can plug it in anywhere (and ideally have parking on both sides of the "pump")

You are going to need fines or else restricted access to prevent ICE-ing both of which will increase costs

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭paddy1976

Yes that's correct - so the lead can be as long as possible - at the moment it suits the left hand side of a car more than the right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Lots good and bad about the Ionity Cashel site having used them today. I'll start with the good. Great to see the ground being broken in Ireland in terms of a private charging solution, even if it is backed by monkey killing VW. When it finally worked, 23kwh in 28 minutes for my Ioniq...fast.

The bad....sigh.
    Stall 2 broke. Got an error saying charging cannot start until there is enough power...lol. Moved to stall 3 after 5 minutes chatting to support.
    The cables are far too short, this is mainly due to the fact it comes out the top of quite a tall machine...u loose most of the cables range owing to the height. Just a crappy design
    Stall 1 is a handicapped spot, no idea why!?
    No marking for EV only, so they are being iced to Fu&k.

I'd love to know if any of above is being addressed, that's a really busy garage, chargers won't work with all the icing going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Why didn’t they paint the bloody spaces while they were at it? That’s just annoying in the extreme that you could arrive and be ICEd by people gone off to McDonalds for 45 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Someone local needs to get some cones out. Nothing to stop people moving them but it does tend to deter those who don't realise, just not those who don't care.

Then again you'll have dumbass ev drivers who don't put them back afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

jusmeig wrote: »
    Lots good and bad about the Ionity Cashel site having used them today. I'll start with the good. Great to see the ground being broken in Ireland in terms of a private charging solution, even if it is backed by monkey killing VW. When it finally worked, 23kwh in 28 minutes for my Ioniq...fast.

The bad....sigh.
    Stall 2 broke. Got an error saying charging cannot start until there is enough power...lol. Moved to stall 3 after 5 minutes chatting to support.
    The cables are far too short, this is mainly due to the fact it comes out the top of quite a tall machine...u loose most of the cables range owing to the height. Just a crappy design
    Stall 1 is a handicapped spot, no idea why!?
    No marking for EV only, so they are being iced to Fu&k.

I'd love to know if any of above is being addressed, that's a really busy garage, chargers won't work with all the icing going on.

What’s the issue with one charger marked for handicap drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What’s the issue with one charger marked for handicap drivers?

It means that effectively there are only 3 chargers there. Not 4.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    It means that effectively there are only 3 chargers there. Not 4.

Yes but....

Are we trying to stop handicap spots now?

Yes but....

Are we trying to stop handicap spots now?

We don't have handicapped petrol filling stalls. This is not a parking spot, it's an ev charging point.

Handicapped spots are also usually near the entrance and convenient, this one is at a point furthest from anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I kinda agree in this instance.

1 - all they've done to ensure wheelchair friendliness is to lower the kerbs. Why not just lower them for them all? What if the disabled one is faulty or in use?

2 - the percentage of cars in the country that are electric is tiny. The percentage of disabled drivers in the country is also small. Intersect those 2 groups and the number of disabled EV drivers may even be in single figures (pure guesswork). Banning 25% of the available chargers by making it disabled only is daft. Following point 1 would make much more sense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "balls to the disabled", but this seems to be a silly way to set up these spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

jusmeig wrote: »
    We don't have handicapped petrol filling stalls. This is not a parking spot, it's an ev charging point.

Handicapped spots are also usually near the entrance and convenient, this one is at a point furthest from anything.

Could it be a case that the spot was a disabled spot before the chargers were installed and the markings are still there? I know that the marked one also had a dropped kerb, but that could be for access to all the chargers.

I don't know as I haven't been there yet. Maybe someone who has could comment if the disabled marking is new or not.

Could it be a case that the spot was a disabled spot before the chargers were installed and the markings are still there? I know that the marked one also had a dropped kerb, but that could be for access to all the chargers.

I don't know as I haven't been there yet. Maybe someone who has could comment if the disabled marking is new or not.

Very possible, I don't know Cashel services that well tho. I did remark that the actual spaces seem much wider and longer. My guess would be possibly parking for small buses, and one was a disabled spot.

Again I hope this is going to be corrected, as this is a commercial venture. If they are not in use, they are not making money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jeditraining1

ELM327 wrote: »
    IEVOA is a circle jerk of manbabies and silly old men, can't see them doing anything to be honest

A lot of people have said this about them all along and they them selfs have been criticised for it. We will see with the new bodies that have been put in place if anything changes. Personally I would doubt it

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I kinda agree in this instance.

1 - all they've done to ensure wheelchair friendliness is to lower the kerbs. Why not just lower them for them all? What if the disabled one is faulty or in use?

2 - the percentage of cars in the country that are electric is tiny. The percentage of disabled drivers in the country is also small. Intersect those 2 groups and the number of disabled EV drivers may even be in single figures (pure guesswork). Banning 25% of the available chargers by making it disabled only is daft. Following point 1 would make much more sense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "balls to the disabled", but this seems to be a silly way to set up these spaces.

Have they provided in other countries?

Have they provided in other countries?

In Norway they installed them like traditional petrol pumps where you park sideways to them, so they are all accessible.

Why re-invent the wheel? The method like traditional petrol pumps has worked well the world over for over 100 years. The perpendicular spots are for parking. No wonder they get iced all the time.

• Advertisement

And works for every EV regardless of where the charge port is put.
    The downside is that it takes more real estate and I bet thats what's driving the decisions here.

I can't imagine that would make such a difference a few extra sq m when you are putting in an install worth several hundred thousand. Probably the guts of a million if you count the time spent on planning / design and implementing it, as well as the cost of the chargers and materials. If it was a money saving exercise it is very short sighted.

KCross wrote: »
    In Norway they installed them like traditional petrol pumps where you park sideways to them, so they are all accessible.

Sorry I meant have they any of the spots in other countries marked for disabled.

Sorry I meant have they any of the spots in other countries marked for disabled.

Understood, my point was you dont need to mark them if they are laid out like petrol pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

And works for every EV regardless of where the charge port is put.
    The downside is that it takes more real estate and I bet thats what's driving the decisions here.

With my professional hat on, I agree entirely. Maybe in a brand new build the parking can be laid out in parallel if the site layout (and the client) permits, but for the most part perpendicular parking will be the norm, principally to maximise land use but also to allow the client to make late changes to the ev charging locations. Clients also want to install the buried ducting now but without the associated charge point so that they can easily install the charge point in the future without having to re-configure a whole chunk of parking space.

Understood, my point was you dont need to mark them if they are laid out like petrol pumps.

I understand, I don’t necessarily see the requirement either but I could potentially see why they might do

If they are doing in every other country it would explain why they have done here

If not it could be that the spot was like that before the charger was installed

pdpmur wrote: »
    With my professional hat on, I agree entirely. Maybe in a brand new build the parking can be laid out in parallel if the site layout (and the client) permits, but for the most part perpendicular parking will be the norm, principally to maximise land use but also to allow the client to make late changes to the ev charging locations. Clients also want to install the buried ducting now but without the associated charge point so that they can easily install the charge point in the future without having to re-configure a whole chunk of parking space.

In a place like an MSA you want to maximise car spaces to get punters into the shop/foodcourt and not give too much over to "pumps" so I can see why they have gone for the current layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

I could be missing something simple on the IONITY website but when are they expecting the Gorey chargers to be ready ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I see they have moved the pointer on the Ionity map to the Gorey MSA. Anyone see work going on there? It's been a couple of weeks since I was there and there was a stack of barriers on the grass. There must be some progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

https://www.ionitychargers.com/stations-being-built/

Going by the website is there actually two locations that chargers are going to be built in Gorey ?

One pin looks like it’s closer to the exit 23 side of Gorey while the second pin is in the new 24hr service station were there is an ecars charger also currently just before exit 22.

Advertisement